New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,479 of 1479
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 51: It's just a weather balloon

[Apocalypse Junction]

Being mad at all the mages seems like a pretty reasonable response to mages desolating most of the world, honestly.

"So it's just a real odd sorta key then?" Victor replies, sounding puzzled.

Seems like there would be less awkward ways to make keys, by Victor's reckoning.

"That leg's gotta be a real pain, sides from the regular pain I suppose. Too bad there ain't nothin' to cure it."

A moment of silence passes.

Well.

Silence aside from the gnashing sounds the cables are making.

"...you don't... you don't reckon those boxes can make stuff that can CURE a leg turned to stone, do you?" Victor wonders aloud. He's got no idea how magic that turns things to rocks work. Or how those boxes work. But it couldn't hurt to try, could it?

[Crystal Crags]

Sol Invicata does not have jump jets.

But what she DOES have is some pretty nice claws and more agility than you might expect from such a large machine.

Phoenix sinks the claws of her mech into the rock wall and begins to simply scale it, pouring power into the mech's limbs to speed up the ascent.

Shortly there after a salvo of missiles just utterly demolish the burrows.

This doesn't help even a little bit.

Because few seconds later a pair of magma worms burst out of the ground, arc high into the sky spewing lava bombs everywhere with arcs of lightning tethering the projectiles to their bodies, before diving back down again to plow into the earth. The creatures aren't absolutely gigantic. Maybe three meters across. But they are VERY long and VERY on fire. And apparently hot enough to burrow through rock. They aren't aiming for direct hits on the mech, but when they hit the ground they spew even MORE molten projectiles everywhere.

"**** I don't think my weapons are going to help much here," Phoenix swears as she does her best to avoid the lava bombs raining around them. She's... not terribly successful. Gets glorped by one right in the middle of her mech's back.

Thermal Capacity 4/15

[Dragonborn Hunting]

The vampire continues its barrage against Yuvan's defenses right up until Fenris spreads her paws wide before clapping them together, resulting in a tremendous detonation of blazing light. Several mostly destroyed constructs ignite with holy flame as the shockwave washes over them.

And so does the vampire.

The lord of undead begins flailing and shrieking before fleeing from our heroes in blind panic as the spell begins reducing its impure flesh to consecrated ashes at a pretty alarming rate.

It's a pretty good reminder of just how potent Fenris' restoration spells are. Probably a good thing that Yuvan had enough sense not to accept the offers of any vampire lords.

With the vampire utterly unable to fight back it's just a matter of deciding how to dispatch him.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Pepo's Hollow]

Lapis isn't really sure what a shaman is, either.

Though given that Lapis can cast a lightning shield maybe that isn't too inaccurate?

"A fire elemental? Umm... don't know if elementals work that way, Anika," Lapis admits. This is mostly because elementals in an Eternal Game context are mostly just areas of terrain animated by an amalgam of spirits. So they don't really conform to the classical elements as such. The only way to really get a fire elemental is if one cropped up during the middle of a wildfire? Maybe? Fires are usually more ephemeral environmental phenomena. "I can try?"

Lapis knows that her sister Karaglen knows how to make materia constructs. That's sort of the same, right? Maybe she could make a sort of person shape out of glass and then use Matter and Energy to just make it on fire all the time? She tries conjuring some materia and successfully creates a two meter cube of silvered glass and solid sunlight. It looks really pretty?

"I don't really know how to make person shapes?" Lapis admits.
    [Pepo's Hollow]

Anika claps her hands as what she assumes to be a fire(?) elemental materializes before Lapis. It looked more like a glass elemental but there was a lot of heat involved in making glass.
    "Woooow!" She declares as she isn't sure what she's looking at which made it all more exciting.
    "Eh, person shapes are lame anyway, everyone already knows what a person looks like. This is something new and cool." Though in fairness, everyone also tended to know what cubes looked like. "The important thing is that it can set fire to this thing." Anika nods. "So can you make it move? Do a little... cube spin perhaps?" She makes a circular motion with her finger.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-05-12 at 06:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1473

[Dragonborn Hunting]

With more fire, of course. Why give him the dignity of an especially dramatic end? He's a vampire, vampires burn.

Yuvan raises his hands for one last barrage of spells, sending several dual castings of Incinerate up at the vampire lord. Weakened as he is, he doesn't expect the Breton to last long.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Troll in the Playground

Crystal Crags
    "I read about something like this! On an ocean world somewhere, there're critters that use their body heat to melt tunnels through ice." "How about you start shooting them?" Splatters of lava hit both mechs, but in small quantities their armor can absorb the damage. A big hit would be more disastrous.
    The air is suddenly awash with smoke trails from numerous missiles as Herringbone opens fire, splitting the attacks between the two worms. "They're just animals, we can drive them off!" Hopefully that's true. Most animals avoid a fight if they think they'll lose more than they gain. Just got to dish out some pain.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Pepo's Hollow]

The cube looks kind of like the inside of bone. That odd porous look. Except all the gaps are filled in with a warm golden glow.

