New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1247 - The Discussion Thread

Oh come on, that's not what I meant at all and I'm pretty sure most of you know that. If she actually does what she plans to do now, that removes the Order from the equation and results in at minimum the gods unmaking the world, that was my point; whether she changes plans after learning the potential results is a different matter entirely.

Besides, I really don't think she's going to listen to the Order unless it's crammed down her throat, possibly with a feeding tube. The only reason she talked with the paladins is because they woke up and because she had fun rubbing her smug superiority in their faces, not to listen to them. Lien literally said they can't destroy this Gate and she didn't even listen.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What is this new thing, a carpet of doom?
    Lurker.

AD&D had ceilings that drop on you (lurker), stalactites that drop on you (piercer) floors that rise up around you and grapple you (trapper), treasure chests or other objects you stick to and try to eat you (mimic), and stalagmites that spawned sticky arms that dragged you into their mouth (roper).

Most got ported in one fashion or another to 3.5. 3.5 added animated objects. Being grappled by a large persian rug was no joke, they often had constrict. I once had a whole barn attack me....it could get a little crazy. But animated objects aren't sentient, don't eat you or have eyes. This scribbler rogue likes to work with creatures that just PRETEND to be objects.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

I think you've been ninja'd like at least three times, sadly.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post
    I once had a whole barn attack me....
    Was it white?

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The creature that fell on V is likely a Lurker Above, one of several Gygaxian creations that depended on adventurers rushing ahead without checking the ceiling (like V did.)
    Yeah, so why does the title say below? It's neither a reference to the actual creature name, nor the situation in-comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncun View Post
    The creature is called a Lurker. The title is a play on the phrase "look out below".
    Why would the phrase 'look out below' be relevant to this comic?

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Well, that creature is called a lurker, and its way of attacking is pretty well represented here. There is a variation of this creature called the lurker below that lives underwater instead, but that doesn't make much sense. The only other mention of it I found was a Kraken from World of Warcraft.
    Sure, it's lurker. It's clearly represented as attacking from above. Hence my confusion as to the title of the strip.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm impressed that V was able to hit Serini with a spell that is negated by a reflex save. She should have least a +12 bonus, right?

I am also completely onboard with a montage of the Serini chase. It would give Elan a chance to complain that he missed it!

7. - Top - End - #97

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I'm impressed that V was able to hit Serini with a spell that is negated by a reflex save. She should have least a +12 bonus, right?

I am also completely onboard with a montage of the Serini chase. It would give Elan a chance to complain that he missed it!
    Saving throws in this strip pretty much work by rule of drama. They in no way come even close to realistic outcomes rolling similar numbers of dice, not really ever.

Although I wouldn't put it past Serini to deliberately fail just to show off her dim-door wand as a way to taunt V. After all...the outcome was V wrapped up when rashly pursuing her as a result of being taunted....

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Was it white?
    No. But it was also a lot bigger than a Gazebo. Also a stone barn, which added a bit to the diffculty.

Being trampled by a barn while the picket fence tries to grapple you is just part of the joys of mid-level 3.5 adventuring. It got us while we were trying to determine if the iron statue in the square was going to attack or was just a decoy.....
    Last edited by Seward; 2021-11-01 at 12:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lurker.

AD&D had ceilings that drop on you (lurker), stalactites that drop on you (piercer) floors that rise up around you and grapple you (trapper), treasure chests or other objects you stick to and try to eat you (mimic), and stalagmites that spawned sticky arms that dragged you into their mouth (roper).

Most got ported in one fashion or another to 3.5. 3.5 added animated objects. Being grappled by a large persian rug was no joke, they often had constrict. I once had a whole barn attack me....it could get a little crazy. But animated objects aren't sentient, don't eat you or have eyes. This scribbler rogue likes to work with creatures that just PRETEND to be objects.
    How did it go?
    Your party comes to a house.
    The inhabitants are monsters that will eat you.
    The floor is a monster that will eat you.
    The ceiling is a monster that will eat you.
    The walls are monsters that will eat you.
    The furniture is monsters that will eat you.
    The treasure is monsters that will eat you.
    The clothes on the floor are a monster that will eat you.
    Survived everything? Well done.
    The house is a monster that will eat you.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

...Does Animate Objects even work on a barn? Isn't it too big?

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #100

No. But it was also a lot bigger than a Gazebo. Also a stone barn, which added a bit to the diffculty.

Being trampled by a barn while the picket fence tries to grapple you is just part of the joys of mid-level 3.5 adventuring. It got us while we were trying to determine if the iron statue in the square was going to attack or was just a decoy.....
    Well, you're lucky it wasn't an iron barn a stone decoy statue! Hardness is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Colossal animated objects are a thing, you know.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you're lucky it wasn't an iron barn a stone decoy statue! Hardness is a pain.
    I've heard that animated adamantine objects are grossly under-CRed.

