New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Book of Boba Fett - First Trailer

It all sounds like a bunch of Hooeeyy to me.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Am I only one getting constant “this is written just like a RPG game” from both Mandalorian and now Book of Fett?

Like “In order to proceed to the next area, you have to collect this item” or the morality choice in Episode 3 (side with man reporting the issue or the Mos Vespa gang).

Have these episodic shows always been like that or this somehow overly blatant with this feel?

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Well that episode was lackluster.

Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously didn't expect the tusken clan to go out like that. Off-screen even, what the hell? I thought they'd be the cavalry during the finale and explain why Boba didn't seem to care about amassing a fighting force.

Still, the dredlock warrior wasn't shown among the dead, so she might show up.

I guess the Pykes are the big bads for now?

What the hell was this American Graffiti gang and this slow and overly long chase scene?

Also, who in Tattoine commissioned a painting of Jabba's court?

How come Mos Eisley isn't Boba's territory? I thought he'd laid claim to all of Tatooine, but apparently it's just Mos Espa?

Looking forward to Boba riding a freaking Rancor around. Also, the Nightsisters riding rancors, that's from Legends.

Also, Machete is in Star Wars, nice! And in a show full of criminal scum, he's playing... an animal trainer!

Also, agreed on the quality of the Wookiee fight. I was hoping he'd kill at least one person. Or that they were going to keep him down there as a replacement rancor to feed people Boba doesn't like to.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler: Camp & Gaffi Stick
    Show
    Never thought I’d be so sad to see Tuskens taken out. I wish we could’ve spent more time with them.

Also, not sure why he wanted to burn his gaffi stick, since he spent so much time not only crafting it, but becoming who he needed to be to craft it.

Maybe for him, adding the stick to the pyre was the ultimate tribute…but if I’d made one of those I’d damn well keep it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can see it on his back when he's walking away. He must have taken it off for the funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    William Fontaine de La Tour Dauterive.
    This is the most "old French money" name I've heard in a while. Does this guy own a vineyard in Bourgogne or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Spoiler: Weaker points
    Show
    Also, I'd have thought the Pyke syndicate whould have had other travel options rather than public transport, but even if they did not, they seem to be having some cash flow/reputation issues post ROTJ, though the Hutts seem to be rather weary of them...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fennec seems to thing these are just the vanguard. They're trying to pass themselves as normal travellers on business on Tatooine rather than the first of an "invasion" force.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-01-12 at 05:36 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    What the hell was this American Graffiti gang and this slow and overly long chase scene?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The chase would have been shorter if they had gone faster than a light jog.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, who in Tattoine commissioned a painting of Jabba's court?
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's actually concept art from the original movies!

Spoiler
    Show
    How come Mos Eisley isn't Boba's territory? I thought he'd laid claim to all of Tatooine, but apparently it's just Mos Espa?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've been asking that since the first episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking forward to Boba riding a freaking Rancor around.
    Spoiler
    Show
    AGREED

This is the most "old French money" name I've heard in a while. Does this guy own a vineyard in Bourgogne or what?
    He owns a small ranch-style house in Arlen, Texas.
    Spoiler: He's the one on the left
    Show
    He's voiced by Stephen Root, who plays the water monger in the show. Stephen Root is an amazing actor who is in a ton of things and always knocks it out of the park.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-12 at 05:53 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I've been asking that since the first episode.
    I mean, up until now, I had assumed Mos Espa got all the attention because it's the closer and bigger town.

He owns a small ranch-style house in Arlen, Texas.
    Spoiler: He's the one on the left
    Show
    Well, talk about someone not looking like their name. Has he got Québecois or Lousiane ancestry or something?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-01-12 at 06:00 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #336

Well, talk about someone not looking like their name. Has he got Québecois or Lousiane ancestry or something?
    He's originally from Louisiana. Extended family is super French Creole, own a large plantation, and he even speaks fluent French (though he is not aware of this until he meets them).