Lapis is very pleased when Anika is impressed! There are few things more important to Lapis than her friends thinking that she's done a good job.

"Umm... I have to do... a thing with it?" Lapis replies vaguely as she puts her hands on the cube. "It was in the tutorial I wasn't very good at it. They wanted me to do it with a dead thing first but I really didn't like that I thought it was gross. But dead things are supposed to be easier since they already have parts that are supposed to move."

That sounds like necromancy.

Is Lapis able to make zombies.

"I have to fill it with intent."

And so she does! She fills it with her purpose until its over flowing!

...the cube kind of...

Shakes to one side a little. Like there's something inside it that just whacked into the interior and made it lurch slightly toward the dead pumpkin giant. Lapis frowns. "I left a hole inside of it with a big ball in the hole like in the tutorial but it doesn't move very good."

Also it isn't on fire yet.

"Can you help me scoot it over to the dead monsters, Anika?"
    Lapis asks since the cube is significantly larger than she is.

[Dragonborn Hunting]

The vampire gets torched pretty well, sending him flopping to the ground lifelessly and reverting to the form of a-

Wood elf.

Fenris clomps over inside her armor and sniffs at the dead mer, puzzled by this revelation.

"Didn't the villagers say he was a Breton?" she growls aloud. Is this some kind of ruse? On closer inspection it looks like the elf's skull has been cut open and then sealed back together with brass staples. This is likely not a great discovery. It also possibly explains what the vampire was doing with the Dragonborn he had captured.

[Crystal Crags]

"Swear to Ra everything is clogging my intakes today," Phoenix mutters darkly as more lava splats against the hull of her mech. The machine's slag carapace is already pretty resist to harm from sources like these but getting her vents all schmutzed up really doesn't help her mech run any smoother.

None the less, Herringbone's idea here is sound.

These creatures are likely being territorial. They must have a nest or something nearby and are trying to drive off the mechs. Phoenix begins bounding away, leaping from crag to crag, and generally trying to avoid getting as little lava lodged in her vents as possible. Assuming our heroes keep moving this will likely work better. That's definitely what Gene is up to. Trying to get out of here! Getting a clear shot on the wurms is pretty difficult since they keep popping up and down like whack-a-moles. Especially when our heroes start shooting back. Instead of doing big jumps they start popping out of the ground briefly before flinging globs of molten rock at the mechs with sweeps of their tails.

The wurms are DEFINITELY durable things.

Tough enough to burrow through rock, certainly. They don't like the missiles at all, but the missiles aren't slaying them outright either.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Orc in the Playground

Apocalypse Junction

"Key, badge, status symbol, proof of identity, all rolled into one. Prob'ly a few other stuff mixed in as well, Da was sure his kept him from gettin' drunk. Didn't want to ask the mayor if theirs did the same, if it really did keep him sober. Which, y'know, it didn't. Da could just take it off an' drink till he fell over that way." It protected against all kinds of poisons, alcohol just being one of them. Not that Sian knows this. "Leg itself don't hurt. Stone don't feel pain, neither does me flesh where I inject the inhibitor. Me hip hurts, from the weight, an' me back a little too. Especially if I've just climbed some stairs." She frowns at the suggestion. "Nothin' can fix it. The curse that hit me leg was designed t'be unbreakable. Even me inhibitor potion don't stop it, only slow it- for a day. If I run out, once it wears off I've got... mebbe half an hour." And she's been late with the dose before, for various reasons. It's why it's spread up past her knee, when originally it was just her foot that was affected.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

7. - Top - End - #1477

The Ossuary

Cantata blinks and looks between Pania and the necromancer. Well, it did indeed work. And if Dena was happy with it, then she would be too.

- - -

As the group moves towards the pyramid, Cantata sticks to the shadows as much as she can. She watches the battle unfolding, studying the fight. Perhaps there's a few key members where a brief stagger might cause their defense to fold, or anyone in the rear guard who would be easy to disappear.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ogre in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Troll in the Playground

Crystal Crags
    The two jumpy mechs continue jumping away from the worms. Cynic tears into one of them with fire from her mech's autocannon. Herringbone does the same with missiles, but she has a problem. "Between the lava, the jumping, and the constant shooting, it's getting hot in here! I'm going to need to fall back and cool down!"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters