New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Favorite Board Game you Gave/Traded Away?

Gave away a bunch of games recently to free up some shelf space, and I noticed after the purge that many of the games I ended up trading away were “better” both objectively (by BGG rank) and subjectively, than many of the games I ended up keeping.

Personally, I ended up purging a bunch of good games because my wife didn’t enjoy them, so I only ended up playing them at game nights. Paradoxically, the most popular and mainstream ones were the most obvious ones to purge. There are plenty of opportunities to play Catan and Ticket to Ride even if I don’t bring a copy.

Additionally, I initially purchase multiple games using similar mechanics, all of which I like, but eventually end up trading away the less played ones. I like deck-builders, for example, but ended up trading away Thunderstone and Marvel: Legendary because Dominion and X-Files:Legendary Encounters were always hitting the table instead.

Lastly, I’ve traded some games away because I’m clearly no good at them and kept getting crushed whenever they hit the table. Personally, I’m terrible at spatial games. I think Tigris & Euphrates is a brilliant design but I traded it away to someone who was good at it because I got tired of bringing the instrument of my own destruction to game night.

My number one is Race for the Galaxy—I love the game, and have played the heck out of it on my tablet, but San Juan has similar game play and my wife likes it, so the cardboard version of Race never hit the table, and it ended up as my favorite game caught up in the purge.

What’s the best game you ended up giving or trading away? What guidelines do you use when purging your shelves?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite Board Game you Gave/Traded Away?

I don't generally give away games. My collection isn't so big that storage space is a problem. The only game I can recall giving away was Munchkin, and that was because I didn't enjoy playing it with the group of friends I had at that time. Several people took the game way too seriously, with one holding grudges after the game was over. It took me a while to realize that the problem was the friend, not the game, and by then I had already given it away.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Favorite Board Game you Gave/Traded Away?

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I don't generally give away games. My collection isn't so big that storage space is a problem. The only game I can recall giving away was Munchkin, and that was because I didn't enjoy playing it with the group of friends I had at that time. Several people took the game way too seriously, with one holding grudges after the game was over. It took me a while to realize that the problem was the friend, not the game, and by then I had already given it away.
    Munchkin is definitely not for everyone. Multi-player games with a take-that aspect often end being taken personally, especially if they last a significant amount of time. I’ve personally ditched most of mine, primarily because they’re also extremely random and un-fun, especially if they have mechanisms that cripple players but don’t quickly end the game thereafter.