But yeah, his incredibly elegant-sounding name is part of the joke. Most of the time he's just called Bill (or Bill Dauterive). Bill is.... the complete antithesis of old-money French. King of the Hill is a really funny show. Dunno how well the jokes would hold up outside of America, though. There's the possibility that you'd watch it and say "what's the punchline? This is just what I imagine an accurate portrayal of small-town Texas is".
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-12 at 06:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
    Am I only one getting constant “this is written just like a RPG game” from both Mandalorian and now Book of Fett?

Like “In order to proceed to the next area, you have to collect this item” or the morality choice in Episode 3 (side with man reporting the issue or the Mos Vespa gang).

Have these episodic shows always been like that or this somehow overly blatant with this feel?
    I've got a friend group that's split between people who loved mandalorian and are enjoying Book, people who felt/feel it's like watching someone play a video game, and people who agree on both, so yeah.

I'd say this episode had it rather badly, despite being a decent episode at further setting up the story:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Tusken Camp massacre felt exactly like a game contriving a reason for you to be absent so people can raid your "homebase". There's the trope of "new MC ruler of area has to deal with every minor issue personally". There's getting to know the various factions at the start of the "kingdom management" portion and making your first "meaningful choices" as ruler that affects your starting position. Those aren't bad story elements, but the way they're done does give off a very strong rpg-feel.

Though if they are looking at RPG's for inspiration, adding the KOTOR swoop racing minigame was probably a bad choice Should've listened to Alistair's opinion on those things.

But really, the last thing I expected was for Fett to take over a teenage swoop gang. Nor the weird chase scene that would've fit into something like Kung Fury. It was fun to watch, but really out of left field.

8. - Top - End - #338

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    I've got a friend group that's split between people who loved mandalorian and are enjoying Book, people who felt/feel it's like watching someone play a video game, and people who agree on both, so yeah.
    I agree on both. The friends in your friend group who agree on both, they're the correct ones.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler: so far
    Show
    I'm not as impressed with the series as I was with Mandalorian at this point. There have been a couple nice shots and special effects sequences. The train sequence was decently exciting. But for the most part, the fight and action choreography have been sub-par. I was underwhelmed with the assassin ambush in ep1. The Wookiee fight was horrible- I agree with others about what is wrong with it. The action directors don't seem to have any common sense regarding combat tactics or making these characters, who are supposed to be elite assassins and hunters, seem threatening.

So far, Boba's actions don't make him seem like a competent person at all. I mean, he worked closely with Jabba for years, has extensive experience dealing with these types of cartels, but seems to have learned nothing about running a gang from that experience. I understand that it is the show's budget and probably Covid policies that are to blame for the sparseness of actors/extras in the show - but knowing this, they probably should have rewritten things so that it didn't look like Boba was claiming to be ruler of the city with just three people following him. Now he has four more, inexperienced kids with stupid looking scooters. Why would you declare yourself "daimyo" before you had built up a large enough gang of loyal followers to actually be able to threaten the other gangs? Did he really think it was just as easy as killing one guy, sitting on the chair, and everyone was going to come bow down to him? I guess we need to wait and see if there is some twist planned, like he knew all along how this would play out and he's intentionally trying to look weak to draw out the real enemies (the Pykes?) and surprise them. Now that we know his family of Tuskens were murdered, it doesn't seem like he's going to be using Tusken fighters to surprise anyone- I suppose we could still get more flashbacks wherein he goes to other Sandpeople tribes and convinces them to support him, but I'm doubtful. No, it seems like they're going more for a "gang of misfits" approach, where he is slowly accumulating followers who become loyal due to his integrity and respectful behavior. I almost guarantee that the wookiee is going to come back and help Boba in a clutch moment, in thanks for sparing his life (he also acted very incompetently for someone that is supposed to be an elite hunter and warrior). The process of forming the gang should have come before he publicly declared himself the ruler of the city. I mean, it's fine to have a flawed protagonist who makes mistakes, acts impulsively, even. I suppose his behavior in RotJ does make him seem very impulsive and overconfident- however I still think his long career in the criminal underworld would have given him more common sense than this.

