New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Eternals, the movie that doesn't end

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The entire Deviant plot goes pretty much nowhere. I was hoping that we'd have some kind of interesting exchange of philosophy at least towards the end. They now have the same adversary, and the big Deviant has been gaining their power and knowledge, so it seems like there'd at least be an interesting development of that...but nah, just more stabs.
    Yeah, that part was just weird so he
    Spoiler
    Show
    achieves the power of speach and reasoning and then neither talks nor reasons with them. What's the point?

Also the matter of scale. The emerging celestial was far to small to be planet sized. Judging from his head and hand, he would have make a mess emerging (mostly due to causing tidal waves I guess) but he would not be anywhere near planet sized.

Also the time scale mentioned. If the celestial are creating whole new galaxies, a timescale of one of them needed to be born every few million years is way to short. Should be every couple billion years
    Last edited by M1982; 2021-11-07 at 06:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

All in all, I liked it, but that's not to say it isn't a flawed movie. Lots of issues, both pedantic and fundamental. Still I like it better than some Marvel movies, but its not very high up the list.

Spoiler
    Show

Going in, I expected it to feel crowded with so MANY eternals, but I think they did a good job giving them each individual voices and arcs. If there was one left out, it was Makkari who disappears for almost the entire movie, being the last one assembled. I would've liked them to be more elaborate and clear that she has spent the prior 500 years living in the ship, but going out on speed runs to steal... uh... acquire.... important artifacts and memorabilia. Basically the Eternal Kender.

I enjoyed Druig NOT being the token bad guy, which is what I expected, but rather making good points and being more complex. He ended up being one of my favorites.

There were a lot of short shrifts. The deviants needed a LOT more fleshing out, especially Ghaur or whatever they were calling the main deviant. Why put Dane Whitman in this movie at all? I actually felt almost offended by his end credit scene. They couldn't even decide what person is there to tell him not to touch the ebony blade so its just a mysterious voice off screen? Dumb.

I thought the Starfox, Pip the Troll reveal in the first end credit scene was pretty weak. But there's not a WEALTH of Eternals stories to tell from the established canon, so I guess they are reaching for sequel bait. It's nice that they've established that Thanos WAS an eternal, but that opens a whole sack of works. Can eternals breed? Is Thanos a space robot or the child of other space robots? I have a LOT of questions about this reveal.

Wasn't expecting Ikarus' turn, so that caught me by surprise, but it worked well. My wife and I kept whisper yelling "King of the North" every time he did something epic. I thought the "Jon Snow meets Robb Stark" meetcute was hilarious when the director took a beat to put a hat on it.

For a director without a lot of prior work in the field, I though the action scenes were great. Someone complained about the Eternals being JLA expys. I don't necessarily agree, but if they were, then this is much better than any prior justice league movie. Ikarus' superman work is especially great. I could watch "flash vs. Superman" for days. Every second of Makkari vs Ikarus was fantastic.

I think its funny that Angelina Jolie was the "main" actor in the movie and had all of 15 to 20 lines. Still her dance fighting was beautifully choreographed and I love her morphing energy weapons. I loved the relationship between Gilgamesh and Thena. I loved the scene where Ikarus reveals his evil turn and you have the palpable menace as the assembled Eternals realize that even together they don't stand a chance against him, but then Thena walks in and Ikarus flees. I thought that was an amazingly staged scene doing a good service and showing us Thena's danger level.

I really love that there are combat Eternals for fighting Deviants (Ikarus, Thena, Gilgamesh, Kingo) and teaching Eternals for helping the host races learn and grow (Ajak, Sersi, Sprite, Phastos, Druig) and that the non-combat Eternals are the ones that succeeded against Ikarus in the final showdown.

It's rare for me to think "this movie needed MORE exposition" but I did in this movie.

Alot of the complaints I see here, seem pretty facile. Complaints about "where were the sorcerers during this?" and "why didn't the asgardians know about the celestials". You can lodge those complaints about EVERY marvel movie. Welcome to the reality of a shared universe. Either get over it or leave, but stop complaining about the same thing each and every movie. It's easy to dismiss such criticism. It's meritless. I certainly don't want them to spend 30 minutes out of every 2.5 hours movie providing cute asides to explain why each and every other power in the universe aren't here for this particular incident. The Asgardians DO know about the celestials by the way, and there's no reason to suspect they know or don't know that Midgard was a Celestial Egg. We are talking about a process that takes millions of years. the Asgardians are only tens of thousands of years old. So its reasonable that they DON'T know. but it doesn't' break anything if they know or don't know. No reason why it would've been brought up by Thor in any prior conversation when, for all he knows, the emergence won't be for another several million years.

