New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [IC] The Cult of Brannulv, Chapter 2

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    You depart from the cave and set off along the path down into the valley.

Imrin tells Zarron "Ironwood, that is an elvish thing right?" Imrin looks at all of you again, carefully studying your facial features. "Aren't all of you elves, why would you be asking me?"
    "Yes, Mr. Imrin sir, it's an elven thing but I only heard rumors about it. I thought maybe since you are a craftsman, you might be interested in materials, have seen it, or even worked with it before. Oh, and the only full elf here is Miss Taara. I have human blood myself."
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2021-12-15 at 06:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

"My duties keep me away from the forge most of the time but some members of the clan might know details of ironwood, we usually prefer using horn such as in my bow."

Imrin shows you their recurve bow that it is made of compressed layers of alchemically treated horn rather then wood.

Spoiler: Survival or Wisdom (History) DC 12
    Show
    Traveling down the path you notice that at one time many years ago it was once well maintained but has since been overgrown. Evidence suggests that recently efforts have been made to clear away most of the obstructions.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"A horn, Mr. Imrin sir? From what animal?"

Realizing that someone must have recently cleared the obstructions (rolled Survival 22 in Discord), Zarron suddenly goes quiet and attempts to perceive if there are signs of who that mystery cleaner may be. Did they leave behind any tracks?

Perception: (1d20+6)[8]
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2021-12-16 at 02:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Rolled a 5, no History for me.

"That bow looks very finely worked, I wouldn't mind observing a dwarven smith at work" Ghiso smiled "And yes, as they said only Taara is a true elf. Me and Zarron are only elves for the most part, Lanitfat is a genasi which is completely different and Rose is elf only in a very small part" he concluded.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Imrin nods at Ghiso's explanation as if understanding the basic principal of the concept, but still not sure how one can tell the difference in practice.

---
    "We mostly use goat horn for common applications as they are the primary livestock raised by my kin so the supply is plentiful. Horns of magical beasts like the almiraj can imbue the crafted item with fantastical properties."

---

It looks like the recent maintenance on the trail was done sometime within the last year.

---

Spoiler: Passive Perception DC 12
    Show
    You hear something that is most likely a group of people marching towards you on the path several hundred feet ahead, due to the foliage and twists in the trail they are still out of sight.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

"Ooh, someone's coming!" Lana said excitedly.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Why can't we see them? What sort of cover blocks our path?
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Leery of being attacked, Zarron goes to the side of the road and sits on the ground, while tracing a magic circle with a piece of fleece from his component pouch. Suddenly, a huge boulder* materializes in the space where the scrawny half elf used to be.

Cast Minor Illusion (constantly renewed as needed). Zarron can see through his own Illusion. DC 14 Intelligence check to disbelieve the Illusion.

* Or a dense bush or wooden crate, whichever is more believable given the situation.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2021-12-18 at 02:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Ghiso dutifully wrote the explanation about the usage of horns from magical beasts.

"Let's not look threatening if somebody's coming then" Ghiso said "We don't know who could it be" shield strapped on but sword in its sheat, he advanced.
    "Oh, uhm, from where?"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Rose, not quite able to pick up on what Lana and Zarron apparently noticed and somewhat confused by their very different reactions, simply holds her halberd ready and looks around.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Perception check to try to determine who or what might be approaching - (1d20+1)[4]

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Taara was kind of in a daze for the past while. She stuck close to Lana and didn't really react to anyone, even the annoying other child among their number. Suddenly, Lana said she heard some people coming and she heard it too. She took Lana's hand and stood in front of her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Marching out from behind some trees you come face to face with the front ranks of a procession of marching soldiers that all have the same symbol of Brannulv on their scapulars as on the medallions that you got from the cultists.

They probably heard you as they heave their weapons drawn.

---

From Zarron's position he can see one familiar looking figure behind the front lines, the cultist that got away in the last fight.

Show
    Fog of war has been updated on the map.
    Probably want to roll initiative.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Initiative! (1d20+2)[3]

Lana gasped and reached for her shield, aghast at the attack. "But I didn't say I was ready!"
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Initiative
    (1d20+4)[10]

Zarron sinks back into his "bush", heart pumping in his chest. They are outnumbered this time, and although he's grown a bit stronger since last they met, the boy held no illusion that the lead warlock hadn't gained more power from her patron in the interim.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2021-12-31 at 06:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Rose took up a combat stance near the front.

Show
    Initiative: (1d20)[19]

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

"Wait a second!" Ghiso raised up his hands between the two groups "Before we stab each other to death like a group of maniacs, should we actually see if it's worth the trouble?" he asked "Some of my friends had reason to oppose your colleagues, but that doesn't mean we need to fight now"

Show
    Initiative just in case (1d20+3)[9]

Aaaand... I dunno if I need Persuasion for this or not (1d20+2)[16]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Imrin's gaze hardens as Ghiso reveals that these are some of the cultists that killed the miners. In a low voice "Surly you do not mean to parley with these murderers."

---

The ranks of cultist march forward a few more steps before coming to a halt. At first it seems like they might talk but when the leader of the group recognizes several of you she screams "IT IS THE BLASPHEMERS, KILL THEM!!!"

Show
    Initiative
    Rose: 19
    Imrin: 15
    Cultists: 13
    Zarron: 10
    Ghiso: 9
    Lana: 3

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Rose glances around, then begins whispering an old traditional blessing from her homeland. A gentle green light flows from her holy symbol and forms into a few small ethereal leaves on Ghiso, Taara and Lana.

Show
    Rose casts Bless. She does not move this turn.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron weaves a discordant squeal that he directs with vocal taunts towards the cultists. "It's the demon dog worshippers!"

Cutting Words (reaction): Reduce their initiative roll by (d6)[4]
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The half-elf, gulps, and mutters a short incantation whilst holding a small chip of mineral fished out from his makeshift component pouch. He's cast this spell once before to rousing success, but these enemies don't look as brittle as the animated objects he used it on. Still, it was important to take out as many of the small fry as possible, assuming there were any small fry.

"Age, tonitru. Concute inimicos meos!"

After doing so, the half-elf slides a few paces to the right, to put a real rock between himself and any projectiles the cultists may be wont to inflict on his delicate skin.

OOC:
    Action: Cast Shatter (sphere; 10 foot radius), as positioned in the map. DC14 CON save to halve (3d8)[12] thunder damage. Inorganic creatures have disadvantage; non-magical objects not carried nor worn also take damage.
    Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration to Ghiso. For the next 10 minutes, he can add 1d6 to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw after rolling the die but before knowing the result.
    Move north, 1 square.
    Now Playing

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

"If some of them killed your people it's right to exterminate all of them?" Ghiso unsheated his cold sword "Not that it matters at this point"

Advancing to the nearest cultist, he cut into them with the sword.
    "I don't know your reasons, but are you really willing to throw your lives away for no reason? You aren't defending something, nor do you gain from our death"

Show

Ghiso will advance to the nearest damaged cultist and use Booming Blade, hopefully stopping that one from moving past him.

To hit (1d20+5)[6]+(1d4)[2]
    (1d8+5)[12] magical slashing+(1d6)[4] cold damage

Bonus action... Not really.

If hit by an attack or if he fails a saving throw by little enough he'll use Arcane Deflection (either +2 to AC or +4 to a save) as a reaction.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Lana lifted a hand and a Beluga whale swimming in shimmering phantom water swam around in the middle of her friends. It splashed its tail, sending water into them all. The water swirled around them, waiting to intercept any attacks.
    Then Lana reached up toward the moon.
    "Nitfat, the moon doesn't just shine less brightly than the sun. It governs the tides, it keeps the water moving and flowing. And even when you can't see it in the sky because the sun outshines it... it's still there."
    "Let's give it a bit more light..." Lana muttered, and a shimmering, shifting blue light penetrated the clouds to blast down at her enemies.

Show
    Okay so
    Bear Spirit to give everyone 9 hp
    Then gonna Moonbeam. 5 foot radius so those four people who are clumped together in the middle are gonna need to make DC 13 con saves at the start of their turns to halve (2d10)[8] radiant damage.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Taara struggles to move and clutches her forehead before her expression drops and she charges forward without fear, seemingly. Two arms materialize over her shoulders, this time with the form matching her own arms. Her face doesn't change but it feels like a grin as she steps into the front lines and unleashes a flurry of punches into and through the many cultists. After the dull sounds rattle through the air, she takes a defensive stance.

Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[20]
    Roleplaying my slowness to start with some mental difficulty on Taara's part.
    Moving to AY09 I think.
    Bonus action: spending 1 Ki to summon the arms. Flurry: (2d4)[4] cultists within 10' of me must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or take this damage.
    Dodge action.
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Imrin looses an arrow at one of the cultists and lands a shot.

The cacophony of Zarron's magic causes two of the soldiers to drop.

Ghiso is barely able to hold onto his blade as he attacks and his quarry easily bats the blade aside with a shield.

The leader immediately sees through Zarron's illusion and retaliates with two bursts of eldritch energy.

Four of the cultists move out to try and outflank the adventurers.

Two approach Zarron, one of them commanding Zarron to Grovel.

The other two take shots at Lana and Imrin. Lana is hit with a firebolt while a crossbow bolt pings off of Imrin's armor.

Show
    End of round 1
    I am going to interpret Taara's comments as a held action until after the AOE's go off.
    Rolled a lot of nat 17, 18, and 19s this round.
    25 and 25 to hit, Zarron takes 14 damage and must make a DC 11 Wisdom save or fall prone and end his turn.
    22 to hit after disadvantage, Taara takes 3 damage.
    20 and 23 to hit, 1 miss, Ghiso takes 13 damage.
    22 to hit, Lana takes 5 damage.
    Imrin dealt 4 damage.

