New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (OOC)

Will Save Vs Pinning: (1d20+1)[9]
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Also I misread where the cloudkill was. DC 20: (1d20+4)[7]

EDIT: I think I have to go back as I'm frightened so can't move forward out of the smoke but can't kill the people shooting me because only those who rushed into the room can target the people in the room? My construct is immune to poison damage though so it can stay where it is and keep shielding people. It theoretically also has to save against pinning to actually advance though nd has a +0.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2022-03-02 at 09:38 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    Wisdom save vs pinning. I'm going to assume the frightened advantage from halfling applies, let me know if it doesn't.

[roll0] or [roll1]

Any saves against the gas or is that in the spoiler tag? Depending on pinnedness we might not be able to move into the room.
    It’s definitely an applicable fear save. The gas save is dc20 for half. You can feel free to read all spoilertags that aren’t specifically denied you; it’s just a neat way of ordering information and separating elements of a post!

Quote Originally Posted by Continental Op View Post
    Just making sure, those of us in the room (besides K'ral) do not need to roll for suppression, right? We can act as normal?

And how does it work if Wolf tries to pin the pinners? :) Can he try to pin both groups of soldiers, or are they too far away from each other?

Thanks.
    That’s right, K’ral is being specifically targeted (thus disadvantage on his pinning save) and the rest who rushes the smoke are not pinned!

It’s entirely possible to have two characters or groups pinning each other. If you want to pin an individual soldier, you can declare that as an action. Pinning whole groups is sort of reserved for machine gunners, though - part of that heavy support role! But a squad could devote several of its number to pinning enemies to reduce the enemy threat profile while others move up or attack, for example. But (to make it up on the fly) as an action, declare you are suppressing an enemy; and they, and anyone within 5ft of them, has to pass a wisdom save equal to 10+your proficiency + your attack stat, usually dex.

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Also I misread where the cloudkill was. DC 20: [roll0]

EDIT: I think I have to go back as I'm frightened so can't move forward out of the smoke but can't kill the people shooting me because only those who rushed into the room can target the people in the room? My construct is immune to poison damage though so it can stay where it is and keep shielding people. It theoretically also has to save against pinning to actually advance though nd has a +0.
    That’s certainly the enemy’s desire. Thought elements of the group may have inspirational mechanisms to get rid of pinning!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground

All guns! Shield cover from twenty-two through forty-four is down, duration unknown! Concentrate fire for effect!
    Poor beach grunts- they see us skyknives clear a path to the top so they start to rush it. Suddenly every allied ship is targeting that spot

The soldiers are dispersed and in heavy cover just like you, so a frag isn't going to catch a whole squad. Weasels are plastic explosives, designed for destruction of materiel and sabotaging vehicles and machinery, so setting them to throw is like rigging a stick of C4 with a short timer and chucking it. It can be done - but it's not made for the task like a grenade is. Bigger boom, no integrated fragmentation, likely to cause more destruction of property, disruption and smoke in the room.
    I'm more thinking concussive force. Police use grenade flash-bangs to stun before entering a room. Artillery kills mostly through concussion. Even firecrackers can do that.The weasel would have a lot more bang than a grenade and would more than make up for the lack of fragments, plus a larger stunning effect. An enclosed room like that might be bad news (to varying degrees) for everyone in/near the room. There I go thinking reality again

Remember unless otherwise notified, you're entitled to have grabbed 3/4 (+5AC) cover
    Direct Suppression on K'ral: Make a DC 14 Wisdom Save with disadvantage, or be Pinned!
    Did he get to the same cover we did before firing? If so he'd be unpinned pretty quickly.

the other's casting swiftly erect a confined, vertical rush of wind between the platform and the rest of the room.
    AFB right now but I think Fog Cloud has 120' range. If we target the center of the stage it will it just get blown away immediately? Xilo has to get the troops moving so may not have time for the weasel or spell.

EDIT: Assuming we are facing north as we enter? This is to clarify which relative way Ginger went when going east for cover.
    So: first enemy group to our 10, then to their 2 (our 11 or 12) is another enemy group, Ginger is off to our 3?

