New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (OOC)

Those are some low damage rolls. If the dwarf is still standing and the last attack hits, Wolf will spend a superiority die to make a Menacing Attack to try to frighten him (IC he shouts over the bullets, "This is the beginning of the end, Kriegers!" but it is in Amcaran, so who knows if it means anything to them). It adds (1d8)[2] damage and he has to make a WIS save or is frightened.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

After three failed attempts trying to roll dice, I just went to bed.
    What I end up doing is writing the whole post leaving rolls as: roll]1d20+2[/roll] leaving out the initial bracket so that I can preview all I want. Just before hitting Submit I fill in all the missing brackets.

And does anyone have any good ideas for crossing the remaining minefield?
    My crazy idea is/was to use the patch to teleport to one of the machine gun nests, take it out, use the machine gun to take out the other nest, then use the machine guns to (mostly?) clear a path through the minefield. Let's call that Plan A.

Anyone who can speak Kriegspiel and who has Dimension Door on their spell list can use the scroll
    I'm guessing having the Magic Initiate feat won't cut it for that. So much for that plan unless someone else can fill both requirements. The trench warriors had that ability, impressive.

Running to the nests will take at least 7 rounds through the minefield plus two nests firing- that's plan Z.

Try out a squad ranged engagement at one of the nests using the custom rules for this game? We'll have the construct to provide some shielding. Between the LT and Sal we'll have a good chance to hit and O'Hara gives a nice damage boost. Doesn't help with the mines but at least we're not getting mowed down along the way.

I could think of a few ways the LT's spells could help.

As for ideas for crossing the minefield, feel free to spend a turn using Perception to scan the surrounds for resources, or to see how the grunts are managing it (or failing to!)
    A good idea. Xilo would be doing that next round while waiting for the rest of the squad to keep up. Already acted this round.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Interestingly, in DnD lore, Blink Dogs are traditionally a halfling's best friend indeed - their medium-sized mount for cavalry, and stalwart companion of their people. But I'm inclined to say that's a now archaic and only sporadically supported tradition; and probably not in big cities. Like horses with humans.
    Ah, at the back of my mind I thought there might be something like that but couldn't quite remember it. Let's put it down to childhood trauma then, chased by rabid stray dogs (probably from Bell's Station).

Fingers crossed the clifftop team can add something extra to help beach crew before too long.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

So, so I have a couple of plans we can try, though neither are particularly strong.

If we advance, Mold Earth can stir up the ground so to dig little trenches or foxholes to give us cover and the movement should hopefully set off any landmines there as well. This would be slow, however, giving plenty of time for them to interfere.

As an unrelated plan.

My familiar can be given a bomb and try dropping it on one of the machine-gun nests. That said if they do shoot at it while it tries that, well...

Goodnight Mr Crow. I haven't tried it yet because I figured they'd just shoot him down.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Turn resolutions and additional calamities tomorrow :)

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Later than I meant it, but I've posted!

Anyone with a passive perception of 16, or those who can make that roll, may see the additional info in the spoiler box. Everyone else has an out-of-combat turn to catch their breath and consider their options, as no additional calamities befall you this round.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Okay, is it worth me spending my inspiration on opening up the hatch so we can drop into the tunnels and try and find a path forward through there? Or are we gonna try running the mines?

Also PER: (1d20+1)[20]

OK. This might be stupid. But powerful build has got to be worth something and I don't have a better idea for going overland. Could brue and our other strong ones push the tank through the minefield?
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-12-04 at 08:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

8. - Top - End - #158

Or could Sal get the engine going? Joy ride time!

@MrAbdiel - Apart from the ammo guy, is anyone in the clifftop bunker reaching for a gun?

(1d20+5)[24] Insight or perception in case that helps.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    Or could Sal get the engine going? Joy ride time!

@MrAbdiel - Apart from the ammo guy, is anyone in the clifftop bunker reaching for a gun?

[roll0] Insight or perception in case that helps.
    Yes, I wasn't as clear as I intended to be there; they're all fumbling for their weapons!

10. - Top - End - #160

Other advantage attack roll, hopefully with better copy pasting this time.

(1d20+7)[22]

Edit: Thanks for thr speedy reply! I assumed they would be, might have risked a held action if they weren't though.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2021-12-04 at 10:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161

Perception DC16 (1d20+4)[24]

Dragging a tank through a sandy minefield??

