New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: tomboys and troublemakers: a wfrp 2e game

after he runs himself through, there is a split second of shock in his eyes, before his death rattle

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Emil is slightly shaken to see the body at his feet and all the blood on his sword. He has been in street brawls and riots before, but this is the first time he actually takes a life.

It was either him or me, he tells himself. And the path to revolution will involve a lot of violence like that. Better get used to it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception 63 - 10 = 53. (d100)[78]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The knight charges off after the fleeing arquebusier, around the visual blind of the hillock from which they once fired. His blood is up, and there's no man alive that could outrun a horseman for long; but the man has the sense to throw his firearm down and try to veer off into the woodland, to take his chances with the beastmen. He almost makes it, too; but raising his lance to avoid striking a tree, Adelhard only has to follow him a few feet into the trees before bowling him over and crushing him underfoot.

The next the party sees of Bertelis is the knight riding back, with the bodies of the two arquebusiers bumping along on the road, tethered to the saddle to bring the corpses together in once scene.

"Thus always to brigands, ah?" He says in theoretical cheer, though there's acid plain in his tone. The blood of the gunshot wound is visible down his left side, though not a concerning geyser. "Perhaps we take a moment to string them up to ward off imitators, ah?"

He glances to Emil's bloody sword, and the second slain man by his feet, and takes a moment to give the agitator a look of pleasant surprise, and approval - which may be as much a crown of shame, as badge of honor.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-11-18 at 05:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps we take a moment to string them up to ward off imitators, ah?"

Emil shakes his head. "You're sick."

"You should've tried to take the last one alive for questioning," he grumbles, beginning with some disgust to search the pockets of the man he killed. "What if they weren't bandits? They were surprisingly well armed, and they opened fire without even asking us for our gold. I'd say there are even chances they were hired killers."

Spoiler
    Show
    Search 53: (d100)[87]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis, helm hanging from his saddle horn, gazed at Emil for an extended moment or confusion at his reply, before the good humor drains out of his expression in one swift moment of resignation.

The tension between Bertelis and Emil had been palpable since they met, but neither of them was such a boor as to pick at it during their mutual friend’s sacred sendoff. But now, back on the road no longer muted by the shroud of Morr’s grim procession, that truce is easily breached.

“Not sick.” He thumbs at the bleeding bullethole in his side, and spits back:wounded. Hired killers? For whom? You? They are thieves, who saw two horses and a chance to make ale money.” Then he looks as if he is going to let it go, wheeling his black charger away; then decides return for another pass in hopes of deeper vindication, swinging down from the saddle and advancing on Emil in rising rancor, stabbing an accusing finger out at him as he closes the gap. “You could have spared either that you were fighting, but I see you had not problem eviscerating them, ah? You call sick what is justice for hundreds of years. These men make themselves like the man-goats and greenskins! You are sick to pity them!”
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-11-19 at 04:13 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Emil does not step back an inch as the knight moves towards him. "We do what we have to do to defend ourselves," he replies, glaring. "But I won't be desecrating bodies. You want to string them up, you do it yourself. I understand why the tales of chivalry leave out that part..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Let me deal with that harquebus shot before you have a go at each other

Spoiler: If Bertelis complies
    Show

(1d100)[5] Heal 51
    (1d10)[1] Wounds Recovered

He speaks quietly as he works, pulling a few metal fragments out

One of them killed himself rather than surrender and from the expression on his face that was as much a surprise to him as it was to me

Wighard looks at Grimgoth and Emil, Would you care to search the bodies and see what can be found? At least take those two firearms they will be of some value.

Shot didn't go through, it did however break a few links and drive them into the skin when it glanced off. Painful and it will need to be kept clean lest it get infected, but not serious.

I would suggest you invest in some proper Imperial plate if you are going to be shot at by the likes of those

He cleans his tools as best he can

I would prefer not to tarry, we still have a way to go to the next inn, we do not want to be still on the road after dark and who knows what else may befall us.

