New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Question Looking for fun, beautiful and relaxing settlement building game?

Heya

Currently off playing Fallout 4 survival and Total Warhammer 2, and I think I am in the mood for a more relaxing style of play at the moment.

Something without combat or threats, just a nice economy/society building game. I've looked at Foundation and it sure as heck looked interesting, but maybe there are alternative games not on my radar that the GiantMind could recommend instead?

Thanks!

- Cikomyr

edit: I was looking at the suggested Steam page and came on the following shortlist. If someone would recommend/unrecommend the following, I'd also appreciate!:

- Foundation
    - The Universim
    - Infraspace
    - The Colonists
    Last edited by Cikomyr2; 2021-11-04 at 10:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Looking for fun, beautiful and relaxing settlement building game?

Cities: Skylines, maybe? The only enemy in that is traffic!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Timberborn is a city builder as beavers

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

War For the Overlord's apparently released its "My Pet Dungeon" submode, if internet ads are to be believed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cities:Skylines for mundane modern cities and traffic simulation.

Surviving Mars for Andy Weir style almost-kinda-plausibly-realistic-if-you-squint science fiction colony building.

Neither has enemies, both are deep enough to be interesting (to me at least)
    Well that was awkward.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

thanks everyone! I did liked Surviving Mars

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Let's dig into completely different stuff:

Townscaper is surprisingly relaxing, although it only scratches the "beautiful, relaxing" part (it's basically a coloring book but with town-building). There's not too much gameplay involved.

I like also Banished, it has its charm. The graphics are not as polished as the other games, but it's really relaxing and slow-paced.

Ostriv looks pleasant.

Dwarrows is very charming if you can get beyond the limitations. It's more about exploration and the world, but it's defnitely enjoyable.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Factorio is fun, and I find it relaxing. The beauty of it isn't in "pretty trees and lakes" as the pollution inevitably ruins those, but instead in "look at all these moving parts working well together."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Factorio is fun, and I find it relaxing. The beauty of it isn't in "pretty trees and lakes" as the pollution inevitably ruins those, but instead in "look at all these moving parts working well together."
    Oh, I totally already played Factorio from end to end, thanks. And I may go back to Dyson Sphere Program eventually

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    end to end
    You know, you can go back and do it better. Every time always.

I've barely even touched circuit networks.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll give a +1 to Banished as well. Its been my go to chill game for a few months now.

For a more puzzlely chill game, there's Mini Motorways. You're building a road network to make sure drivers can get to their destinations in a timely fashion. Super minimalistic graphics, but surprisingly complex game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I've been enjoying Aven Colony. There ARE threats, but they're not active combat threats they're "There are plague spores coming, make sure you have enough hospitals" or "these things are gonna come and eat your buildings, so you need enough of this other kind of building to protect your building".
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I've been enjoying Aven Colony. There ARE threats, but they're not active combat threats they're "There are plague spores coming, make sure you have enough hospitals" or "these things are gonna come and eat your buildings, so you need enough of this other kind of building to protect your building".
    I think this may be a winner. I looked at it, and it does look pleasant and balanced. Thanks!!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Double posting to tell you again profuse thanks. The game is very relaxed and generous, yet I still have to put some degree of thought into what I am doing. It stroke the perfect balance between smart and relaxed.

The games are sufficiently short to never feel overattached to a specific settlement.

Setting up an agrarian colony in the mission with minimal mineral proved a fun challenge where I had to target right off the bat if I'd try Kelko Sludge as a substitution for mineral or just aggressively pursue the development of deep mining settlements while my miserable stockpiles dwindled away.

It feel tight, but I could breathe. Like the best pair of jeans.

15. - Top - End - #15

Double posting to tell you again profuse thanks. The game is very relaxed and generous, yet I still have to put some degree of thought into what I am doing. It stroke the perfect balance between smart and relaxed.

The games are sufficiently short to never feel overattached to a specific settlement.

Setting up an agrarian colony in the mission with minimal mineral proved a fun challenge where I had to target right off the bat if I'd try Kelko Sludge as a substitution for mineral or just aggressively pursue the development of deep mining settlements while my miserable stockpiles dwindled away.

It feel tight, but I could breathe. Like the best pair of jeans.
    Kelko sludge is the best.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Kelko sludge is the best.
    Is so slow tho

I prefer to just grow healthy amount of food and trade those for minerals

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

King of Dragon Pass and the sequel Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind offer a very unique, immersive, and roleplay heavy take on settlement games.

Kingdoms and Castles is very chill with a cute style, and the difficulty level can be easily customized to hit that sweet spot of not too easy and not too hard.

Planetbase on easy difficulty is relaxing, with a lot of opportunities for expansion and tinkering around to find the perfect formula for a colony, and I find the spacescapes simple but pretty.

Buoyancy is still under development, but you can pre-purchase and it looks good, with at least monthly updates.

