New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default tomboys and troublemakers: a wfrp 2e game

after laying the professor to rest in the cemetery, you retire to the inn for a drink. the inn is bustling and the balding barkeep is hard-pressed to keep everything moving. he looks up at you four, sweat beading his brow. "can i get ye anything" he asks hurriedly, all the while pouring ale.

for wighard
    Spoiler
    Show
    there is a letter in your pocket, one you don't remember having before. do you read it?

for sir bertelis
    Spoiler
    Show
    there is an unattended young lady being hassled by a uncouth lout a couple of tables over. do you intervene?

for emil
    Spoiler
    Show
    there is a petty noble giving a long-winded opinion on how the burghers are but a "passing trend". do you do anything?

for grimgoth
    Spoiler
    Show
    there is a big brute of a man giving you "the eye". do you do anything?
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2021-11-05 at 05:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: tomboys and troublemakers: a wfrp 2e game

Grimgoth sat sullenly at the bar amongst a few of the professors other associates. Normally talkative for a dwarf but the mood of the day meant the others were free from his boasts and stories for the time being. Grimgoth was in a sour mood burying one of the few humans he truly called a friend. He ordered a stiff drink from the bartender before meeting the eyes of large brute of a man.
    What ye looking at Bozdok? he calls to the large man staring him down before draining his mug in front of him.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Emil hid an amused smirk behind his mug of ale while the noble ranted self-importantly about how burghers were no threat to the aristocracy. Sure, let the nobles think that. Let them convince themselves that the entire world was their birthright, until one day they woke up and realized all political and economic power had escaped their grasp and all they had left were some empty self-bestowed titles. Granted, Emil did not care much for the burgher class either, finding them greedy and too quick to forget about their roots, but at least they were not starting wars over matters of "honor" or demanding that people kill or die for them.

He would sure love to go pick a fight with the noble, but aside from likely landing him in trouble, it seemed a crass thing to do just after attending a dear friend's funeral.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-11-05 at 03:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Sir Bertelis is not a big ale drinker; but he chips away at a tankard of the imperial peasant libation with the stoic devotion of a man enduring a siege.

"It is, ah... Not bad. Not a bad ale. Not so good to rave about, but not so poor it offends misseur Gimgroth's tongue, ah? 'To dwarven holds, go ye for ale; to Bretonnian fields, go ye for wine; and may the emperor's schnapps sustain the interim'."

This, he states like a proverb he expects everyone to know; though his gaze does not remain on the table with his fellows long enough to learn otherwise. A young woman across the bar is engaged in an uncomfortable exchange with a couple of men; too far to hear the conversation, but her posture, folded arms, and withdrawal back into her seat while they loom casts an unsavoury shadow over the matter. "A moment."

He leaves his ale (thank the Lady), pushes off from the table, and goes to do what nobles do best - start a war over a matter of honor, possibly requiring men to die for him.

"Gentlemen," he begins, without for a moment considering the two louts gentlemen, "the lady is exasperated. You have tried your charms, and your valor is exhausted; perhaps you will fare better with another drink, on ze next venture?"

Spoiler: OOC Charm Roll:
    Show
    Might as well start with the carry, before we resort to the stick. Attempting to charm them into leaving her alone, before we graduate to more forceful measures.
    (1d100)[63] Basic Charm Threshold: 47.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

grimgoth
    the big man stands, cracking his knuckles. "think you can take me huh?" he scoffs, looking at grimgoth. "let's settle this outside" he barks, and storms out the door.

sir bertelis
    the louts do an about-face, seemingly annoyed that you interrupted them from their prey. upon seeing a brettonian knight, they quickly scurry out the door like frightened rats after the big bruiser "this aint over" one of the louts barks over his shoulder.

emil
    the noble makes a snarky comment about his "right to the peasantry" he follows it up with "i don't care if they live or die. after all they are one among many"

what do you all do?
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2021-11-05 at 03:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis is a little stunned by the sudden retreat of the reprobates, but takes it for granted. He bows a little to the woman, now spared their attentions, and asks: "With some grace, they might not bother you anymore. Are you elsewise well served?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Think. Umgi I know it. the stout dwarf said as he jumped off the barstool. Grimgoth leaves a handful of coins on the counter and slaps Emil on the shoulder as he walks towards the door Watch me drink, I'll be back soon enough..