I was happy for one director, one time, to decide to stage the final climatic battle in the empty expanse of nowhere rather than in the middle of another million person city that needs to be destroyed. I could probably go the rest of my life without seeing another Chicago blow up for a cheap attempt to elicit reactions.

There were too many "hero shots" though. The movie didn't have the frenetic energy of many prior marvel movies. But that's not a bad thing is it? They don't all have to look and feel the same. I'm happy the Deviant wasn't another sarcastic quipster. I could've done without Arishem talking though. Makes him less awesome and fear-inducing to hear his voice IMO.

Someone complained about "they said Sersi couldn't affect organic material but she was always doing it". Well no. You didn't actually listen or watch the movie. Her actual line was "I can't transform sentient beings". Nothing about organic material at all. And when she DID transform a sentient creature, it was treated as unusual and a huge jump in her power. So there's another complaint without merit.

but there are plenty of complaints with merit about this movie. It is flawed. Far from perfect. Certainly no MORE flawed than, say, Dr. Strange or Ant man which had equivalent big universe revelations that open up questions. But I enjoyed it more than I expected.

I think it could've been a GREAT movie with a few changes in script and editing. I'm excited for a sequel.

Last edited by Wintermoot; 2021-11-08 at 09:42 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Spamalot in the Playground

The Mysterous Voice isn't actually that much of a mystery, I knew I recognized him in the theater and Chloe Zhao recently confirmed.

Spoiler: Mysterious Post-Credits Scene Voice
    Show
    It's Mahershala Ali, who has been confirmed to be playing Blade in Phase 4. Presumably the Ebony Blade has had some overlap with the vampires we'll be seeing in the MCU at some point.

There is a comic IIRC that implied Dracula - yes, that Dracula, who is a Marvel character too - was involved with the Ebony Blade in the past. Dracula also has ties to the Darkhold, that lovely book Wanda and Agatha have been messing around with.

Note that this won't be Mahershala's first Marvel character, as he also played the villain Cottonmouth in Luke Cage.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-11-08 at 09:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Finally caught it late last night. I find it hard to describe if I like it or not. It certainly tried to do some really cool things and be really different... but the twist for who the real villains were was no where near the level of twist I heard described and the movie just went on and on and on and on and on.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The Mysterous Voice isn't actually that much of a mystery, I knew I recognized him in the theater and Chloe Zhao recently confirmed.

Spoiler
    Show

It's Mahershala Ali, who has been confirmed to be playing Blade in Phase 4.

Note that this won't be Mahershala's first Marvel character, as he also played the villain Cottonmouth in Luke Cage.

Spoiler
    Show

Then why not have him on screen like Nick Fury in Iron Man? I stand by my criticism. You may think that everyone should recognize every actor's voice, but I don't agree. It would've been better to have him actually on screen. I'm guessing they couldn't get him on stage for one day, so they just had him dub a line and threw it over an empty scene. Who knows, perhaps it was a completely different reveal that they changed when they decided to throw him in. It just felt off-kilter and lazy to me. I honestly would rather they not had Dane Whitman in this movie at all.

I'm excited about his Blade movie. His Cottonmouth was the best part of the Luke Cage series IMO.

Last edited by Wintermoot; 2021-11-08 at 09:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66

I'd have preferred him on-screen too but it was a funny little teaser And agreed on his acting chops in that show.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd have preferred him on-screen too but it was a funny little teaser And agreed on his acting chops in that show.
    Killing off Cottonmouth halfway through the season was the Luke Cage series shotting themselves in the foot.
    Last edited by Clertar; 2021-11-08 at 10:34 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Killing off Cottonmouth halfway through the season was the Luke Cage series shotting themselves in the foot.
    Honestly, I thought Mariah was a great villain too.

