New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [IC] The Cult of Brannulv, Chapter 2

Zarron's eyes grow wide and he immediately raises his open palms in an attempt to display nonaggression.

" I am not your enemy, sir. Please don't kill me."

It appears he is confused as to the source of the dwarf's sudden hostility.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Rose looks around confused. "May you at least enlighten us as to the reason for such hostility?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Ghiso jumped in front, shield up but without a sword.
    "Please, stay your hand- he's only a child and doesn't quite know what is good and what isn't. While I admit walking in wearing the mortal spoils of your kin is bad taste, he had no part in the murders happened here, but the opposite- he had a hand in giving them proper burial and in hunting down those who did murder your families or peers, if you aren't family. In fact, currently we are planning on finishing the survivors of that cult that harmed you and the people of the town" he tried.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Persuasion if needed (1d20+2)[10]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

"BAD TASTE! You clearly know nothing of our culture, this elf has no right to wear our crest. Remove it at once."

The dwarves still looks pissed, but it looks like they are not going to attack you at this moment.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Yes sir, I'm sorry, sir, I mean no disrespect sir. Is there anything I can do to make it right sir?" Zarron squeaks out as he cuts out the dwarven crest from the armor with his dagger and hands the patch to the dwarf.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2021-11-15 at 11:13 PM.
    Now Playing

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

The dwarf closes his eyes and breaths heavily a few times before taking his hand away from his weapon. The other dwarves relax a little.

"My apologies, this has been difficult for us. I take it that you were the ones that reported this to Kari in Qsen?"
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Ghiso nodded.
    "I was not with this group yet at the time, but these people" and he gestured to everybody but himself and Rose "Were the ones who found... The dwarves here and later found the cultists responsible. We're on our way to resume the hunt"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, and I’d be happy to go over your food and make sure it’s not infected!" Lana said.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron was, of course, the one who reported the incident to Kari Bluehammer. However, he could still feel the cold, scornful eyes of the dwarves, brimming with hatred and drilling holes into his body. Of course, it could be the drow's overactive imagination, but at the very least he is subdued and a bit sad at the defaced armor on his chest. While the others talk, he takes a stick and starts sketching potential personal insignias into the dirt.

(1d20+4)[22] : general DEX check for artistic ability. Add 1 to result if this falls under "sleight of hand".
    Now Playing

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

"I see, I am Thrakam of clan Bluehammer. Please tell me everything you know of what happened here. Imlin, come over here."

Another dwarf joins you while the rest go back to other tasks.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You do not have to write up all of the details, unless you want to type up several paragraphs in character. I just want to know what you tell Thrakam. Is there anything you decide leave out of your answers, or outright lie about?

Unless you left it in the chest I think one of you is sill carrying the key to the safe in the foreman's office.

---

Zarron's dirt doodles of provocatively arranged fruit are well done, but do nothing to improve relations in the tense situation.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

"As I wasn't here, I only know for sure that your people were killed by cultists- the others chased them to an underground lake, and defeated them with some stragglers running deeper into the valley" Ghiso offered.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I don't think Ghiso knows any compromising detail so he isn't gonna lie.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron steals glances at the new dwarf, trying to gauge if this Imrin is prone to fits of irrational rage if he hears things he doesn't like. Was he one of the dwarves who lifted a Warhammer to smite him?

Insight
    (1d20+4)[22]
    Now Playing

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Lana started talking about what happened in there to her knowledge.
    "It's been explained to me that these are mines. Mines are places where people dig into the earth because they've decided that some rocks are better than others and want to pretend they own them. These different rocks form for all sorts of reasons. Mostly pressure and materials. I believe the main difference is the color and sparklyness, which is nice, but the rocks don't like being disturbed and would like to be left alone please." She smiled through the explanation.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Thrakam looks at the odd ensemble of adventures, most seemingly incapable of even making eye contact, with a single eyebrow raised in befuddlement.

Thrakam and Imlin quietly exchange a few words in dwarvish while waiting for someone to volunteer some useful information.
    T: "I feel like I am dealing with a bunch of children."
    I: "I think they are children."
    T: "How can you tell? All elves look like children, they only ever have baby beards."
    I: "Most of them don't even have baby beards. They are probably children, and some of them don't look like elves."
    T: "Why would children be running around outside of the home-mine?"
    I: "Who knows, you cannot expect them to behave like dwarves."
    T: "That one sounds like they might have been eating the wrong mushrooms."

