Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Book of Boba Fett - First Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Do they?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The people of Freetown will not come to help Fett" is in there too. He doesn't make mane definitive statements that he has no actual proof for and are only what he thinks, but when he does, they are proven wrong. The only uncertain one is about Fett going straight, but given his track record on the others....

Also, I don't particularly care what TV Tropes has to say on the subject. No offense.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The people of Freetown will not come to help Fett" is in there too. He doesn't make mane definitive statements that he has no actual proof for and are only what he thinks, but when he does, they are proven wrong. The only uncertain one is about Fett going straight, but given his track record on the others....

Also, I don't particularly care what TV Tropes has to say on the subject. No offense.
    “I’m still faster” seemed pretty definitive, unless I’m misremembering he most certainly was faster.

But, wrong about everything and dies after 3 scenes doesn’t really make a particularly great villain.

But what do I know? I though Darth Maul was a boring waste of a good design after I watched Phantom Menace, and people loved him so much they brought him back.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, he's correct that Boba's a killer.

Ah sorry, that wasn't directed at you in particular, just a random musing. I expressed myself poorly.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: On the show in general
    Show
    I get the feeling the creators didn't really know what they wanted to do with this. The plot is just all over the place. The flashbacks with the tuskens were excellent but the rest... It feels less like a story and more like a collection of random events in two busy months of Boba's life. This could have been a show about Boba taking over Jabba's organisation and transforming it into an actual Tatooinian government kicking the crime syndicate (who probably should have been the hutts, not the pykes, like what was the point of the Twins?) out with the help of the tribe that welcomed in, but instead it's just all so... confused and unfocused.
    The overall premise of the show seems to be 'Boba Fett evolves from bounty hunter to warlord.' However, as it happened that premise, at least as imagine on the sands of Tatooine, isn't actually very interesting. There's really two big problems. First, they never managed to properly establish why Fett's motive for this shift and as a result it's like he became a warlord out of some vague mid-life crisis. Second, the changeover from Jabba to Bib Fortuna to Boba Fett appears to only have really mild impacts on life on Tatooine. This isn't entirely the show's fault, being instead an aspect of a history of relatively sanitized depictions that prevent the world from representing the kind of broken hellscape that really needs a new leader to clean up.

I think a much simpler show, one that's just Boba getting revenge for his Tusken Tribe, would have worked much better. I also can understand why Favreau and Filoni wanted to try and do something more involved than a straight-forward revenge plot even if the result doesn't manage to properly cohere. That happens, and I get it. It's disappointing but, well, not every effort is going to work.

If five episodes of Book of Boba Fett (I'm counting episodes 5 and 6 as Mandalorian episodes and everyone else should too) is that price we have to pay for Favreau and Filoni learning avoid politicking in the galaxy far, far away and to stick to adventure plots in the future, that's a relatively small price to pay.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

5. - Top - End - #755

I mean, he's correct that Boba's a killer.
    Not really. Boba was. A huge theme of the show is his rebirth into a new kind of person.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Everyone needs a tribe". "I'm sick of dieing for idiots we should be the ones in charge". "I intend to rule with respect, not with fear". "Other crime lords who control parts of Mos Espa, I will not fight you, let us be at peace with each other".

Bane being wrong is part of why he died.

Also, his just pointing his blaster at Fett for quite some time without shooting while he made his speech, and then even a few seconds more after he finished. Like, was he waiting for Fett to make his move? Would have just stood there not shooting until Fett decided to try to fight back? Honestly, the *he was trying to die" isn't a bad theory considering how much time he spent pointing a blaster at Fett's head and not shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    First, they never managed to properly establish why Fett's motive for this shift
    ... He literally said his motive point blank.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-02-11 at 06:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

The overall premise of the show seems to be 'Boba Fett evolves from bounty hunter to warlord.' However, as it happened that premise, at least as imagine on the sands of Tatooine, isn't actually very interesting. There's really two big problems. First, they never managed to properly establish why Fett's motive for this shift and as a result it's like he became a warlord out of some vague mid-life crisis. Second, the changeover from Jabba to Bib Fortuna to Boba Fett appears to only have really mild impacts on life on Tatooine. This isn't entirely the show's fault, being instead an aspect of a history of relatively sanitized depictions that prevent the world from representing the kind of broken hellscape that really needs a new leader to clean up.