The less said about Season 2 and its horrible "Jamaican" accents the better.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ecarden View Post
    Spoiler: On the deviants
    Show

So, why are they still introducing Deviants to the new worlds? Deviants emerge 7000 years ago. If they were always here, there wouldn't be anything but them on earth, so...uh...how do they get there? It can't be that they all went wrong at the same time, because the Eternals are millions of years old.

So, having lost control of the deviants and created the eternals, they then proceed to introduce the deviants to new worlds and send the eternals in because...why? If there are some predators that need to be dealt with, the eternals are more than capable of that. This timeline doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    Spoiler
    Show

One way to potentially fix that would be to give the deviants some limited manner of space travel. That would probably mesh fairly well with them escaping Celestial control, and would probably be cooler than them just crawling out of the water?

I've been informed that in the comics there is a massive deviant city under earth, which result in them crawling up from there and what not, and that's also kind of cool, but would be hard to reconcile with the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Apparently Zhao has cited Zack Snyder as a major influence for her approach to Eternals.

That’s not a positive for me, but perhaps those who enjoyed the movie can look forward to a Zhao Cut in the next couple of years. With plenty of slo-mo and chanting.
    Oof, was unaware of that, but that is...concerning, yeah.

I mean, there are absolutely good filmmaking lessons to draw from with Snyder, as with any famous director, but his signature ultra-compressed micro tales, the lesson she could most have used from Snyder in a film with this many characters, does not appear to even be attempted in this film.

It might be that she just needs to do some in between sized films for a bit. I have to imagine that going from indie films straight to blockbusters is...a lot to cope with all at once. Stepping back to more modest affairs for a bit might help her grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    What bothered me is...the Asgardians didn't notice the deviants? Heimdall and younger Odin never noticed all this nonsense going on? Odin's father Bor never noticed this nonsense? Asgard in Hela's day had to have noticed there was a Celestial embedded in Midgard.

Sure, Thor himself was kind of screwing around off planet in this movie, but you'd think he might've noticed some of the nonsense going on in the last thousand years or so.

...ALSO! The Sorcerer Supreme didn't notice any of these shenanigans going on? Dr. Strange can teleport and had to have noticed all this crap.
    Their method of locating deviants/problems also appears to be "Ask the speedster to scout the entire planet" which seems...less than subtle.

They seem to straight ignore secrecy for most of history, then...evidently have some sort of secrecy in relatively modern times, judging from Sprite's comments about moving....and then go back to not caring about secrecy for the events of the film. There isn't any clear motive for this secrecy, as humans do not generally appear to be a threat to them, and the whole thing seems to be highly muddled, and it's hard to rationalize how both children can recognize them from TV as superheroes and other superheros do not know of them.

Quote Originally Posted by M1982 View Post
    Yeah, that part was just weird so he
    Spoiler
    Show
    achieves the power of speach and reasoning and then neither talks nor reasons with them. What's the point?

Also the matter of scale. The emerging celestial was far to small to be planet sized. Judging from his head and hand, he would have make a mess emerging (mostly due to causing tidal waves I guess) but he would not be anywhere near planet sized.

Also the time scale mentioned. If the celestial are creating whole new galaxies, a timescale of one of them needed to be born every few million years is way to short. Should be every couple billion years
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I considered both things, and...I kind of put that to folks being bad with scale? To a lot of people, millions and billions are both really huge numbers, and a lot of people don't sit down and think about that scale like they would a difference between thousands and individuals.

Realistically, you should have a face that is visible from orbit, literally disfiguring the planet. Which....sounds kind of cool. But probably hard to shoot and tie into the ongoing scene, I guess. *shrug*

10. - Top - End - #70

[spoiler]

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I considered both things, and...I kind of put that to folks being bad with scale? To a lot of people, millions and billions are both really huge numbers, and a lot of people don't sit down and think about that scale like they would a difference between thousands and individuals.

Realistically, you should have a face that is visible from orbit, literally disfiguring the planet. Which....sounds kind of cool. But probably hard to shoot and tie into the ongoing scene, I guess. *shrug*
    There was a line from one of the previews that didn't make it into the movie about the unsnappenating kickstarting the emergence. Implying that the sudden influx of 3.5 billions souls returning in a split second artificially started the celestial birth. I wish they would've stuck with that. That this was premature and ahead of schedule, that the Celestial wasn't actually ready to be born. That would explain why it was smaller and subtly changed the dynamic of what the eternals were doing by stopping the emergence. If the expectation is that the planetary race is capable of space travel and space colonization by the time the celestial is born, destroying the planet, it kind of makes the celestials a little less of a cosmic horrorshow. A little bit.