EDIT2: Still need to know who is down on Inspiration. LT and I can grant it to two people each but assuming I can't do so to people I can't see (in the mustard gas).
    Last edited by Cavir; 2022-03-02 at 11:30 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

5. - Top - End - #365
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here goes nothing then, banned gas weapons are a great way to tick off the pacifist medic though!

(1d20+1)[19]

Edit: So close!

I'm going to hold off on Doc acting in case he needs to get anyone back on their feet.

Edit 2: Can a pinned creature be pulled out of the smoke, even if they can't/won't move themselves?

Edur 3: I think Sal and O'Hara don't have inspiration and K'ral just used his.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-03-03 at 05:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    It’s entirely possible to have two characters or groups pinning each other. If you want to pin an individual soldier, you can declare that as an action. Pinning whole groups is sort of reserved for machine gunners, though - part of that heavy support role! But a squad could devote several of its number to pinning enemies to reduce the enemy threat profile while others move up or attack, for example. But (to make it up on the fly) as an action, declare you are suppressing an enemy; and they, and anyone within 5ft of them, has to pass a wisdom save equal to 10+your proficiency + your attack stat, usually dex.
    That is what I was thinking, as heavy support Wolf would use his inspiration to pin everyone in a 100' cone. My main goal was to interrupt the guy suppressing the hallway so the team could move into the room. But I just re-read the pinning rules, and it may not be worth it here. If they already have cover, does Wolf's "pinning" automatically cease? Could he suppress the machinegunner(s) in turn, and would that make a difference? If suppressing wouldn't help, I am thinking it may be better just to attack the gunners and try to take them out.

Sorry if I am bogging this down with all these questions, just trying to figure out the new rules and help the team as much as possible.

Oh, and Cavir, I am guessing that wind wall the mages conjured would stop fog cloud and all ranged attacks. I think someone needs to rush and try to engage them in hand-to-hand combat as soon as possible.

7. - Top - End - #367

I figured the wind wall would stop bullets but it's just a wall of air, not covering the whole stage area. I was curious if it would work if the fog effect is centered on the stage past the wall. Your pinning question relates to mine about K'ral.

Inspiration- I didn't know O'Hara was out too. That's why I had requested people letting me know. That's at least 2 ppl in the room without it (O'Hara and K'ral). Maybe the LT can handle that. I was playing it that I can't see that the people in the smoke are pinned.

Wolf pinning most of the enemy with a large cone would be awesome.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

8. - Top - End - #368

I haven't seen Heavenblade post in the thread in quite a while to be fair. Conjuring fog cloud behind the wall sounds like a thing that should work. I assume an attack cantrip or fireball etc. can get through as well right?

Assuming that no-one is down after the gas attack, Doc will probably try to drag the pinned Sal forward out of the gas. Does that sound sensible? He could use an action to Grapple and bonus to dash to get a normal move of 25' forwards dragging him.

9. - Top - End - #369

Doc's rolls because I'm stupid and have too many tabs open on my phone.

Perception check if required to spot any downed allies in the gas. (1d20+5)[18]

He'll attempt to grapple then drag any pinned folk he stumbles upon out of the gas (using his bones action to dash and get them oth 25ft forwards).

If no-one needs help he'll dash through the gas, find cover and hide. (1d20+4)[23]
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-03-04 at 03:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    Poor beach grunts- they see us skyknives clear a path to the top so they start to rush it. Suddenly every allied ship is targeting that spot

I'm more thinking concussive force. Police use grenade flash-bangs to stun before entering a room. Artillery kills mostly through concussion. Even firecrackers can do that.The weasel would have a lot more bang than a grenade and would more than make up for the lack of fragments, plus a larger stunning effect. An enclosed room like that might be bad news (to varying degrees) for everyone in/near the room. There I go thinking reality again

Did he get to the same cover we did before firing? If so he'd be unpinned pretty quickly.

