Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Eternals, the movie that doesn't end

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    For me this would almost be worse, since I love the Antikythera mechanism and all that it says about human potential.

But overall I agree that the plow is a uniquely poor choice of “gift,” given that it likely arose independently at the same time in China, and probably elsewhere in the world as well. If they really have to give a "gift," then the Archimedes screw is at least a slightly more involved concept to offer.
    I understand that, it was just my best attempt to keep that beat. Though frankly, I'd prefer to cut it altogether. They're already aliens here to save humanity from monsters we can't possibly fight ourselves. They don't need to also be responsible for basic (or complicated!) human inventions. They're plenty cool. Just have Fastos be their tech and show him repairing it and improving it...
    Last edited by ecarden; 2021-11-06 at 12:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I hear you, and agreed.

Between the large cast and the highly convoluted background, I feel like introducing this slice of the comics would have worked better in a Disney+ series.

A couple of people have already commented how long the movie is, and yet it still doesn’t seem to have enough space to do full justice to all of its themes and characters. Spreading that out over half a dozen episodes would have given them at least twice the overall runtime, and that might have given them more opportunity to balance action, backstory and character growth in each episode.

Presumably that would have been far more expensive, given some of the names involved, but it would have almost certainly given a deeper and better-developed product. With everything I’m reading, both here and elsewhere, it just sounds too jumbled to really work for most people.

3. - Top - End - #33

ClericGuy

I hear you, and agreed.

Between the large cast and the highly convoluted background, I feel like introducing this slice of the comics would have worked better in a Disney+ series.

A couple of people have already commented how long the movie is, and yet it still doesn’t seem to have enough space to do full justice to all of its themes and characters. Spreading that out over half a dozen episodes would have given them at least twice the overall runtime, and that might have given them more opportunity to balance action, backstory and character growth in each episode.

Presumably that would have been far more expensive, given some of the names involved, but it would have almost certainly given a deeper and better-developed product. With everything I’m reading, both here and elsewhere, it just sounds too jumbled to really work for most people.
    It would certainly have given some of the relationships more time to breathe so some of the tragedy landed more. Also, it might have allowed some human characters who actually did things besides being mind controlled, or cheering the eternals victories, or being adorable little pets/love interests.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Spamalot in the Playground

Humans are definitely special in Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by ecarden View Post
    Spoiler: The Celestials are incompetent...
    Show
    Okay, so the Celestial leader can just grab them at any time. We see that at the end. So, uh, why doesn't he? There is no chance that the deviants can prevent the emergence. It is happening in seven days, but something is killing off your defenders and stealing their powers...so, remove the defenders? Or have some sort of remote shutdown? I mean, he has to know that his beacon was destroyed, right? Why not gather them up at that point?

More generally, I can buy that this is the team which has to exist because they've tested all the options. Maybe Sprite's creepy obsession with Icarus is necessary to properly motivate her and Druig's mind control powers are needed to keep sentient life safe and the speedster needs to be deaf because sometimes Deviants develop sonic attacks or something.

However, having lost total control of one creation, their solution was 'make another one and put no controls on it.' And that's without getting into the 'created the deviants and apparently placed them on every creche planet ever simultaneously (or continued to place them, then dump Eternals on afterward? Unclear). It's like the writers forgot the scale of the movie. They've been on earth for 7000 years, but have been doing this for millions, so uh, why are there Deviants here at all? They aren't a natural byproduct of the celestial's presence or anything, they're a created race which was placed to eliminate the non-sentient predators...

Uh, and if you're grabbing people, why not the three who are on the ship you gave them? Grab them all!
    It's an interesting question.
    Spoiler: Arishem
    Show
    It might be that, just like humanity impressed Ajak by stopping Thanos, the Eternals impressed Arishem by stopping Tiamut. He probably saw the Emergence as inevitable, until they prevented it, which forced him to revise all his calculations. I view it kind of like completing the Crucible in Mass Effect 3 or Neo reaching the Source in the Matrix - it's an event of such technological achievement that it forces the Super AI to throw out its old programming and be open to new ideas.