I don't know... I felt the explanation of what Celestials are for was just... lacking... I hope it gets expounded on more in the sequel. How they integrate into the universe more fundamental and better explained.

I also would've been happy if it has just been the fingertips emerging and no head because then you COULD scale them appropriately with five new mega islands lining the indian ocean at the end.
    Last edited by Wintermoot; 2021-11-08 at 11:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Anyone have thoughts on whether

Spoiler: "Death"
    Show
    Ikaris, AJak, and Gilgamesh might come back?

For two of them, we have their bodies (albeit they burned Gilgamesh's, but we have an epic level transmuter on the team who could probably reconstruct it) and those bodies explicitly retain their memories, so you could stick those into one of the replacement blanks in "Olympia" and be good to go. For Ikaris meanwhile, we don't have his body since he flew into the sun, but he was part of the Unimind metaconcert (however briefly) so someone may have inadvertently "copied" him too.

For that matter, Sprite was also in the Unimind, so once she ages up a bit as a human they could feasibly "re-eternal" her.

To be clear, I don't particularly care if Ikaris and Sprite come back to the team, but Gilgamesh felt like a bit of a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    There was a line from one of the previews that didn't make it into the movie about the unsnappenating kickstarting the emergence. Implying that the sudden influx of 3.5 billions souls returning in a split second artificially started the celestial birth. I wish they would've stuck with that. That this was premature and ahead of schedule, that the Celestial wasn't actually ready to be born. That would explain why it was smaller and subtly changed the dynamic of what the eternals were doing by stopping the emergence. If the expectation is that the planetary race is capable of space travel and space colonization by the time the celestial is born, destroying the planet, it kind of makes the celestials a little less of a cosmic horrorshow. A little bit.
    I mean to be fair,
    Spoiler
    Show
    we don't know whether the snap/unsnap had no effect on Tiamut's timing, or what he would have emerged as. This might be why Arishem wasn't particularly mad about their cosmic abortion, or at least is willing to "hear them out" as far as their reasons why.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-11-08 at 11:50 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #72

Show

For two of them, we have their bodies (albeit they burned Gilgamesh's, but we have an epic level transmuter on the team who could probably reconstruct it) and those bodies explicitly retain their memories, so you could stick those into one of the replacement blanks in "Olympia" and be good to go. For Ikaris meanwhile, we don't have his body since he flew into the sun, but he was part of the Unimind metaconcert (however briefly) so someone may have inadvertently "copied" him too.

For that matter, Sprite was also in the Unimind, so once she ages up a bit as a human they could feasibly "re-eternal" her.

To be clear, I don't particularly care if Ikaris and Sprite come back to the team, but Gilgamesh felt like a bit of a waste.
    Spoiler
    Show

I think Ajak and Gilgamesh will return in new iterations/bodies. Probably as antagonists in the next movie. After all, there's no reason why the Celestials can't just upboot new versions of all of them from the backup store. The emotional weight of our Thena forced to fight a new Gilgamesh is palpable. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a "fighting your evil twins" motif in the next movie with our heroes vs their next iterations who are still loyal to Arishem.

I, personally, don't think Ikarus is dead. The implication is he threw himself into the sun to commit suicide, but my personal belief is that he can survive that and is just going into the sun to sulk for a bit.

I don't think our version of Ajak or Gilgamesh will be reincarnated or brought back, but I think new versions will replace them.

Last edited by Wintermoot; 2021-11-08 at 11:56 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Holding off till closer to the end of the series would have been better but his death scene itself was perfectly done as an end to his character arc and a beginning of Mariah’s.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Show

I mean to be fair,
    Spoiler
    Show
    we don't know whether the snap/unsnap had no effect on Tiamut's timing, or what he would have emerged as. This might be why Arishem wasn't particularly mad about their cosmic abortion, or at least is willing to "hear them out" as far as their reasons why.
    So, there was a line about that!
    Spoiler
    Show

They said that the snap delayed the emergence, implying that the emergence would naturally have happened within that five year period otherwise. It was in the ramblings at the Interstellar farmhouse.