Initiative
    Taara: 20
    Rose: 19
    Imrin: 15
    Zarron: 10
    Ghiso: 9
    Cultists: 13 9
    Lana: 3
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2022-01-08 at 02:44 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

DC 11 WIS save
    (1d20+2)[11]

Zarron eats a pair of Eldritch Blasts and is momentarily stunned. A cultist tries to seize his mind, but the half-elf barely manages to hang on to his sanity. He reflexively backpedals towards a less exposed position, getting a spear jabbed into his abdomen for the trouble.

"It's only a flesh wound!" he jeers.

OOC: Triggered AOO. Cutting words on damage roll. 10 damage reduced to 8. Zarron's HP is 18/31.
    Move to BH11 (15 feet)
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2022-01-08 at 02:47 AM.
    Now Playing

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Age, t-t-tonitru. Concute inimicos m-meos!" he shouts, pointing at the closest clump of cultists as he beats a hasty retreat towards a more covered position.

OOC:
    Action: Shatter. DC14 CON save to halve (3d8)[12] thunder damage. Centered on AY12:AZ13, hitting cultist at AY11, AZ13, and BA13.
    Move: 15 feet further back, to put a tree between himself and any crossbows, fire bolts, and eldritch blasts.
    Now Playing

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Rose noticed Zarron flee from a pair of cultists to her right and seeing as they were likely intending to give chase, she moved in to intercept them. Taking a shortcut through some dense foliage in what was perhaps an attempt to surprise them she actually found herself between them rather than in front of them. Turning to the one that looked like they might be a spellcaster, she swung her halberd, then performed a manuever she'd practiced many times at the order; when pulling the head away again quickly swung the weapon around and attacked with the other end of the weapon.

Show
    Move to BD06 from BC10 through the foliage, 25 feet I believe? At least if it's difficult terrain.
    Regular halberd attack: (1d20+5)[12], if it hits it deals (1d10+3)[4] (if this roll is a 1 or 2, Great Weapon Fighting rerolls it to (1d10+3)[13])
    Then using Polearm Master for my bonus action; (1d20+5)[12] (Accidentally messed up the damage roll, rolling on discord instead; 1d4+3 [7])
    Both attacks on the red hood. If he falls on the first hit though I believe I can have the second whack target the other guy.
    Last edited by Fay; 2022-01-08 at 10:12 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing that three of the people she'd been going for were just fine staying in her moonbeam, Lana lifted her little shield to try and keep more fire away.

Show
    Pretty happy just keeping the moonbeam up. Dodge.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Ghiso, seeing that he still had most enemies in front of him, decided that the people in the back could handle themselves and stabbed somebody again.

Show

Going after the one that looks wounded the most, and Ghiso will try again to stab them.

(1d20+5)[25]+(1d4)[1]
    (1d8+5)[10]+(1d6)[2] slashing+cold, and Booming Blade will deal 1d8 more thunder damage if the target moves willingly.

EDIT: That's a total of 25 damage out of a crit!

Ghiso will sheate his sword at the end of the turn- if he takes elemental damage he will halve it with Absorb Elements, otherwise same defensive reaction as before.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2022-01-08 at 08:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Taara punches two enemies with her astral fists.

Show
    (1d20+6)[20] hit: (1d4+4)[5] force damage, crit: (1d4)[2]
    (1d20+6)[7] hit: (1d4+4)[8] force damage, crit: (1d4)[2]

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Taara lands a clean strike on the enemy to her right but misses the one on her left.

Rose tries to attack one of the cultists in red be he is just able to dodge both ends of the halberd.

Imrin drops the bow, draws a warhammer and runs over to help Rose landing a blow.

Zarron's spell knocks two of the cultists to the ground.

Ghiso beheads the cultist to his right.

The cultist in front of Ghiso takes two swings at him but misses both times.

The leader slings a fireball directly at Lana, it explodes setting the grass and trees on fire. Then seeing that most of her troops have already fallen she begins to back away from the fight.

Imrin manages to avoid taking the bulk of the damage.

One of the red hoods moved back behind a rock and shoots a firebolt at Taara landing a hit on the side of her head and burning off a large chunk of her hair.

With enemies on both sides Rose has a hard time defending herself as the red hood draws a sward and swings out while the other thrusts with a spear.

Show
    End of round 2
    All three cultist fail the save vs Shatter.
    Ghiso's crit triggers the instant death rule.
    Moonbeam kills one unconscious cultist, the other two fail their saves.
    Lana and Zarron need to save vs Fireball DC 14 damage:(9d6)[34]
    Zarron is now standing in flaming foliage.
    Crit on Taara for 6 damage.
    19, 22, and 22 to hit Rose for a total 15 damage.

Initiative
    Taara (AC 17): 20
    Rose (AC 16): 19
    Imrin (AC 16): 15
    Zarron (AC 15): 10
    Ghiso (AC 18): 9
    Cultists: 13 9 (Leader, Red Hoods, Second-in-command, Minions)
    Lana (AC 15): 3
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2022-01-19 at 09:21 PM.