I thought several Frostpunk scenarios were fun and aesthetically immersive, with a nice amount of roleplay thrown in, but the tone is definitely more harrowing/gripping than relaxing.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lacco View Post
    Let's dig into completely different stuff:

I like also Banished, it has its charm. The graphics are not as polished as the other games, but it's really relaxing and slow-paced.
    I'll second or thrid Banished. Patron may also be worth a look - I've only played a bit of the demo, but it seems to be pretty much a straight conversion with prettier graphics. The buildings I have seen all have the same names etc.
    I suspect the game play gets a bit more different when you get further in, but I haven't got far enough to tell. May be worth a look at the demo at least.

Islanders may not be exactly what you are looking for, but is fun. You are trying to get enough points to unlock the next phase of each island, & you get positive/negative points depending on the relative locations of your buildings to each other & the scenery (houses like to be near town centres & away from industry for example). Each island is pretty short, and it is isn't real time so you have time to decide your placement

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be weird here and recommend the original Stronghold, which has a nice series of Economic missions that have no or very little combat in them. I've always found them to be relaxing and fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I'll be weird here and recommend the original Stronghold, which has a nice series of Economic missions that have no or very little combat in them. I've always found them to be relaxing and fun.
    For me, the original Stronghold is the D&D town simulator from 1993.

You most likely meant the much newer medieval castle / economy simulator game that's only 1 or 2 decades old. :D

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Spoiler: by Cikomyr: For space's sake
    Show

You most likely meant the much newer medieval castle / economy simulator game that's only 1 or 2 decades old. :D
    For me, the original Medieval economy simulator will always be Knights and Merchants

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post

I was playing that last night!
    The Cranky Gamer

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"Before We Leave" I found a really nice chill settlement builder/resource management game, can't beat the peeps.

Just general puzzlebuilding I also got hooked on "Dorfromantik" sort of a hex puzzle game matching hexpieces creating a landscape.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

A few more suggestions:

Cliff Empire: a post-apocalyptic city builder where people come down from orbit to rebuild on huge artificial cliffs after climate made the surface uninhabitable. The main challenge is to get everything you need into comparatively tight space. If you like Aven Colony, you'll probably like that one too.

Imagine Earth: a colony builder where you have to colonize planets and build up those colonies. I've yet to finish the game (currently about halfway through), but I do like it.

Tropico 4: Build up your own caribbean country during the cold war era. Hilarious fun.

Endzone A World Apart: a post-apocalyptic builder where your survivors are starting to rebuild civilization. I've only tried it for a few hours, so this is a catious recommendation.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    "Before We Leave" I found a really nice chill settlement builder/resource management game, can't beat the peeps.

Just general puzzlebuilding I also got hooked on "Dorfromantik" sort of a hex puzzle game matching hexpieces creating a landscape.
    Yeah, I'll add another reccommendation for Before We Leave. It's a nice calm little agent based build-em-up with lots of fun layers.

If you like puzzlebuilders there's also Islanders, but that doesn't have the nice sense of permanence that a good city builder does, it's more puzzle focused.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I was watching a video of Banished from MATN and it looked solid but comments said the game is basically never going to get updates, and more comments said mods exploded the game with new features

Anyone here can provide a testimony of the quality of that game?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    Tropico 4: Build up your own caribbean country during the cold war era. Hilarious fun.
    All the Tropico series are worth investigating, but I agree 4 is a solid nomination for the request. There are threats of sorts, but it's more a matter of managing rather than fighting them.

(Personally I still play Tropico 1 from time to time, but the whole vibe is perhaps a bit dated for a new player...)
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was watching a video of Banished from MATN and it looked solid but comments said the game is basically never going to get updates, and more comments said mods exploded the game with new features

Anyone here can provide a testimony of the quality of that game?
    It's been a few years since I played Banished, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but what I remember is that the game became somewhat boring fairly quickly. All I did was build food production to be able to feed more villagers that would then be put to work to produce even more food. Almost every resource was essential for survival, but once you produced all of them in sufficient quantity, there wasn't much else to do. There wasn't anything to develop towards, no upgrades or unlocks and no ingame tasks to deal with.
    The game has a somewhat steep learning curve, as it is fairly demanding in the beginning, but once you learn how to survive the early game, there's not much challenge to it. There are disasters, but the usual way to get around them is "stockpile enough resources and rebuild afterwards," as you can't do much else against things like tornadoes and droughts.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Almost every resource was essential for survival, but once you produced all of them in sufficient quantity, there wasn't much else to do. There wasn't anything to develop towards, no upgrades or unlocks and no ingame tasks to deal with.
    The achievements do provide a bit of direction, 100 years of a fully educated population, various population benchmarks, ridiculously long bridges, etc. But its does lean heavily into providing more of a sandbox to make your own goals. Works great as something chill to play while watching a show or movie though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

A few more suggestions:

Cliff Empire: a post-apocalyptic city builder where people come down from orbit to rebuild on huge artificial cliffs after climate made the surface uninhabitable. The main challenge is to get everything you need into comparatively tight space. If you like Aven Colony, you'll probably like that one too.

Imagine Earth: a colony builder where you have to colonize planets and build up those colonies. I've yet to finish the game (currently about halfway through), but I do like it.

Endzone A World Apart: a post-apocalyptic builder where your survivors are starting to rebuild civilization. I've only tried it for a few hours, so this is a catious recommendation.
    Can I ask why Tropico 4 and not 5/6?