New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default All Psionics Campaign Setting -- Ideas + Brainstorming

I was looking through some interesting posts and I realized HOW much psionic stuff exists for d20 -- there's a master list of powers with like 900 items from all the various sources. Consider this, for example,

Psionic material compilation [3.5, PF]

However, there's never really been a proper all-psionics setting as such. Dreamscarred made an initial effort with the brief and cursory 3rd dawn campaign setting (which was only like 120 pages long), and a few adventures in a path that was never finished. I think Green Ronin released a not-India setting for d20 called Mindshadows. However, there has never been a completely thought-out and developed all-psionics setting, which seems like a big absence. I don't count Dark Sun, since it still has clerics and magic users, even though that is the main published psionics-using setting.

Here are some of my thoughts for a psionic setting

-I'm definitely interested in path of war/tome of battle and spheres of might. I'm torn about akasha. There are some classes in the compilation I listed above that combine akasha/incarnum in various ways. Is akasha/incarnum sufficiently different from normal Vancian magic not to hurt the all psionics quality of the setting?
    -Either there are psionic gods which are somehow different from normal gods, maybe something like the 'god minds' described by Dreamscarred Press. Alternatively, I could envisage a different cosmology with only transient and elemental planes. Instead of clerics there would be cleric-like caste of 'Channelers' that would serve some of the same functions. They would channel shadow, astral power, ethereal power, radiance, etc., and would occupy a space somewhere between kineticist/cleric/warlock. Maybe there would be psionic clerics of different emotions or other mind-like domains.
    -Magic as such wouldn't exist, but alchemy and technomancy of different varieties might. Technomancy would explicitly involve nanites instead of anything genuinely supernatural. I could imagine this setting having a strong steampunk element, at least in some domains. I could also imagine 'technology' taking on some kind of weird psionic quality -- sort of like a psionic version of Eberron. Instead of 'guns' there would be bundles of crystal rods that lobbed psi bolts, etc.
    -Unusual races: I was already imagining things like intelligent oozes, crystal people, or other strange races. Any other unusual ideas anyone want to throw out?
    -Weird monsters -- give me ideas to replace owlbears and goblins for standard foes.

-Other ideas that would fit a psionic setting? I'm currently thinking of planetary romance and anime, gundam, kinds of influences potentially.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: All Psionics Campaign Setting -- Ideas + Brainstorming

Those poor people with no psionic ability at all. They are chattel at best, going about their menial lives invisibly performing their menial tasks, literally lying in the mud so their betters can cross the street without getting their slippers dirty.
    And then there are those whose absence of psionic ability makes them invisible to the mental abilities of even the most powerful psion. Although they can be harmed by effects created by psionics, such as a hurled boulder or an explosion, direct manipulation of their minds is difficult or impossible.

The Thoughtblank
    In secret places and safe houses The Thoughtblank lie in the daylight, waiting for the darkness. In the night they sneak out to vandalize, steal, and to murder.
    For their minds, unchecked by their betters, harbor vile thoughts and cruel ambitions. Without peers to note and report crimes of the mind, treachery, corruption, and evil blossom. Their minds, warped by malice, leave their bodies weakened and subject to disease and vermin which they spread to those who, out of a misguided sense of kindness, aid them in their evasion of the lawful authority of The Unity.

Let it be known that all who are found to be Thoughtblank are perversions: parasites on society. Those who are brought to the attention of The Unity will be given work and a useful purpose under supervision, safely isolated from society. Those who are hidden so that their malice is allowed to fester and breed shall be hunted and executed.
    Make no mistake: fostering such deplorables is a crime against The Unity, and any discovered to have concealed these base monstrosities shall, at the least, be stripped of all property and publicly flogged. Those of the Lowly Caste who steal from their masters to aid the Thoughtblank will be publicly executed for their crimes.

The Will of The Unity

Player Characters
    Rogues are the most common characters with the Thoughtblank trait, but Fighters and multiclass Fighter/Rogues are not uncommon.

The Unity
    What is it?
    What is known is that powerful old psions are occasionally invited to 'join The Unity'. It is served by, and its will is made known by the Magistrates, a corps of psions who rule in the name of The Unity. Their purple and gold cloaks are distinctive, but they do not always wear them.
    Some people think The Unity is a fiction maintained by the Magistrates, while others think it is a psionic device that stores the mental energy of the elder psions. Usually, nobody thinks about it at all because those who become too curious are visited by the Magistrates in the night and made to disappear.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2021-11-03 at 11:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

BlackDragon

Interesting -- maybe some of the thoughtblanks could have psionic deadening powers similar to 1e barbarians' antimagic abilities. These might be called something like Nullminds or Unminds or Antipschics or something similar. They would be considered abominations, at least by some of the prominent psionic societies, and are ruthlessly hunted down and destroyed by a special forces sector of the psionic secret police.