Underground or overground... LT's call but we can make recommendations.
    We do have explosives to open the hatch but unless done carefully my collapse the tunnel.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    Perception DC16 [roll0]

Dragging a tank through a sandy minefield??

Underground or overground... LT's call but we can make recommendations.
    We do have explosives to open the hatch but unless done carefully my collapse the tunnel.
    I was going to spend my inspiration on it which reads:

You immediately disable any single trap, hazard, door or terrain feature within 30ft; or repair one as you prefer. Doing so has a 50% chance of Inspiring a random ally who witnesses your work.

I figure that would get us through without rolling.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    I was going to spend my inspiration on it which reads:

You immediately disable any single trap, hazard, door or terrain feature within 30ft; or repair one as you prefer. Doing so has a 50% chance of Inspiring a random ally who witnesses your work.

I figure that would get us through without rolling.
    Indeed it would, if you choose to go that way.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well, I'l let the LT of the Sarge make that call. Fine with trying either path though.

15. - Top - End - #165

SamuraiGuy

You took down the dwarf and had a final round to spend on his buddy. My reading of your post about using Menacing Attack suggests you'd hold on to the Superiority Dice at this point, but let me know if you want to spend it at all.
    Yeah, Wolf would have spent a superiority die on the last attack, guessing the human would not be going down from one attack. So an extra 2 damage, and Wis save (DC 15) or frightened. Thanks.

Edit: Two questions. First, is the NPC lizardman Ssassten still with us? And second, how large is the front opening in the bunker; would it be hard to push someone out?
    Last edited by Continental Op; 2021-12-05 at 09:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Continental Op View Post
    Yeah, Wolf would have spent a superiority die on the last attack, guessing the human would not be going down from one attack. So an extra 2 damage, and Wis save (DC 15) or frightened. Thanks.

Edit: Two questions. First, is the NPC lizardman Ssassten still with us? And second, how large is the front opening in the bunker; would it be hard to push someone out?
    The first question is easily answered: Yes, Pvt Ssassten (and Pvt Catchell!) are both with you, following Cpl "Wolf" Vognar's directives. Why didn't they participate in the ambush, you ask? Because I am a dumb dumb, whose head is full of tumbleweeds and whistling air.

I'm going to retroactively say that Ssassten ssnuck over to the bunker with you guys, and Catchell is remaining in the treeline to provide a second vector of ambush on the AA gun if things start sliding sideways, and K'ral pulls the ripcord. Retcons: Ssassten shoots uninjured human, putting 8 points of hurt on him with a bullet in the guts. Catchell readies an action to fire at one of the AA gunners when he hears K'ral open up. Wolf's transformation and fearsome precision leave the human ammo loader slightly more injured, and mortally afraid of him!

Second question, the opening in the front of the bunker? Pshh. Don't you know? Doesn't everyone know the dimensions of a german ww2 bunker? It's obviously (*Sounds of googling*) ...harder to find out than you'd think. I'm going the loophole, as I have always known it was called, is about a foot from top to bottom. You could shove someone out it if they weren't particularly husky and you put your back into it. If you wanted to do it as part of a grapple, I'd give them advantage, and you disadvantage, in such a shove, as long as they were reasonably able to defend themself. But it could be done!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

before I post, can we clear the rubble enough to get into the hatch at the bottom of the pillbox?
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

You can clear it enough to get access to the hatch, but the Weasel's not designed to break through that much steel. It'd require a more technical solution to breach.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll post tomorrow.

Since I never actually slotted in my bonus language from my background (woops) I figure Kreigspeak would be fitting and convenient.

Which HMG nest stopped, incidentally?

I like the idea of teleporting up. I'm not a fan of the tunnels because one good booby trap and everyone down there is prematurely inhumed.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    I'll post tomorrow.

Since I never actually slotted in my bonus language from my background (woops) I figure Kreigspeak would be fitting and convenient.

Which HMG nest stopped, incidentally?

I like the idea of teleporting up. I'm not a fan of the tunnels because one good booby trap and everyone down there is prematurely inhumed.
    Kreigspiel it is!

The HMG that stopped firing on you was the one streaming down from a bunker at the top of the wall - which, the LT does not know, has just been bushwacked by part of your Platoon!

The Dimension Door scrolls are a go-er if you wanted to port up to the enemy position and engage quickly - but remember, that spell's great limitation is that you can take yourself and one additional person.

