New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Book of Boba Fett - First Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You ever play KOTOR? Because it's amazing and you totally should if you haven't.
    On the other hand, there's a specific event in BoBF episode 2 that's completely anathema to whatever culture being depicted in KOTOR

Spoiler: Boba Fett Episode 2
    Show
    The Sand People of KOTOR would never accept to use outworlder's machines and their technological desecration of the Blessed Sands.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    On the other hand, there's a specific event in BoBF episode 2 that's completely anathema to whatever culture being depicted in KOTOR

Spoiler: Boba Fett Episode 2
    Show
    The Sand People of KOTOR would never accept to use outworlder's machines and their technological desecration of the Blessed Sands.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You mean the same sand people who attack you with blasters and turrets stolen from Anchorhead, and who deploy mines to stop you and other intruders?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You mean the same sand people who attack you with blasters and turrets stolen from Anchorhead, and who deploy mines to stop you and other intruders?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The very same.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't they also task you with getting portable moisture vaporators?

Anyway, I'm not saying it must be 100%, exactly like KOTOR. Just that it's a good baseline.

.... Though I hope they make KOTOR canon again.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't KOTOR 10,000 years ago or something? I imagine there's a bit of room for cultural diversity in that time, not to mention that every member of the same species is not necessarily the same.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Isn't KOTOR 10,000 years ago or something? I imagine there's a bit of room for cultural diversity in that time, not to mention that every member of the same species is not necessarily the same.
    Just over 3900 years before TPM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard
    I’ve never played KOTOR, and have barely any idea what it is…but yes, it would certainly make sense that there would be plenty of diversity among different groups, especially if they’re in different regions and eras.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

This very episode pointed out that different Tusken clans behave differently.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    This very episode pointed out that different Tusken clans behave differently.
    As did KOTOR, frankly.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

I just want to make the point that whatever Lore we saw in KOTOR was from a specific tribe that had their own culture, taboos and practices and we cannot assume it is the same lore taboos and practice as the one depicted in this series.

Their origin myths can also be wildly diverging

11. - Top - End - #191

I just want to make the point that whatever Lore we saw in KOTOR was from a specific tribe that had their own culture, taboos and practices and we cannot assume it is the same lore taboos and practice as the one depicted in this series.

Their origin myths can also be wildly diverging
    Wasn't really a myth in KOTOR.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Wasn't really a myth in KOTOR.
    Part of it was. They all had their myths, interpretation and 10,000 years of distortion of the historical events.

We knew that there was an Empire of Evil, but that's about as generic a backstory for a people as having spirits.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler: Red Eyes
    Show
    We did see red eyes in the tree when Fett first sees it, and we’ve seen red-eyed jawas, so I’m thinking the eyes were meant to be jawas.
    Uh. I didn't notice.

Spoiler: Up & Away
    Show
    I don’t know the canonical explanation, but when Mars lost its oceans, they evaporated into space. Something similar might have happened on Tatooine.

That said, Mars lost its atmo before its oceans, which would be the wrong sequence for what we see on Tatooine, so there may well be another mechanism at work here.
    Water's heavier than air. It's not going to take off into space if the atmosphere's still around. Of course, this is Star Wars, so maybe the Hutt took all of it off-world to sell or some other nonsense.

Spoiler: Beating the Heat
    Show
    In one of the Star Wars visual guides dealing with Tatooine, there was a device called a “coolth generator,” which was how slightly wealthier locals could deal with the heat. Wouldn’t be surprised if Black K has a couple of these on his person.
    That's called a pack of ice.

You ever play KOTOR? Because it's amazing and you totally should if you haven't.
    You know, I should get around to playing the first one someday. Heh, maybe the remake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I’ve never played KOTOR, and have barely any idea what it is…but yes, it would certainly make sense that there would be plenty of diversity among different groups, especially if they’re in different regions and eras.
    Knights of the Old Republic is a critically acclaimed Star Wars RPG video game by Bioware, where you control a Jedi leading a motley crew to fight in a Jedi-Sith War 4, 000 years before the main films (and look for pieces of a map leading to an ancient superweapon because of course.) It is famous for introducing (Darth) Revan, easily one of the most popular Legends character for being a Sith with, you know, actual depth. Also HK-47 is hilarious.

