New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Book of Boba Fett - First Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    "The Chapter of Boba Fett" sounds less cool.
    The novella of Boba Fett?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler: About a specific bit
    Show
    Hell, will he keep bounty hunting, now that he doesn't have a Tribe to suuport?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't believe so. Since he has claimed the Darksaber for himself, there's a good chance S3 would focus on Din Djarin trying to unite the mandalorian people and take back whatever remains of their home planet, with Bo-Katan being a frenemy of some sort.

Anyway, episode was decent and certainly better than the previous ones (no flashbacks!), even though I was quite puzzled at the end when I realized there was not a single scene with Boba Fett in it.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

3. - Top - End - #453
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

The sonnet of Boba Fett. I challenge someone to write it.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    The Interlude of Boba Fett.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Probably should have called it something like: Star Wars, The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, then.
    Eh. I don't much care, since I ain't complaining about any of the show so far (well, the speed in that one scene, but other than that I've enjoyed the entire thing).
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Eh. I don't much care, since I ain't complaining about any of the show so far (well, the speed in that one scene, but other than that I've enjoyed the entire thing).
    I mean, people watching the Mandalorian season 3 without watching this show first are going to be hella confused unless there's a lot of exposition in the first episode.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #457

I mean, people watching the Mandalorian season 3 without watching this show first are going to be hella confused unless there's a lot of exposition in the first episode.
    It's on a streaming service, which means that every episode is available immediately. And yet they still have recaps in the beginning of each episode.

Pretty sure they'll have some exposition. At the very least, in pre-episode recap form, but I'm expecting better.

8. - Top - End - #458

So I'll be the minority voice here: This was my least favorite episode so far BECAUSE it didn't have any Boba in it. It -is- a waste of 1/7th of the run of the series, doesn't advance Boba and Fennec's story.

Still a great and fun show in situ, still enjoyed it once I divorced myself from the series and just thought of it as Mandalorian mid season christmas special. but now BoBF is only six episodes long.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

It's on a streaming service, which means that every episode is available immediately. And yet they still have recaps in the beginning of each episode.

Pretty sure they'll have some exposition. At the very least, in pre-episode recap form, but I'm expecting better.
    True, but still, I think that such a pivotal moment of Din Djarin's life ought to happen on his own damn show.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    So I'll be the minority voice here: This was my least favorite episode so far BECAUSE it didn't have any Boba in it. It -is- a waste of 1/7th of the run of the series, doesn't advance Boba and Fennec's story.

Still a great and fun show in situ, still enjoyed it once I divorced myself from the series and just thought of it as Mandalorian mid season christmas special. but now BoBF is only six episodes long.
    Wann bet next episode is about him reuniting with Grogu?

That's what he said he was gonna do before meeting up with Boba, after all.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #460

ClericGuy

I agree.

I don't dispute that they're quite deliberate about treating this as part of the Mandalorian expanded universe, I just think that's bad for actually telling the story that I came to see. It's taking the worst parts of the MCU and expanding them to episode length. Now, I really hope that what we've got is a six-episode story of Boba Fett and a side story of the Mandalorian. What I fear is that we're getting a seven episode story of Boba Fett, compressed down to six so they can do an episode of the Mandalorian.

But we'll see. And to be fair, it's not like Boba Fett has been rocketing along storywise (or bikes wise, no I won't let that go, it's so weird, especially when compared with the train and speeder scenes).

11. - Top - End - #461

True, but still, I think that such a pivotal moment of Din Djarin's life ought to happen on his own damn show.
    Pivotal?

Spoiler
    Show
    If you mean no longer being a member of his covert, I thought that already happened in The Believer (still one of the best episodes, btw). And, really, it did. He just made an attempt anyway.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Pivotal?

Spoiler
    Show
    If you mean no longer being a member of his covert, I thought that already happened in The Believer (still one of the best episodes, btw). And, really, it did. He just made an attempt anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The way I see it is that in the Believer he'd compromised his beliefs for the sake of Grogu, but still saw himself as part of the Tribe. It's only now that he's been ostracized.
    But this is also the episode where he gets confirmation of how many of his former clan are still alive, we get Darksaber lore, he gets a new ship, and he decides to walk back on his decision to trust Grogu to Luke. That's a lot.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #463

Spoiler
    Show
    The way I see it is that in the Believer he'd compromised his beliefs for the sake of Grogu, but still saw himself as part of the Tribe. It's only now that he's been ostracized.
    But this is also the episode where he gets confirmation of how many of his former clan are still alive, we get Darksaber lore, he gets a new ship, and he decides to walk back on his decision to trust Grogu to Luke. That's a lot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He does do it out of necessity in The Believer, and the only living person who has seen his face respects him and his ideals now, and would not betray that. But in The Rescue he does it out of sentimentality, and in front of several others. He may have had straws to clutch in The Believer, but not in The Rescue.