Colossal animated objects are a thing, you know.
    Yeah, but with the spell I think you need an insanely high CL.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think there was a mimic variant that looked like buildings.
    At least I remember something like that from a article on silly D&D monsters.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

13. - Top - End - #103

I've heard that animated adamantine objects are grossly under-CRed.
    Ouch.

Yeah, but with the spell I think you need an insanely high CL.
    32, if I'm not mistaken. (Maybe a (bunch of red) wizard(s) did it?)

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    How did it go?
    Your party comes to a house.
    The inhabitants are monsters that will eat you.
    The floor is a monster that will eat you.
    The ceiling is a monster that will eat you.
    The walls are monsters that will eat you.
    The furniture is monsters that will eat you.
    The treasure is monsters that will eat you.
    The clothes on the floor are a monster that will eat you.
    Survived everything? Well done.
    The house is a monster that will eat you.
    Ah, Castle Heterodyne. "Avoid any floorstone marked in white. It is a trap that will kill you. Do not stand under any part of the ceiling marked in white. It is a trap that will kill you..."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Serini thinking that she's right doesn't change the fact that if she succeeds it really will likely result in the end of this world at minimum.
    Funny, you could have made that exact same argument about the Order destroying Girard's Gate. And yet.

Either intentions matter, and you should cut her a break, or intentions don't matter and you should be much harsher on the Order for directly blowing up two Gates. Instead, you are saying the protagonists should get every benefit of every doubt and it sucks for anyone else. This may be surprising, but I have an issue with that massive double standard.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-11-01 at 12:39 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #106

I expect Elan will now be able to talk down Sunny. How the rest of the order deals with Serini is probably going to surprise me.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Funny, you could have made that exact same argument about the Order destroying Girard's Gate. And yet.
    To be fair, the Order kind of knew from Girard's device that Kraagor's Gate is still standing and knew for sure that Xykon will arrive to Girard's first.

Either intentions matter, and you should cut her a break, or intentions don't matter and you should be much harsher on the Order for directly blowing up two Gates.
    (To be fair (again), in the strictest sense, Dorukan's wasn't destroyed by the Order, but rather by Elan and the rest of the Order was pissed (for various reasons, admittedly).)

Instead, you are saying the protagonists should get every benefit of every doubt and it sucks for anyone else. This may be surprising, but I have an issue with that massive double standard.
    That's a good point, of course. That said, it would be easier to sympathize with Serini if she wasn't an incredibly smug jerk.

18. - Top - End - #108

To be fair, the Order kind of knew from Girard's device that Kraagor's Gate is still standing and knew for sure that Xykon will arrive to Girard's first.
    But they didn't know it would trigger a Godsmoot to vote on whether to destroy the world, and further didn't know they were transporting an agent to hijack said moot to ensure the vote went to destruction. Their intent on both was good, but had "this will probably make the world blow up" consequences. And since I don't mind giving them the benefit of the doubt for their intentions, I can hardly deny that same courtesy to Serini.

19. - Top - End - #109

ClericGuy

But they didn't know it would trigger a Godsmoot to vote on whether to destroy the world, and further didn't know they were transporting an agent to hijack said moot to ensure the vote went to destruction. Their intent on both was good, but had "this will probably make the world blow up" consequences. And since I don't mind giving them the benefit of the doubt for their intentions, I can hardly deny that same courtesy to Serini.
    On the other hand, the negative consequences of the orders actions were nearly impossible to learn beforehand.
    Serini only needs to talk to the order to get new Intel. If she can / should trust the info she would learn this way is another question.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

20. - Top - End - #110

Again, fair, but like I said, the problem with Serini isn't the sum of her intentions. It's her attitude.
    The Order tries to do its best and often fails; Serini does what she think is the best and is wrong in a number of ways. That's not an issue. But the Order's shortcomings don't stem from them thinking they are always the smartest fellows in the room.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-11-01 at 01:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

While I presume Rich plans for this to flow naturally once it’s all done, I’m getting a little tired of “Serini counters everything the Order does”. Hopefully this chase ends before next Halloween.

That being said I chuckled at V’s line in the last panel.
    Serini is putting forth an excellent demonstration for the old balance argument that anything a sufficiently prepared Wizard can do, a sufficiently prepared Skillmonkey can replicate or counter with WBL and UMD. In short: she's playing an effective Rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh come on, that's not what I meant at all and I'm pretty sure most of you know that. If she actually does what she plans to do now, that removes the Order from the equation and results in at minimum the gods unmaking the world, that was my point; whether she changes plans after learning the potential results is a different matter entirely.

