New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Book of Boba Fett - First Trailer

It should really have been a subtitle. "The Mandalorian: The Book of Boba Fett".
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    It also feels like the original sin that the show couldn't escape is that what should have been a mid-season climax in The Book Ballad of Boba Fett was wasted on a quick afterthought to Mando season 2.
    I think having Boba retrieve his armour was a fine way to re-introduce the character. It was a smart way to build up hype for his incoming show.

With that said I wonder if rather than a flashback structure, the show would have been better served by having the frist two/three episodes saet betwenn RotJ and Mandalorian and then a time-skip to Boba taking over Tatooine.
    Also I'm still amazed that the flashbacks ended up not mattering at all to the "main" story. Was the idea of Boba uniting the Tuskens and Tatooinian settlers under one banner that hard to come up with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It should really have been a subtitle. "The Mandalorian: The Book of Boba Fett".
    Except it's only The Mandalorian for two episodes. I guess it would have made it clearer for the fans of the Mandalorian that they need to watch (half of) this to get Din Djarin's full story.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #933

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Also I'm still amazed that the flashbacks ended up not mattering at all to the "main" story.
    ....but they did? That's what changed him from a loner to someone who wants to be part of something bigger. He even directly says this at one point: "everyone needs a tribe". It was kind of a big theme.
    Except it's only The Mandalorian for two episodes. I guess it would have made it clearer for the fans of the Mandalorian that they need to watch (half of) this to get Din Djarin's full story.
    So you're saying that it continues The Mandalorian's story but mostly focuses on another character? As in, the exact scenario you'd want for a subtitle like "The Mandalorian: The Book of Boba Fett"?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-02-27 at 06:27 PM.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

....but they did? That's what changed him from a loner to someone who wants to be part of something bigger. He even directly says this at one point: "everyone needs a tribe". It was kind of a big theme.
    I meant less in terms of theme and more of plot. Not to mention the utterly superfluous "let's steal my ship back" sequence.
    And event then, the implementation is sorely lacking. Boba spends two episodes getting a tribe who's casually wiped out off-screen and he makes no connection with his later posse. I swear the tusken stick is only used again in the final duel.

Also what was up with the Kamino flashbacks?
    So you're saying that it continues The Mandalorian's story but mostly focuses on another character? As in, the exact scenario you'd want for a subtitle like "The Mandalorian: The Book of Boba Fett"?
    No. The exact scenario you'd want The Mandalorian: The Book of Boba Fett would be a show where Boba Fett is the main character dealing with other characters established in The Madalorian (for example a Fett/Cobb Vanth conflict) and Din Djarin is a supporting character at best. A show that explores things established in the Madalorian but is not necessary for the story of The Mandalorian.

You don't switch protagonist for two episodes. That's not how you tell a good story. We didn't get an anciliary show of Mando, we got two episodes of Mando grafted to a completely different show.
    Forum Wisdom

5. - Top - End - #935
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I think, for something that took up 1/3-1/2 the run-time of the portion of the series focused on Boba, that it maybe should have tied into something besides Boba's character development (such as it was). The obvious way to do this would have been to not massacre the Tuscans and rather switch things around so Boba was essentially acting as their agent in Mos Espa. They could have come in to assist in defending against the Pykes and it would have nicely explained why Boba is pretty ****ty as a crime boss, because he isn't one.

Moreover, Boba wasn't really established as a loner prior to this, so that 'character development' wasn't really needed? Maybe I missed something in Clone Wars, or the Mandalorian. But in the Mandalorian, he's already post-character development. And in Clone Wars, he always works with a team. The only times we see him working alone are in the OT, where he's literally on a job hunting folks down and is alone. Then he's working with Jabba's gang.

This show definitely takes the Boba is a loner character angle, but they've introduced it to his character in order to spend quite a bit of its very short run-time developing him out of it. Which is just a wild decision for a 7 episode show...

Not as wild as having an episode and a half of another show in the middle, but still, wild. Between the Mandalorian and the flashbacks, the present is...like 3 episodes of this 7 episode series? Maybe 3.5?

6. - Top - End - #936

I meant less in terms of theme and more of plot. Not to mention the utterly superfluous "let's steal my ship back" sequence.
    And event then, the implementation is sorely lacking. Boba spends two episodes getting a tribe who's casually wiped out off-screen and he makes no connection with his later posse. I swear the tusken stick is only used again in the final duel.

No. The exact scenario you'd want The Mandalorian: The Book of Boba Fett would be a show where Boba Fett is the main character dealing with other characters established in The Madalorian (for example a Fett/Cobb Vanth conflict) and Din Djarin is a supporting character at best. A show that explores things established in the Madalorian but is not necessary for the story of The Mandalorian.

You don't switch protagonist for two episodes. That's not how you tell a good story. We didn't get an anciliary show of Mando, we got two episodes of Mando grafted to a completely different show.
    Eh, suffice it to say I disagree on both points.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Spamalot in the Playground

Agreed.

I don't actually think including Din Djarin in BoBF was that big a deal. Boba calling on him in a pinch makes sense; you can even have the first Mando episode where we seem him bereft of Grogu and trying to get on with his bounty hunting, being soft-excommunicated by the Armorer for removing his helmet, followed by arriving on Tatooine to be recruited by Fennec. All of that would be of interest to Mandalorian viewers, but it could be recapped pretty quicky at the start of Mando S3.