The ship isn't terribly important (it's also somewhat akin to a motorcycle - he can't do his thing in that, I think hell definitely get a bigger ship at some point, and probably have both). But that was hardly pivotal. Same for his decision to want to see the child again. Those could be dropped at any time.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    He does do it out of necessity in The Believer, and the only living person who has seen his face respects him and his ideals now, and would not betray that. But in The Rescue he does it out of sentimentality, and in front of several others. He may have had straws to clutch in The Believer, but not in The Rescue.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's not the point. It could have remained his secret shame. Or he could have gone on as a member but being more okay with taking his helmet off. But he made the decision to tell the Armourer and be banished, that's important. He's suffering external consequences in addition to internal ones now.

Spoiler
    Show
    The ship isn't terribly important (it's also somewhat akin to a motorcycle - he can't do his thing in that, I think hell definitely get a bigger ship at some point, and probably have both). But that was hardly pivotal. Same for his decision to want to see the child again. Those could be dropped at any time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They spent like a third of the episode on that ship. It's going to be his main ship for a while, methinks. You really think he could change his mind about seeing the Child? Because, I don't.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

As to today's episode...

I loved it, and I expect a lot fewer complaints from most. And I have a fair idea of what few complaints there will be. Namely...
    Spoiler
    Show
    That so far the best episode of Boba Fett is an episode of The Mandalorian.
    My opinion is pretty much the same.

Spoiler
    Show

Boba literally doesn't even appear in the episode. It's straight up a Mandalorian episode. Great to watch. A little odd for Boba to be so badly upstaged in his own show.

They leaned on the nostalgia buttons pretty hard this time. I didn't actually mind, just an observation.

Ringworld was cool, though. I wonder if Niven got to see it.

16. - Top - End - #466

Spoiler
    Show
    That's not the point. It could have remained his secret shame. Or he could have gone on as a member but being more okay with taking his helmet off. But he made the decision to tell the Armourer and be banished, that's important. He's suffering external consequences in addition to internal ones now.

Spoiler
    Show
    They spent like a third of the episode on that ship. It's going to be his main ship for a while, methinks. You really think he could change his mind about seeing the Child? Because, I don't.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding the ship, it's obviously too small for him to continue using as a bounty hunter. If he drops the hunting, then sure. But that wasn't revealed in the episode, and again, if we didn't have this series at all and just started season 3 Mando with a new ship, it wouldn't be jarring. It's trivial to write around that.
    Same for wanting to see the child again. Hell, even in this episode, he doesn't undergo any significant moment where he decides he needs to see Grogu again, he just decides to. This really doesn't need to be seen to understand what's going on, and I have no doubt when Mando S3 airs this will all be vindicated.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I agree. It can't really be said to be a part of the Boba Fett story, and is therefore a poor storytelling decision as an inclusion here. But I did find it more enjoyable than any of the Boba Fett episodes so far, even with all the time wasted building the ship and doing nostalgia.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder if Favreau wrote the story as six episodes, but didn't realize until after it was finished that it was pretty boring. So they got permission to do an extra episode featuring Din, since the best part of the show by far is probably the part where Din shows up (which we'll see in the next two episodes). The only puzzling thing is why they decided not to incorporate anything relevant to the ongoing plot into the episode. It's strange enough to do a whole episode without either main character this far into the series, but at least it could have been about Din receiving a call from Boba, and then doing something like reconnaissance on the Pykes, showing us what they would be up against in the final battle, or revealing something of the bad guys' plot, where the mayor went, or something. It sure seemed from the end of Ep 4, based on his dialogue, that Boba intended to call Din for help (and therefore had a way to contact him). So it makes no sense why Din just happened to come to Tatooine for unrelated reasons at the exact right time, which is what happens in Ep 5.