It was mentioned for the second episode in a row that Tatooine used to have oceans and brought up problems with water, which makes me think there's still a possibility of him trying to bring moisture back to the planet through something he saw in his vision, and become a savior to all the downtrodden and mistreated (not that I'd like such a plot, necessarily, but I can see them going this way).

Also- we're supposed to believe this Rancor has been blindfolded for its entire life up to this point so it couldn't imprint on anyone? I know he said it's a "cub", and it does look slightly smaller than the one in RotJ, but it is honestly hard for me to suspend disbelief on that point. There's no way a creature that big was not born much, much smaller, and opened its eyes a long time ago. They could have just shown Boba treating it kindly and thereby earning its loyalty, rather than including that bit of nonsense.

edit: more gripes - Fennec's presence has been almost completely pointless so far. Ming Na Wen is getting nothing to do, she just follows Boba around doing his bidding, for apparently no reason at this point. I assumed from the end of Mandalorian that she went with him originally because she wanted a piece of the pie and thought that the two of them, working together as elite warriors, would be able to score big in the power vacuum on Tatooine. But she seems to be treating him like her superior, follows orders without question, and doesn't have any useful input into what's going on. The writers haven't given her any apparent motive or personality or relationship with anybody. They just put her in the show because she's a character people thought was cool from the first series, but didn't give her an actual role in the story.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2022-01-12 at 07:07 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

The entire structure and problems are copied lock stock and barrel not once but twice from the prequels to both the KOTOR1 and TOR Jedi. Hell they even copied the chairs. The old adage that the least interesting part of Star Wars are the force users.
    Again, how is KOTOR's apparent lack of creativity on George? They could have written a story that wasn't copied if they wanted

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr
    Most video games operate on the principle of a single character or small group of characters with a list of things they have to do, one that keeps growing even as they check off various boxes. Any narrative that plays out in roughly this fashion therefore has a tendency to feel similar. Book of Boba Fett is mostly, so far, a list of things Boba does and the complications he encounters while doing them. Manadalorian was like that too. To a degree any work that focuses so heavily on a single character - Mando and Boba are both in an overwhelming majority of the scenes of their respective shows - is going to feel like that.

Shows done this way aren't all that common any more, in part because having one actor be in such a huge number of shots is burdensome on production compared to splitting the duties across a larger group (Mandalorian, by having Mando keep his helmet on all the time, worked around this in that Pedro Pascal simply wasn't on set for all those shots).

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Spoiler: so far
    Show

Also- we're supposed to believe this Rancor has been blindfolded for its entire life up to this point so it couldn't imprint on anyone? I know he said it's a "cub", and it does look slightly smaller than the one in RotJ, but it is honestly hard for me to suspend disbelief on that point. There's no way a creature that big was not born much, much smaller, and opened its eyes a long time ago. They could have just shown Boba treating it kindly and thereby earning its loyalty, rather than including that bit of nonsense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Many animals undergo an extremely rapid period of growth shortly following birth and may reach a size, but not strength or physiological maturity, comparable to an adult in a very short period. This is common in both birds and many mammals, including long-lived animals such as raptors and many large ungulates (horses and cattle for example). It is uncommon in extant 'reptiles' because these animals are predominantly ectothermic (though some crocodilians grow quite rapidly in their early years). Rancors are classified as 'reptiles' but this is a broadly meaningless term. It's likely that they are endothermic (Legends sources imply this, saying that rancors were in danger of overheating if they exerted themselves too rapidly) and they could easily grow very rapidly as a result. A 'cub' could easily be a two years old if Rancors live for a century, which is not implausible.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Most video games operate on the principle of a single character or small group of characters with a list of things they have to do, one that keeps growing even as they check off various boxes. Any narrative that plays out in roughly this fashion therefore has a tendency to feel similar. Book of Boba Fett is mostly, so far, a list of things Boba does and the complications he encounters while doing them. Manadalorian was like that too. To a degree any work that focuses so heavily on a single character - Mando and Boba are both in an overwhelming majority of the scenes of their respective shows - is going to feel like that.