Its sequel, Knights of the Old Republic II, the Sith Lord has you playing the last known surviving Jedi in the aftermath of that war, trying to rebuild (or not, your choice) the Order and escape the resurgent Sith gunning for you. It is famous for being very critical and deconstructive of the Star Wars mythos (the last game's war is known as "The Jedi Civil War") and RPG tropes (during your travel you assemble a band of colorful characters from various walks of life with wildly different outlooks. How do they get along? Terribly) and also for not having been finished properly. It also features prominently Kreia, possibly the most polarizing character in Legends. Also HK-47 is hilarious. The Last Jedi owes a lot of its themes and concepts from this game.

The Old Republic, set three hundred years later, during a cold war between the Republic and the Sith Empire, is technically a sequel to both of those, although it is an MMORPG and many deplores the way it treats characters from the previous games. "And then they failed and died pointlessly." The vanilla game offered you to choose between four Republic-aligned classes and four Imperial-aligned ones each with its own well received storyline. The story that came with the later patches is not as well regarded (Hey, here's a surprise secret empire!).
    It holds the distinction of being the only Legends IP still active. Also HK-47 is there.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-01-07 at 02:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194

KOTOR's superweapon was very well done, unlike literally every other one after the original Death Star (Centerpoint Station in legends was pretty decent, though).

Also, KOTOR I had better story and KOTOR II had better game play though they both excelled in both. Also, still sore that the studio rushed the release of KOTOR II. I loved the Mandalorian bounty hunter you recruited, she was an excellent view into how differently Mandalorian culture could be demonstrated (along with Canderous Ordo from the first game).

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

KOTOR's superweapon was very well done, unlike literally every other one after the original Death Star (Centerpoint Station in legends was pretty decent, though).

Also, KOTOR I had better story and KOTOR II had better game play though they both excelled in both. Also, still sore that the studio rushed the release of KOTOR II. I loved the Mandalorian bounty hunter you recruited, she was an excellent view into how differently Mandalorian culture could be demonstrated (along with Canderous Ordo from the first game).
    The cultures you get to learn about. The exploration of Jedi and Sith traditions and philosophy... Ah man, these were great games.

Have you seen Noah Caldwell Gervais's review in the context of Star Wars and the Monomyth?

It's long, but it's really interesting. Like most stuff by Noah.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Spoiler for Kotor II, I guess
    Show
    I believe you mean "Canderous Ordo from both games". Also, Mira's kind of just Mara Jade transplanted a few thousand years back.
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #197

Spoiler: Spoiler for Kotor II, I guess
    Show
    I believe you mean "Canderous Ordo from both games". Also, Mira's kind of just Mara Jade transplanted a few thousand years back.
    No, I meant Mira.

Spoiler
    Show
    Imean, also Canderous, but Mira was also raised in Mandalorian culture. She was just less bloodlusty than most Mandalorians we see.

Also, the Mandalorians on Dxun.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

No, I meant Mira.

Spoiler
    Show
    Imean, also Canderous, but Mira was also raised in Mandalorian culture. She was just less bloodlusty than most Mandalorians we see.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was correcting you on "Canderous Ordo from the first game", when he's in both games, even though he's secretive about his former identity as Mandalore.

True, but Mira is still obviously very close to Mara as a character.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #199

Spoiler
    Show
    I was correcting you on "Canderous Ordo from the first game", when he's in both games, even though he's secretive about his former identity as Mandalore.

True, but Mira is still obviously very close to Mara as a character.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, but I didn't want to use spoiler tags so I kept my comment to first game for him.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, I meant Mira.

