New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Sisters' Chronicles Thread 2: Nobody likes Abadaius

"I'm not a half-elf," Alifa said.
    "Yeah, we're like a quarter elf. And who would keep me away from a hot spring? It's practically named after me!""
    "Have you been here before, Kat?"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

"Right, quarter elves" Kat sighed "Born and raised, at least until I ran away. I told you about how I followed my teacher as an assistant- well, he used to teach at said school. He wasn't well seen due to being a dragonborn, but nobody could find a better oracle. And I used to be a student- tecnically still am, as I need at least a hundred and fifty years before I'm allowed to leave the school" the elf smirked.

"Not that they managed to stop me"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-11-12 at 01:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Boots grinned. "Oh, Kat's a rebel. Nice."

"We've always known that, Boots."
    "We have?"
    "Not this exactly, but that she was a rebel for sure." Alifa smiled at her. "Alright, if no one can stop us let's head straight for the crossing."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

"Rebel" Kat repeated it to herself considering the title.

In the next days they traveled through the elven lands. It was immediately obvious that their 'villages' were the equivalent of small towns- according to Kat their longevity had allowed the elves to retain much of their culture and craft after the war, where most other races had lost many of their adults and elderly leaving them with way less means to recover- that and the fact that elves slept half the time.

They saw many of the elven races they were familiar with, though the majority were high elves and they found no trace of drows or shadar-kais, though wether they didn't exist wasn't clear. And everybody used magic- sun elves making lights and keeping roads illuminated, wood elves growing the fields and so on.

Despite what Kat had said they didn't attract many looks at first- as they got deeper in land, the looks increased. Kat's humor got darker as well- her discomfort looking at her kin was directly proportional to the number of (high) elves around.

On the third day they got to the bigger city yet- tall, pearl white walls protected the city of Ithiryllis, the capital built in the Eternal Woods. Within, they'd find the hot springs fueled by the Crossing to Fiamma's lands.
    Two elven guards moved in front of the gates to stop them.
    "Halt! Who g-" one started, and Kat spurred her Steed in a gallop and vaulted right above the two guards, one of which had the scare of her life as a hoof flew very close to her head.

Kathleyîënis turned around and smiled at the sisters, motioning them to follow.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-11-12 at 03:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

"Bye," Boots said, casting Fly on Tilly and having her soar right overhead of the guards.
    "Thank you for welcoming us to your city!"
    And once they were past she called down to Kat: "Wouldn't it have been easier to go around the city?"
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

"Maybe. Road's more direct this way though" Kat replied "Also I wouldn't have gotten to scare a guard" she waited in case there were complaints.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

"This is the hottest you've ever been."
    "But mostly that's cool. Let's get going!"
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

"Thanks. Let's"

The trio (well, six considering the two familiars and Tilly) headed down the street- Kat had only a little trouble picking out the way, as the roads had slightly changed. Passing by a great building with spellcasters practicing magic in the courtyard they heard Kat mumble "If this was my school... Then rounding the corner..." she took a right and sure enough there was a big gate. Past it they could see the road kept going, but while on one side there was grass and trees on the other there seemed to be the beginning of burned earth.

Kathleyîënis came to a halt, her eyes fixed not on the road ahead but on a group of elven youths who seemed to be around her age on the side of the street. She got down from her Steed.
    "Go ahead. I'll join you soon" she said, before a shroud of magic covered her turning the elf invisible.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-11-12 at 04:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

"Uh… I don’t know which way to go."
    "Follow Hootie." Alifa pointed to the owl.
    Which way?
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

I wasn't born when she lived here! Hootie flew high, hooted and flew back down evidently having picked up the road as it flew through the gate ahead of them and turned right where they could see burned earth.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

They followed on Tilly.
    Oh, my mistake. Still, thanks Hootie.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Rounding the corner, the two found the hot springs immediately past the gates. The ground was burned up, and streams of hot water departed from a great gate of boiling lava- the streams fed into pools where many elves bathed, in costumes while their clothes were watched over by a bunch of guards. The moment Tilly was above the ground changed by the Crossing she dove for it, partially sinking as the sisters were jolted back a bunch at the sudden accelleration- Tilly was on her natural habitat.

Wo-hoo! I'm on fire!

Then an elf in light armor barred their way.
    "I'm afraid your... Creature is disturbing the quiet" he said, a few frowns thrown their way "I insist you leave"

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, we were just on our way out." Boots pointed to the crossing. "So.... if you want us to leave stop keeping us?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

The elf frowned.
    "B-" and then was knocked aside as Kat ran by, invisibility dropping from her while the sisters heard angry shouting behind them- the elves they had seen before, the ones Kathleyîënis was staring at, came into view shouting "Thief! Thief!" And one particular woman yelling "Kathleyîënis you *****!"