Spoiler: Absence of other players...
    Show
    Uh...yeah...I got nothing.
    I do!
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's worth pointing out exactly how many of Marvel's heroes are concentrated not just in the US, but in NYC specifically. Stan and Steve wrote what they knew

This film meanwhile jumped all over, from the UK to Australia to South Dakota to wherever the hell Tiamut was emerging. Sometimes "Avengers Assemble" is just not feasible for every threat, even a global one.

Finally, I will repeat my comment from Dune. If movies want to be this long, then theaters need to start including an intermission.
    I seem to remember they used to, come to think of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #35

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Spoiler: Arishem
    Show
    It might be that, just like humanity impressed Ajak by stopping Thanos, the Eternals impressed Arishem by stopping Tiamut. He probably saw the Emergence as inevitable, until they prevented it, which forced him to revise all his calculations. I view it kind of like completing the Crucible in Mass Effect 3 or Neo reaching the Source in the Matrix - it's an event of such technological achievement that it forces the Super AI to throw out its old programming and be open to new ideas.
    That might work for the
    Spoiler: reasoning
    Show
    Why he didn't grab everything or shut it down when the beacon was broken. But why only grab the three left on earth. Sprite I give a pass to as he very nature was changed, but the others, they're just on the space ship he gave them. Distance appears to be totally irrelevant to him, why isn't he grabbing them?

Spoiler
    Show
    It's worth pointing out exactly how many of Marvel's heroes are concentrated not just in the US, but in NYC specifically. Stan and Steve wrote what they knew

This film meanwhile jumped all over, from the UK to Australia to South Dakota to wherever the hell Tiamut was emerging. Sometimes "Avengers Assemble" is just not feasible for every threat, even a global one.
    Right, but
    Spoiler: the problem.
    Show
    I agree, that none of our heroes (or governments! Or anyone!) apparently lives in the area where the emergence is happening and apparently, despite them being very visible and making almost no effort to hide (such that a child recognizes Icarus from television) somehow no one ever approaches them, but as the giant monster starts ripping its way out of the earth in the area that ought to be the epicenter of world-wide earthquakes...no one notices and shows up?

No War Machine? No Wakandans? No whatever has replaced SHIELD (SWORD? Unclear if that still exists after Wandavision)? They probably couldn't do anything as no one but the Eternals could, but their absence is pretty hard to buy from a narrative standpoint. They definitely ought to be able to track that there's a problem and where it appears to be coming from and at least show up. I understand they didn't want to shell out a bunch of money for a glorified cameo, especially in a movie that's already very long and very full, but it bugs me.

I mean, in the end I think it boils down to, I don't really like the white savior trope even if you sub in aliens for white people.

6. - Top - End - #36

That might work for the
    Spoiler: reasoning
    Show
    Why he didn't grab everything or shut it down when the beacon was broken. But why only grab the three left on earth. Sprite I give a pass to as he very nature was changed, but the others, they're just on the space ship he gave them. Distance appears to be totally irrelevant to him, why isn't he grabbing them?
    There's honestly a lot of potential explanations, but they al boil down to "How was Arishem programmed?" Which is the driving question behind explaining any seemingly odd super-AI behavior.

For example:

Spoiler
    Show
    - Can he only watch/manifest at Earth until the Tiamut situation is fully resolved?
    - Does he care mostly about Sersi (because Prime Eternal / instigator) and just happened to grab the other two who were in the vicinity with her, and doesn't actually care about the ones in space?
    - Does he care about the ones in space but can't locate them because space is big?
    - Is he looking into the future and giving the others a chance to stop whatever he's about to do, as another test?
    - Was he getting highly specific orders from an even higher being to "grab all the Eternals remaining on Earth for punishment" and executed those to the letter?

I could go on but again, the bold question sums it up.

Right, but
    Spoiler: the problem.
    Show
    I agree, that none of our heroes (or governments! Or anyone!) apparently lives in the area where the emergence is happening and apparently, despite them being very visible and making almost no effort to hide (such that a child recognizes Icarus from television) somehow no one ever approaches them, but as the giant monster starts ripping its way out of the earth in the area that ought to be the epicenter of world-wide earthquakes...no one notices and shows up?

No War Machine? No Wakandans? No whatever has replaced SHIELD (SWORD? Unclear if that still exists after Wandavision)? They probably couldn't do anything as no one but the Eternals could, but their absence is pretty hard to buy from a narrative standpoint. They definitely ought to be able to track that there's a problem and where it appears to be coming from and at least show up. I understand they didn't want to shell out a bunch of money for a glorified cameo, especially in a movie that's already very long and very full, but it bugs me.
    Well,
    Spoiler
    Show
    the post credits scene has ONE of them - or at least someone adjacent to them - being approached.

But the rest, again, were constantly on the move so I don't see how they could have been. Except maybe by Wong/Strange who appear to be busy.

We also don't know exactly when these events occurred, save "after Endgame."

Speaking of Ikaris on TV:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Superman existing in the MCU (as a fictional character) was a pretty funny reveal. Cap likely read those comics then.

I mean, in the end I think it boils down to, I don't really like the white savior trope even if you sub in aliens for white people.
    *snipped*
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-11-06 at 11:34 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #37

ClericGuy

There's honestly a lot of potential explanations, but they al boil down to "How was Arishem programmed?" Which is the driving question behind explaining any seemingly odd super-AI behavior.
    Maybe I missed something, or its comics canon, but I'm not sure where you're getting Arishem is programmed or a super-AI.

quote snipped above, so I snip below

We're drifting towards a topic that's going to cause moderator issues, so I'll mostly leave it at my initial comment and only add on that 'as a human' I don't find the 'humans are helpless little creatures which need to be protected' to be a terribly interesting storyline.
    Last edited by ecarden; 2021-11-06 at 11:55 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Point, redacted.

Maybe I missed something, or its comics canon, but I'm not sure where you're getting Arishem is programmed or a super-AI.
    They aren't "AI" as we might consider something like Jarvis. But they are following a rigid set of programming (save the ones that go rogue like Ego) so I find it useful shorthand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Locate suitable planet, seed planet with baby Celestial, use Eternals and Deviants to guide evolution of local life, harvest planet once civilization reaches X level of energy development, repeat.

A good analogy would be the Titans from World of Warcraft, right down to the seed stuff.

As a human' I don't find the 'humans are helpless little creatures which need to be protected' to be a terribly interesting storyline.
    If you're not a fan of the "ancient aliens" hypothesis, well, you're in for a bumpy ride because Jack Kirby most definitely was, and pretty much the entire MCU is based on it.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-11-06 at 11:38 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Eternals
    Show
    Well first off. I enjoy the movie Eternals. What I like about Eternals is that the movie was very diverse and inclusive which includes a deaf superhero and an LGBT superhero. There wasn't anything that I dislike about this movie. The movie was wonderful. Great storyline and I really can't wait for a sequel. I'll give Eternals a perfect 10 out of 10 stars.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I seem to remember they used to, come to think of it.
    As I recall, that used to be between the A movie and the B movie, not in the middle of the actual film. And it was generally an ad break (To my generation I only have to say "Pearl and Dean"...).
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

11. - Top - End - #41

ClericGuy

They aren't "AI" as we might consider something like Jarvis. But they are following a rigid set of programming (save the ones that go rogue like Ego) so I find it useful shorthand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Locate suitable planet, seed planet with baby Celestial, use Eternals and Deviants to guide evolution of local life, harvest planet once civilization reaches X level of energy development, repeat.
    I guess its not clear to me that's all they do? I mean, from the perspective of the anthill outside my door, I probably seem very rigidly programmed. I walk past on a fairly set schedule and always in the same basic pattern, but that's an accident of perspective, not anything else.

If you're not a fan of the "ancient aliens" hypothesis, well, you're in for a bumpy ride because Jack Kirby most definitely was, and pretty much the entire MCU is based on it.
    Yeah...if the MCU continues in that direction I'm likely to either be a lot more selective in which of the MCU films I go to, or just cut back altogether as I really dislike that trope and the further away from the person on the ground the less I care.