I think a much simpler show, one that's just Boba getting revenge for his Tusken Tribe, would have worked much better. I also can understand why Favreau and Filoni wanted to try and do something more involved than a straight-forward revenge plot even if the result doesn't manage to properly cohere. That happens, and I get it. It's disappointing but, well, not every effort is going to work.

If five episodes of Book of Boba Fett (I'm counting episodes 5 and 6 as Mandalorian episodes and everyone else should too) is that price we have to pay for Favreau and Filoni learning avoid politicking in the galaxy far, far away and to stick to adventure plots in the future, that's a relatively small price to pay.
    I maintain that the idea is solid. It's the execution that was botched.
    Not really. Boba was. A huge theme of the show is his rebirth into a new kind of person.
    [SPOILER]"Everyone needs a tribe". "I'm sick of dieing for idiots we should be the ones in charge". "I intend to rule with respect, not with fear". "Other crime lords who control parts of Mos Espa, I will not fight you, let us be at peace with each other".

Bane being wrong is part of why he died.
    [Spoiler]No he died because Boba killed him. Because Boba's a killer. Not as bad as he used to be but still a man of violence and death. Instead of killing you for money, he'll kill you because he's angry with you, that's all.[/quote]
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #757

I maintain that the idea is solid. It's the execution that was botched.
    Agreed.

Spoiler
    Show
    No he died because Boba killed him. Because Boba's a killer. Not as bad as he used to be but still a man of violence and death. Instead of killing you for money, he'll kill you because he's angry with you, that's all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That makes no sense. He killed Bane in self defense. Bane's "you're a killer" did not mean "you have killed people, as Leia Organa has". It meant "you're an amoral murderer". That's not the case anymore. Further, Boba doesn't kill anyone in this series because he'd angry with them. He id angry at a lot of people, doesn't kill them. Hell, he doesn't even kill the mayor after the mayor snrt assassin's after him! After two visits!

That's not who he is anymore. Sure, he may kill in battle or in a duel where it's them or him. But he's not an amoral murderer for profit or convenience, which is what Cad Bane is claiming. He goes out of his way to not kill and to make peace. Banes entire point is that it's a false pretense and that's not who Fett is anymore. And he's wrong.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That makes no sense. He killed Bane in self defense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Didn't he have Cad disarmed and laying on the ground? I remember a clear moment of pause before he stabbed him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bane's "you're a killer" did not mean "you have killed people, as Leia Organa has". It meant "you're an amoral murderer". That's not the case anymore. Further, Boba doesn't kill anyone in this series because he'd angry with them. He id angry at a lot of people, doesn't kill them. Hell, he doesn't even kill the mayor after the mayor snrt assassin's after him! After two visits!

That's not who he is anymore. Sure, he may kill in battle or in a duel where it's them or him. But he's not an amoral murderer for profit or convenience, which is what Cad Bane is claiming. He goes out of his way to not kill and to make peace. Banes entire point is that it's a false pretense and that's not who Fett is anymore. And he's wrong.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He explodes an assassin fleeing from him. He slaughters the Nikto gang. Not sure if the beating he gave those guys at Tosche station was meant to be lethal or not. He's become weirdly forgiving of attempts on his life, but he's still killing fools.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-02-11 at 06:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #759

Spoiler
    Show
    Didn't he have Cad disarmed and laying on the ground? I remember a clear moment of pause before he stabbed him.
    Do you think for a second if he left that he wouldn't have been killed? I don't. That was ending in death, one way or another.

Also, I dont recall a pause. That was the other one. A lengthy pause.

Spoiler
    Show
    He explodes an assassin fleeing from him. He slaughters the Nikto gang. Not sure if the beating he gave those guys at Tosche station was meant to be lethal or not. He's become weirdly forgiving of attempts on his life, but he's still killing fools.
    He kills dangerous murderers after they have either attempted or committed murder where he was potentially a specific target. Still don't see the problem.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-02-11 at 06:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Do you think for a second if he left that he wouldn't have been killed? I don't. That was ending in death, one way or another.
    There are options besides leaving and killing you know. He could have handed him over to Mando as a gift for example. New Republic.would probably offer a lot for the old bastard.

Edit: There's not even a need to leave the planet. Hand him to whatever justice Vanth answers to.

Also, I dont recall a pause. That was the other one. A lengthy pause.
    Not going to rewatch the episode.