Spoiler
    Show

Also, the Mandalorians on Dxun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think Mira really identifies as Mandalorian the way Canderous does. She was raised as a slave, but she talks about them as a group she was close to, not one she was a member of.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think Mira really identifies as Mandalorian the way Canderous does. She was raised as a slave, but she talks about them as a group she was close to, not one she was a member of.
    That's called being member of an underclass

22. - Top - End - #202

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    She was originally captured as a slave but was taken in by one of the families and raised as a Mandalorian. She lost this family in the routing of Malachor V.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-07 at 04:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    She was originally captured as a slave but was taken in by one of the families and raised as a Mandalorian. She lost this family in the routing of Malachor V.
    Ah. So this is her "family" like the Scarlet Chorus becomes your "family"?

24. - Top - End - #204

The what in the what now?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

The what in the what now?
    Reference to Tyranny, pretty good game and pretty great setting by Obsidian with a somewhat rushed 3rd act. Scarlet Chorus is essentially a social darwinist army that recruits by way of things like putting every 10 captives of a raid in a pit, throwing in a single knife and inducting the survivor.

So not the best comparison, I'd say. Mando's are monstrous opponents in war (I think the mando companion in 1 refers to glassing continents at one point) but disciplined, honourable in the classic "warlord people" way, and actually bother to treat and arm their people well.

Not to mention that forcing people to become mandos is kind if the opposite of what they'd do. They won't induct (or offer to induct) anyone unless they think they have the skill and discipline. Circumstances of that could be iffy, I guess.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2022-01-07 at 08:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    Reference to Tyranny, pretty good game and pretty great setting by Obsidian with a somewhat rushed 3rd act. Scarlet Chorus is essentially a social darwinist army that recruits by way of things like putting every 10 captives of a raid in a pit, throwing in a single knife and inducting the survivor.

So not the best comparison, I'd say. Mando's are monstrous opponents in war (I think the mando companion in 1 refers to glassing continents at one point) but disciplined, honourable in the classic "warlord people" way, and actually bother to treat and arm their people well.

Not to mention that forcing people to become mandos is kind if the opposite of what they'd do. They won't induct (or offer to induct) anyone unless they think they have the skill and discipline. Circumstances of that could be iffy, I guess.
    Point taken, but they still enslave entire planets of people; destroying their autonomy and then recruit what they consider to be "the best" into their "family" so they'd abandon their culture. Mandalorians of this era are nothing but imperialist brutes with delusions of honor.

27. - Top - End - #207

Point taken, but they still enslave entire planets of people; destroying their autonomy and then recruit what they consider to be "the best" into their "family" so they'd abandon their culture.
    You're taking the exceptions and claiming those are the rule.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You're taking the exceptions and claiming those are the rule.
    Everything we've seen of the "ra ra old ways" Mandalorians sure makes it sound like it is the rule. Even Canderous flat out will tell you that the weak exist to serve the strong, frequently in the form of target practice.

29. - Top - End - #209

Even Canderous flat out will tell you that the weak exist to serve the strong, frequently in the form of target practice.
    Please, then, tell me what planets are Mandalorian slave worlds. Tell me which books or comics or games have mass recruiting drives.
    Even Canderous flat out will tell you that the weak exist to serve the strong, frequently in the form of target practice.
    He says the first part (because, ya know, he's evil). The second part is your own invention.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Please, then, tell me what planets are Mandalorian slave worlds. Tell me which books or comics or games have mass recruiting drives.

He says the first part (because, ya know, he's evil). The second part is your own invention.
    KOTOR 2 doesnt name them, but Mira specifically calls out that its how they fueled their galaxy-conquering war mar machine. Obviously as of the time of the games they dont have any because their forces were crushed by Revan and neither EU really deals with a period of time in which they try something like that again, but it explicitly happened.

And yes, Canderous does leave the second part as subtext, mostly. Though there are a couple of times on Taris and in conversation where he complains about the lack of anybody giving him a real fight up until he joins you.

ETA: Cathar was basically wiped out by the Mandalorians, with 90% of the population being killed simply to make a point. Canderous also specifically calls out that they were intentionally doing this in order to try and provoke the Republic into fully mobilizing against them.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2022-01-08 at 09:41 AM.