12. - Top - End - #42

I guess its not clear to me that's all they do? I mean, from the perspective of the anthill outside my door, I probably seem very rigidly programmed. I walk past on a fairly set schedule and always in the same basic pattern, but that's an accident of perspective, not anything else.
    If the
    Spoiler
    Show
    millions of planets following the same cycle claim is accurate, and the memory archive certainly backs that up,
    then yes, I'd say it's programming.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #43

ClericGuy

If the
    Spoiler
    Show
    millions of planets following the same cycle claim is accurate, and the memory archive certainly backs that up,
    then yes, I'd say it's programming.
    I guess I view that argument as the same as
    Spoiler: spoiler
    Show
    the fact that billions of people have reproduced is proof we're all just following programming (which is arguably true at a very high level).

And that's without getting into Ego, though I'm unclear on whether or not Ego is actually intended to a Celestial like these or is something else that also goes by the name of Celestial.
    Last edited by ecarden; 2021-11-06 at 12:19 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would assume the Eternals just took the forms of random human adults to better fit in with the population, hence why they are so racially diverse. IMO sprite's age isn't really that much of an outlier as mid-teens would be considered an adult for most of human history, and the rest of them range from late 20s to mid fifties. Honestly, the weirdest part for me is that none of them are in their late teens / early twenties, their physical peaks and what most of the population consisted of throughout history before modern medicine.

And that's without getting into Ego, though I'm unclear on whether or not Ego is actually intended to a Celestial like these or is something else that also goes by the name of Celestial.
    I assume Ego will just be a "our concept drifted over the years between the films, don't think about it too hard." Which is really kind of a shame, because I think there is still an interesting story to tell about why a Celestial emerged alone and came to the conclusion that he was the only one in the universe.

A good analogy would be the Titans from World of Warcraft, right down to the seed stuff.
    They are pretty much exactly Titans from Warcraft. Even down to the leaving their seeded planets in the care of super powerful constructs who take the form of misspelled figures from human mythology.

I wonder if that is just a coincidence of if someone in the MCU actively decided to go in the WoW direction.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

15. - Top - End - #45

I guess I view that argument as the same as
    Show
    the fact that billions of people have reproduced is proof we're all just following programming (which is arguably true at a very high level).

That gets into questions of who programmed us that are beyond the scope of this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    I wonder if that is just a coincidence of if someone in the MCU actively decided to go in the WoW direction.
    Uh other way around Eternals predates WoW by like 30 years.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #46

ClericGuy

I would assume the Eternals just took the forms of random human adults to better fit in with the population, hence why they are so racially diverse. IMO sprite's age isn't really that much of an outlier as mid-teens would be considered an adult for most of human history, and the rest of them range from late 20s to mid fifties. Honestly, the weirdest part for me is that none of them are in their late teens / early twenties, their physical peaks and what most of the population consisted of throughout history before modern medicine.
    Based on what we see, I don't think so.
    Show
    Or at least, their forms are given to them by Arishem as best I could tell. He may have chosen randomly. I assume (though the bit with a bunch of half-constructed Circe's pushes against this) that eternals on other worlds look like the local inhabitants, so just picking a random set of local appearances would be reasonable.

Sprite's age is...unclear. The actress is 16 now and the filming was over the last two years, so I assume they were going for 13-15? Which honestly makes the 'no one will treat me seriously' thing a bit of an anachronism, especially when ported back millennia ago. Personally I wished they'd just gone with the 'she can't stay places nearly as long as the others as her unaging nature is a lot more obvious' rather than inject the moderately squicky (to my modern sensibility) of her crush on Icarus.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by ecarden
    Yeah...if the MCU continues in that direction I'm likely to either be a lot more selective in which of the MCU films I go to, or just cut back altogether as I really dislike that trope and the further away from the person on the ground the less I care.
    Very much agreed. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. dabbled in that, in order to explain the presence of mutants Inhumans in their version of the MCU.

It was poorly done and very messy, which is probably why it’s never been referenced again. It would be unfortunate for the main MCU to get too deeply into that.

Originally Posted by ecarden
    Spoiler: Sprite
    Show
    Sprite's age is...unclear. The actress is 16 now and the filming was over the last two years, so I assume they were going for 13-15? Which honestly makes the 'no one will treat me seriously' thing a bit of an anachronism, especially when ported back millennia ago.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sprite would be treated even less seriously in tribes dominated by Neolithic warriors, so she remains an extremely odd choice in terms of design. Unless there’s something in her original source genome that made her an ideal candidate, I’m just not seeing the rationale.