21. - Top - End - #171

SamuraiGuy

Second question, the opening in the front of the bunker? Pshh. Don't you know? Doesn't everyone know the dimensions of a german ww2 bunker? It's obviously (*Sounds of googling*) ...harder to find out than you'd think. I'm going the loophole, as I have always known it was called, is about a foot from top to bottom. You could shove someone out it if they weren't particularly husky and you put your back into it. If you wanted to do it as part of a grapple, I'd give them advantage, and you disadvantage, in such a shove, as long as they were reasonably able to defend themself. But it could be done!
    Nice. And that makes sense, thanks. Rather than try to be the action hero and stuff someone through the one foot opening, Wolf will be expedient and just shoot them.

Edit: Wolf is not using his bonus action right now, and has the Crossbow Expert feat. But to get the bonus attack, I think he would have to draw his handgun and use that separately from the M1? So he fires the M1, then use his free interact to draw the handgun and fire it with his bonus action, in round one. Not sure where that leaves him in round two, though, since he needs both hands to use the M1. He could put the pistol back, I guess, and forgo the bonus action attack in the second round. Does this make sense, MrAbdiel?
    Last edited by Continental Op; 2021-12-07 at 08:44 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

OK. Superior officers have had their opportunity. I’m just gonna start playing tunnel rats. The initiative of impulsive privates (and we’re not even bards) has gotten us this far.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2022-05-16 at 06:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Okay! So it looks like the plan for beach-team is for Lt Bathory and Pvt Gamble are dimension dooring up to the ramp to engage with the lower (leftmost) gun nest, hopefully taking it and engaging the upper (rightmost) nest. In the meantime, the rest of the team is going to try their luck with the tunnels, hoping to discover atleast connections to the other pillboxes and take the pressure off other elements of the assault until the LT/Gamble special can machinegun a path through the mines for them. Correct me if I'm wrong! I'll resolve the plan and call for rolls tomorrow.

The scene up top is a bit more straight forward, and I'll progress that too! :)

24. - Top - End - #174

Looks like things depend on what Sal does- if he goes into the tunnel or comes back up.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I mean I’m trying to figure out how Sal reacts when he’s frightened but not of a specific Cthulhu g so much as of sheer amount of death surrounding him. I think he’s the type to do anything more active than plink at far off targets under those circumstances and so is at least gonna post grenades into the neighbouring bunkers.

26. - Top - End - #176

AssassinGuy

Is the perception check only for the people in the bunker, otherwise (1d20+9)[26]

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Continental Op View Post
    Edit: Wolf is not using his bonus action right now, and has the Crossbow Expert feat. But to get the bonus attack, I think he would have to draw his handgun and use that separately from the M1? So he fires the M1, then use his free interact to draw the handgun and fire it with his bonus action, in round one. Not sure where that leaves him in round two, though, since he needs both hands to use the M1. He could put the pistol back, I guess, and forgo the bonus action attack in the second round. Does this make sense, MrAbdiel?
    Well, you could always doubletap with the handgun, then use the handgun again with your bonus action; just keeping the rifle in the other hand. Then use interaction to put the pistol away at the end of the round. Then NEXT round you could doubletap with rifle and draw and shoot pistol again!

But as it stands, it looks like that might not be neccesary!

I have posted updates, soldiers! God have mercy on your souls!

Also, I got an ad for a Pathfinder setting called "Savage Company" which I think is basically... this game? Does anyone have experience with it? I'm interested!

Edit: Yeah, that Perception check concerns #JustBunkerThings. But with that great roll, I'll say K'ral can hear... the sounds of a jeep coming, from up north along the cliff, perhaps twenty seconds out before it rounds the curve you're using to keep your position hidden from as much of the emplaced positions as possible.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-12-09 at 09:26 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I’m already headed down the hatch. Do I need to make the reflex save?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I got the impression that Sal had just popped the hatch and called to the others, not that he’s actually descended. If you were saying he popped the hatch then went down into the dark solo, then you don’t need to make the save. If he’s just in the concrete depression of the now cleared pillbox, since there’s still hell flying, you can have advantage.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ah. That’s fair. I was intending it to be heading down but the person I was talking to was called away then I didn’t have a great idea how to continue the IC from there. Let’s say I’m crouching by the open hatch but haven’t yet headed down.

(1d20+2)[6]
    (1d20+2)[15]

Also assuming I survive, investigation to follow the trail of gnomish blood and see if it’s pooled anywhere to indicate stopping to arm or bypass a trap.

(1d20+8)[14]
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-12-09 at 10:10 AM.