He kills dangerous murderers after they have either attempted or committed murder where he was potentially a specific target. Still don't see the problem.
    I have no problem with Boba Fett being a killer.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-02-11 at 07:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #761

There are options besides leaving and killing you know.
    Look dude, all I'm saying is the claim "you're a killer" is on context that means something other than "you have ended a life before and will end a life again". It means "you're a cold blooded murderer who will kill to get things you want, and not because of circumstance". He's making a judgment on Fett's character, on who Fett is as a person, and he is wrong. I don't mind Fett being a killer either. Fett appears to, though, since he goes out of his way throughout the entire series to not kill.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

Look dude, all I'm saying is the claim "you're a killer" is on context that means something other than "you have ended a life before and will end a life again". It means "you're a cold blooded murderer who will kill to get things you want, and not because of circumstance". He's making a judgment on Fett's character, on who Fett is as a person, and he is wrong. I don't mind Fett being a killer either. Fett appears to, though, since he goes out of his way throughout the entire series to not kill.
    Okay, so ontop of my head, since he's been out of the Sarlacc Boba has :
    - snuck into Jabba/Bib's palace to get his ship rather than just ask for it for unclear reasons, resulting in him killing a whole binch of people when that predictably went south.
    - massacred the Nikto gang for a crime it turned out they were innocent of. Whoopsie!
    - threatened to have Fennec Shand shoot Grogu, an obvious child for his armour.
    - fought and killed a whole bunch of stormtroopers in a fight that wasn't his own in excha'ge for the same armour.
    - straight up shot Bib Fortuna and a few guards in the face to take over his ****.
    - exploded a fleeing assassin
    - engaged in a turf war with another gang.
    - stabbed a defeates opponent in the chest.

Fett is a murderer, he does kill people to get what he wants. Regularly. He's decided to be lenient with his opposition on Tatooine, to rule with respect, rather than fear, but that's not taking a stance against murder, that's being somewhat reasonnable. Cad Bane is a worse individual than Boba as he seems to thoroughly enjoy the violence in his work while Boba doesn't, but they're both killers.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #763

Post Re: The Book of Boba Fett - First Trailer

Okay, so ontop of my head, since he's been out of the Sarlacc Boba has :
    - snuck into Jabba/Bib's palace to get his ship rather than just ask for it for unclear reasons, resulting in him killing a whole binch of people when that predictably went south.
    Last time he met with Bib Fortuna, Fortuna tried to have him killed. Also, all the guards were trying to kill him.
    - massacred the Nikto gang for a crime it turned out they were innocent of. Whoopsie!
    The crime of killing his tribe/family as he saw it, which only did not include him due to luck. Also, they were specifically framed, so for all he knew they had done it.
    - threatened to have Fennec Shand shoot Grogu, an obvious child for his armour.
    Fennec could have actually shot Mando in his unarmored areas. Seems to me that was a bluff to make sure Mando didn't start shooting.
    - fought and killed a whole bunch of stormtroopers in a fight that wasn't his own in excha'ge for the same armour.
    They were trying to kill him.
    - straight up shot Bib Fortuna and a few guards in the face to take over his ****.
    They had tried to kill him.
    - exploded a fleeing assassin
    Who had tried to kill him (looks like a theme is occurring here).
    - engaged in a turf war with another gang.
    The Hutta? The one which featured zero violence, except for him being attacked suddenly in his own palace, of course. Or do you mean the other gangs, which he explicitly tried to broker a truce for? Perhaps the other other gang, which was moving in on his territory, which he also tried to broker a truce for? Man, what a cold hearted bastard..
    - stabbed a defeates opponent in the chest.
    Who had tried to kill him.

Not really making a convincing case here.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Concerning the stinger, and why they put that in it:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Between that and Boba's "we're not fit for this" comment, one could theorize they may be more at ease giving Vanth some more authority. It's a stretch, but this entire show's been weird like that. Wouldn't surprise me if Boba's journey of self-discovery ends with "this isn't who I am either", anti-climactic as it'd be.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    Concerning the stinger, and why they put that in it:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Between that and Boba's "we're not fit for this" comment, one could theorize they may be more at ease giving Vanth some more authority. It's a stretch, but this entire show's been weird like that. Wouldn't surprise me if Boba's journey of self-discovery ends with "this isn't who I am either", anti-climactic as it'd be.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's also potential real world issues. It's distinctly unclear if Morrison ever wants to put the armor on again or if he's decided he's too old to play Boba any more (Mandalorian costume is apparently really uncomfortable too). Star Wars is going to keep coming back to Tatooine, however much we might wish otherwise. If Olyphant enjoys plays Vanth and is willing to step in as the resident 'guy on Tatooine' for future series that's an option worth keeping open.

