A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [WW/Mafia] Afterlife 2

For some of you, everything went wrong in an instant. The reactor should've been fine, but you saw some of your coworkers messing around near it right before it blew up. You can't remember who it was, but you know that you didn't die accidentally - this was sabotage. For some of you, everything went wrong gradually. You were sent to sabotage the reactor as insiders, but you're not exactly the most professional saboteurs. Too many mistakes, too many close calls almost getting caught, and it turns out you couldn't even delay the blast enough to all get out.

Now all of you are trapped in the power plant. The place is crawling with investigators and wannabe detectives of all kinds, trying to figure out what went wrong. And because you all felt some dire need to keep your name from being posthumously sullied, you have remained behind as phantoms to haunt the facility until the investigations are completed.

One of the teams investigating things are ghost-hunters, who seem convinced that some malevolent spirit is responsible for what went wrong. Worse, they're not complete loonies - they've got methods of communicating and exorcising ghosts that actually work. Every now and then, the ghostbusters will exorcise another of you, so now it's a race against the clock: can you point these wannabe polter-guys in the right direction to make sure justice is served, or will you fail and be blamed for the sabotage, with your living loved ones to bear the social consequences?

Spoiler: Rules
    Show
    Basic Mechanics
    This is a game of Werewolf/Mafia. It functions somewhat like "Among Us", if you are more familiar with that game.

Prior to the game starting, I will randomly assign roles to players from the lists below. The role you receive will define your win condition and what powers you have (if any). If you are a member of the scum team, you will start the game in secret contact with other members of scum team via a group QT, which you can use to discuss strategy without being discovered.

The game will start on a Day Phase; the first Day Phase will last 72 hours, while subsequent ones will last 48 hours. During any Day Phase, all players can vote for who they wish to "lynch" (remove from the game) that phase. Your vote is not set in stone once cast, and you can recast your vote at any time (or even unvote entirely), provided that the phase has not ended. To cast your vote, please bold and color in red the name of the person you wish to vote. It doesn't have to be their forum name proper, or some official "I vote [name]", as long as it's recognizable who you're voting and the formatting has been done.

At the end of the day phase, I'll tally votes, and declare how many votes each wagon received. Whichever wagon has the most votes is lynched and can no longer participate in the game publicly or privately (except for Dead Chat, where they can talk with me and anybody else who is already dead). I will then inform the other players of that person's role and alignment. If there was a tie between who had the most votes, the tie will be resolved randomly.

After a Day Phase ends, the game will shift to the Night Phase; all Night Phases will last 24 hours. If you possess a power that lets you target somebody during the Night Phase, this is the time to use it. During this time, the scum team will be able to select a non-scum player to be killed (as well as using whatever other powers they might have as well). After a Night Phase ends, the game will shift to the Day Phase once more.

This cycle will repeat until one of two things happens: either all members of one team or the other is eliminated, or the elimination of all members of one team is inevitable. For example, if you get to a Day Phase with 7 players left (3 town, 4 scum), town has basically already lost, and so a Mercy Rule will be invoked to call the game early instead of making everybody play through the next 120 hours.

QuickTopic

This community frequently employs the use of QuickTopic threads for games like this, in order to have private communication between players without the narrator's inbox getting filled up constantly. However, the overuse of QuickTopics by certain individuals (...me, I'm the one who's done this, primarily) has tended to result in them being the center of a great deal of the game's strategy rather than the main game thread, which 1) makes it difficult to gauge the game-state properly if 90% of the game is occurring in chats you're not in, and 2) makes it basically worthless to try and revisit the game later, since frequently only two QTs will get posted in the main thread (the wolf chat and the dead chat, typically).

Coupled with how QuickTopic might shut down before this game ends (depending on how many players we get and how long the game runs), I'm opting to not have private communication. Most people will be members of the town with no powers anyway, so there's no need for them to have a QT in the first place. In the previous iteration of this game, QTs still played an integral role in the mechanics, but you can rest assured that won't be the case this time around.

Narrator Confirmation

Narrator confirmation of things will be limited, but the narrator will not lie to you; if you are told a thing by the narrator (such as a death reveal, or an answer on a power interaction), it will be the truth. With that being said:

1) There will be no powers that screw with vote totals in this game. The process and results of the lynch shall be sacred and public.

2) There is a bastard mechanic, but I won't specify what it is until the game is over.

Roles

Most people will not have powers of any kind. No power roles will be defined here.

Player List:
    1. Book Wombat
    2. CaoimhinTheCape
    3. flame12
    4. gac3
    5. Libro
    6. moonfly7
    7. Saint-Just
    8. Snowblaze
    9. Supagoof
    10. Taffimai

Backup:
    1. EmmyNecromancer
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2021-11-05 at 02:51 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: CaoimhinTheCape's Dead Of Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Book Wombat View Post
    It's always AvatarVecna time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: [WW/Mafia] Afterlife 2

I'd love to join up AV

3. - Top - End - #3

Always hoping to be the first sign up but second isn't bad.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Time to die again!
    Rule Number One: Worship cookies!

