New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (OOC)

Okay! So the situation as it stands:

The grenade goes goes off on the wind-wall mage. He's badly mangled, and is probably about to deal with Gamble's attacks, among other things; but he passes his save, so the windwall is still up.

Xilo has popped the last mirror image on the other assistant mage, and given him a stabbing. Doc has cartwheeled up onto the stage and stabbed him as well. Between the fireball punishment from earlier and this, he's looking extremely rough too.

As for room locations, think at this point between everyone more or less consistently moving up, or having extra rogue moves, everyone is within one move of the stage. The exception is Wolf, who is still a ways off, but doing yeoman's work holding down the shredded remnants of the two squads. A move and a dash from him would mean next turn, he can get up there.

Cavir (and anyone else rushing the stage): you can go straight for the Kreigshielder, if you want. The mitigating tactical suggestion is that the offsiders are looking very badly beat up, where the big bosco seems lightly singed. And that's considering the earlier fireball, the facefull of magic trenchgun just now, AND the big opening snipe. If you'd rather make that tradeoff anyway, let me know.

As for Ginger's grenade trick, I went with the assumption he took something like an item interaction to toss a grenade to his mage hand, and then the mage hand's move to hover it around the windwall under the butt of the windwall mage.

Yet to act in the round:

Jukebox, keeping up with Salamir. O'Hara, backing up Wolf suppressing the remnant squads. Ordo and Catchell, cringing in cover, each badly wounded, mustering themselves to try to stop the destruction of intel by the noncombatants. Lt. Bathory and Gamble, lending their violence to the stage assault. K'ral, and Wolf; the PC's actions pending.

Enemies still extant:

Kreigshielder Archmage (Lightly Wounded).
    Mage Acolyte [Wizard] (Critically Wounded).
    Mage Acolyte [Druid] (Critically Wounded).

5 Kreigsgrenadiers, three of which are pinned; one badly injured, one lightly injured.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I just posted IC, but I am not sure on the ammo situation and keeping up suppression. If Wolf is running low on ammo for his M1, he would move closer to the Krieger soldiers with the hope of engaging them with his pistol if necessary. His primary motivation is keeping these soldiers from attacking the others.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Cavir (and anyone else rushing the stage): you can go straight for the Kreigshielder, if you want. The mitigating tactical suggestion is that the offsiders are looking very badly beat up, where the big bosco seems lightly singed. And that's considering the earlier fireball, the facefull of magic trenchgun just now, AND the big opening snipe. If you'd rather make that tradeoff anyway, let me know.
    I'm assuming that is for next round, since I'm popping the last image and getting in a real stab. I might have gotten things confused. Is the wind acolyte to the right and the mirror one that Gamble and Xilo are on to the left?
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Well, that's the projected outcome. Though you did ask about attacking the big guy, I just delinquently didn't get around to replying. I'm giving you a window to put that attack where you'd like.

And...Yyyes. I think that's the arrangement. Windy boy on the right, mirror lad on the left.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm assuming with the grenade going off and everyone acting simultaneously, Doc wasn't able to safely attack the wind wall mage. Since other folk are next to the mirror image mage he also gets sneak attack damage on his attack. Which might free up the LT and Gamble to attack the wind wall mage.

(3d6)[13] sneak attack damage.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-03-28 at 06:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I assumed the two side mages were to surround see to safely shatter. If at least one of them can have shatter cast on them without issue I’ll swap it to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

7. - Top - End - #397

Looks like the wind wall mage is wide open!

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

There's the big update!

Highlights:

The two offside mages are down, so only the Kreigshielder remains upright on the stage, and he's taking a punishing volley like an absolute champ. He's also starting to grow agitated, and has flicked a contemptuous amount of necrotic energy at the attackers.

Wolf's out of ammo, and has been charged and lightly stabbed by one of the soldiers.

The other unpinned soldier has charged and stabbed Ordo. Ordo is down and dying.

A gaggle of the bravest Kreiger noncombatants have cohered at the opportunity to prey on the weak Pvt Catchell, and fallen upon him in a furious mob. Catchell is down and dying.

9. - Top - End - #399

Ooh, people actually down, Doc might be able to do some healing! How far away is he from Ordo and Catchell? He'll try to give Sal a hand so he isn't doing all of the work.

Also, Con save (1d20+1)[10]

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Catchell is closer to the door, where he curled up after braving the gas. So he's about 80ft from the stage, where Doc presently is. Ordo is a little closer ; 60ft back from the stage, where Doc is.

11. - Top - End - #401

Going tontry and give Catchell a lifeline and hope that the combination of a shot from Sal and Doc bearing down on the Krieger over Ordo is enough to distract him from any coup de grace attempts.

12. - Top - End - #402

@45/51hp, 0 temp
    DC 18 Constitution save, or take 17 Necrotic damage, half on success
    (1d20+7)[11]

Gonna have to read up on grappling rules in 5E

EDIT: Maybe it's just me coming from 3.5 but there doesn't seem to be much in the 5E PHB on grappling. I use an attack to grapple. We do a contested roll. If I win he's grappled. That seems to just drop his movement to zero. No hindrance/interruption to casting/concentration, pinning, damage from the grab, or penalties to avoid being hit by others? I guess I can then use my regular attacks to attack with a one handed weapon.

Hopefully Gamble will get to apply his bat to a stationary arch mage :)
    Last edited by Cavir; 2022-03-29 at 08:13 PM.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

13. - Top - End - #403

Yeah, even with the grappler feat grappling isn't wildly effective in 5e (but at least it's much less complicated).