Shows done this way aren't all that common any more, in part because having one actor be in such a huge number of shots is burdensome on production compared to splitting the duties across a larger group (Mandalorian, by having Mando keep his helmet on all the time, worked around this in that Pedro Pascal simply wasn't on set for all those shots).

Spoiler
    Show
    Many animals undergo an extremely rapid period of growth shortly following birth and may reach a size, but not strength or physiological maturity, comparable to an adult in a very short period. This is common in both birds and many mammals, including long-lived animals such as raptors and many large ungulates (horses and cattle for example). It is uncommon in extant 'reptiles' because these animals are predominantly ectothermic (though some crocodilians grow quite rapidly in their early years). Rancors are classified as 'reptiles' but this is a broadly meaningless term. It's likely that they are endothermic (Legends sources imply this, saying that rancors were in danger of overheating if they exerted themselves too rapidly) and they could easily grow very rapidly as a result. A 'cub' could easily be a two years old if Rancors live for a century, which is not implausible.
    Spoiler: rancors
    Show
    Granted it could grow very quickly, it was the keeping its eyes closed for its entire life to this point that I found incredible. I suppose I didn't want to think that anyone was monstrous enough to keep an animal completely blinded for years of its life, seeing how aware of the Rancor's emotions the keeper seems to be, but everything that happens in the outer rim does seem pretty brutal. So they just put blinders on the second it's born, and then feed it and lead it around and keep it chained up until its almost fully matured? Why wouldn't they have imprinted it shortly after birth on its original intended owner? I can only imagine the horrible behavioral pathologies such a traumatic existence would create. But I guess it is the Hutts' way, afterall...

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Spoiler: rancors
    Show
    Granted it could grow very quickly, it was the keeping its eyes closed for its entire life to this point that I found incredible. I suppose I didn't want to think that anyone was monstrous enough to keep an animal completely blinded for years of its life, seeing how aware of the Rancor's emotions the keeper seems to be, but everything that happens in the outer rim does seem pretty brutal. So they just put blinders on the second it's born, and then feed it and lead it around and keep it chained up until its almost fully matured? Why wouldn't they have imprinted it shortly after birth on its original intended owner? I can only imagine the horrible behavioral pathologies such a traumatic existence would create. But I guess it is the Hutts' way, afterall...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hutts are literally inhumanly cruel, keeping an animal blinded for a year or two is nothing by their standards. I mean one of the Twins is using a live rabbit-like animal as some kind of combination stress ball/handkerchief, a situation so stressful the life expectancy is probably measured in days. It's probable that the Hutt rancor breeders mark down some percentage of all births for this treatment so they are suitable gifts to whomever the Hutts favor (presumably this is usually other Hutts).

On a broader note this sort of thing is actually fairly common in Star Wars, which is actually a shockingly cruel and brutal galaxy even during the 'good times' - which the present circumstances clearly aren't - but strives to maintain a Teen/PG rating and therefore must carefully slide the full truth of how bad things actually are into the background.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Hutts are literally inhumanly cruel, keeping an animal blinded for a year or two is nothing by their standards. I mean one of the Twins is using a live rabbit-like animal as some kind of combination stress ball/handkerchief, a situation so stressful the life expectancy is probably measured in days. It's probable that the Hutt rancor breeders mark down some percentage of all births for this treatment so they are suitable gifts to whomever the Hutts favor (presumably this is usually other Hutts).

On a broader note this sort of thing is actually fairly common in Star Wars, which is actually a shockingly cruel and brutal galaxy even during the 'good times' - which the present circumstances clearly aren't - but strives to maintain a Teen/PG rating and therefore must carefully slide the full truth of how bad things actually are into the background.
    Quite true. we've got people enslaved and controlled with surgically implanted explosives. Huge numbers of apparently fully sentient robots that are considered property no different than inanimate objects. entire planets that are turned into industrial hellscapes. weapons designed and used for exploding populated planets. Of course, there's the constant titular wars.