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In. Unsurprisingly.

Hoping this goes better than last time.
    Werewolf games won: 9
    Werewolf games lost: 7
    Games as town: 9
    Games as neutral: 2
    Games as wolf: 5
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 8

I have no clue what I知 doing, but you still shouldn't trust me.

"When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable" ~ Nikolai Lantsov
    Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    Hoping this goes better than last time.
    I'm kind of hoping for the opposite, as the original Afterlife was the last game I won.

That said, my work continues to be unusually hectic so I'm not sure I'll have time for this one. At the moment it's a hard "maybe?", I'll make up my mind before recruitment ends.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I want to try it.

I have some experience with F2F Mafia, no experience with PBP. I've read recent topics on this forum.

8. - Top - End - #8

RedKnightGirl

Sign me up, please!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    The cleric was walking through a forest when he heard a loud explosion. Upon investigation, he quickly uncovered the ruins of a large tower he couldn't remember seeing there before. He decided to search the rubble for anything worth looting. At that point, I told the wizard to start rolling to see if he would stabilise.
    Hi Gac! Sorry for lynching you :(

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm guessing the "no private communication thing doesn't extend to wolfchat and that will be a QT as normal?

Nice to meet you, Saint-Just. Hope you like it here and stick around!

Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #10

In

Since Quicktopic is shutting down, how should we communicate with you and how will the mafia team stay in contact? PMs on the forum?

11. - Top - End - #11

PaladinGuy

This sounds like fun. Sign me up to die horribly.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I'm guessing the "no private communication thing doesn't extend to wolfchat and that will be a QT as normal?

Nice to meet you, Saint-Just. Hope you like it here and stick around!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    In

Since Quicktopic is shutting down, how should we communicate with you and how will the mafia team stay in contact? PMs on the forum?
    Scumteam will be allowed to communicate with each other via an established QT, and anybody who wants to can PM me game questions or power usage or things like that. I'm also looking at setting up a discord for our little community going forward.

13. - Top - End - #13

Going to get the Squirrel Nut Zippers stuck in my head once again. I'm in.

For those of you who are not in the know...
    Spoiler: Hell by the Squirrel Nut Zippers
    Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS2IBMQIjDo

In the afterlife
    You wife be headed for the serious strife
    Now you make a lynch at day
    But at night oh there'll be Hell to pay

In the afterlife

People listen attentively
    I mean about future calamity
    I used to think the idea was obsolete
    Until I heard the AV stamping the feet
    This is a place where eternally
    Blame is applied to everybody
    Points analyzed and lies shared abound
    And suspicion it is passed around

In the afterlife

Logic, talent, fame, funny
    Your history, your skill and brain
    But all the nonsense you try to hide
    Will be revealed on the other side

In the afterlife

In the afterlife
    You could be headed for the serious strife
    Now you make a lynch at day (meet the townies)
    But at night oh there'll be Hell to pay (yes oh wolf, oh it is hot)

Now the D and A and the M and the N and the A
    And the T and the I-O-N
    Know the place
    Choose your name
    Then get fitted for a suit of blame
    Now the D and A and the M and the N and the A
    And the T and the I-O-N
    Lose your face
    Lose your name
    Then get fitted for a suit of flames
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    That said, my work continues to be unusually hectic so I'm not sure I'll have time for this one. At the moment it's a hard "maybe?", I'll make up my mind before recruitment ends.
    Same. If things get less frantic in the next couple weeks, I'll join, but right now it seems unlikely.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

15. - Top - End - #15

Chimera

I hope this game isn't nearly as crazy as last time, we kinda lost our minds a few times there.

16. - Top - End - #16

PaladinGuy

I'll probably sit this out.

I think I am not good enough with my people reading to be useful in a low power game. And I'm not a fan of bastard mechanics.
    In addition to this, I think I should invest my time into something a bit more productive than forum games.

But I hope you'll all have fun.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

More Mafia

17. - Top - End - #17

RedKnightGirl

I think I am not good enough with my people reading to be useful in a low power game.
    Not so much a diss at Rogan as advice to the potential newbies reading this thread: this is a terrible reason not to sign up. Your value as a player does not depend on how brilliant you are at the game, and the best way to get better is by playing. If you're on the fence, please sign up, the game will be more fun with you in it than without. And the worst thing that can happen is that you get horribly murdered in your sleep, so fun guaranteed!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    The cleric was walking through a forest when he heard a loud explosion. Upon investigation, he quickly uncovered the ruins of a large tower he couldn't remember seeing there before. He decided to search the rubble for anything worth looting. At that point, I told the wizard to start rolling to see if he would stabilise.

18. - Top - End - #18

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    Not so much a diss at Rogan as advice to the potential newbies reading this thread: this is a terrible reason not to sign up. Your value as a player does not depend on how brilliant you are at the game, and the best way to get better is by playing. If you're on the fence, please sign up, the game will be more fun with you in it than without. And the worst thing that can happen is that you get horribly murdered in your sleep, so fun guaranteed!
    I can hardly disagree with most things here. If you want to try this game, do it! You can have great fun here even without practice (maybe even more so? ) and for everyone involved, more players mean more fun.

But there are worse things than being horribly murdered in your sleep:
    You could by horribly murdered while alive when the wolves select you as their favorite misslynch!

Okay, this game is different, since you are dead from the beginning, but hey, same principle.
    Show
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

More Mafia

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Aw, I was looking forward to being town buddies!

Seriously, though, I agree with Taffimai's points. And speaking as someone who's very self-critical I don't think you did that badly last game. You were right on me, after all, even if you didn't expect me to be a ruthless busser.

I trust AV that the bastard mechanic isn't actively anti-fun, at least. Just... atypical. And likely to cause at least one paranoid meltdown (probably from me).

But yeah, I definitely know the feeling of "this game is sapping way too much of my time".

Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #20

PaladinGuy

Aw, I was looking forward to being town buddies!

Seriously, though, I agree with Taffimai's points. And speaking as someone who's very self-critical I don't think you did that badly last game. You were right on me, after all, even if you didn't expect me to be a ruthless busser.

I trust AV that the bastard mechanic isn't actively anti-fun, at least. Just... atypical. And likely to cause at least one paranoid meltdown (probably from me).

But yeah, I definitely know the feeling of "this game is sapping way too much of my time".
    Maybe next time. It would be a whole new experience, after all.

I had some good points, some bad. I think I could manage even without a power, but it's slightly less fun for me.
    I probably would not be influenced by the bastard mechanic, but I prefer it when the other players make me paranoid, not the narrator.

Those two things don't make this match a no sell for me, but in addition to my own time schedule.... it's probably better for me to skip this.

I reserve the right to change my mind, depending on my RL, the number of players and other things. (It would not hurt if I get some more encouragement, but that's hardly the most important part of my decision making)
    Show

More Mafia

21. - Top - End - #21

I think I am not good enough with my people reading to be useful in a low power game. And I'm not a fan of bastard mechanics.
    In addition to this, I think I should invest my time into something a bit more productive than forum games.

But I hope you'll all have fun.
    Will miss having you - I disagree with the useful part (you did manage to call out the full mafia team last game a couple times, even if no one followed up) but taking time to focus on other stuff is important.

We have tons of time left in signups (I think it should last until the 16th?) so the more the merrier! New players should join! I honestly liked having my first game here be a no power game (Wild West I believe?) so I could focus on the social/scum hunting part. I did terribly, but everything is learning and I'm much better than I used to be despite getting lynched first last game

Ninja'd, but really Rogan if you gotta take time that's fine. Most players here take breaks every once in a while.
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2021-11-04 at 02:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Sitting em all out until my next big game.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Nobody else is gonna be right behind me, right now. Only Xihirli.
    If Xi and I agree some more, I will start to doubt my own alignment!
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Backup. I'm stressed out since since school, so I'm afraid that I won't be as active as I would like to be.
    Even though I am a necromancer, I am not a member of the Coven. In fact, my entire coven disbanded, so my alignment changed to Chaotic Good.

Looking for a game of Werewolf/Mafia? AvatarVecna's Afterlife 2 is currently recruiting.
    Last Updated: November 5th, 2021 @7:43 AM

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

*delurks* I値l see how my work schedule goes. I can maaaaybe join if time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    Quicktopic is shutting down

I never thought that壇 happen. Guess I知 going to need to go try and save everything from the games I致e played. Did they give a date for when they値l close?
    "Ye are who ye are on all o' yer days. All o' em. Includin' that worst an' tha best. Ev'ry single one counts. All tha way ta tha end."

Spoiler: Extended signatures
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Libro View Post
    *delurks* I値l see how my work schedule goes. I can maaaaybe join if time allows.

I never thought that壇 happen. Guess I知 going to need to go try and save everything from the games I致e played. Did they give a date for when they値l close?
    If you do, I might join as well, to do something like that:

Library & Book (because why wouldn't I continue a joke my autocorrect started? )

About QT: I think you should find the info you need here
    Show

More Mafia

26. - Top - End - #26

Funny thing is that 'libro' means 'book' in Spanish.
    Rule Number One: Worship cookies!

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

27. - Top - End - #27

Libro, around here, means death incarnate.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

28. - Top - End - #28

PaladinGuy

Hey, AvatarVecna? Are you going to tell the number of wolves this time? (Depending on the number of players)
    Show

More Mafia

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, AvatarVecna? Are you going to tell the number of wolves this time? (Depending on the number of players)
    No I am not.

30. - Top - End - #30

RedKnightGirl

Actually I was wondering, is there any chance we might start a bit sooner than scheduled? Since this is the last game with QuickTopics, and we won't be able to post new messages there starting the 27th, starting on the 16th might be tight even with only ten players.