AFB right now but I think Fog Cloud has 120' range. If we target the center of the stage it will it just get blown away immediately? Xilo has to get the troops moving so may not have time for the weasel or spell.

EDIT: Assuming we are facing north as we enter? This is to clarify which relative way Ginger went when going east for cover.
    So: first enemy group to our 10, then to their 2 (our 11 or 12) is another enemy group, Ginger is off to our 3?

EDIT2: Still need to know who is down on Inspiration. LT and I can grant it to two people each but assuming I can't do so to people I can't see (in the mustard gas).
    I had Bathory answer IC about the fog cloud. Technically you're facing East as you enter, but from a traditional D&D Map view, I think Ginger means to be breaking right, which is technically south. Let's say right; off to your 3. Also, Xilo, technically Gamble has granted you inspiration with his Shocktrooper kill this turn. Since your own use of Inspiration was delayed because of people (including myself) needing to supply info about who could use inspiration, I'm happy to let that little boon stack on top of your existing inspiration, so long as you discharge one of them in your next action.

Here goes nothing then, banned gas weapons are a great way to tick off the pacifist medic though!

[roll0]

Edit: So close!

I'm going to hold off on Doc acting in case he needs to get anyone back on their feet.

Edit 2: Can a pinned creature be pulled out of the smoke, even if they can't/won't move themselves?

Edur 3: I think Sal and O'Hara don't have inspiration and K'ral just used his.
    Sorry Doc! Can't heal what you can't see! And I think a pinned creature would fight you trying to move them closer to the source of their fear, I'm afraid. You might have to see if Sal and the NPC's emerge from the mustard gas on their own!

That is what I was thinking, as heavy support Wolf would use his inspiration to pin everyone in a 100' cone. My main goal was to interrupt the guy suppressing the hallway so the team could move into the room. But I just re-read the pinning rules, and it may not be worth it here. If they already have cover, does Wolf's "pinning" automatically cease? Could he suppress the machinegunner(s) in turn, and would that make a difference? If suppressing wouldn't help, I am thinking it may be better just to attack the gunners and try to take them out.

Sorry if I am bogging this down with all these questions, just trying to figure out the new rules and help the team as much as possible.

Oh, and Cavir, I am guessing that wind wall the mages conjured would stop fog cloud and all ranged attacks. I think someone needs to rush and try to engage them in hand-to-hand combat as soon as possible.
    Questions are all good! I went ahead and described you doing the pinning thing! But in detail: Being in cover while you're pinned means you can stand but does not unpin you. If you are pinned and not in cover, you have to throw yourself prone until you crawl into cover, at which point you can stand. So Wolf's pinning is perfectly effective against the folks in cover! I don't think the rules as I wrote them suggest that being pinned impacts your ability to pin, but that does seem weird. Perhaps being pinned means people have advantage against pinning effects you, yourself, are trying to incur - it's hard to pop up to suppress when you are yourself suppressed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    I figured the wind wall would stop bullets but it's just a wall of air, not covering the whole stage area. I was curious if it would work if the fog effect is centered on the stage past the wall. Your pinning question relates to mine about K'ral.

Inspiration- I didn't know O'Hara was out too. That's why I had requested people letting me know. That's at least 2 ppl in the room without it (O'Hara and K'ral). Maybe the LT can handle that. I was playing it that I can't see that the people in the smoke are pinned.

Wolf pinning most of the enemy with a large cone would be awesome.
    Yeah, Heavensblade hasn't posted in quite a while. I've been puppeteering him, but he's slated for reassignment after the mission. Gamble, incidentally, just spent his inspiration, so could use a top-up if you've no better targets. I'm giving his player the benefit of assuming he'll be back to resume control during this fight!

I haven't seen Heavenblade post in the thread in quite a while to be fair. Conjuring fog cloud behind the wall sounds like a thing that should work. I assume an attack cantrip or fireball etc. can get through as well right?