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

When Grimgoth asks him to watch his drink, Emil finally notices the situation brewing between the dwarf and the burly man. His brow furrows. Have they already attracted trouble with the locals? He starts to rise.

"Want a witness?" he asks the dwarf. "You know, just to make sure he doesn't pull a knife in a fistfight? I can even patch you up afterwards. Not that I have doubts about your chances..."

Mostly he wants an excuse to get away from the insufferable noble's rambles.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if this disappoints anyone, but Emil isn't the sort to be easily baited into a direct confrontation with a noble, much as he hates the nobility. He's passionate about his cause but also somewhat pragmatic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

grimgoth: gimme a perception check just as you step out the door

sir bertelis: the lady looks at you with grateful eyes. "thank you good sir knight. i was wondering when a valorous man like yourself would rescue me from such uncouth barbarians"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Tragically stereotypical, Bertelis is distracted by an opportunity to display how humble he is to a pretty face. He misses the goings on with his new acquaintances; perhaps later to learn the folly of that inattention.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Gotta give him room to display some flaws to grind off over time. Bertelis will cluelessly chat up this grateful local woman, for now!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard frowns slightly, having stuff disappear from your pockets was unfortunate but often regrettably common. Having stuff appear in your pockets rarely meant anything good.

He examines the letter, but will only read it if it is already open or addressed to him (or nobody)

Watch me drink, I'll be back soon enough..

Yes to be sure he said absent-mindedly, engrossed in the letter.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

the letter is in a curious looping script. it reads as thus

to whoever may find this, may sigmar have mercy on your soul, for there are worse things in the world, and now that you have read this, they have been awoken from their slumber. head to the village of trundheim. find the proprietor of the tavern and inquire about dwarven stout. he will know what you mean. make haste, for even now, inquiries are being made, and word spreads among the dark and forbidden places of the world. beware the grey ghost!

with that the paper suddenly crumbles to ash in your hands and falls to the floor

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Come then Emil, I'm sure Mr. Surly will appreciate your services after I teach him some manners. Grimgoth scoffs as he heads out the door to the street.
    Show

PerceptionVs38 - (1d100)[44] plus any modifiers for difficulty and the like.
    Grimgoth has left his helm on the bar next to his drink but I think he is still dressed in his mail from the funeral earlier.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

grimgoth:
    the burly mans fist whizzes above your head as you step out of the establishment. "i'll get ya beardie" the man growls, fists up and circling

[ooc] cant figure out the dice roller, so i rolled d% and got a 57, which is a miss

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Hearing the large oaf's failed sucker punch sail harmlessly over his head Grimgoth's laughed Down here ye dumb fool
    He then shoved the human hard at his waist attempting to push the larger man into the street further away from the tavern door. As he does so Grimgroth punches the man in his stomach.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

"Maneover" - (1d100)[17] 1/2 action opposed WS test to move the brute 2 yards into the street following him as well. Misremembered my WS it is 62 so this is 4 degrees of success.
    "WSvs71" - (1d100)[32] 1/2 action standard attack +10% streetfighting talent hits with several degrees of success.
    "damage" - (1d10+1)[9]
    Adding flavor after knowing the rolls.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

thugs opposed ws test(1d100)[48]
    grimgoth
    with a little fancy footwork, you easily move the bruiser out to the street. you give him a good jab to the ribs that makes the breath shoot out of him. wheezing, the man maintains his stance, and circles cautiously. suddenly he lashes out with a right hook that connects with vicious force (four degrees of success)

bruiser 6/10 wounds
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2021-11-07 at 05:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The brute lashes out with a blow catching Grimgoth off guard. The fact that this ignorant brute landed a blow causes Grimgoth's dwarven fury to boil over. The dwarf leads with a quick jab with his left barely connecting but pulling the larger man's defenses to block it. With a swift headbutt Grimgoth knocks the wind out of the tall fellow. As his unhelmed head crashes into his opponent chest possibly cracking a rib or two.
    Spoiler: mechanics
    Show

