New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default PF for Savage Worlds spells? Has anyone been playing pfsw?

Hi there! I haven't played since 3e, never played PF. And only recently I got a party and a few 5e sessions, and really really suddenly landed this party in pathfinder for savage world - a system I didn't even know existed.

We've only had session 0, and I still haven't managed to finish my character sheet. First session should start in a few hours.

I've tried to play a wizard a few times, but never really got to (except a bit when DMing almost 15y ago I think?). But always wanted to.
    I tried to start by playing a warlock in 5e, and now I finally got both the courage and opportunity to go wizard.

At the beginning I thought about making a gish, but I have given up for now, and dumped str (d4). So I'm going to have to rely fully on magic for damage.

So, my question is, which spells do you think are the best/absolute must have?
    I'm having a real trouble with spells, mainly choosing and limiting them. I swear I almost got into this Pokemon got to catch them all mentality regarding spells and it's driving me insane.

I'm stuck with 18, trying to cut down to 15 and that's already hard. But I should limit them more cause that's already 5-6 lvs for spells, and might already be too much? Since I might want more levels to raise stats, skills, or try to actually go gish and get armor, battle edges etc.

So what's your go to spells, and which you noticed you didn't use much, had a shelf life, or were better as scrolls/wands etc?

I'm starting with bolt, entangle and deflection. I still have one edge left, (spent one in Jack of all trades) so I was thinking of getting more magic/powers.
    And then with leveling, get iirc channeling, more pp, and depending on when I get enough money for masterpiece armor (that d4 str) to get the arcane armor edge. (Or just, you know, get 6 str besides the armor edge)

I was thinking of boost/lower trait, idk if burst, and dispel for the second starting set. But then thought, bolt, burst, entangle.. Is it too much? And more importantly, is dispel that relevant at starting levels?

Wouldn't it be better to trade one of them with say... Summon ally? (We got two melees... and tbh a rogue that had forgotten to buy fighting skill... idk what to make out of her, only that it should be funny. Idk, but I think a meatshield would help?)
    Or perhaps detect/conceal arcana for utility? Seems more useful than dispel at lower levels, no?

One of the main problems I think I'm having right now is with the cc/debuff spells. I think I have too many on my list rn, and honestly I'm having difficulty understanding their differences/which one is worth it.

Most spells target either vigor or spirit. Only illusion targets smarts, but it only does damage at higher lv.

Confusion, stun and slumber seem good. If I got it right, confusion is no save? Stun is hold person/monster but with low duration. Slumber puts them to sleep, but finally for a good duration.

I was thinking blind might be good too, specially to help allies in melee and help against enemy casters... But it's vigor. So perhaps not in melee/just against casters.

Fear seems like a trap to me, specially with my luck/rolls.

But I should already have entangle, boost/lower trait, and will get sloth/speed. I think I may already have too much cc/debuff. How these other spells hold out against say... Just casting entangle again? (Or lower trait? Or sloth?)

Also utilities spells.. Is it okay to only get the essential? Invisibility, fly, teleport... Cause I was honestly thinking of letting divination and even enchantment for scrolls etc. Perhaps get scry even moooore so perhaps empathy? But divination, locate etc seems more like the things you use occasionally in a conundrum, when you're stuck storywise than say fly and invis.
    (I was honestly thinking of letting them + wish + plane shift for that wizard edge that lets you use a bennie to cast them)(or talk to DM, use a bennie and subtract the money to retcon and made it so you bought a scroll before the adventure - not sure how viable that is)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: PF for Savage Worlds spells? Has anyone been playing pfsw?

I have PFSW but haven't built characters for it. With that caveat, in my experience SW casters have not been direct damage dealers. You spend your power, you get one turn worth of attack and they might resist.
    Casters are more effective for buffs, utility, stuff the grunts can't do. Boost Trait doesn't sound sexy but when you Boost Strength and Fighting and your meatshield is rolling d12 instead of d8, it sounds a lot better. Need AoE damage? Warrior's Gift > Sweep might do the job. Need to help your grunts hit? Summon some allies and even if they don't hit hard, they still count for Outnumbering bonus. Depending on the DM, you might find Dark sight and Speak Language priceless.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.