Unfortunately for them, there was no way to stop Kat as she bolted for the Crossing- she only stopped in front of it, turning around and staring at the one that had insulted her lifting what looked like a spellbook that the sisters could be sure their friends didn't have before.
    "This contains the fruits of your school work right!?" and she threw it into a pool, the book devoid of protective casing immediately getting soaked and ruined- Boots and Alifa heard a shrill cry of hate, and a laughing Kat jumped into the Crossing.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa gasped, looking at the book.
    Boots just hooted out a laugh and directed Tilly into the crossing.
    Mommy, I'm coming.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Nobody stopped them, what with Tilly rocketing forward and many just wanting the chaos to go away and go back to enjoy the water.

Crossing the... Well, Crossing, Boots and Alifa found themselves in on the side of a volcano, not far from the Caldera. Kathleyîënis was only a dozen feet away- she had sat down and was perusing through a bunch of purses, books and other objects, grabbing what looked valuable and tossing it into the lava- though anything that looked usable for spellcasting -except spellbooks- had been set aside.
    Spotting them Kat waved and said "I figured we could keep the gem for Cromatic Orb and the incense for a Find Familiar"

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa ran forward and tackled her. "Stop burning spell books! What are you doing!?"
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Kat didn't oppose resistance.
    "I used to go to school with them" she explained looking only a little guilty for making Alifa mad "They'd make fun of me for not being good with magic- insults, pranks. I showed them who got better at magic" and now looked pretty proud of herself.

"Those are spellbooks written by pathetic useless brats with only a handful of weak spells, I haven't actually destroyed something precious. Not precious to anybody who matters- and I know they use a little trick to track them down, so if they have the courage to traverse the Crossing... They won't even find ash"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa quickly looked over the spellbooks, then she took a deep breath and dropped one in the lava. "Okay... fine."
    "Holy..."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Kat beamed happily.
    "Would it be uncomfortable to hug right now?"

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa gave her a soft, not-very-tight hug. "Not a problem, Kat. Whenever you need one."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you" Kat said, hugging her the same way. Then she kicked the last things into the lava and stood with the gem and the incense "So... This is Faerie. Where are we going from here?" she asked, while her gaze was attracted by a bunch of salamander riding feys and the general feel of the place.
    "Hot"

Speaking of hot, Tilly stared at the lava stream.
    Can I take a minute?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure thing, Tilly," Boots said.
    "Our next step is to stop by Fiamma's to get directions to the crossing of... hm. Do you think Fiamma would let Kat in without a trial?"
    "Oh. Crap. I forgot about that."
    "Maybe you could go in, and me and Kat could set up camp?"
    "And where will you get your water? I'm sure we can get Kat in."
    "Well, we can try. So the main plan is to get directions from Fiamma to the crossing to... any specifics, Boots?"
    "Uh... 'on the opposite side of the stone circle in the Inner Lands...' The crossing near there should be swampy. So probably the cannibal queen's lands."
    "No problem, she seems to mostly want to avoid us."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Tilly took a minute to bathe into the lava, making weird gurgling sounds that seemed to mean happiness.

Reaching the Caldera nothing seemed to happen- at least until the two fire giants stopped them, Firaga standing outside smiling as they approached.

"Mother has said 'it's about time you fight somebody somewhat powerful'' he quoted "Which, aside from the personal offense, means that these two are to be your enemies. She also said 'No kiting, smartass' which I believe was referring to Princess Alifa"

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Yeah Fiamma just wants to see a good brawl, you've been away for so long.

I'm using fire giants exactly how they are in the PHB.

Initiative!
    (2d20)[9][13](22)-1 each, since there's only two enemies I'll be moving them separately.
    Kat! You're level 8 now so (1d20+4)[18] you have 18 Dex.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-11-13 at 08:16 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing the fire giants approach, Boots and Alifa gave each other a glance.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Initiative! Guidance!
    Boots: (1d20)[2]+(1d4)[1]
    Alifa: (1d20+1)[21](1d4)[1]

"Alright, Firaga. Let's **** up some giants."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa pointed up and a star twinkled for a second. The twinkling then reappeared next to one of the giants, stardust coming together.
    "Transcending five thousand years time, the doors of the abominable will open once more. May your soul be the food of the new world! Advent, Warrior of Stardust!"

"Ooh, summoning chants. I like it. Are you gonna use those from now on?"