15. - Top - End - #345

Honestly surprised you linked that video and not this.
    HAHA, yes, so very much so *YES*! I've completely forgotten about that scene from Seinfeld, but it reflects exactly how I saw that 'chase' scene, thanks!!

Hey now, I resemble that remark! (or at least my wife's family does ;) )
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 2022-01-13 at 05:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Hey now, I resemble that remark! (or at least my wife's family does ;) )
    Does your wife's family own a vineyard in Bourgogne or do they have the kind of name you'd expect to have "Comte" before?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-01-13 at 05:48 AM.

17. - Top - End - #347

Does your wife's family own a vineyard in Bourgogne or do they have the kind of name you'd expect to have "Comte" before?
    Technically, both. Wife's mom's side is of the 'de ' variety and their summer home is complete with paintings of their long deceased relatives.

For the vineyard part, they still own land (and vines, though I'm not sure if they are the families or the vintners who operates on it) in the Côte Challonaise, though they, themselves, have nothing to do with the production of wine. Personally, we're on the a bit north of Dijon, so hardly any vines up here after the phylloxera plague, unfortunately.

But no, no name as impressive as Daughterys patronym ;)

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

With regards to the Rancor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Keep in mind the source. The twins pull one assassination attempt and then leave? Giving Boba a truly un-imprinted Rancor as they go? Or..... has Danny Trejo's Character already imprinted the Rancor and they want to *convince* Boba it's not imprinted and going to be loyal to him? Could go either way but I'm suspicious.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    With regards to the Rancor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Keep in mind the source. The twins pull one assassination attempt and then leave? Giving Boba a truly un-imprinted Rancor as they go? Or..... has Danny Trejo's Character already imprinted the Rancor and they want to *convince* Boba it's not imprinted and going to be loyal to him? Could go either way but I'm suspicious.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A rancor on Tatooine is mostly a vanity item. There do not appear to be fighting pits there where it could potentially make money as a gladiatorial beast, so its mostly a gratuitous and intimidating execution mechanism as far as the Twins are concerned. That's a nice thing to have - I'm sure every Hutt prefers to be able to say 'feed him to the Rancor!' when it strikes their fancy - but it's ultimately hardly more effective than just shooting people, and actually a lot more expensive since you have to feed and house the beast and pay for a trainer. It's entirely possible that bringing the rancor back to Nal Hutta, where the Twins presumably already have one since they bred this one, is a sunk cost and it's actually better for business to simply give it away. Kind of like how sometimes it's cheaper to simply leave construction equipment out in the Sahara when the job's done rather than trying to haul it back to Shanghai or New Orleans.

The show is making a point that Boba has different priorities than the Twins. They appear to be pretty much all business, he's not. It's actually not clear why exactly he's doing this - revenge seems to be part of it, but it feels like there's more to it than that - but he clearly decides to keep the rancor not out of any sort of business-minded calculation, but simply because it's awesome. Can't fault Boba there, or Temuera Morrison either, who seems poised to achieve the 'first live-action Rancor-rider in Star Wars' title, which, I mean, who wouldn't want that).

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Alternatively, the Hutt can be genuine in their gift to Boba.

A rancor is a symbol of status on Tatooine. Jabba had one, the moment you hear his successor also has one, he is a lot more legitimate in the eyes of the population.

Why would the Hutt give Boba a Rancor when the last day they tried to have him killed? For the very genuine reason that the Pykes are coming. Coming in force.

That means suddenly, Boba Fett stopped being an interloper on their territory, but as a local power they can support to make one of their rim-scale crime lord rivals the Pyke Syndicate.

Any Pyke money or soldier wasted on or by Boba Fett is a net positive for the Hutt. The Damyio of Tatooine is (pun intended) little fish to fry compared to the Pykes, so they are happy to let them fight each other and give him whatever resource they care to throw at him.
    Last edited by Cikomyr2; 2022-01-13 at 09:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alternatively, the Hutt can be genuine in their gift to Boba.