Dodge reaction
    "DodgeBlowVS32" - (1d100)[68] brute connects.
    Full action = swift attack
    "Attack1vs71" - (1d100)[6] Grimgoth hits
    "Damage" - (1d10+1)[5] soaked.
    "Attack2vs71" - (1d100)[16] Grimgoth hits again HARD.
    "Damage" - (1d10+1)[11] set off Ulric's Fury rolled in OOC 3 more points for 14 total. 9 points after soak. Critical hit with critcal effect 3.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

grimgoth
    the bruiser collapses in the muck of the street, clutching his ribs. this fight's clearly over. gain 10 xp for that fight

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...8#post25261508
    this is the thread i roll dice on, he got you for 10 wounds in the torso. i trust you to deduct fairly
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2021-11-07 at 05:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Emil watches the brawl from the sidelines, ready to intervene if it appears to be escalating into a murder attempt. Thankfully Grimgoth prevails, without any weapon being drawn by either party.

"That'll teach him not to underestimate dwarfs," he says in a light tone. "Want me to look at those bruises, brother?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal vs. 53: (d100)[47]
    Fortune Point if necessary: (d100)[49]

Wounds healed on Grimgoth: (d10)[5]
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-11-07 at 05:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The dwarf looks up at EmIl. The fool punched a dwarf in his chain mail. I'm fine you might want to tend to the fool though make sure he won't die from internal bleeding.

The dwarf head back in the tavern sits down at the bar and quietly resumes drinking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Chest is 11 points of soak so no wounds lost.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis happily chats to the woman he has effortlessly rescued for a few minutes, though he has no intention to take advantage of her. But he excuses himself from her pleasant company when his eyes track Wighard back at the table, and the air of distress about him. He returns, and sits next to him; watching his face and waiting for this new companion to finish reading and, likely, to need someone to speak to. With one hand and without looking, he signals the barmaid to refill his companion’s mug.

Instinct is telling him he’ll need it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard holds up a hand at the others as they come back as a sign to keep away a bit, with a frown of concentration on his face he hurriedly but deliberately writes down the pertinent facts from what he read.

Once done he faces his companions,

Please excuse my rudeness, creepy wizard stuff. Pray be careful and do not disturb those fragments. Your ale is safe however. he passes it to the dwarf.

He focuses upon the ashes, seeing if there is any magical aura about them and in any case scoops them up as best he can. With that out of the way he gives a full explanation.

A missive appeared in my pocket, warning of dark forces that had now been awakened and something called the Grey Ghost. And that one should travel to the village of Trundheim and ask the innkeeper about Dwarvish stout.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

all of you who heard that, please give me a common knowledge at -10%

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Show

(1d100)[20] 51-10= 41

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

wighard:
    Trundheim is village a couple days travel south of this one. its close to a trade route, and also to a the fallen city of shanksbirg. it is relatively wealthy, and has the best tavern for miles around, the boars head.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"An ominous warning. But more curious than that - why seek you out in particular? A matter worth investigation, certainly." Bertelis pulls up a chair, a little back from the table now. "...And best investigated with armed companions, ah?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Well if there is magic involved, not unreasonable it would seek me out. Like you gravitate towards attractive young maidens in need of rescue.

Wighard takes a drink

Rather think you may have gotten the better choice of calling.

It could off course be a trap or a misdirection but it would be irresponsible to ignore such a dark warning and for the moment one direction is as good as another. You companionship would be greatly welcomed my friend.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

wighard
    not only do you not find anyone heading anywhere near trundheim, you also manage to upset a local bailiff, who chews you out and threatens to "have you drawn and quartered"

sir bertelis
    its 4 gc per feed bag. how many do you want?
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2021-11-10 at 12:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

**burp** Grimgoth lets out a belch after draining his mug. He looks at his hands and there's a fine purple bruise beginning to show up where his fist connected hard with the brutish big fellow. He looks over at the others. What's this trouble in Trundheim? A true dwarven stout would be worth a 3 day trip. I think I'll tag along if you'll have me.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Your company would be most welcome my friend. If there is anything to this I fear it may not be resolved without violence