"That's the plan," Alifa said as the stardust clustered together into the rough shape of a humanoid, a chill coming over it to freeze the matter in place where it needed to be.
    "Well that one was awesome! So he's like made of stars so maybe... Illumi-naughty?"
    "Illumi-naughty, attack!"
    Alifa got off of Tilly and backed away, letting Illumi-naughty handle one giant for now.

Spoiler: DICE
    Show

Illumi-naughty, summoned with a level 5 slot:
    Whispering Aura
    (2d6)[9] Psychic

Attack! Extra d8 is Cold
    (1d20+10)[13]; (1d8+8)[12]+(1d8)[4]
    (1d20+10)[30]; (1d8+8)[15]+7 crit +(1d8)[7]+8 crit
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2021-11-13 at 08:26 AM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

"All fey queens like pitting their guests against their soldiers?" Kat frowned and pulled out a pepper, which she fed to Hootie "Go"

The owl flew by the giant Illumi-naughty attacked, took a deep breath... And spewed a cone of cold that engulfed the giant, while Kat shot an arrow right into his gut, backpedaling as she got a few feet behind Boots.

Show
    Kat will use Dragon's Breath on Hootie, who then proceeds to breath (3d6)[5] cold damage on the wounded giant, which she then shoots.
    (1d20+3)[12] dex save against DC 14 to halve.

Attack!
    (1d20+8)[24] (2d8+5)[13]+(4d6)[15] mixed piercing/radiant damage.

"What dreadful spells you're using, makes me shiver" Firaga lamented looking at the cold.

The wounded giant roared angrily, cleaving into the star spawn twice with a massive burning greatsword.
    The other one instead charged right at Boots, though his eyes were fixed on Kat.
    Show

On Illumi-naughty!
    (1d20+11)[17] damage (6d6+7)[30] slashing
    (1d20+11)[27] damage (6d6+7)[25] slashing

On Boots!
    (1d20+11)[18] damage (6d6+7)[30] slashing
    (1d20+11)[17] damage (6d6+7)[32] slashing

Then it's you.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

"Only Fiamma."
    "Yeah, she **** *** ******** ** ****."

"It's been awhile since I've used my sword..." Boots considered, but took out her whip. "But I also like hitting things with you." She went for the giant's chest with her whip, and brought in a flowery face from behind to kiss it.

Alifa mulled over the giant fighting Illumi-naughty. She left those two alone even as a club slammed into the star stuff and pointed to the one fighting Boots. Reality fractured with cracks on the giant's head as she shot.

Spoiler: DICE
    Show

Boots!
    SPIRITUAL WEAPON
    (1d20+9)[10]; (1d8+5)[10]

WHIP
    (1d20+10)[17]; (1d6+6)[11]
    (1d20+10)[19]; (1d6+6)[12]

Alifa!
    (1d20+10)[24]; (1d10+5)[7] force
    (1d20+10)[29]; (1d10+5)[15] force

Illumi-naughty, summoned with a level 5 slot:
    Whispering Aura
    (2d6)[7] Psychic

Attack! Extra d8 is cold!
    (1d20+10)[14]; (1d8+8)[16]+(1d8)[7]
    (1d20+10)[22]; (1d8+8)[14]+(1d8)[1]
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Wis save (1d20+2)[6]

Kat kept shooting to help out the abomination, with Hootie breathing ice on it.
    "I don't like this Queen" she seemed about to back off again, but then Firaga warned "No kiting, that's the rule" and the elf frowned and stood still.

Show

The first fire giant is bloodied!
    Kat and Hootie are gonna keep wailing on it.
    (1d20+3)[5] to halve (3d6)[9] cold damage.
    Arrow! (1d20+8)[19] (2d8+5)[16]+(4d6)[10]

While one giant kept up his death dance with the Spawn, the other one moved past Boots charging at Kat, who gritted her teeth- she tried jumping behind Boots, but it didn't give her cover.

Show

On the star spawn
    (1d20+11)[27] damage (6d6+7)[30] slashing
    (1d20+11)[29] damage (6d6+7)[32] slashing

Seeing how Boots is hard to hit and has missed most of her attacks, the giant will trigger an AoO as he goes after Kat who looks the easiest to take down to reduce the brunt on his partner- that means...
    (1d20+11)[22] damage (6d6+7)[25] slashing
    (1d20+11)[22] damage (6d6+7)[21] slashing

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Claws (Slaad Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d10 + 3 + the spell’s level slashing damage. If the target is a creature, it can’t regain hit points until the start of the aberration’s next turn.

Slaad: extra d8 is radiant
    (1d20+10)[23]; (1d20+8)[18]+(1d8)[7]
    (1d20+10)[26]; (1d20+8)[26]+(1d8)[6]
    Show