A rancor is a symbol of status on Tatooine. Jabba had one, the moment you hear his successor also has one, he is a lot more legitimate in the eyes of the population.

Why would the Hutt give Boba a Rancor when the last day they tried to have him killed? For the very genuine reason that the Pykes are coming. Coming in force.

That means suddenly, Boba Fett stopped being an interloper on their territory, but as a local power they can support to make one of their rim-scale crime lord rivals the Pyke Syndicate.

Any Pyke money or soldier wasted on or by Boba Fett is a net positive for the Hutt. The Damyio of Tatooine is (pun intended) little fish to fry compared to the Pykes, so they are happy to let them fight each other and give him whatever resource they care to throw at him.
    That all follows pretty well. I'm on board with this.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Cikomyr2
    Spoiler
    Show
    The [Daimyo] of Tatooine is (pun intended) little fish to fry....
    Spoiler: Go Fish
    Show
    Not seeing the pun. How is a daimyo a fish?

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler: Go Fish
    Show
    Not seeing the pun. How is a daimyo a fish?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That all follows pretty well. I'm on board with this.
    Ditto. I like the idea of the Hutts not wanting to spend good money after bad fighting with Boba and now the Pikes as well.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Fish
    Show
    Sigh.

And here I was thinking they were what Hallucigenia would look like if it evolved into a biped.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I'd speculate that in Legends, the reason why the Jedi are allowed to marry and have kids during the New Sith Wars era, when there were Jedi dynasties, was due to the difficulties of finding raw recruits in a galaxy dominated by battling Sith factions.

"Breeding their own Jedi" means they don't have to go out and search for recruits, or have their recruit influx limited because people aren't testing their infants for Jedi Potential.
    In addition to the "have a bunch of babies" time honored method of making new troops, same as any other power, Star Wars canonically has cloning as an option. Not saying it's always available, or always a *good* idea, because it seems to go awry pretty frequently, but, uh, so do most jedi, it seems.

Thus, it seems like the Jedi have some options for replenishment.

Narratively, though, yeah, the Jedi are often in danger. That's just an easy way to up the stakes. Gotta have the hero outnumbered, after all.

Any ways, Boba Fett. Im through episode 3, and have...mixed feelings. It doesn't seem bad. I like the crime lord premise. However, there is surprisingly little crime lording. Boba doesn't seem to do much in the way of actual crime, nor does he have his underlings really do much crime. I want to see a clever heist or something. I get if you want a teensy bit of antiheroism, so the main character isn't a full on villain, but he probably shouldn't be full heart of gold either.

There has been...an awful lot of buildup for the sand people to not really pay off all that much. ]

I would like to also register my displeasure for the "bad guy could murder someone, but tosses him a convenient way away to allow him to get back up" trope. It's not just here, but it shows up a *ton*. Either that or the "cut so rapidly you can see nothing, and play punching sounds" sort of fights are very unconvincing.

The speeders are indeed very...unspeedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldo View Post

Naw, it's definitely noticeable. Mandalorian very much had the "another side quest" feel. I enjoyed the show regardless, but structure wise, both shows are pretty basic.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Any ways, Boba Fett. Im through episode 3, and have...mixed feelings. It doesn't seem bad. I like the crime lord premise. However, there is surprisingly little crime lording. Boba doesn't seem to do much in the way of actual crime, nor does he have his underlings really do much crime. I want to see a clever heist or something. I get if you want a teensy bit of antiheroism, so the main character isn't a full on villain, but he probably shouldn't be full heart of gold either.
    Boba's operating at the 'kingpin' level of criminal enterprise, which mostly doesn't involve getting your hands dirty and instead means taking payments from subordinate enterprises which operate under the umbrella of your protective imprimatur. The term daimyo actually makes a lot of sense in this context, since the relationship is rather feudal in structure. Boba provides protection, and his subordinates provide him tribute. Its a classic protection racket, mafia style, and just like in the mafia if all is going well the Don doesn't actually have to do much day to day. Reputation is critical in this business because the way you make money is by leveraging your reputation to intimidate rivals, law enforcement, and all other parties into letting your subordinate businesses continue to operate without actually shelling out a huge fortune in security costs. This is what the Twins mean with regard to war being bad for business - because mercenaries hoover up all the money you're making for defense.