The timeframe *appears* to be shortly after the unsnap, so the magic number must be...fairly close to the world's population just pre-snap. It doesn't seem like the population differs greatly from the modern day.

This does have the potential to greatly reframe Thanos's actions....if he believed many or all worlds to get cosmic eggs, preventing them from reaching that magic number may actually be a reasonable course of action. There's not really much evidence for such a retcon, but perhaps it would be an interesting path to take.

15. - Top - End - #75

So, there was a line about that!
    Spoiler
    Show

They said that the snap delayed the emergence, implying that the emergence would naturally have happened within that five year period otherwise. It was in the ramblings at the Interstellar farmhouse.

The timeframe *appears* to be shortly after the unsnap, so the magic number must be...fairly close to the world's population just pre-snap. It doesn't seem like the population differs greatly from the modern day.

This does have the potential to greatly reframe Thanos's actions....if he believed many or all worlds to get cosmic eggs, preventing them from reaching that magic number may actually be a reasonable course of action. There's not really much evidence for such a retcon, but perhaps it would be an interesting path to take.
    No I know about that line, I was saying that the Snap/Unsnap may have had an effect besides just
    Spoiler
    Show
    helping Ajak get a conscience.

In other words I'm more interested in Arishem's reaction now than Ajak's actions during the flashback.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Saw it today; liked it a lot. There's so much there that it feels like it might benefit from additional viewings.

I did want to chip in on the Celestial decision making discussion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They are still refining their Celestial making process; they store the wiped memories of Eternals so they can review what did/didn't work for when they make more. This means any given group of Eternals may well include experimental models or the results of experiments with counterintuitive results. Note also that an experimental model that turned out to be less efficient for the Celestial's objectives could still remain in use if it wasn't hindering things so badly as to be worth the energy cost to destroy and replace.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

I liked it.

Spoiler
    Show

this is my first time seeing Eternals anything. I liked the dilemma posed and how they didn't know if they did the right thing in the end. now I'm not sure if the Celestials in the comic did any of that for those exact reasons, but they were certainly never all that great regardless, but this seems like a good showing of how they're an alien godlike species with no regard for human values.

I liked the kid saying Ikarus is superman and him disliking it, its a joke that works on many levels for me.

it was a certainly a slower film than most Marvel movies. I liked the various set pieces they did, they showed it all around the world and in these great costumes in the past, and contrast with them like, wearing normal clothes in some dingy house, to show where they are now.

also all the gold, and mostly normal superpowers made me feel like I was watching some Solar Exalted having trouble deciding what to do if their god didn't care about humanity. Thena having this dangerous breakdown only cemented it for me.

the whole film asked questions about how much responsibility they had, what they should do and such. I'm a little disappointed they didn't get the Deviant on their side to team up against Ikarus and just killed him, but he seemed to only want to absorb powers and proclaim himself a weapon pointlessly despite knowing what was happening, so screw him I guess.

like the whole film is about a bunch of immortals figuring out what their place is on Earth and whether they have any right to against their orders, to tamper with the cosmic order and so on. and how a lot of their relationship with Earth is defined by their personal relationships and what they care about and how much nuance there is in what they decide to do, with one of them having beliefs to allow the Celestial to be born but not going to fight or kill anyone over it. while the original plan was to simply put the Celestial to sleep and transfer the humans somewhere else somehow and just killed Tiamut out of desperation.

the fact that it ends a cliffhanger with all the remaining Eternals left on earth being taken for basically interrogation and judgement because that is what would logically happen? good, I like that it wasn't tied up neatly.

I'd say it was a good movie, to me personally.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #78

Now that a new Ghostbusters film is coming out, it's interesting to compare the current Rotten Tomatoes score for Eternals with the one for the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot :P
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Now that a new Ghostbusters film is coming out, it's interesting to compare the current Rotten Tomatoes score for Eternals with the one for the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot :P
    Not really. There are 337 reviews for Eternals and only 48 so far for the new Ghostbusters. It'll take some time for that to even out.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Not really. There are 337 reviews for Eternals and only 48 so far for the new Ghostbusters. It'll take some time for that to even out.
    @JadedDM 2016 he said. This one.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, my bad.

In that case, I don't get what Eternals has to do with Ghostbusters 2016.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Oh, my bad.