If we see a Roadwarden we can report this and have them deal with it
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-11-19 at 03:45 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis is looks dissatisfied with this conclusion. His life and training have taught him to tolerate disrespect in perfect inverse proportion to how Emil dispenses it; and peeling away from this confrontation now seems like putting it off to another time with consternation between now and then to augment it.

But Bertelis grew up with many brothers, and isn't prone to the demanding his way even when he is obviously correct. So he cooperates with Wighard, grunting his way valiantly through the extraction of metal fragments in his skin. He keeps the lead ball, deformed into an oval from its shallow pass into his flesh; washes it off with some water from his waterskin, and pockets it for later. Perhaps one day, once he's had his own grail quest, it will be a talisman of value and inspiration to someone. For now, it's a reminder of... something. He resolves to fill the token with sentiment.

"Thank you, Wighard. You're a good man. I should like if I were not forced to rely on your skills much more to come, but I fear that may not be the case." He offers a pleasant smile as he resets his armor over the bound wound, and a fought grimace as he tests that side with a careful flex of his body. "I admit, when I heard the shot, and felt a sting, I thought I was in more trouble. Perhaps this mystery we pursue now will offer remuneration to the value of the vaunted imperial plate."

But he considers the odd report about the swordsman's surprise suicide, and can offer no wisdom on that front but a look of unsatisfied unease. "...A peculiar madness, to be sure. In ancient Tylos, defeated noble warriors would take their lives often enough, in the accounts. But these ragged woodsmen are more likely to be afflicted in the head, than struck with anachronistic honor fantasies."

He readies his horses to go again and, at Wighard's suggestion, forgoes his genuine desire to make a hanging example of the knaves, instead contributing to stacking the bodies once searched just off the road, where a road warden might find them when alerted.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ready to continue on, once we've searched and whatnot!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Before the Brave Bertelis returns with his quarry Grimgoth approaches the battle sight.
    Ye all made quick work of the fools. They forfeited their lives when they opened fire.
    Sensing the distress Emil is feeling the dwarf offers some water. It gets easier. It shouldn't but it does. after slapping the young man on the shoulder Grimgoth goess searching the men for any clues as to why they attacked and also any loose coin or items of value. As he is searching Bertelis returns and the Knight and Emil get into it.
    Show

"Search" - (1d100)[31] vs 28
    "Perception" - (1d100)[6] vs 38

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

I do not think I have developed the power to scare people into committing suicide rather than face me. That is not where my studies lie and I would be loath to use it if I had it. No something else was responsible.

he brightens

Don't use magic when you have medicine to do the job, and don't use your sword when words can suffice
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-11-19 at 07:02 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

you find 10 gc on the corpses. no clues as to why they attacked, but each one of them has a grey scarf tied around his upper arm

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Once they’ve done setting the bodies off the road and confiscating their firearms, swords and polearm, Bertelis takes one of the armcloths, perhaps as a trophy, perhaps to investigate the nature of this band at the next stopover. He takes a moment to try to commit their faces to memory- the ones that haven’t been too badly ruined, anyway.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Are we ready to move on, don't want to hang around here for longer than we have to

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"Indeed; there are worse things than such opportunists, if we are caught on the roads at night. On we go, then."

And, barring objection, on they go indeed.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-11-20 at 08:04 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

the rest of the journey passes without incident, and soon enough, the village of trundheim comes into view. it is a walled village, with the fallen city of shanksbirg looming in the distance. a few groups of rag-pickers give your group a healthy distance as you come into view of the walls

gimme a marching order

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Bertelis
    Wighard
    Grimgoth
    Emil

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

nothing happens as you roll up to the gate. the guards sorta look you all over, then wave you inside. the main street is mucky, and there is a general store, a few houses,and the boars head. the main street veers sharply after the boars head. wdyd?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard will shoot the breeze with the guards or if they are not inclined any local urchin, ask what's been going on recently, if there is a road-warden in town, ask about the local inns, and put the word out that there is a barber-surgeon arrived if anybody needs attention. A few clanks may come the child's way if he gets any business from this.

Show

(1d100)[100] Gossip 51

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

wighard

you spread the news, and people seem happy to know there is a barber-surgeon in town, a couple of people will stop by later to have a procedure done

what are the rest of you doing?
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2021-11-21 at 05:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis is going to see what stabling arrangements the Boar’s Head has; and he’s going to try to discover and possibly make brief introduction to whatever petty noble or burgher is the closest thing to landed lord of the village.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

the stabling is the usual price, and you do manage to get an audience with the council of burghers who run this town. its tomorrow, bright and early

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard will see if can barter one of the swords for tonight's lodging for the group

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Grimgoth is going to start his morning proper like with a breakfast of beer, cheese and bread. He will hang close to Emil keeping eyes on the young agitator.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

the barkeep, an old human with a peg leg, will happily take the sword for a night's stay. your sleep is restful, but not overly so.

Spoiler: grimgoth
    Show
    do you ask the barkeep about dwarven stout?

Spoiler: sir bertelis
    Show
    how does the meeting with the burgher council go?

Spoiler: emil
    Show
    how are you feeling after having spilled blood for the first time?

Spoiler: wighard
    Show
    you have a premonition. please describe it to your party members

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Sir Bertelis meets with the burghers, presses hands, makes some commentary about the men of the lance and men of the hammer, having deflected the storm of chaos, now having a future of brotherhood ahead of them. He does his best to charm them and not to take much of their time, as he knows the merchant class thinks poorly of that.

He mentions the ambush on the road, shows the grey armband and asks if there have been similar attacks on their roads, and finally goes so far as to offer the group’s (unsolicited) assistance if there is a matter that a few skilled travellers could take off their hands.

Spoiler: Roll!
    Show
    Fel 47 - (1d100)[44]. Bonuses may include +10 if they are “noble” enough that the Etiquette talent helps, and whatever bonuses if any you think are appropriate If they’re grateful that we whacked some bandits on their roads, and if they’re just desperate to give a difficult job to someone. Possible penalty if they hate bretonnians or nobles!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

the burghers seem happy to have a party of adventurers in trundheim, and as a matter of fact, they need someone to check on a mining site that they haven't heard from in a few days.
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2022-07-11 at 06:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    the burghers seem happy to have a party of adventures in trundheim, and as a matter of fact, they need someone to check on a mining site that they haven't heard from in a few days.
    Bertelis gets the location, pertinent details, and attempts to secure an agreed fee - perhaps, a trifling ten gold crowns if it turns out to be nothing dangerous, and up to a hundred if it’s something dangerous and they bring back proof of having managed it. After that, he assures the burghers they’ll look into it at their earliest opportunity, and takes his leave to the Boar’s Head.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

they will agree to that fee. nobody bothers you as you walk into the boars head

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard sees a grey fog formed from trendrils of Ulgu snake through the taproom slowly obscuring the features of those within until all that is left open is the circle of clear air in the which the party of 4 sits.

The Ulgu circles them like a small and slow tornado, whisps getting closer and closer.

He strives with all his mental fortitude to force it back, sweating and straining until there is a bright white flash of Hysh and the fog clears.

Only to reveal everyone in the taproom slain by their own hand.

The vision fades and those watching see him pale and sweating over his breakfast

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

As Wighard's senses return to the land of the living, Bertelis drops his plate of breakfast sausage and bread onto the table with a loud clunk.

"Good news - I've spoken to the town council, and secured us paying work. A mine in the town's catchment has gone silent; a worthy opportunity to do some good for the miners in whatever manner of trouble they are in, and to be paid twice for the labor of travelling to this town." He bites into a breakfast sausage, but allows his jovial manner to fade a little as he notices Wighard's deflated countenance. Mouth full, the knight makes a loose circular gesture at the physician with his fork, as if to ask in the most abstract way possible if he is unwell.