---

Zarron noticed that a minute ago all of the dwarves had reached for weapons.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Naturally, Ghiso and Lana joined after their battle with the cultists, so the onus was on himself and Taara-chan to smooth things over with the Bluehammers. Zarron understands this on a base level, but has kept quiet due to fear. However, getting slightly uncomfortable with the awkward silence, he looks plaintively towards the more-reasonable looking Imrin, and takes out the medallion of Brannulv that he was previously attuned to.

"Um, excuse me, sir. Do you recognize this?"

OOC:

I don't intend to roleplay the entire conversation, but here's my train of thought.

1. I'm asking first about their familiarity with the cult of Brannulv, and whether they know who the leader is.
    2. Next, Zarron will ask them how deep into the cave they already cleared (did the dwarves explore that deep?).
    3. Then he'll add the bit about looting the armory for helpful gear to navigate the cave.
    4. Next, he'll mention what the cultists did at the underground lake.
    5. Then he'll talk about opening the lockbox and using the ingots to create holy water to re-consecrate the waters.
    6. Then he'll say we used the portal scrolls to travel to Tamor Town to reconfirm the curse breaking, and then to Qsen to inform the next of kin.
    7. And then he'll ask Taara-chan to show them the map taken from the cultists, and ask if there are places worth investigating.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2021-11-19 at 01:50 AM.
    Now Playing

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Rose briefly speaks up, feeling that maybe she should at least explain why she's silent.

"My apologies, I joined this group very recently and was not involved last time they went through here so I don't believe I really have anything to add."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Thrakam answers Zarron's questions and listens to the explanation of what happened.

"I see. Considering the circumstances you are forgiven for trespassing and the theft of Bluehammer property. I am going to send Imlin with you to look into the actions of this cult."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Answers:
    - They know of Brannulv, but not the cult. They make superstitious hand signs to ward off evil when you flash the medallion.
    - These dwarves do not know how far their kin explored into the caves, they will have to search through the records in the office to find out.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron inwardly heaves a sigh of relief. He looks around to Lana and Taara-chan, and then to Rose and Ghiso. "S-shall we get started? We went to the tower already," he pokes at the map, " Let's look at the other marks closer to where we're at."
    Now Playing

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

"It will be great to have you along, Imlin!" Lana said. "Let's go!" Since Zarron had a map, she looked over his shoulder to read it. "I don't know what any of this means."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron looks at Lana and thinks for a bit before responding.

"The bad guys made this map. We think they might be, um... hiding in one of the places marked on the map. Maybe doing bad things," he tells the genasi.
    Now Playing

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"Right," she said. She pointed at the map. "And what's this mean?"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"It's, ahh, something that tells us where we are and that is around us. You know, just like a sea chart? I think we are right here," he points to the most likely location.
    Now Playing

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

"Never heard of a sea chart," Lana said. "We don't have paper where I come from. On account of being underwater."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Ahh, then how do you navigate underwater? What's stopping you from getting lost? There isn't a lot of landmarks down there, right?"
    Now Playing

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Rose looked over to Lana and Zarron's conversation.

"Which location should we go to first?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Um, good question. Which one's closest to here, Mr. Imrin sir?" he shows the dwarf the map.
    Now Playing

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

"If I get lost, I just ask the fairies for help, and they help me ask the fish where I am!" Lana said as if it were a normal thing.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron tries to mask the incredulity on his face. After all, fish have a memory of three seconds, or so he heard. It seems rather unlikely for fish to even know where they are.

Still, he nods and pretends to believe what Lana said. Deception: (1d20+5)[12]

"...I see. Must be nice having fairy friends..."
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2021-11-20 at 09:13 AM.
    Now Playing

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"I suggest we first reach the valley from the mine, then determine what's the closest one" Ghiso suggested. Since it seemed everything was settled, he resumed walking forward.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

According to the map the two closest marked locations are approximately equidistant from the tower. However you recall that the trail that leads down into the valley heads to the southeast.

You head through the caves, through the bat filled cavern, the spider territory, and get to the khatülgrobduraz (a bioluminescent cave fungus). Imrin recognizes the khatülgrobduraz immediately and helps you get through it safely by extinguishing all light. You feel that it must be getting close to night time outside.

Spoiler: DC 11 Insight
    Show
    While having some food and settling in for the night you notice Imrin trying to sneak glances at everyone.