I'm still thinking about the religion issue -- I was looking at 3.5 material and there is the Divine Mind class that is basically a psionic cleric. I was also thinking about the concept of 'collective unconscious' psychic reservoirs as source of psionic power -- like all adherents of a specific school share a collective subconscious pool that manifests deity like powers. It does seem like an odd idea to just have psionic clerics like the Divine Mind class. There should be some sort of in-universe rationale or permutation to the standard model to explain why there are, for example, divine minds of Hextor instead of regular clerics and warpriests. Maybe this world used to have an ordinary pantheon, but they're all sleeping now so 'clerics'/Divine Minds are tapping into the residual powers of these somnolent deities.

The monetary system might also be based on psicrystals instead of metal chips.

I am also imagining this world having a different variety of races and flora and fauna.

The seas might be made out of psionic-conducting pink or purple waters which contain the vestiges of all minds that have lived on this planet. They might be called the Soulwaters or Soulseas or something similar.

There might be standard races with a twist -- elves with psionic gems implanted in their foreheads; blind thrallherd slaver orcs with crystal tusks who navigate by echolocation; as well as more unusual choices like reptilian and different odd tauric and half-breed races.

I'm also interested in non-standard monsters -- stuff like the menagerie from Legendary Games' alien codex or xenobiology speculation: Example

I'm interested in a world that is high psionic without being post apocalyptic or necessarily dark/gritty like Dark Sun. I do think a previous age of magic might be an interesting background -- most of the weird classes and races could be adaptations of a previous standard issue high fantasy world, and a lot of creative concepts might be generated by imagining how a high magic society like Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms might adapt to magic ceasing to work and psionics becoming dominant.
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2021-11-03 at 12:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Your standard Intellect Devourer comes to mind. Mutations and permutations of the creature could range from pest, (insect-sized ones that 'eat' a point of psi power then lay 1000 eggs, spawning more,) to regional menaces, (elephant-sized ones which drain every mind in the region leaving those which survive in a zombie-like state. Maybe they can be re-taught like an infant, but the poor souls will never use a psionic ability again.)

Gem
    These felinoid life forms are crystalline, yet strangely flexible. They subsist on the strong emotions of other beings. Instead of killing a mouse, they will torment it until it is exhausted and unable to mentally project its terror. They will stalk larger predators in the hopes of stealing a bit of the terror of their victims, or the triumph of the predator.
    Gems can also be 'pet' when a psion looks at it with adoration. Those raised among humans become addicted to adoration and will learn to do 'cute' things for the humans tn admire. They always retain their wild streak and can quicly turn feral if they are abandoned.
    Some say that they can induce nightmares while others claim they are simply drawn to sleepers projecting strong emotions.

Bear-sized creatures of this type generally play with their food until it dies.

Some tiny versions of this creature type may mimic jewelry and absorb the admiration of others who see them worn. It is rumored that there are some which blunt psionic attacks when worn, but it is also rumored that they may blunt the attacks of the wearer as well.

Manipulator
    Did you see the episode of Star Trek where the glowing orb made everyone fight with swords? Yeah, that guy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

What makes is a psionic setting? What thematically makes it different? Does it feel different or is it just largely analogous mechanics?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    What makes is a psionic setting? What thematically makes it different? Does it feel different or is it just largely analogous mechanics?
    I imagine the influences being more science fiction and science fantasy than a traditional dnd setting. Barroom. Dune. Flash Gordon. Farscape. Also, probably more influences from 19th century esoteric and Buddhist and Hindu cosmology.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Your standard Intellect Devourer comes to mind. Mutations and permutations of the creature could range from pest, (insect-sized ones that 'eat' a point of psi power then lay 1000 eggs, spawning more,) to regional menaces, (elephant-sized ones which drain every mind in the region leaving those which survive in a zombie-like state. Maybe they can be re-taught like an infant, but the poor souls will never use a psionic ability again.)

Gem
    These felinoid life forms are crystalline, yet strangely flexible. They subsist on the strong emotions of other beings. Instead of killing a mouse, they will torment it until it is exhausted and unable to mentally project its terror. They will stalk larger predators in the hopes of stealing a bit of the terror of their victims, or the triumph of the predator.
    Gems can also be 'pet' when a psion looks at it with adoration. Those raised among humans become addicted to adoration and will learn to do 'cute' things for the humans tn admire. They always retain their wild streak and can quicly turn feral if they are abandoned.
    Some say that they can induce nightmares while others claim they are simply drawn to sleepers projecting strong emotions.