18. - Top - End - #48

Uh other way around Eternals predates WoW by like 30 years.
    Yeah, but the idea of Celestials being born from planets doesn't.

Looking it up, it seems that it originally comes from the Earth-X books in the 90s and was then brought into the main marvel universe in the early 2010s, about the same time the idea started being explored in WoW.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

19. - Top - End - #49

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Sprite would be treated even less seriously in tribes dominated by Neolithic warriors, so she remains an extremely odd choice in terms of design. Unless there’s something in her original source genome that made her an ideal candidate, I’m just not seeing the rationale.
    Spoiler: I was being too delicate
    Show
    Her concern seemed to be that no one would treat her like an adult/potential romantic partner, which doesn't seem historically accurate. More generally, as far as I could tell, there weren't original source genomes, they seem to be artificially constructed at the World Forge prior to the evolution of homo sapiens.
    Last edited by ecarden; 2021-11-06 at 01:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, gotcha.

As far as source genomes, my bad. But it does add one more layer of confusion to what sounds like a highly muddled film.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

quote snipped above, so I snip below

We're drifting towards a topic that's going to cause moderator issues, so I'll mostly leave it at my initial comment and only add on that 'as a human' I don't find the 'humans are helpless little creatures which need to be protected' to be a terribly interesting storyline.
    Not really. The Ancient Aliens build civilization predated Kirby and was not part of Marvel but Kirby used it to launch his own ideas. For example he copyrighted a 4 page tv script which was all about Judgement by the Gods, and it was in part a WW2 metaphor. Stuff with Judgement, Armageddon, The Holocaust, What We Owe Each Other, Mass Media, etc.

Then Kirby was re hired back to Marvel and was promised he got to do freedom to do his own thing. And he did so for the first half of the 19 issues Eternals. The goal was not to connect The Celestials, The Deviants, The Eternals, Humans, to mainline 616 Marvel. But Marvel said midway through Vol 1 your sales are not good enough so you better start doing crossovers with our IP. Thus we get Robot Hulk, and the Eternals Vol 1 was canceled after 19 issues.

So Kirby Eternals with those 19 issues are not like The Chariots of the Gods book (which is not Marvel but launched the Ancient Aliens craze with all its creepy stuff I will not talk about due to board rules ), and likewise almost all of The Eternals and Celestials lore came after Kirby in the 1980s and was established by different authors in non eternal books such as “What If?” Issues 23 to 30. It was those issues that connected The Eternals to all these Earlier Concepts including some of the Stan Lee alien races that are part of the “Sol” Solar System which includes Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia the Eternals

The main Eternals titles include:

Eternals (vol. 1) #1–19 (written and penciled by Jack Kirby, July 1976 - Jan. 1978)
    Eternals Annual #1 (written and penciled by Jack Kirby, 1977)
    Thor Annual #7 (September 1978)
    Thor (Vol. 1 ) #284-301 (June 1979-September 1980)
    What If... #23-30 (October 1980-September 1981)
    Iron Man Annual #6 (November 1983)
    Avengers (Vol. 1 ) #246-248 (August 1984- October 1984)
    Eternals (vol. 2) #1–12 (limited series, Oct. 1985 - Sept. 1986)
    Avengers (Vol. 1 ) #308-310 (October 1989- November 1989)
    Eternals: The Herod Factor (November 1991)
    Avengers (Vol. 1 ) #361, #374-375 (April 1993, May 1994 -June 1994 )
    Heroes for Hire (Vol.1 ) #4-7 (November 1997, January 1998)
    The New Eternals: Apocalypse Now (also known as Eternals: The New Breed) #1 (Feb. 2000)
    Eternals (vol. 3) #1–7 (written by Neil Gaiman, limited series, Jun. 2006 - Feb. 2007)
    Eternals (vol. 4) #1–9, Annual #1 (August 2008 - March 2009)
    Hulk (vol 3.) #49 (May 2012)
    Thor:The Deviants Saga #2–5 (February 2012 - May 2012)
    Avengers (vol. 8) #4 (September 2018)
    Eternals (vol. 5) #1–4 (January 2021 – present)
    Others include:

