New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Book of Boba Fett - First Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    I mean, in the old EU, nope. The Sarlacc integrates your nervous system with it's own so you're awake and aware the whole time it takes to digest you, as it absorbs your psyche into it's own. It was also both Sapient, and malevolent.

Because y'know. The EU liked to take a lot of throw away comments literally.
    It will always be funny to me that the Old EU decided that Obi-Wan stating that the Jedi Order had protected the Republic for "a thousand generations" meant that the Old Republic would have celebrated its 25, 000th year of continuous existence this very year. Not only was the old man willfully looking back on better times while in casual conversation was not being hyperbolic, he was precise to the fifth decimal place!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    It's a ridiculous debate anyway. what is "a mandalorian". Someone born on Mandalore? Someone of the specific human genetic stock that originated there? Someone adopted by a mandalorian (foundling)?

We don't even know if its a race, a creed, a movement, a religion or all of the above.

In the real world, we are "humans" because we belong to the human race. If we went to a different world and had children born there, they would still be "humans". But would they be Earthlings? Martians? If an American goes to Mars and has a kid, is that kid human? an Earthling? An American?

My understanding of star wars canon is that Jango Fett was NOT of mandalorian genetic stock of origin, that he was adopted into "Mandalore" as a foundling. Then he was excommunicated or somehow cast out.

That would appear to mean that he's no longer "a mandalorian" by some esoteric definition. But its NOT an objective definition. Someone like Din comes along and says rigidly "You are not a mandalorian" but someone else could still consider him to be "a mandalorian"

And Boba? Well Boba is a clone. Based on Clone Wars and Clone Troopers, I don't see any evidence that clones inherit any sort of sociological classifications of their donors.

so you can't say Boba is genetically a Mandalorian, because his donor, Jango was not genetically Mandalorian.
    You can't say Boba is a "foundling" Mandalorian, because he was never adopted into the culture and he doesn't intrinsically inherit that from his donor.
    You can't say Boba is a child of Mandalore because he's NOT a child, he's a clone. So even if children of foundlings are considered Mandalorian, he doesn't qualify.
    I don't think we can claim knowledge of if adopted children of foundlings are intrinsically considered Mandalorian or not.
    You certainly can't say Boba is culturally a Mandalorian, because he actively rejects the culture of Mandalore as its been explained to us, choosing to go his own way.

Boba believes the armor is his because it was his fathers. End of.
    It's very obviously a religion. Djin even says so at one point confirming that it's still true even in new Canon.
    Last edited by druid91; 2021-11-30 at 11:40 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

There is at least one RL example of a label being applied simultaneously to a religion and an ethnicity, where you can be one without necessarily being the other. Couldn't the same principles apply to the grouping of 'Mandalorian'? A person genetically descended from the natives of Mandalore, and someone who follows The Way, aren't inherently linked in either direction?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    It is stuff like this that makes me wonder why people complained about Disney shoving it all into Legends. The only good EU properties I've ever heard people talk about were Rogue Squadron and Thrawn. At least Disney won't be dropping any moons on Chewbacca.
    There were more, but you're still close enough for government work. There's a reason I loudly applauded the Disney canon wipe. Except I think they didn't go far enough with leaving the Clone Wars in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It will always be funny to me that the Old EU decided that Obi-Wan stating that the Jedi Order had protected the Republic for "a thousand generations" meant that the Old Republic would have celebrated its 25, 000th year of continuous existence this very year. Not only was the old man willfully looking back on better times while in casual conversation was not being hyperbolic, he was precise to the fifth decimal place!
    Pendulum swinging the other way isn't much better. The Republic has only been around for a thousand years, and coincidentally also precisely this very year!
    It's very obviously a religion. Djin even says so at one point confirming that it's still true even in new Canon.
    Speaking of taking throwaway lines literally...
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    There were more, but you're still close enough for government work. There's a reason I loudly applauded the Disney canon wipe. Except I think they didn't go far enough with leaving the Clone Wars in.

Pendulum swinging the other way isn't much better. The Republic has only been around for a thousand years, and coincidentally also precisely this very year!

Speaking of taking throwaway lines literally...
    True, but if it walks like a religion, talks like a religion, and says it's a religion...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

6. - Top - End - #66

True, but if it walks like a religion, talks like a religion, and says it's a religion...
    The Way may be a religion (though I'm not willing to completely commit to that, I'm also not discounting it). But followers of The Way are not indicative of Mandalorians as a whole.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Err no? Djin calls it a "creed" but that seems more in the sense of "code" or "way of life" than religion. There's no indication that it has any supernatural component.

Edit: Also, Djin isn't very knowledgeable about Mandalore, so I wouldn't take his word as authoritative.
    I'm not sure how "doing the exact same thing with another quote" counts as "swinging a pendulum", but true enough.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-11-30 at 12:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Err no? Djin calls it a "creed" but that seems more in the sense of "code" or "way of life" than religion. There's no indication that it has any supernatural component.

Edit: Also, Djin isn't very knowledgeable about Mandalore, so I wouldn't take his word as authoritative.

I'm not sure how "doing the exact same thing with another quote" counts as "swinging a pendulum", but true enough.
    The Way may be a religion (though I'm not willing to completely commit to that, I'm also not discounting it). But followers of The Way are not indicative of Mandalorians as a whole.
    https://youtu.be/vRhoKQj-_qI

At about 33-34 seconds in, he says "I'm a Mandalorian, Weapons are part of my Religion."

Given he hasn't been shown to have some *other* religion, and it was previously a religion in the EU.... Wouldn't it make sense to assume that's what he meant?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

https://youtu.be/vRhoKQj-_qI

At about 33-34 seconds in, he says "I'm a Mandalorian, Weapons are part of my Religion."

Given he hasn't been shown to have some *other* religion, and it was previously a religion in the EU.... Wouldn't it make sense to assume that's what he meant?
    I'm French, Food is part of my Religion.

Guess, French is a religion, now.

Edit:I know this is the Internet but people don't always mean exactly what they are saying. Sometimes, they use things called "hyperboles", "similies", "irony", "metonymies" and other word-tricks to carry meaning by relying on shared context to modify the interpreation lf speech.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-11-30 at 01:27 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing is indicative of Mandalorians as a whole, because they're composed of a bunch of different sects constantly in conflict over what being a mandalorian actually is.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Guess, French is a religion, now.

Edit:I know this is the Internet but people don't always mean exactly what they are saying. Sometimes, they use things called "hyperboles", "similies", "irony", "metonymies" and other word-tricks to carry meaning by relying on shared context to modify the interpreation lf speech.
    Which is a possible option, but incredibly unlikely. At which point it's just skepticism about it being a religion for the sake of skepticism.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

What other quote?
    Perfectly put. That's exactly how I interpreted that line.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-11-30 at 01:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Which is a possible option, but incredibly unlikely.
    Seriously dude, you've never said "It's part of my religion" as a semi-serious way to say "it's important to me"?

Also, can you point to any time Djin does something religious? Does he ever pray? Make sacrifice? Ask for a blessing? Expresses belief in an afterlife?
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #74

Seriously dude, you've never said "It's part of my religion" as a semi-serious way to say "it's important to me"?

Also, can you point to any time Djin does something religious? Does he ever pray? Make sacrifice? Ask for a blessing? Expresses belief in an afterlife?
    Aye. One of the biggest things for him is not letting others see his face. He cannot take off his helmet in front of other beings. When asked what happens, he doesn't say that he won't go to Mandalorian Good Place, or that his soul will be corrupted, or any sort of metaphysical consequences. He says he can never put it back on again. He doesn't get cast into the fires of Mandalorian Bad Place when he dies. He simply stops being part of the group.

Now,i have no problemn calling followers of The Way a sect, or a cult, but I would use both of those in terms of how they relate to general Mandalorian culture and not in any religious sense.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-11-30 at 01:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

No? Also...

... Uh yes? Like a full 25% of his character is his religion. Doing things because that's what it means to be a Mandalorian. What's right to do for a Mandalorian. How many times has the helmet thing come up?

I think you're too caught up with trying to map all religious belief to a preconceived notion of what religion looks like.

Aye. One of the biggest things for him is not letting others see his face. He cannot take off his helmet in front of other beings. When asked what happens, he doesn't say that he won't go to Mandalorian Good Place, or that his soul will be corrupted, or any sort of metaphysical consequences. He says he can never put it back on again. He doesn't get cast into the fires of Mandalorian Bad Place when he dies. He simply stops being part of the group.

Now,i have no problemn calling followers of The Way a sect, or a cult, but I would use both of those in terms of how they relate to general Mandalorian culture and not in any religious sense.
    Again. You guys are way too caught up with trying to map it onto certain IRL religions that shall not be mentioned. Not all religions are like that.

And also again, Mandalorians in the EU were a religion. They haven't changed all that much in the new Canon and give off explicitly religious vibes, while outright stating in at least one place "Hey we're a religion."
    Last edited by druid91; 2021-11-30 at 01:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

... Uh yes? Like a full 25% of his character is his religion. Doing things because that's what it means to be a Mandalorian. What's right to do for a Mandalorian. How many times has the helmet thing come up?