28. - Top - End - #358

Flumph

Boba's operating at the 'kingpin' level of criminal enterprise, which mostly doesn't involve getting your hands dirty and instead means taking payments from subordinate enterprises which operate under the umbrella of your protective imprimatur. The term daimyo actually makes a lot of sense in this context, since the relationship is rather feudal in structure. Boba provides protection, and his subordinates provide him tribute. Its a classic protection racket, mafia style, and just like in the mafia if all is going well the Don doesn't actually have to do much day to day. Reputation is critical in this business because the way you make money is by leveraging your reputation to intimidate rivals, law enforcement, and all other parties into letting your subordinate businesses continue to operate without actually shelling out a huge fortune in security costs. This is what the Twins mean with regard to war being bad for business - because mercenaries hoover up all the money you're making for defense.
    I just caught up with the series and I have mixed feelings about it so far.

Spoiler: One big problem I have though is your description is how it should be working in the show, and the show isn't doing that.
    Show
    Boba just basically walked into Jabba's house, crashed on his couch, and expected everyone to carry on as normal but with him in charge. Boba didn't take over Jabba's crew, he didn't even have subordinates other than Shand until he spared the two bodyguards.

He doesn't have an organization at all, and that's what's feeling so off about it. Even adding Cammie and Fixer's group in Ep. 3 it still feels like he's woefully understaffed to be taken seriously as a mafia kingpin. Fett has to know he needs more than just a rep to take over Jabba's spoils, right? Maul managed to figure this out faster.

I am loving that Santy has now been added to a live-action production though and I'd dearly love to see Aphra follow at some point.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2022-01-18 at 09:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    I just caught up with the series and I have mixed feelings about it so far.

Spoiler: One big problem I have though is your description is how it should be working in the show, and the show isn't doing that.
    Show
    Boba just basically walked into Jabba's house, crashed on his couch, and expected everyone to carry on as normal but with him in charge. Boba didn't take over Jabba's crew, he didn't even have subordinates other than Shand until he spared the two bodyguards.

He doesn't have an organization at all, and that's what's feeling so off about it. Even adding Cammie and Fixer's group in Ep. 3 it still feels like he's woefully understaffed to be taken seriously as a mafia kingpin. Fett has to know he needs more than just a rep to take over Jabba's spoils, right? Maul managed to figure this out faster.
    Yes, that is very much a problem with the show, there's an imbalance of scale. Not a new issue with Star Wars productions that one.

Spoiler
    Show
    The show did mention that Bib Fortuna had nothing like Jabba's power and relied on an alliance of stakeholders to control Mos Espa, and it's fairly clearly we're really talking about one modestly sized city here, not the nearly galaxy-spanning criminal syndicate Jabba controlled. I feel like there's an establishing shot missing of all the underlings still working in the basement of the palace (mostly droids, presumably) conducting the non-violent aspects of the business. It was implied that Boba and Shand murdered or drove off all of Fortuna's guards except the two Gamorreans, but the show failed to show this and it also just kind of forgot to have Boba hire any muscle at all right away.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Episode 4
    Show
    And so the flashbacks catch up with the present (if you watch those episodes of the Mandalorian) and Boba begins making his moves to consolidate his empire. Basically we're now at the point where we expected the show to start.

Boba hiring Black Krrsantan was expected, and we even got to see a Wookiee tear an arm off. But, to be fair, Krrsantan does seem like the kind of Wookiee that has torn many arms.

But also "We need to hire muscle." Mandalorian flute from the theme of The Mandalorian. I suppose Din would be looking for work after Grogu, yes.