In that case, I don't get what Eternals has to do with Ghostbusters 2016.
    I thought at first that they meant the new Ghostbusters coming out in about a week, but yeah, I'm afraid I don't see a great connection to Ghostbusters 2016 either. Admittedly, I didn't see the latter film, so I may be missing something.

*shrug*

In any case, by Box Office, Eternals is a big falloff relative to the previous two MCU entries, coming in at #8 while the others were #3 and #1, chronologically....and Shang-Chi's #1 entry is particularly impressive as it was not allowed release in the China market.

It's not out of the theater yet, so the Eternals number could climb slightly, but it certainly seems as if it couldn't possibly catch up to James Bond.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2021-11-15 at 02:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Just went to see this with some friends. Overall, I enjoyed it - I like the mythology of it, the baseline of the characters, and the twist with one of them in particular. But I think it definitely suffered from having so many characters, and not enough time to fully develop them all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Energy blast dude and speedster girl both got so little to really do that I never even clearly caught their names, for instance. Hell, energy blast dude sat out the whole ending.

With Hephaestus we went way too abruptly from being told he feels guilty over the atom bomb and has given up on humanity to him having settled down and having a family. Plus we know so little about what he was doing before that we're left to make sweeping assumptions about how directly or indirectly tied to the whole atom bomb thing he actually is, greatly reducing any impact that scene could've had.

Druid got so little development that I actually worry I may have missed part of it due to taking a fairly quick trip to the restroom just prior to the scene where they re-recruit him. And with his powers being mind control and all, there's a lot that could've been explored there that just gets shrugged aside for lack of time to get into it.

The biggest ones, though, are the Deviant and Icarus. The Deviant gains either sentience or the ability to speak after absorbing the powers/memories of two Eternals, which is a cool twist with lots of potential implications and story developments that could come from it.... and then we don't see him again until the ending, where he's a sideshow and ultimately just summarily hacked apart. Very much a case of wasted potential there.

And Icarus - well, I like the twist with him being a villain ultimately, and the schism that creates in the Eternals as a group, I really do. But it's clear from how his love for Circe held him back at the end there that their relationship was supposed to be a big deal, and I don't feel like it was developed well enough. Aside from thinking she's beautiful, what does he find attractive about her exactly? We get a couple of moments between them that are supposed to be romantic, but it's more the "we already established we're a couple and are just reminding you" type, not any clear chemistry or source of their relationship. It really robs that moment of a lot of the power it should've had. And then he just abruptly commits suicide after the Emergence is stopped... why? I get feeling distraught and like he failed, but why does it drive him that far?

It's sad, because there is a lot to this that I like, but it feels like they just really needed to cut some characters out and focus on the most important ones so that everyone got enough development, and they just didn't.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I liked the movie. I liked it in part because it wasn't your typical marvel movie.

And honestly, from most of the complaints I've seen of the movie, the dislike seems to stem from people expecting it to be another flashy, explody, punch-em-up and it by-and-large wasn't.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Colossus in the Playground

They don't, where you live? A ten minute break in the middle of movies has been a thing over here for as long as I can remember.

It probably increases snack sales quite a lot, too.

Jeez. How do you even watch a three hour movie without a toilet break?
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-11-26 at 05:11 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    They don't, where you live? A ten minute break in the middle of movies has been a thing over here for as long as I can remember.

Here in the US? By not getting soda and sticking to light snacks, personally.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #87

Same thing over here in the Netherlands.

28. - Top - End - #88

Same thing over here in the Netherlands.
    Some accountant somewhere probably calculated that the added concessions from breaks here didn't compensate for the missing showtime and they got axed. Such a calculus naturally also disregards disabled people, neurodivergent people, people with small children and other such groups who might have difficulty sitting through a 2.5+ hour movie in one stretch.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

So, according to a new promo thingie, this will be released on Disney+ next month, Jan. 12.

That's just over three months since its release in the theater, which seems a fairly brief interval. Seem to recall it was much longer for Captain Marvel, although I think it was about three months for Shang-Chi as well.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    That's just over three months since its release in the theater, which seems a fairly brief interval. Seem to recall it was much longer for Captain Marvel, although I think it was about three months for Shang-Chi as well.
    Might be a result of the pandemic - a lot of the movie producers have been negotiating for shorter theater windows.