It's possible this episode was not originally planned this way. Maybe in the original Ep 5, we would have just had Din appear right when Boba needs him, at a dramatically appropriate moment, with a line of dialogue to explain how he got Boba's call and is here to help, the same way Boba helped him. There is no need to explain how he got there or what he was doing before he got the call- maybe we would have seen him step off the commercial flight. The whole nostalgia sequence with him and the mechanic building the ship would have been an extended post-season teaser for Mando S3, just like the Boba/Fennec scene at the end of Season 2, ending with him taking off in his new really fast ship. The first half of Episode 1 of S3 would have been the ring station scenes.

18. - Top - End - #468

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder if Favreau wrote the story as six episodes, but didn't realize until after it was finished that it was pretty boring.
    Spoiler: That sounds.... unlikely, to put it kindly.
    Show
    Ignoring for the moment that just because you are bored does not mean that the writer thought so. I, for example, have loved every episode. But let's pretend for the moment that he did. Why in hell would he write a new episode about someone else rather than fixing the existing episodes? It doesn't really make any sense.

And, of course, returning to that you seem to think it's boring: why are you still watching it? I thought the MCU was boring so I stopped watching it pretty quickly. Far be it from me to judge how you choose to spend your free time, but it its certainly puzzling.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Thrudd
    I wonder if Favreau wrote the story as six episodes, but didn't realize until after it was finished that it was pretty boring. So they got permission to do an extra episode….
    This isn’t how screenwriting works. You don’t “get permission” for an “extra episode,” you plan out how many episodes in your season and write to that. And it’s a little soon to be accusing them of “poor storytellling” when we still have the other half of the season on the way.

Fact is, this current episode featured some very good writing and pacing, and I’m expecting what we’ve seen so far will smoothly dovetail into the remaining three episodes. This isn’t “poor storytelling,” or poor anything—so far it’s been very good storytelling, and I’m trusting them to stick the landing.

Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Spoiler
    Show
    They spent like a third of the episode on that ship. It's going to be his main ship for a while, methinks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Indeed. Not only did they lavish time on the rebuild and the test flight, they showed us how it left a couple of X-Wings in the dust. That’s definitely the new hero ship.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler: That sounds.... unlikely, to put it kindly.
    Show
    Ignoring for the moment that just because you are bored does not mean that the writer thought so. I, for example, have loved every episode. But let's pretend for the moment that he did. Why in hell would he write a new episode about someone else rather than fixing the existing episodes? It doesn't really make any sense.

And, of course, returning to that you seem to think it's boring: why are you still watching it? I thought the MCU was boring so I stopped watching it pretty quickly. Far be it from me to judge how you choose to spend your free time, but it its certainly puzzling.

I'm a completionist, and a Star Wars fan generally, at least of this era and aesthetic. So I still want to see what happens, and what repercussions it might have on the wider lore of this era. It's also a short series with short episodes, so not too much time spent. I'm probably overemphasizing the boredom, partly because I'm disappointed in what I've seen so far. You're right, I'm sure Favreau wasn't as unhappy with the story as I am, given that he wrote it. And you're right, it is baffling why he wouldn't fix the existing episodes if he felt something was lacking. That's why I guessed that it was a late addition; they were so far along that it was uneconomical or impractical to change much of what had been shot already. But as said, that doesn't make sense given the logistics of TV shows. So, I guess we must conclude he always intended to interrupt Boba's story for an unrelated interlude about Din. Either way, what's going on in this series seems strange coming from Favreau, who I thought was responsible for some great material both in Mandalorian and the MCU; he clearly knows how to tell a story. The episode itself was good, as I said, taken alone I found it the most entertaining single episode so far.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2022-01-27 at 05:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #471

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    I'm a completionist, and a Star Wars fan generally, at least of this era and aesthetic. So I still want to see what happens, and what repercussions it might have on the wider lore of this era. It's also a short series with short episodes, so not too much time spent. I'm probably overemphasizing the boredom, partly because I'm disappointed in what I've seen so far. You're right, I'm sure Favreau wasn't as unhappy with the story as I am, given that he wrote it. And you're right, it is baffling why he wouldn't fix the existing episodes if he felt something was lacking. That's why I guessed that it was a late addition; they were so far along that it was uneconomical or impractical to change much of what had been shot already. But as said, that doesn't make sense given the logistics of TV shows. So, I guess we must conclude he always intended to interrupt Boba's story for an unrelated interlude about Din. Either way, what's going on in this series seems strange coming from Favreau, who I thought was responsible for some great material both in Mandalorian and the MCU; he clearly knows how to tell a story. The episode itself was good, as I said, taken alone I found it the most entertaining single episode so far.
    That's fair.