16. - Top - End - #766

[spoiler]Mandalorian costume is apparently really uncomfortable too
    Not really, no. A bit hot, but you're going to get that with any sort of "armor" costume.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Last time he met with Bib Fortuna, Fortuna tried to have him killed.
    No he didn't they haven't seen each other since RotJ.
    Also, all the guards were trying to kill him.
    Damn, it's almost like he broke into the palace they were paid to guard. Imagine that

The crime of killing his tribe/family as he saw it, which only did not include him due to luck. Also, they were specifically framed, so for all he knew they had done it.
    And because he killed all of them, it took him forever to learn he had let the ones who'd actually did done it get away with it. Damn, it's almost like killing people is not a great idea. Imagine that.

Fennec could have actually shot Mando in his unarmored areas. Seems to me that was a bluff to make sure Mando didn't start shooting.
    Based on what?

They were trying to kill him.

They had tried to kill him.

Who had tried to kill him (looks like a theme is occurring here).
    You seem to think that killing someone who's wronged you doesn't make you a killer, which is not as convincing as you seem to think.
    Also, he did not kill Bib and his goons
    because they'd try to kill him (when?). He did it to take over Bib's operation.
    And the imperials weren't trying to kill him. Je could have just walked away. He fought them because Mando promised to pay one armour for it.
    The Hutta? The one which featured zero violence, except for him being attacked suddenly in his own palace, of course. Or do you mean the other gangs, which he explicitly tried to broker a truce for? Perhaps the other other gang, which was moving in on his territory, which he also tried to broker a truce for? Man, what a cold hearted bastard..
    The pykes. He's fighting the pykes over crime-territory, which isn't a particularly endearing motif. Especially since despite his claim of not wanting to abandon the people of Mos Espa, the pykes didn't appear to have been doing anything to them. Well, they did bomb the sanctuary for reasons that are still baffling to me.

Who had tried to kill him.

Not really making a convincing case here.
    Neither are you.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The whole Boba Fett story feels so disjointed and poorly thought out, I have to wonder about the writing. Were there time constraints? No time for drafts and revisions? Even given the fact that there were likely many COVID and budgetary constraints, and possible studio requirements, there seems like dozens of better ways to do this. It's just so frustrating that what could have been an awesome underworld story with a really cool character was squandered.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2022-02-12 at 03:35 AM.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

The pykes. He's fighting the pykes over crime-territory, which isn't a particularly endearing motif. Especially since despite his claim of not wanting to abandon the people of Mos Espa, the pykes didn't appear to have been doing anything to them. Well, they did bomb the sanctuary for reasons that are still baffling to me.
    Long standing Star Wars problem: any villain that isn't the Empire (or a copy of the Empire with the serial numbers filed off like in KOTOR) never quite works.

Tatooine is, actually, a valuable planet. Not for anything it produces, but for it's position on the map. It's an important transshipment point, one of the key places through which the spice must flow.

And...building on that pun, this show is actually basically just the first act of Dune, with Boba as the Atriedes, the Pykes as the Harkonnens, and the Tuskens as the Fremen (heck, Mando and Grogu are Duncan and Paul). The difference is that Boba actually pulls out the win (bet Duke Leto wishes he had a pet rancor). Dune, of course, engages in some truly epic puppy-kicking in order to make certain the audience understands the Harkonnens had better not control its desert planet. Book of Boba Fett, regrettably, missed its quotient on kicked puppies and the Pykes simply don't come off as evil enough.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2022-02-12 at 03:43 AM.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Not really, no. A bit hot, but you're going to get that with any sort of "armor" costume.
    Are you basing that on actor statements or your own cosplay experience? Because i seem to recall a short while where the filming of Mando season 2 was in real jeopardy because Pascal genuinely couldnt stand being in the Mando costume with full helmet on for that long.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #771

No he didn't they haven't seen each other since RotJ.
    War of the Bounty Hunters.
    Damn, it's almost like he broke into the palace they were paid to guard. Imagine that
    You make it sound as if they wouldn't let him in and would kill him if he tried. Imagine that.
    And because he killed all of them, it took him forever to learn he had let the ones who'd actually did done it get away with it. Damn, it's almost like killing people is not a great idea. Imagine that.
    I feel like you're trying to make a completely different point that isn't' really relevant to anything here.
    Based on what?
    Logic, but hey, I'll take a different route just for you. When she shot Mando in The Gunslinger, he said he only survived because the beskar protected him at that range. Clearly implying that it would not protect him from that rifle at closer range. He went to much closer range. She could have killed him straight up and they could have taken the armor with no hassle. This, notably, did not happen.
    You seem to think that killing someone who's wronged you doesn't make you a killer, which is not as convincing as you seem to think.
    Again, this is ignoring context on what Bane was saying.
    Also, he did not kill Bib and his goons because they'd try to kill him (when?). He did it to take over Bib's operation.
    War of the Bounty Hunters.
    And the imperials weren't trying to kill him. He could have just walked away.
    I feel like you and I may have watched different versions of... well, literally any Star Wars media that featured Imperials
    The pykes. He's fighting the pykes over crime-territory
    The people that he tried to negotiate with and who refused at every turn? Those Pykes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Are you basing that on actor statements or your own cosplay experience? Because i seem to recall a short while where the filming of Mando season 2 was in real jeopardy because Pascal genuinely couldnt stand being in the Mando costume with full helmet on for that long.
    I couldn't find any sources for this, but I only looked for a few minutes. But also, there were three different people who were in the armor, IIRC. And also, yes, basing it on my own experience. Wearing screen-accurate Star Wars costumes. Now, granted, I didn't have to worry about studio lights, but I figure Alabama helped compensate for that a lot.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Again, this is ignoring context on what Bane was saying.
    Which context? Because Boba never said or implied in any way that he did not want to be a killer anymore. He's tired of working for other people, and he doesn't want to be as tyrannical as Jabba was. That's it. He's still content to kill people when he feels like it. The claims that someone isn't a killer really doesn't stand against a list of persons, he's killed. This isn't the circumstances forcing his hand, this is him deciding several times that what's more convienient (or gratifying, for the revenge killings) for him is for one guy to die and then making that happen.

Somebody going on a diet and somebody deciding to stop eating altogether are very different things. Likewise deciding to show restraint and kill fewer people is different from not being a killer despite how many justifications you come up with to excuse it.

To get back to the Bib Fortuna example, he certainly wasn't in any danger from him since:
    A) Bib and him were together at Jabba's palace without incident in RotJ.
    B) Bib thought he was dead.

He just decided he liked the idea of being crime-boss of Tatooine so he went and killed the dude. That's a murder. Boba never denies being a killer when Bane brings it up, in fact his last scene is him telling Shand they're not fit for ruling over a peaceful Mos Espa which seems like an acknoweldgment of Bane's judgement. If the show wanted to portray Boba Fett as someone renouncing his violent ways, then the writing goes from confused and sub-par to contradictory and abysmal.

Note: Also, yes he could totally have fled from the Imps. Gideon only cared about Baby Yoda and left immediately once the Dark Troopers abducted him, when he could easily have had the Dark Troopers kill everybody. They weren't going to pursue two random bounty hunters they had no business nor quarrel with.

Edit: Other note. If some random comic established an antagonism between Boba and Bib Fortuna that made going in the Palace thorugh the front door to fetch the Slave One impossible, the show should have made that explicit. Because unless you've read that comic, you would think these two are former coworkers on neutral terms which just makes that episode's conflict feels contrived and weird.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-02-12 at 09:35 AM.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ettin in the Playground

The overall premise of the show seems to be 'Boba Fett evolves from bounty hunter to warlord.'
    I would have much preferred that.

The state of the galaxy should be that things are in disarray, the Rebellion has completed its goal of toppling the galactic government but many rebels might not want to now swear fealty to the new galactic government, the imperial remnant still controll much territory under individual admirals with fleets of ships ... this is the perfect time for lower operators to step up and make there play for regional government rather then galactic government, and could see about playing both sides of the wider conflict against each other.

Boba Fett might be the wrong character for that but the concept would be fine, let Tatooine be an important hyperspace route, the Pikes want it so they can move from criminal organisation to respected government (with leverage), the Hutts act as a greater threat as they want to re-establish the Hutt Empire (maybe helping out Boba to undermine the Pikes without getting directly involved), the the higher political powers stand even further back and see how things play out but either or both might help out or hinder for concerns that are implied to be significantly higher up the food chain (both might even help out while working together to avoid a conflict sparking that neither want at this time in this place).

Could get quite a lot of universe building out of that - but it would require being somewhat more of a political show and likely a lot more thought required to keep the moving pieces mostly clear to the audience.

So just to check have you changed your mind on the shoot the baby in the head scene as at the time (if I remember) I found it out of character with how Boba was presented with the rest of the episode but you saw no disconnect.

Edit:
    Which context?
    Effectively Peelee (if I am reading them right) is saying that Bane's comment was ultimately "You are the same monster you always were - just like me, and your attempt to 'be a better person' is laughable and dishonest at best and cowardly at worst, you should just accept who you really are", Peelee's point is that Bane is wrong in this and that Boba has actually became a better person.

Again if I am reading correctly - within that context I would agree with Peelee even it the transition I think was broadly poorly executed.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2022-02-12 at 10:03 AM.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: quotes, sources, context, re ' saved in the edit'
    Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olqVGz6mOVE

A critique of the 'saved in the edit' admittedly regarding a particular video, but unlike most youtubers appearing to do some actual research. It takes a few cheap shots at the sequels and belabours the point a bit, but it does detailed breakdowns of what knowledge we have is available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD5FqAJf3T0

An interview with the late J W Rinzler, the SW stuff starts at about 15 minutes, he acknowledges Marcia's conclusion but says it's 'absurd' to say that the movie was saved from George in the edit because he was the one making editing decisions (circa 23 minutes in). He

Mr. Rinzler wrote books about the making of these movies, so unlike most people, he actually has information to base these conclusions on.

Also, the source of that Marcia Lucas quote has this if you go back a few lines, where Marcia is asked if she was the heart of Star Wars and she says otherwise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/co...hat_she_saved/

And the Harrison Ford quote about the dialogue is quoted a lot, but mysteriously they always forget that he later changed his mind and said "I was wrong. It worked."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/harri...solo_n_2097347

25. - Top - End - #775

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I So just to check have you changed your mind on the shoot the baby in the head scene as at the time (if I remember) I found it out of character with how Boba was presented with the rest of the episode but you saw no disconnect.
    Don't recall, but if that was the case, then sure. He could have murdered Mando straight up and taken the armor. Instead, he just used the thread of Grogu to ensure Mando wouldn't escalate to violence and they could talk.
    LEffectively Peelee (if I am reading them right) is saying that Bane's comment was ultimately "You are the same monster you always were - just like me, and your attempt to 'be a better person' is laughable and dishonest at best and cowardly at worst, you should just accept who you really are", Peelee's point is that Bane is wrong in this and that Boba has actually became a better person.

Again if I am reading correctly - within that context I would agree with Peelee even it the transition I think was broadly poorly executed.
    Bang on the money. I'll even agree it could have been executed better.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't recall
    Fair enough, I have had my share of conversations where someone else remembers them and I don't - fortunately unlike pub talk I can reference so I will.

Spoiler: Literally everthing in here was initally covered with spoiler tags (they are not anymore)
    Show
    Boba Fett is a good guy - who will order his companions so shoot innocent children - which feels somewhat wierd, also I am unsure why if he was on Tatooine for years why didn't he get his own armour back, but meh I will over look it.
    A.) Why do you think Boba Fett is a good guy?
    Essentially the overall feeling of the episode for me was Boba Fett is an honourable decent guy, which doesn't sit well with the initial view of threatening The Child.
    Honorable? Yes. Decent? Nothing in the show gave me that impression. Certainly nothing in the movies or the Clone Wars.
    To be clear I am speaking solely about this episode on this show - not the movies or cartoons (or any other media where he appeared).

If you ignore the opening element where he appears to shoot at the Mandalorian (assuming that wasn't his assistant) and where he threatens the child the rest of this played out with 'return my possessions and I will help you' and that was then played fairly straight.

I am more noting (what I regard as) a disconnect between his introduction and the rest of the episode.
    I find it strange that the take seems to be "if you ignore that he threatened the child then it is odd that he threatened the child".

Like, even just focusing on this episode in a vacuum, I'm not seeing any disconnect here at all.

Hopefully I have not misrepresented or made obvious mistakes with the above.

Essentailly your take that he was now bluffing seems somewhat at odds with that (not wholely at odds but somewhat).

27. - Top - End - #777

Fair enough, I have had my share of conversations where someone else remembers them and I don't - fortunately unlike pub talk I can reference so I will.

Spoiler: Literally everthing in here was initally covered with spoiler tags (they are not anymore)
    Show

Hopefully I have not misrepresented or made obvious mistakes with the above.

Essentailly your take that he was now bluffing seems somewhat at odds with that (not wholely at odds but somewhat).
    Nah, I'll cop to being wrong there. I only had the existing canon to base it on, which didn't seem terribly at odds with threatening someone else to get what he wanted. I had overlooked that they could have just killed Mando instead, and the threat was mostly just to ensure peaceful negotiations ("bluff" is perhaps a bad take on it - it seems like they didn't have any intention of actually shooting unless they were fired upon themselves, and figured that he would agree to talk sans weapons as they wanted) at the time.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah, I'll cop to being wrong there. I only had the existing canon to base it on, which didn't seem terribly at odds with threatening someone else to get what he wanted. I had overlooked that they could have just killed Mando instead, and the threat was mostly just to ensure peaceful negotiations ("bluff" is perhaps a bad take on it - it seems like they didn't have any intention of actually shooting unless they were fired upon themselves, and figured that he would agree to talk sans weapons as they wanted) at the time.
    I am legitimately annoyed with myself because I was somewhat careful to avoid editing to suit whatever my point might be and yet I think I managed to do it anyway.

The final quotes from that trend on that page on that topic (yip I messed up) etc were (I regard as removals that don't impact this conversation but are relevant to it - they are not full edits but non-relveant items were removed).

Spoiler
    Show

He effectively ended up with 'I will go out of my way to help you, despite you - a deeply honourable man - feeling that I have already met any obligation I had, and despite you effectively acknowledging that what I wanted was always mine by right and I should not have had to do anything for it'.

It came across to me as if they were saying Boba Fett is a decent sort - which doesn't stick with the introduction.
    The introduction didn't portray him as dishonorable. The introduction portrayed him as not a good man. He nearly immediately negotiated a stand down and a deal to get the armor after appearing. Looking at the eposide in a vacuum, the introduction showed him as honorable, but not good. He them acts honorably.

Again, I don't see any disconnect.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything else but I think the point (which you have seemingly accepted) stands (rather then needs a reevaluation).

Anyway apologies for cutting those last two quotes it was not intentional (and frankly I am not sure how I managed it) - only posted this as otherwise I think I would be being unfair.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

The overall premise of the show seems to be 'Boba Fett evolves from bounty hunter to warlord.' However, as it happened that premise, at least as imagine on the sands of Tatooine, isn't actually very interesting. There's really two big problems. First, they never managed to properly establish why Fett's motive for this shift and as a result it's like he became a warlord out of some vague mid-life crisis. Second, the changeover from Jabba to Bib Fortuna to Boba Fett appears to only have really mild impacts on life on Tatooine.
    Yeah, I think that pretty much sums it up for me.

In terms of a person out adventuring doing good while being an anti-hero...we already have the Mandalorian, who does this really well. Stuffing Boba into a similar role makes for a rough comparison, and Fett doesn't even give the same answer every time he's asked why he's doing this. It's...kind of an unmotivated turn to good.

I liked Bane. Great design, great presentation, every moment he's on screen is fun.

I care a great deal less about the other gangs. The spice trade is presumably bad, but this is again tell, not show. Leaving aside all the Dune similarities, of which there are a great deal, there's apparently a TON of criminal gangs on Tatooine, to the point that one wonders who is doing legitimate work. That's fine, and kind of a cool premise, but we don't really see enough of most of these gangs to care about them much.

I like the Mando parts, I like the Bane parts, a good deal of Boba I don't actually care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Filming is sometimes different than cosplay. In particular, filming often uses bright, warm lights, which could potentially suck if you're doing that all day in metal armor. I don't really blink at wearing metal armor for a day, but it really, really depends on what you're doing. I don't think wearing armor is necessarily a problem, but it might be uncomfortable in the context of filming.

30. - Top - End - #780

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Filming is sometimes different than cosplay. In particular, filming often uses bright, warm lights, which could potentially suck if you're doing that all day in metal armor.
    A.) they're not wearing metal.
    2.) I acknowledged hot lighting. I also compared it to, for example, Alabama.

The most comfortable troop I ever did was for the 3D re-release of TPM in Huntsville at the Monaco. It actually had some snow flurries outside. For the first time ever wearing the sand people robes, I felt fine.