If you have two attacks you can try to push them prone first, then grapple. Since standing takes half their movement they are stuck prone until they escape the grapple. The other option is dragging the mage somewhere at half your movement speed, which probably won't make much difference now that the wind wall is gone.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    @45/51hp, 0 temp

[roll0]

Gonna have to read up on grappling rules in 5E

EDIT: Maybe it's just me coming from 3.5 but there doesn't seem to be much in the 5E PHB on grappling. I use an attack to grapple. We do a contested roll. If I win he's grappled. That seems to just drop his movement to zero. No hindrance/interruption to casting/concentration, pinning, damage from the grab, or penalties to avoid being hit by others? I guess I can then use my regular attacks to attack with a one handed weapon.

Hopefully Gamble will get to apply his bat to a stationary arch mage :)
    Yeah, grappling is really simplified and perhaps even nerfed in 5e; mostly because "I guess we look up the grapple rules again" was a big gripe in 3.5 and 4e. Subset of the rules you would either build toward to dominate, or completely ignore until you're being grapped by a kraken and swirlied. There's still some crazy things you can get up to if you build that way - goliaths with spiderclimb boots who grab two guys by the face and run halfway up a wall as they struggle and scream; druids who use spike growth on the ground then turn into a coatl or something to grab and drag the enemy into ground beef. But it's certainly weaker than it was. It's mostly restraining movement, and forcing maneuvers. But it'll certainly command attention from the grappled party - especially one so manically focused on another task!

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I’m dropping Sparky where I was last turn, but they can only move 15ft a round and I was 60ft away from the main combat as of last round so unless someone runs by and scoops it up it’s gonna take a while to get there.

16. - Top - End - #406

What the sarge wants and what's possible doesn't always match up with reality :)
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

That machine had Already WILDLY outperformed!

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

To be fair, the combo of large party sizes and otherwise solid defensive tactics has really helped that shine. It buffs in a way few other things buff but that remains REALLY effective. Frankly, Sparky's are gonna be standard issue by the next war. That's how Sal becomes an industry tycoon in the epilogue.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

We're in the endgame of the assault on Naphto beach, Skyknives! I'll resolve pending actions tomorrow, to make use of the remaining weekend. The Free World is depending on you!

20. - Top - End - #410

AssassinGuy

Don’t have time for a writeup but K’ral will be attacking the soldier next to O’Hara and Doc
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

To Hit: (1d20+2)[17] (1d20+2)[16] (1d20+2)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+14)[18]
    Sneak Attack: (3d6)[7]

21. - Top - End - #411

Come on Ordo, you can lick this Kreiger!

(1d20+8)[11]

He's just going to have to try and do what he can.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-04-05 at 03:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Them's the breaks! Doc can either assume he's still alive, and take an action to try to heal him - it'll become quickly apparent if he's not alive, and you won't waste the charge on the kit, just the action. Or he will have to assume he's dead. Either way, he has to contend with the violent enemy soldier stabbing away right over him! Though if the last turns have been indications, there's a strong likelihood he'll get washed away by allied fire.

23. - Top - End - #413

A jag in the leg for that no good beatnik Ordo for making his Doctor worried.

Rolling with advantage in case it crits.

(1d20+7)[10]

Edit: You responded quickly! I imagine he partly grabs the Krieger's leg and partly screams at getting a vial of adrenaline/morphine stabbed unto him. I don't mind wasting the med kit use, it makes more narrative sense that way.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-04-05 at 04:35 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Query: What was the result of Gabriel's actions?

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Ahh! I worked it out but forgot to weave it in. I’ll edit it in later. Short answer: Gabe hit, but he didn’t beat the passive perception of the Kreigshielder with the hide effort; so no sneak attack!

26. - Top - End - #416

Weren't so allies in melee with the Kriegshielder? So he should still have sneak attack (unless he was attacking at disadvantage for some reason).

27. - Top - End - #417

DC 18 Con save for Xilo, or take 21 Necrotic damage, Save for half
    Pre roll: 28/51 hp
    Save: (1d20+7)[23]

Sorry, I am away from books this week so I need some help.
    Inspiration: As a leader I can grant inspiration to two people which may also inspire a third. Problem is I don't know who doesn't have Inspiration at this point. I'm looking at doing it for the other two in melee alongside me. Normal usage is gaining advantage for a roll right?

Battle Master: Commander Strike: Superiority die added to their attack or damage?
    Precision Attack: Superiority die added to my attack or damage?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    Pre roll: 28/51 hp
    Save: [roll0]

Sorry, I am away from books this week so I need some help.
    Inspiration: As a leader I can grant inspiration to two people which may also inspire a third. Problem is I don't know who doesn't have Inspiration at this point. I'm looking at doing it for the other two in melee alongside me. Normal usage is gaining advantage for a roll right?

Battle Master: Commander Strike: Superiority die added to their attack or damage?
    Precision Attack: Superiority die added to my attack or damage?
    That's right; normal inspiration is pocket advantage to a roll. Jukebox and Gamble will take the inspiration, sure! I've been trying not to give it out to NPCs/orphaned characters, but at this point that's basically the option you have!

Commander's Strike: when you take the attack action, use a bonus action to direct a companion to strike. They use a reaction, and get your superiority die to their damage roll.

Precision Attack: when you make a weapon attack against a creature (for any reason), you can spend a superiority dice to add to the attack roll. Can be added retrospectively; but not after the DM calls hit or miss.

29. - Top - End - #419

I don't think K'ral, Gabriel, Sal, or Doc have inspiration currently. But keeping up direct pressure from those I melee is a great shout. If one of our snipers gets the random inspiration that will be win win!

30. - Top - End - #420

SamuraiGuy

Wolf does not have inspiration either, but he is not fighting the mage and doesn't particularly need it.