New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Help : Best Setting(s) For Witches/Magi

After a very long discussion about role playing format with some other SV posters, I've decided on a modern day Occult RP between Magic Users and Vampires. The only question for me at the moment is, where should the setting be located? I'm thinking San Francisco, New Orleans, or Salem in the U.S, if it's set in America, or London, England.

If not San Fran, NO, Salem or London, then where? I was honestly thinking of the RP being kind of Gothic in tone, for lack of a better word. There WOULD be Vampires and Witches/Mages, Werewolves, and many other things in the setting, despite the RP it'self only having two of these things.
    Last edited by DarthArminius; 2021-11-02 at 02:38 PM.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Help : Best Setting(s) For Witches/Magi

I would note that if you set it in Salem, you should know Salem is now known as Danvers.

I would personally set it someplace else where you are more free to make your own lore vis a vis the city culture. For instance my home town has kidnapping tunnels for impressing sailors which would make for fantastic vampire lairs, and Seattle/Chicago have large underground sections from the cities sinking into the mud laat century.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe Paris? There's a lot of history to that place that could function as plot hooks, plus there's the catacombs. Or maybe an Italian city? I'd personally avoid the US for a game like this, for the simple reason that American cities lack history when compared to their European counterparts, and I'd fell like ancient mysteries would be pretty important.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DarthArminius View Post
    After a very long discussion about role playing format with some other SV posters, I've decided on a modern day Occult RP between Magic Users and Vampires. The only question for me at the moment is, where should the setting be located? I'm thinking San Francisco, New Orleans, or Salem in the U.S, if it's set in America, or London, England.

If not San Fran, NO, Salem or London, then where? I was honestly thinking of the RP being kind of Gothic in tone, for lack of a better word. There WOULD be Vampires and Witches/Mages, Werewolves, and many other things in the setting, despite the RP it'self only having two of these things.
    Some fun options:

St. Augustine, Florida. Oldest continually-inhabitated European settlement in what's now the United States; 450 years or so.
    San Antonio, Texas. Not quite as old (only 300 or so), but cooler.
    Boston, Mass. Close to Salem, still has that old-world feel. Streets may be laid out in arcane patterns of madness.
    Washington, DC. Lots of links to early American magic.
    Los Angeles, CA. Again, you've got the "old Spanish influences"
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Some more fun options:

Mexico City: Extreme wealth inequality and Mexico is a world leader in kidnappings, both are perfect for a hidden ruling vampire caste.

Detroit: Lots of options for decay, ruined, dark, and abandoned gothic feel.

Canada: Montreal could be fun and Canadian vampires could be REALLY fun. You've got a French catholic background and several cathedrals for set pieces.

Generic New England old money: Connecticut, Hamptons, etc. Ancient vampires, old money families who made deals with dark powers.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Why just one? Connect all the "magic towns" you're interested in exploring with portals, or a magic subway or something. Jump from the Marie Laveau house in New Orleans for one session, to Salem for the next, to Pendle Hill and Stonehenge, to Catemaco etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Some fun options:

St. Augustine, Florida. Oldest continually-inhabitated European settlement in what's now the United States; 450 years or so.
    Hell of a boring place to set a game, but there's a really nice Mexican bakery there.

Edit: I guess it works if you're going for "really quiet small town suddenly has spooky shenanigans going on" type of plot.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-11-04 at 01:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I suggest somewhere you actually know reasonably well. So that when someone inevitably asks "Where can I buy a set of coloured chalks and a horsewhip at 11 p.m.?", you can make an intelligent guess at an answer.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I suggest somewhere you actually know reasonably well. So that when someone inevitably asks "Where can I buy a set of coloured chalks and a horsewhip at 11 p.m.?", you can make an intelligent guess at an answer.
    That presumes the answer isn't just "Wal*Mart".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Hell of a boring place to set a game, but there's a really nice Mexican bakery there.

Edit: I guess it works if you're going for "really quiet small town suddenly has spooky shenanigans going on" type of plot.
    Boring can also mean "closely controlled".

"Nothing happens here because the Lords of Night don't want to draw attention" is not a bad place, if you want to keep the focus on the supernatural drama.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.