I think you're too caught up with trying to map all religious belief to a preconceived notion of what religion looks like.
    That's a circular argument. Yes,, if "Mandalorian" is a religion, then trying to behave as Mandalorian as possible is religious. But if it is not, then it is not.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-11-30 at 01:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Colossus in the Playground

In-universe, some other Mandalorians refer to the Children of the Watch as religious zealots.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Children_of_the_Watch
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Bo Katan is a traitor twice over to the Mandalorian Way, she's not the most reliable source.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Colossus in the Playground

Maybe - but the idea seems to be that the "Way of the Mandalore" followed by the Children of the Watch is supposed be a religion of a kind. The usage of the term "Creed" does make it sound that way.

The name also suggests that they're a splinter group of the Death Watch (Bo-Katan's own organization early on) - especially in the context of the guys who rescued the young Din Djarin and raised him, wearing Death Watch style armour, right down to the "shriek-hawk" symbol.

She might call them "religious zealots" but I think they themselves would only take issue with the "zealots" part of the description.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-11-30 at 02:27 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Yet another trailer, this one a little bit longer:

Mainly the same scenes before, although...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...new ship at 0:27, with some "witness my arrival, I'm significant" vibes.

Also, I'm getting the sense that Boba might have some prosthetics in his post-Sarlacc phase.

Probably a few more trailers to go until we get to the caboose of the hype train.

21. - Top - End - #81

Tomorrow, tomorrow, there's always tomorrow. It's only a day aaawwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, in the old EU (which I generally like) I always found Mandalorians and especially Boba Fett as kinda annoying fanwanky nonsense creations.

But yeah, I am actually looking forward to this show.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Dec. 29, according to the current banner on Disney+. Just in time for them to raise the annual subscription by $10.

I love Mando, and I’m expecting to enjoy Boba Fett, and definitely looking forward to Ahsoka and the High Republic series, not to mention Visions Season Two.

But the various Marvel shows this year have been…a mixed bag, to say the least. Many of the new shows probably won’t be out until 2023 at the earliest, and probably with another price increase by then.

I'm confident Boba Fett will deliver, but not as sure after that.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Honestly, in the old EU (which I generally like) I always found Mandalorians and especially Boba Fett as kinda annoying fanwanky nonsense creations.

But yeah, I am actually looking forward to this show.
    From the Travis books and Bounty Hunter Wars, I totally understand. Loved their representation in KOTOR 1 and 2, though.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-12-27 at 01:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

From the Travis books and Bounty Hunter Wars, I totally understand. Loved their representation in KOTOR 1 and 2, though.
    I never got KOTOR 2 to actually work, but agree on KOTOR 1. I really think a key function of that and one of the reasons the Mandalorian only sort of works, is that it's willing to actually address both the strengths and weaknesses of the Mandalorians, instead of having the Mandalorians be unstoppable badasses. I think my favorite scene out of the entire game may be the Carth-Canderous conversation on this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK85sQyE5Ls).

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Dec. 29, according to the current banner on Disney+.
    Dangit, I could have sworn that it was the 28th today. Don't I feel embarrassed.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Mandos as a concept just seemed weirdly uncreative. We know how to make this super durable metal, time to use it to make the same exact suit of armour 100 million times.

Spoiler: Mando Armour
    Show
    it ends up being pretty drama sapping, as it results in action scenes vainly trying to somehow squeeze tension out of shooting blasters at someone that is nearly invulnerable to blasters. It's such a massive advantage that it breaks the combat.

If this show wants me to take an interest ( which, honestly, it probably doesn't) it'll have to find some way around that problem.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean to be fair In 90% of star wars media blasters aren't usually a threat to a main character because lightsaber.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

I mean to be fair In 90% of star wars media blasters aren't usually a threat to a main character because lightsaber.
    And in 9 additional % blasters aren't a threat because stormtroopers/droids.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Not the same.

With a lightsabre, there's potential to not be quick enough, there's still potential danger (and we do see Jedi get overwhelmed or have to flee)

Spoiler
    Show
    Mando gets into utterly stakesless fights where he's held up at gunpoint when said gunpoint has no prospect of hurting him. They do Western style standoffs like with the head of security in that town where they pretend that being quick on the draw matters, when Mando is at no risk at all, because even if the other guy shoots first it will just bounce off him.

See: Head of Security in that Town, Cobb Vanth, etc.