Assuming that no-one is down after the gas attack, Doc will probably try to drag the pinned Sal forward out of the gas. Does that sound sensible? He could use an action to Grapple and bonus to dash to get a normal move of 25' forwards dragging him.
    There's no rules for windwall causing any kind of wind except the vertical expression; but I've decided that it's got to make a certain amount of vortex - wind in motion is wind in motion, after all. And since Fog Cloud is a measly level 1 spell and Windwall is a muscular level 2, Windwall would win, and schloop up a fog cloud that was in its general vicinity.

Allied turn up!

11. - Top - End - #371

I nearly spat out my tea reading about Xilo's inspiration, how dare you!

So Xilo has double inspiration, Gamble used theirs, O'Hara doesn't have any. K'ral used theirs up last turn. Is that right? So if Xilo inspires two folk there will be at least one more left for inspiration if Doc uses his inspiration to heal himself?

It feels a bit naff to have Doc use it on himself but with all of the inspiration flying around hopefully he'll be able to patch up someone else again before too long and he'll certainly have a better chance of living long enough to do so.

Rolling for healing from hit dice:
    (4d8+4)[23]

1 random ally is inspired by Doc taking a swig from his hip flask and appearing to no-sell the gas. (If minor reconning is allowed he could alternatively jury rig a gas mask and walk out of the gas essentially unharmed, which might be more inspiring).

Edit: Fair enough on the wind wall interaction. Totally happy with finding folk in the gas being impossible!

Edit 2: Are any of the casters within 10ft of the wind wall? I'm wondering if frag grenades pelted at the wall might catch them.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-03-08 at 07:07 AM.

12. - Top - End - #372

SamuraiGuy

Awesome. So can Wolf try to keep up the suppression as a full-round action, or does that require another inspiration?

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

I foresee some slight of hand dropping a grenade into some pockets in the near future.
    Or alternatively the mages have something explosive on themselves already...

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I nearly spat out my tea reading about Xilo's inspiration, how dare you!

So Xilo has double inspiration, Gamble used theirs, O'Hara doesn't have any. K'ral used theirs up last turn. Is that right? So if Xilo inspires two folk there will be at least one more left for inspiration if Doc uses his inspiration to heal himself?

It feels a bit naff to have Doc use it on himself but with all of the inspiration flying around hopefully he'll be able to patch up someone else again before too long and he'll certainly have a better chance of living long enough to do so.

Rolling for healing from hit dice:
    [roll0]

1 random ally is inspired by Doc taking a swig from his hip flask and appearing to no-sell the gas. (If minor reconning is allowed he could alternatively jury rig a gas mask and walk out of the gas essentially unharmed, which might be more inspiring).

Edit: Fair enough on the wind wall interaction. Totally happy with finding folk in the gas being impossible!

Edit 2: Are any of the casters within 10ft of the wind wall? I'm wondering if frag grenades pelted at the wall might catch them.
    The casters are both with 10 ft of the wall, but I'm inclined to raise the spectre of possibility that the shrapnel won't penetrate the wall. If it's strong enough to turn aside bullets.

Also, technically, the enemy don't return fire at Wolf, and so they don't trigger Doc's overwatch crit. Which I feel bad about. But also it means he gets to be a pacifist for another round? :/ Plenty of medicine required this round, though.

Awesome. So can Wolf try to keep up the suppression as a full-round action, or does that require another inspiration?
    Maintaining suppression takes your action, but not move or bonus. So Wolf can spray and then hustle forward. As a rule, how much does Wolf care about hitting the enemy non-combatants in this 100 degree arc?

Quote Originally Posted by Novabomb View Post
    I foresee some slight of hand dropping a grenade into some pockets in the near future.
    Or alternatively the mages have something explosive on themselves already...
    From where Ginger is, he can't -see- grenades on them. But mischeif may still abound. Such is the way of the hand!

15. - Top - End - #375

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Maintaining suppression takes your action, but not move or bonus. So Wolf can spray and then hustle forward. As a rule, how much does Wolf care about hitting the enemy non-combatants in this 100 degree arc?
    Thanks. Wolf would be focused on the soldiers and not worry about the techs unless he saw they were attacking him. And I think he would use his move action to get closer to the Shielders, but only if he can still keep both groups of soldiers in his firing arc.