Besides, I really don't think she's going to listen to the Order unless it's crammed down her throat, possibly with a feeding tube. The only reason she talked with the paladins is because they woke up and because she had fun rubbing her smug superiority in their faces, not to listen to them. Lien literally said they can't destroy this Gate and she didn't even listen.
    Yeah... so? it's the beggining of the arc, there needs to be some drama from somewhere...
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Given that Serini's whole shtick is "monsters are people too", am I the only one who's put off by how willing she is to use them as meat shields and fodder? Sure, Sunny should be able to take care of herself, but the Order could very easily kill Franklin and this lurker (and don't have much incentive not to).

24. - Top - End - #114

On the other hand, the negative consequences of the orders actions were nearly impossible to learn beforehand.
    Serini only needs to talk to the order to get new Intel. If she can / should trust the info she would learn this way is another question.
    Yes, but talking to them weakens her position. If she talked to them, then she would have rebuffed them and they would be more likely to be prepared to fight her. As is, they were wholly unprepared to fight her and she had a significantly more advantageous position. She was doing the best to defend her Gate from all threats, such as from the people who blew up two Gates. Again, hard to fault her for that intent.
    Again, fair, but like I said, the problem with Serini isn't the sum of her intentions. It's her attitude.
    The Order tries to do its best and often fails; Serini does what she think is the best and is wrong in a number of ways. That's not an issue. But the Order's shortcomings don't stem from them thinking they are always the smartest fellows in the room.
    V certainly thought that when they cast Familicide, which completely decimated Girard's Gate's defenses. And then they figured they knew best when they destroyed Girard's Gate, despite that this directly triggered a vote on whether to pre-emptively destroy the world. Roy certainly figured he knew best when they toted a vampire around the world, delivering him just in time to sabotage said vote.

Again, hard to blame Serini when I don't blame the Order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsaan View Post
    Given that Serini's whole shtick is "monsters are people too", am I the only one who's put off by how willing she is to use them as meat shields and fodder? Sure, Sunny should be able to take care of herself, but the Order could very easily kill Franklin and this lurker (and don't have much incentive not to).
    Being people means they can make choices for themselves. They're willing to help Serini. She's not a slavemaster. She's their ally, and they may be willing to die for the cause. That's their choice.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-11-01 at 02:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Your mileage may vary. I, for one, feel like they're showing more competence here than in the second half of the Dining Room fight. They had a strong start with the chaos giraffes, but as soon as the vampires used Dispel Magic (a pretty predictable tactic) they were dead in the water. I don't necessarily feel they were incompetent in that fight, but I don't think they displayed any worse decision-making here. And in fact, I feel they've gotten demonstratably better at thinking on their feet and improvising.
    And all of this having the tactical leader KO im the first round.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Yeah, so why does the title say below? It's neither a reference to the actual creature name, nor the situation in-comic.
    They're underground, so the Lurker Above is technically Below. Don't overthink it

Quote Originally Posted by Larsaan View Post
    You are not, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Your mileage may vary. I, for one, feel like they're showing more competence here than in the second half of the Dining Room fight. They had a strong start with the chaos giraffes, but as soon as the vampires used Dispel Magic (a pretty predictable tactic) they were dead in the water. I don't necessarily feel they were incompetent in that fight, but I don't think they displayed any worse decision-making here. And in fact, I feel they've gotten demonstratably better at thinking on their feet and improvising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    And all of this having the tactical leader KO im the first round.
    Aye. They're doing dang well for such a difficult fight, and continuously doing better. They have Serini going purely on the defensive, she's on the run.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-11-01 at 02:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

HalflingRogueGuy

By competent I mean “able to do crap”. They… haven’t actually done much because Serini keeps pulling out contingencies out her ass. Ten quatloos says that another of her monsters is trying to eat the rest of the Order right now.
    They acomplished don't being captured by an epic ambusher, I don't think that is "a crap".

29. - Top - End - #119

ClericGuy

Yes, but talking to them weakens her position. If she talked to them, then she would have rebuffed them and they would be more likely to be prepared to fight her. As is, they were wholly unprepared to fight her and she had a significantly more advantageous position. She was doing the best to defend her Gate from all threats, such as from the people who blew up two Gates. Again, hard to fault her for that intent.
    It would probably be even more easier for Serini to capture the order by faking cooperation first. Agree to talk to them, hear them out and use an ambush / drugs in their drinks / some other trap when they trust her.

The way she executed her trap, the order knew they were running into an ambush when they entered the cave. They failed to detect the kind of trap Serini had prepared and what kind of resources she could use.
    But Serini herself was not that essential to the ambush. Any other ranged attacker could have taken her place.
    So knowing Sereni is alive and involved would not have helped the order that much. And Serini could have outed herself to the order, without telling them about her sunny son.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

30. - Top - End - #120

It would probably be even more easier for Serini to capture the order by faking cooperation first.
    Which is probably what she thought they were doing. Either way is a risk, so she opted for "not give them any information" rather than "give them. Information they might use to try to ambush me".