22. - Top - End - #472

Flumph

Spoiler: Ah, now eventually you do plan to have Boba Fett on your, on your Book of Boba Fett, right? Hello?
    Show
    I don't dislike the show, but more and more it just seems like this was rushed through writing into production because someone at Disney wanted something on their service to capitalize on Mandalorian hype while we wait on the third season. Plot threads that don't really seem to go anywhere and now a Mandalorian interquel.

But at least it was a very watchable interquel, even though it was jam packed with fanservice (I actually got a big laugh out of Din saying "Wizard!"), and the house cleaning of previous threads from the first two seasons is nice and hopefully will allow season 3 to hit the ground running.

- I'm actually hoping he keeps the N-1. One of my favorite Starfighter designs and it just looked cool at the end. If he gets a larger Bounty Hunting craft again I'd love it if he kept this one docked to it Bebop style.

- So wait, that was Beggar's Canyon during the pod race scene in Phantom Menace? Seems an unnecessary canon weld. I also thought it would be closer to Mos Eisley than Mos Espa.

- Deathwatch is down to three members and they're okay a duel to the death? And they have the nerve to criticize Bo-Katan's leadership? I'll miss the Armorer, but at this point I think Din has outgrown these guys.

- Is Teva the only guy New Republic has running patrols in the Outer Rim? When only one cop shows up on Community we accept it because it's a comedy. This is just getting silly.

Here's hoping things come together better heading into the final stretch.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have the same feelings that are being thrown around. The Mandalorian always felt like prime TV, even if there were some eye-rolling aspects in season 2. Boba Fett started very strong, especially episode 2, but it took a dive right after that and is starting to feel like a live-action Star Wars cartoon. This episode with Din felt like switching to a higher tier show.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Responding to Dire_Flumph
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    - I'm actually hoping he keeps the N-1. One of my favorite Starfighter designs and it just looked cool at the end. If he gets a larger Bounty Hunting craft again I'd love it if he kept this one docked to it Bebop style.
    I wasn't sold on the N-1 Starfighter at first but given his last ship's only roll was getting beat to hell in every combat. Maybe Mando should avoid direct confrontations in space. He also seems to be a good pilot. Also his ground combat is more gunship style, so seeing a more agile dogfight in space could provide variety in combat.

- So wait, that was Beggar's Canyon during the pod race scene in Phantom Menace? Seems an unnecessary canon weld. I also thought it would be closer to Mos Eisley than Mos Espa.
    Yes it was,and that was established in The Phantom Menace. Skyhoppers(what Luke flew through Beggars Canyon as a lad. Aren't slow vehicles. And according to a map of Tatooine found on wookiepeda in the legends section Eisley and Espa are a about a 150km away from one another.

- Deathwatch is down to three members and they're okay a duel to the death? And they have the nerve to criticize Bo-Katan's leadership? I'll miss the Armorer, but at this point I think Din has outgrown these guys.
    There's a reason the sect is so small and dying out they're so fanatic about their beliefs they'd rather die then change. And yes he has out grown them. Which I'm sure he'll realize during S3 of his own show.

- Is Teva the only guy New Republic has running patrols in the Outer Rim? When only one cop shows up on Community we accept it because it's a comedy. This is just getting silly.
    He's already appeared on Tatooine before, so is it really that surprising we see him again? Tatooine could just be a part of his beat. He's appeared in three episodes, two of which were on tatooine and the first one was after leaving Tatooine.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

25. - Top - End - #475

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Indeed. Not only did they lavish time on the rebuild and the test flight, they showed us how it left a couple of X-Wings in the dust. That’s definitely the new hero ship.
    Agreed, 100 %

Spoiler: My thoughts
    Show
    And now, if we accept that, the tie in with Boba, the expulsion from his clan, the Dark Sabre tie in, I think we can rule out the bounty hunter activity as a continued profession and focus on the bigger picture.

26. - Top - End - #476

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Dire Flumph
    Show

Spoiler: Duel
    Show
    Did I miss a line about this being to the death? Given that the Armorer stopped it as soon as Din had clearly gained the upper hand, I assumed it was not to the death.