16. - Top - End - #376

I think everyone has had a dose of his normal healing at some point, so he's down to healing people on 0hp until he gets inspiration again. If Xilo and Sal are still up he might be stuck doing something wild and going through the wind wall himself.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I do have some healing abilities in addition to Sparky’s repeated patch jobs if they’re urgently needed. I’m stuck between healing my buddy from the gas cloud crew and laying down more spellfire on the stage.

18. - Top - End - #378

Dexterity Save DC 15 or take 31 lightning damage, save for half
    Before the bolt: 47/51hp, 13 temp hp
    (1d20+5)[22]

How close to the stage am I? I'm thinking of rushing to join Gamble, either helping him with the current acolyte or taking on one of the other two. The elf leaps through the windwall. The extra lift from the spell carries him enough to turn the Kreigshielder into an expedient crash pad.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379

I do have some healing abilities in addition to Sparky’s repeated patch jobs if they’re urgently needed. I’m stuck between healing my buddy from the gas cloud crew and laying down more spellfire on the stage.
    If you can shoot through the wall that might be good, if it falls then we can dog pile the Kriegshielder and help everyone on the beach.

20. - Top - End - #380

AssassinGuy

Breaking the concentration of the mage holding the wind wall would allow K’ral to get another guaranteed crit with his second inspiration

21. - Top - End - #381

Just had a thought, would Doc be able to dash up to the stage, get through the wind wall and lob his grenade at the Kriedshielder and or the acolyte holding up the wall?

The kriegshielder is a murderous war criminal and the acolyte is protecting him so that he can prolong his war crime, so I feel a break from the pacifism wouldn't be too out of character.

22. - Top - End - #382

AssassinGuy

Didn’t Doc give his grenade to someone else?

23. - Top - End - #383

I offered but I don't think anyone said they'd take it. No biggie if missed that though, he'll just do something else!

24. - Top - End - #384

I offered but I don't think anyone said they'd take it. No biggie if missed that though, he'll just do something else!
    Yeah, Xilo took it and used it when we opened the vault door. Doc is a ways away from the stage (taking others a couple of rounds to get there). The more people we can get onto the stage the better. Mages don't mix well with melee :)

Novabomb- in your IC post, you are donating a grenade to an acolyte? Would Mage Hand be strong enough to get it past the wind wall?

At the next resupply, Xilo will be fighting hard (physically if need be) for a larger supply of grenades per person. We are Skynives, it's our job to break things! (things being objects and/or beings, as needed)
    Show

25. - Top - End - #385

Thanks for the clarification, Cavir!

He can dash as a bonus action, so he can make it 50' on a double move or 75' using all of his actions this round. He has moved forwards on both of his previous rounds, so he might be able to make it onto the stage with an action to spare to jab a scalpel in the knee of the whichever of the Kriegshielder or wind wall mage is not currently being menaced by a floating grenade.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-03-17 at 03:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386

Yeah, would be good to get a summary of what we can reach with a move or dash this round. Maybe Xilo can't get to the archmage but could reach the other acolyte.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387

AssassinGuy

Waiting to see if the wind wall mage fails his concentration check(s) before acting

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Con Save: (1d20+4)[17]

Have I mentioned how much I love having an infinitely respawning set of temporary hit point. Because I'd be dead like three times over if not. 6HP is still less than ideal though.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2022-03-19 at 12:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Con Save: (1d6)[2]

Have I mentioned how much I love having an infinitely respawning desk of temporary hit point. Because I'd be dead like three times over if not. 6HP is still less than ideal though.
    Actually I just remebered I have barding inspiration so I'm going to use it on this.

(1d6)[2]

EDIT: Ah, one short.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2022-03-19 at 10:19 AM.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Sorry folks. Delinquent DM is delinquent! I'll update the current round tomorrow morning when I wake up, and that'll give anyone who is waiting on things to resolve a chance to act before all the NPC's tick over.