New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: tomboys and troublemakers: a wfrp 2e game

You wish to delve deeper? Our mission was to find out what happened to the miners. If we fail to return then others, perhaps less qualified, will need to be sent and the town will remain in danger through ignorance of the threat they face.

Bertelis removes his helmet for a moment, and looks himself over. "They did not catch me, this time. The Lady smiles on our bravery. As for venturing deeper... Well. It is not so easy to say what is right, ah? It is a gamble. If we descend, we may save innocent men's lives - and, perhaps, secure a greater reward. If we return, we can steward Siobhan to safety, certainly - but we would be leaving any possible survivors to an additional number of nights while the town scrounges up a sufficient militia to make the descent anyway. My instinct is to take the risk, trust the gods, and see if we cannot save some of these tragically beset workers. It does... not sit well with me to turn back without knowing we can do no more good here. But I will hear the wisdom of our other companions, certainly."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

They weren't so tough. Grimgoth says looking at the pair of detached heads. Just go for the head. I'm for seeing if we can't stop some decent folk from becoming food. That may be foolish but I think pulling back now out of fear is not something that would sit well on my mind. If we go forward I'll keep a better eye out for danger.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

as you push forward, the smell of rot and death assaults your nostrils. as you round the corner, an altar of meat has been set up ahead. there's nobody here but ill need a will test at -20 to do anything but puke.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    WP test versus 21: (d100)[14]

Emil felt his stomach lurch, but managed to keep it under control. "Is that, uh, human flesh, you think?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2022-01-31 at 03:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

WPvs39 - (1d100)[37]
    Grimgoth wrinkles his nose at the stench of decay.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis steps to the side, setting down his sword and pulling off his helmet quickly as the smell assaults him…

Spoiler: Brarf roll…
    Show
    Vs29 - (1d100)[71]

...and wretches up a few stringy mouthfuls of breakfast, and watery bile. It's not particularly dignified, but he manages not to get it on himself. Steadying himself, he produces his waterskin to rinse his mouth and spit, before glancing over toward the altar with revulsion.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-01-31 at 04:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard looks at the altar and projects a dispassionate professionalism that he doesn't entirely feel, but on the other hand part of his training involved being the guy who had to empty the bucket of amputated limbs after it fills up and its sometimes since been him the one filling the bucket after a bloody battle.

Well, that's a new one he advances cautiously but does not touch it trying to identify what species it is from, how long its been there and the skill with which it was butchered

"Is that, uh, human flesh, you think?"

Think carefully if you really want an answer to that question

Mundane investigation over he will make a quick magical check on the area to see the altar gives anything off

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[50] Heal 61 (As Forensic Pathology is not on the skill list)

(1d100)[92] Magical Sense 57

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

the altar was constructed with great skill. the flensed flesh seems to wiggle and burble invitingly as you look at it. as you begin to scan it, your mind erupts in searing pain. take 1d5 wounds unreducable by toughness or armor

(1d5)[3]

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard staggers to the wall and slumps down to the floor clutching his head and trying not to look at that, thing.

He just about chokes back a scream but is clearly in great pain

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Right we burn it then and leave quickly. But not in that order. He lights a torch but waits for the others to get back on the feet and started down past the corner before throwing the torch unto the meat altar.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Recovering from his stomach's rebellion, Bertelis regains himself after a few tottering steps and crosses to Wighard; standing near enough to him to provide the shadow of allies, in a painful moment. His eyes, however, scan the rest of the room. "...Is it possible there were... only these two? That these two.. mutant creatures caused such awful mayhem? Still.. we need oil, for the altar. A mine like this must surely have lamp oils, somewhere - probably stored in the mine itself, so the miners need not retreat to the surface to replenish their light."
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-02-01 at 08:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard scrambles to his feet and starts running back up the tunnel

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

wighard:

as you scramble out into daylight siobhan looks at you "back so soon?" she says, wandering over and putting a hand on your arm

the rest of you:

the room you're in has a small trapdoor in the floor about ten feet from the altar.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

“Strange place for a trapdoor. What kind of mine would force its workers to climb a ladder with an armful of ore? Perhaps supply in there, ah?”

Grimacing at the smell and trying not to look at the altar, Bertelis replaces his helmet then crosses over to inspect the suspicious trapdoor. He’ll open it, if it’s not emiting weird sounds.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-02-03 at 02:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard collapses, totally out of breath, onto a pile of leaves and does not speak for some time, slowly some colour comes back to his face and he rolls over to face Siobhan I...I could not stay down there, I am sorry

Caw!

A larger than usual raven regards them from a low branch opposite

Caw! Caw!

A flock of other ravens settles to the trees around them and looks at them

Show
    Technically a flock of Ravens is an Unkindness

I doubt that this usage is encouraged in the Old World

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Grimgoth looks around at the others.
    Perhaps this side entrance meets up with the main mine shafts down through this door?Do we want to go through the door or leave and enter through the main mine shaft? Either way once the rest of you leave I'm taking down that altar. Grimgoth firmly grips his axe with both hands as he says the last part.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

the party in the mines: the trapdoor leads down into what could be considered a large storeroom. boxes and bags of mining gear lie strewn haphazardly around the walls and a wall sconce holds a guttering lantern that just barely illuminates the room and the bashed down door leading deeper into the mines. a body, claw marks rending it horrifically, spasms in the corner, coughing up wet bits of lung and bloody chunks

wighard:

siobhan looks at the ravens, then looks at you. "rest now" she murmurs, and closes your eyes.

Spoiler: wighard
    Show
    please describe the dream that puts you in contact with an agent of the shroud

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis' eyes go wide as he peers into the trap door. "Wighard!" He hisses, a fruitless sound that dares not be loud enough to attract other creatures, and therefore cannot reach the physician, way up the mine's shaft by now. Then, to Emil and Grimgoth: "Man alive!", and drops into the storeroom, rushing, helpless and untrained, to the perishing man's side. "Hold on, man; hold on a little longer. Morr need not embrace you just now."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

sir bertelis

the man gurgles "take the eye in my belt pouch" another round of hacking coughs ensue and he stubbornly clings to life, only to say "it may prove useful in the journey ahead." with that his head lolls to the side and his death rattle sounds.

grimgoth:

the altar burns with the sickening stench of charring meat and a few screeches sound somewhere deeper in the mine
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2022-02-06 at 11:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

"Take the eye in my belt pouch. It may prove useful in the journey ahead."

"The...... eye?" echoed Emil, fervently hoping he did not mean a literal eye but a trinket in the shape of one.

He rummaged carefully in the man's pouch.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I love how the man talks like a video game character.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Grimgoth uses his axe on the charring meat altar smashing through the blackened flesh before heading down to join the others.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

you find a finely crafted bejeweled eye with a small winding mechanism in the side. he has nothing else of value. if you wanna search the room gimme perception or search
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2022-02-07 at 11:22 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

A white dove, a large owl and a great eagle alight next to the first raven. A hawk with prey grasps a nearby branch and begins tearing its catch to pieces, with an arrogant disregard for the hostile looks from the other birds*.

The Winds of Magic flow around the birds, some of them coalescing around specific birds, purple Shyish shrouds the Raven, red Aqshy the Hawk, yellow Chamon around the Owl, blue Azyr arcs between the Raven and the Owl and most spectacularly white Hysh glows around the Dove.

The Dove looks directly at Wighard You have served me and my sister well

Clearing up the bloody work of our uncle adds the Eagle, glaring at the hawk who merely sneers** and goes back to tearing up its meal

However, our father is in need of your services now, so we lend you to him for a time.

The Dove's glow fades, as the purple around the raven begins to reach out and fill Wighard's vision, blocking all else out.

Wighard awakes with a start, the raven is still there, but the other birds are not.

The emptied skin of a freshly killed rabbit falls into the leaves below where the Hawk had been perched

Show
    *Wighard can't read bird body language either, but its a dream so some things you just know

** Same about birds sneering and glaring
    Last edited by wilphe; 2022-02-08 at 03:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

"Now that is... an odd thing," muttered Emil, peering closely at the mechanical device. "Wonder who made it. Looks like the sort of trinket they'd make in Nuln. Think we should try winding it?"

He was half expecting it to be something dangerous.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    if you wanna search the room gimme perception or search
    Perception 63: (d100)[41]
    Fortune Point if needed: (d100)[47]
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2022-02-08 at 03:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Emil finds a good-quality dwarven mattock tucked into an alcove. the mattock has a handle inlaid with silver filigree and the grips seem good. rooting around in the storeroom, Emil also finds a pair of archaic sets of coin mail vests, one in significantly better condition then the other.
    Spoiler
    Show
    coin mail vests is basically chain mail shirts at 1.5x weight

wighard, a cold wind starts to blow and a few leaves fall off the nearest tree. a long drawn-out sigh seems to echo off the forest surrounding you, and siobhan shudders "we probably should get moving" she chirps with forced cheer

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Grimgoth takes the dwarven mattock from Emil turning it over in his hands. This is well made. Someone paid a good deal of coin for it. Shall we go deeper or check on our companion?

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis grimaces at the door leading deeper into the mine, then trades his glance down toward the body on the floor. “…Justice bids our descent; but compassion belongs first to those to whom we are first bound. We ought to speak with Wighard. If he is hale and willing, we might go further. But our obligation to him, as comrade, changes the weights of our options.”

He puts away his sword and shield, and enlists his companion’s help in getting the body of the fallen man up from the storeroom. His reasoning seems obvious - better to be burned in honor beneath the sun than devoured or mashed into a blasphemous altar down here.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Grimgoth nods at Bertelis's words. Once we get him up the trap door I'll carry the body. the dwarf says looking back up from where they came. Emil carry those shirts, I'll carry this mattock. At least we found some things of worth.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Uncertain exactly what has happened, Wighard picks up the rabbit pelt and puts it in a pocket

I cannot leave without my companions

With a new resolve he descends into the mine for a second time

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

the party reconvenes about halfway up the mineshaft. you can hear the wind start to whip outside, as small leaves and sticks go zooming by the entrance. it seems abundantly clear that you should skedaddle before you're stuck in here with whatever horrors lie deeper in the mine. wdyd?