Bear-sized creatures of this type generally play with their food until it dies.

Some tiny versions of this creature type may mimic jewelry and absorb the admiration of others who see them worn. It is rumored that there are some which blunt psionic attacks when worn, but it is also rumored that they may blunt the attacks of the wearer as well.

Manipulator
    Did you see the episode of Star Trek where the glowing orb made everyone fight with swords? Yeah, that guy.
    I was also thinking of the role of aberrations like aboleth, illithids, and beholder. Also derro.

I am imagining something like Sarlona in Eberron with influences from other psionic sources.

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2021-12-11 at 02:13 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Ardents with mantles are essentially domain worshipping clerics but psionic.

10. - Top - End - #10

BlackDragon

I've been thinking about this setting some more and have some more ideas for major races

Githyanki practitioners of subpsionics (shadow psionics) that venerate a goddess of nightmares
    Githzerai/Daelkyr hybrids that venerate the slaad lords and proteans
    Some variety of crystaline species
    Illithids and half/ilithids
    Humanoid beholder-kin/psyclops
    Thri-Kreen

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Intelligent items and objects that are either the receptacle of the psionic mind or are imprinted with psionic energy.

A receptacle holds an image of the mind of a psion in much the same way that a flash drive holds the image of a computer program. It requires a mind with which to interact, but is otherwise inert. A telepath that is attuned to the object can interact with it as if it was a living character, but it is like a computer virus acting through the unused brain capacity of its host. A non telepath that is attuned to it may gain the use of its psionic abilities.

A receptacle may retain some psionic energy that the psion can use and recharge, and there are legends of mental copies so perfect that their potential is self-charging. These fables are probably not true. Either way, a receptacle must act through its host, and therefore the attuned character cannot exceed the ability use restrictions of any action, round, or turn.

Intentionally imprinted items are the 'magic items' of psions. They can be single-use, rechargeable, or self-charging, and some serve no other purpose than to refresh spent psionic energy.

Unintentionally imprinted objects are objects which have experienced long-term or overwhelming psionic activity.

The stone upon which a psion contemplated peace for many years may exude an aura of tranquility, while a stone used to sacrifice 1000 victims in a single night could potentially hold an aura of helpless terror. While such auras will fade over time, continued reuse of them will maintain the auras.

Another form this may take is the object carried by a psion and used for a particular purpose repeatedly. An assassin's dagger might absorb enough energy to attune to some portion of the psion's mind, for example.

Imprinted objects may create desires or moods, but very seldom is an imprint powerful enough to be sentient. For example, the sword carried by a psion who used it while waging a lifelong war on mind flayers may wordlessly urge its new wielder to wage war on mind flayers, but it lacks the capacity for self-awareness.

The Teacup of Laenzen Huai

Huai was a teacher of psionics for most of his life. Between classes he would enjoy a restorative drink from his favorite cup. A five minute break for tea using this cup can restore 20% of a psion's energy each day.

The Sword of Jarrod

Stalking the ice-fields of the South, the warrior Jarrod used this sword, a gift of his mentor, to hunt the doppleganger clans that usurped the kings of the sea lion clans in the previous generation. It is said that his arguments with his sword were quite amusing to his companions.

The Gates of Kargadan

The fortress of Kargadan held for twelve years as the Twelve Kings of the Ogre Hegemony assaulted it with wave upon wave of slave armies. All who now gaze upon it feel hopelessly impotent.

The Mantle of Linu

Linu was a powerful psion who created this mantle to store the lessons she learned in a life of study of psionics. In addition to a powerful shield against psionic attacks, she imparted knowledge of the workings of psionic energy and the most successful methods of analyzing them. The wearer of this half-cloak tends to be pedantic in her speech.

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGirl

I would love this, but would do it as:

- Only psionics, Tome of Battle, monk Ki. No spells, invocations, soulmelds, vestiges...
    - Half casters either get maneuvers or power progression accordingly
    - All spell-like abilities are psi-like abilities, all magic items psionic items
    - In-setting, psions are called wizards, wilders sorcerers, ardents clerics; soulborn paladins, psychic warriors called champions; divinities exist as groupings of mantles. Psionics have the setting functions of magic

There are a few classical magic functions that psionics lack, chiefly illusions, summons, necromancy and some healing; would add those as powers, perhaps through prestige classes. Secrets of Sarlona fills many of these gaps.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

I like the idea of leaving open akasha/incarnum (more thinking of this in PF than 3.5) because there are some prestige classes that combine these systems.
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2021-12-20 at 02:33 AM.