Where I think they went too far was including all the Grogu and Luke stuff in this show. Not only was that a big plot turn from how M2 ended, it contained massive character moments for both Grogu and Luke, to say nothing of the lead-in to Ahsoka's show. In addition, these episodes could have given us a great glimpse into Mando's life without Grogu, showing him truly off-balance and mourning what he's missing, i.e. his de facto son.

The whole "Mando is sad and tries to visit Grogu" thing could have easily come after the Tatooine stuff, preferably at the start of Mandalorian S3.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

Just caught up to episode seven after a long hiatus. Overall, i enjoyed it! Seeing Boba collect allies and start an empire, with all of them culminating together in that final episode? it was fun! Kinda makes me want to do something similar in a Starfinder campaign or something.

What i liked about it was it's light "western" feel. it was all politics and gaining allies and resources, no space magic or jedi shenanigans. it's good to see the parts of the star wars galaxy that don't revolve around the same eight or so people that the entirety of the movies all revolve around. The wookie was fun, the cyborgs were fun, i LOVED the episodes around the Tuskan Raiders, that dance they did at the end of episode 2 had my giddy and in chills. Was honestly kind of sad that Mando didn't go to the Tuskans who helped with the Dragon to see if they'd be willing to help with the war. Might have been a good bit of interaction between them and Boba.

Was kind of sad they didn't include a scene of Boba watching Mando ride away with his armor. figured that would be in there somewhere. Thought it'd be in there before he encountered Fennec, but i just checked back and yeah, Fennnec happened before the dragon.

Boba did kind of hint that he spent "Years" with the Tuskans though. Figure that could have been displayed better somehow, not 100% sure. Maybe have the kid he rescued visibly grow up a bit? or some kind of small animal with a distinguishing feature? Honestly though everything with the Tuskans happened in the span of a couple of weeks at most.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Where I think they went too far was including all the Grogu and Luke stuff in this show. Not only was that a big plot turn from how M2 ended, it contained massive character moments for both Grogu and Luke, to say nothing of the lead-in to Ahsoka's show. In addition, these episodes could have given us a great glimpse into Mando's life without Grogu, showing him truly off-balance and mourning what he's missing, i.e. his de facto son.

The whole "Mando is sad and tries to visit Grogu" thing could have easily come after the Tatooine stuff, preferably at the start of Mandalorian S3.
    I think i could agree with this overall. I did like the Mando episode(s), but i liked them more for Mando, less for Grogu. I Enjoyed seeing Mando return to what was left of his... group? idk what they're called as a group, and deal both with the loss of a majority of their number, as well as the conflict that came after, both with the other Mandalorian for the claim to the dark sabre, as well as with the Smith over the helmet removal. I'm glad that Mando stuck with his faith (in the context of Star Wars) even after finding out that his group was a fringe cult (in the context of Star Wars) / religion (in the context of Star Wars) that wasn't part of the majority of Mandalorian culture. I hope he sticks to it and doesn't go "the way is wrong, yadda yadda" on us. Got the feeling that he kind of hopped the other Mandalorian would beat him in combat over the dark sabre. can't say I'd blame him if that was the case.

But yeah, going to visit Grogu and giving him the armor could probably have waited for another time. Give Mando some time to shine on his own for awhile.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2022-03-01 at 04:14 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #939
    Bugbear in the Playground

It also feels like the original sin that the show couldn't escape is that what should have been a mid-season climax in The Book Ballad of Boba Fett was wasted on a quick afterthought to Mando season 2.

I think having Boba retrieve his armour was a fine way to re-introduce the character. It was a smart way to build up hype for his incoming show.

With that said I wonder if rather than a flashback structure, the show would have been better served by having the frist two/three episodes saet betwenn RotJ and Mandalorian and then a time-skip to Boba taking over Tatooine.
    Also I'm still amazed that the flashbacks ended up not mattering at all to the "main" story. Was the idea of Boba uniting the Tuskens and Tatooinian settlers under one banner that hard to come up with?

Sorry that wasn't clear, I meant the post-credit scene in Mando season 2, where Boba Fett shows up at Jabba's palace and kills Bib. That should have been seen in-timeline during his series, not as the post-credit scene or teaser. It forced the writers to have the flashback structure and bend over backwards to write the show around that reveal, since how Boba Fett got to that post-credit scene was as interesting as what would happen after. Only thing is that, with a flashback, we knew where and how he would end up so a lot of the interest was diffused.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Sorry that wasn't clear, I meant the post-credit scene in Mando season 2, where Boba Fett shows up at Jabba's palace and kills Bib. That should have been seen in-timeline during his series, not as the post-credit scene or teaser. It forced the writers to have the flashback structure and bend over backwards to write the show around that reveal, since how Boba Fett got to that post-credit scene was as interesting as what would happen after. Only thing is that, with a flashback, we knew where and how he would end up so a lot of the interest was diffused.
    Oh, I get it.
    I don't think Bib Fortuna's death is that essential to show in TBoBF, it's not like the character posed any real threat.
    Having it as a teaser was fine. Though I guess there's no reason they couldn't have shown the scene again in thr show proper. Maybe with a different angle, so it doesn't feel lazy.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Effluvium33
    {scrubbed}
    Drugs mess with brain chemistry, which result in a let's say... different state of consciousness. {scrubbed}

It has the advantage of usually involving vivid visual hallucination, which is very handy for a visual medium, that is going to rely on images to convey meaning to the audience.

{scrubbed}

Also, lizard going into the nose is funny.

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-03-01 at 08:42 AM.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Thread closed for review.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

13. - Top - End - #943

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Thread re-opened