Also, I don't think the Children are the Deathwatch, nor can they possibly be down to just three guys. This local group is, but they're clearly part of something larger. If nothing else, someone out there is actually taking care of the foundlings they're always supporting and mentioning.

Spoiler: Patrols
    Show
    That is weird, though my read on it was less, see the new guy and more, see how thin the New Republic is spread out here. We're in 'sheriff and deputy' mode for what looks like an entire sector. With him showing up once at a traffic stop and once in response to an emergency call and a second time for a traffic stop.

Given the size of the space they're responsible for, I'd have thought they were too busy for traffic stops, but apparently not (though admittedly this one was more justifiable, that looked like the passenger liner that took him to Tatooine and he was real close to it, going real fast, in an armed ship...)

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Spoiler: Responding to Dire_Flumph
    Show

There's a reason the sect is so small and dying out they're so fanatic about their beliefs they'd rather die then change. And yes he has out grown them. Which I'm sure he'll realize during S3 of his own show.
    Spoiler: Faith
    Show
    Again, not sure this is fair for the reasons suggested above. More critically, it seems a bit odd to claim their dying out on their own and Din's outgrown them when the reason this group was massacred was specifically that they supported Din in his quest. More generally, I really hope he doesn't 'outgrow' the faith that saved his life and raised him and I really hope if he does leave it, it's not shown as 'outgrowing' it. But we'll see.
    Last edited by ecarden; 2022-01-28 at 09:13 AM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Clertar
    Boba Fett started very strong, especially episode 2, but it took a dive right after that and is starting to feel like a live-action Star Wars cartoon.
    Episode 2 was a tough act to follow. Episode 3 was a bit of a slump, but a lot of that was the Mos Vespa chase.

Let’s see how they manage the finale. So far it’s been almost all setup and backstory, so I’ll reserve judgement until we see how that plays out.

Spoiler: Dire_Flumph
    Show
    Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph
    …I actually got a big laugh out of Din saying "Wizard!”
    That was one of the eye-rollingest moments for me, both because the usage itself never really felt right, and Mando’s tone sounded like he was trying too hard to sound cool.

I'm actually hoping he keeps the N-1. One of my favorite Starfighter designs and it just looked cool at the end. If he gets a larger Bounty Hunting craft again I'd love it if he kept this one docked to it Bebop style.
    All of this.

Deathwatch is down to three members and they're okay a duel to the death?
    This is the way.

—Seriously, Paz and the Armorer are as fundamentalist as they come, so I’d say that’s perfectly in keeping with their philosophy.

That said, I had the impression the Armorer was in the middle of a ritual that would have allowed both of them to save face without Mando having to finish Paz. It was Mando’s admission about his helmet that sent things in a different direction. But I read that scene as both of them willing to accept the consequences of a no-holds-barred duel, while still acting within a framework that allows them both to survive with honor satisfied.

Is Teva the only guy New Republic has running patrols in the Outer Rim? When only one cop shows up on Community we accept it because it's a comedy. This is just getting silly.
    Very much so.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2022-01-28 at 09:44 AM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler: Dire_Flumph
    Show

This is the way.

—Seriously, Paz and the Armorer are as fundamentalist as they come, so I’d say that’s perfectly in keeping with their philosophy.

That said, I had the impression the Armorer was in the middle of a ritual that would have allowed both of them to save face without Mando having to finish Paz. It was Mando’s admission about his helmet that sent things in a different direction. But I read that scene as both of them willing to accept the consequences of a no-holds-barred duel, while still acting within a framework that allows them both to survive with honor satisfied.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, Paz had the right to challenge Din for the weapon, so she wouldn't deny him that, regardless of the risks.

They know he took the saber from Gideon without killing him, but they still regard him as having a right to it: death is not necessary to claim ownership, only victory. Din had Paz dead to rights, there was no need to continue the fight. The question about removing their helmet had come up before (when she forged him the mudhorn symbol, I think) so I think it's just a necessary prelude to important stuff in their tradition.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #479

Spoiler
    Show
    The question about removing their helmet had come up before (when she forged him the mudhorn symbol, I think)
    Want that when they fought in Season 1?

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking back, it may have just been because Paz is huge, but when he had the Darksaber briefly, didn't it look like he was also struggling with its weight in a similar way that Mando was?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”