The Eternal #1–6 (written by Chuck Austen, with pencils by Kev Walker and inks by Simon Coleby, Aug. 2003 - Jan. 2004)
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

22. - Top - End - #52

Based on what we see, I don't think so.
    Show
    Or at least, their forms are given to them by Arishem as best I could tell. He may have chosen randomly. I assume (though the bit with a bunch of half-constructed Circe's pushes against this) that eternals on other worlds look like the local inhabitants, so just picking a random set of local appearances would be reasonable.
    To be fair, a ton of other Marvel aliens look pretty human too - Asgardians, Shi'ar, Kree, D'bari, whatever Gamora's people and the Collector's people and the Grandmaster's people are etc. Sure some of them get shades/tints that we don't get but the structure is still there.

Yeah, but the idea of Celestials being born from planets doesn't.

Looking it up, it seems that it originally comes from the Earth-X books in the 90s and was then brought into the main marvel universe in the early 2010s, about the same time the idea started being explored in WoW.
    The Earth-X books were still Marvel, just not 616. So still a roughly decade leg up on WoW.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing the discussion here and everywhere, it seems like this is a pretty polarizing movie. I am not sure whether this is worth a watch.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently Zhao has cited Zack Snyder as a major influence for her approach to Eternals.

That’s not a positive for me, but perhaps those who enjoyed the movie can look forward to a Zhao Cut in the next couple of years. With plenty of slo-mo and chanting.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, not sure since I am not feeling "Grand Galactic Space Opera that would be compared to 40K's War in Heaven" from the trailers.
    I mean what's not to like about intergalactic cosmic demihuman battle across the millenium.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

26. - Top - End - #56

What bothered me is...the Asgardians didn't notice the deviants? Heimdall and younger Odin never noticed all this nonsense going on? Odin's father Bor never noticed this nonsense? Asgard in Hela's day had to have noticed there was a Celestial embedded in Midgard.

Sure, Thor himself was kind of screwing around off planet in this movie, but you'd think he might've noticed some of the nonsense going on in the last thousand years or so.

...ALSO! The Sorcerer Supreme didn't notice any of these shenanigans going on? Dr. Strange can teleport and had to have noticed all this crap.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    What bothered me is...the Asgardians didn't notice the deviants? Heimdall and younger Odin never noticed all this nonsense going on? Odin's father Bor never noticed this nonsense? Asgard in Hela's day had to have noticed there was a Celestial embedded in Midgard.

Sure, Thor himself was kind of screwing around off planet in this movie, but you'd think he might've noticed some of the nonsense going on in the last thousand years or so.

...ALSO! The Sorcerer Supreme didn't notice any of these shenanigans going on? Dr. Strange can teleport and had to have noticed all this crap.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kingo has a line saying that he knew young Thor.

You're assuming that Doctor Strange is even around. NWH is likely going to explain what he's been up to. He doesn't appear to be present in Shang Chi.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

You made an excellent point right there. Someone would have noticed the Deviants and Celestials a very long time ago.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Strange isn’t even the only sorcerer it town, either. If he was too busy, there are multiple sanctums around the globe, and more sorcerers than just him and Wong, as we saw in Endgame.

That said I’m going to add to the list in a different direction: Ego. Being a Celestial, how did either he not notice the Eternals, or (if he’s a different faction of Celestial) how did they not notice him?

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Dr. Strange isn’t even the only sorcerer it town, either. If he was too busy, there are multiple sanctums around the globe, and more sorcerers than just him and Wong, as we saw in Endgame.
    Are there? Yes there were plenty during Endgame, but Morbo seems like he was setting out to drastically reduce that number.

Also, it's unlikely there were any Sanctums set up where
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tiamut was emerging. They may not even have noticed what was occurring in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    That said I’m going to add to the list in a different direction: Ego. Being a Celestial, how did either he not notice the Eternals, or (if he’s a different faction of Celestial) how did they not notice him?
    Why would they have noticed him? He's not tied to Arishem or Tiamut. And even if they did, he's not a Deviant.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy