New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eternals, the movie that doesn't end

I saw the movie yesterday on Disney+. Overall, I did like it; I liked that it did try to do something different from previous Marvel movies. I enjoyed several of the characters, with Gilgamesh and Thena being my favorites. I especially liked how both Sersi and Phastos were up-front with their (potential) loved ones when the time came and didn't waste time on the tired old "pretend to be normal and keep our identity secret" thing. The visuals were beautiful.

Spoiler
    Show
    The conflict within the group and the spilt into two opposing factions was, to me at least, much more believable than in Civil War. But then, Civil War is a whole rant for me, so lets not get into that...

I did have a few issues, though:

A lot of the movie was terribly dark; it was hard to make stuff out because you could barely see what was going on in many scenes.

Spoiler
    Show

Someone please hand the film makers a map of the Americas. Tenochtitlan (=Mexico City) is nowhere near the Amazon. Druig claiming his cult in the Amazon is where they all lived together last when we see where they split up betrays a serious lack of understanding of geography.

After getting Marvel Pokemon in Shang-Chi (including a box-art Pokemon showdown at the end of the movie), we now get Marvel Zerg in the form of the deviants. Including a figure that could have been their Kerrigan. Unfortunately, the potential was squandered. Kro could have been an interesting character with a legitimate grievance against the Eternals and the Celestials. The movie talks a lot about genocide, but completely ignores how this also applies to what has been done to the deviants. And the only potential champion for their cause gets finished off rather quickly in the end. This would have been such a great angle to explore in a potential sequel.

"We need to wipe out a whole planet because billions might potentially not be born if we don't" is a terrible argument. Especially since we're talking about Celestials, who seem to be functionally immortal. They don't really need new Celestials if the old ones can just keep creating suns. Of course, "humans are special" isn't a great rebuttal. You're basically saying every other species we see (Kree, Scrull, whatever Gamorra is, the list goes on) is fair game to wipe out, just not humans. That's actually somewhat racist (looking at you, Ajak). Of course in the end, they're on their way to stop Eternals on other worlds, so the survivors at least understood that hypocrisy.

Also, "Ikaris is strongest, he should lead us". What the heck, Kingo? You've seen 7000 years of human history and you still think strength equals leadership? Those who don't learn from history, as the saying goes...

What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

Some of my friends were talking about this the other day and I was like "dang it do not spoil it for me!". I haven;t watched this movie and I had waited for it for long time but then when it was finally here I was sick (bummer)... and now, after listening and reading here all of this, my excitement has gone down... I am just happy I will be watching it streaming at home in the cheapest option possible haha

3. - Top - End - #123
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm just happy that, now that it's hit D+, the meme-makers are out in force

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

I would watch a show about Kingo and his Bollywood adventures with his assistant. What can you do if your only superpower is blasting stuff with lasers? Have fabulous song and dance routines! (Plus show audiences a new culture.)

Phaistos also "grew up" and has a partner and family, so that could be an interesting story.

Everyone else was pretty forgettable.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olffandad View Post
    I would watch a show about Kingo and his Bollywood adventures with his assistant. What can you do if your only superpower is blasting stuff with lasers? Have fabulous song and dance routines! (Plus show audiences a new culture.)

Phaistos also "grew up" and has a partner and family, so that could be an interesting story.
    I'd also be down for the adventures of Gilgamesh in Babylonian times.

Maybe do a slightly longer series (10-12 episodes) where the first episode setups up what the eternals are, and then each episode explores who each of the eternals are, and their relationships with one another. And then the last episode or 2 could be setup for a movie.

Overall I did enjoy the movie, but my entire family was making fun of the "oooh look its another shot of someone brooding" by the middle of the movie. Could've easily turned it into a drinking game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sular View Post
    I haven't saw the movie yet and doubt whether I should do it or not. Can someone tell me about it but without spoilers?
    Important People you've never heard of stand on a beach and argue for seven hours and thirty-six minutes.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I haven't saw the movie yet and doubt whether I should do it or not. Can someone tell me about it but without spoilers?
    It's as much a mood piece as a story. I recommend watching the official teaser; if you want two and a half hours of that, that's the movie.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

A group of immortal beings with various superpowers have lived on earth since 5000 BC, instructed by a cosmic godlike being to only fight a specific type of monster that sometimes invades the planet. They go into hiding for a long time and regroup in present day because those monsters are back again, and stronger this time. There are interpersonal dramas and shocking revelations.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

An oversized, unwieldy “team” whose members spend most of the movie scattered all over the world, and who have long moody silences and soulful breakups in between brief action scenes with uninspired CGI monsters.

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    An oversized, unwieldy “team” whose members spend most of the movie scattered all over the world, and who have long moody silences and soulful breakups in between brief action scenes with uninspired CGI monsters.
    I thought he asked about Eternals, not The Justice League
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Chloe Zhao cited Zack Snyder as one of her major influences, and the resemblance is certainly there.

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    I thought he asked about Eternals, not The Justice League
    Nah, there were like 5 people in the Justice League. Even the first Avengers has more people than that.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Nah, there were like 5 people in the Justice League. Even the first Avengers has more people than that.
    Yeah, but Avengers had movies setting several of those characters up.

And a lot less brooding.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground