New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 73: Holiday Rush

[Glass Lake Penitentiary]

"Well initially it was going to be just mundane stuff - helping me with laundry shift and such. I have some friends here who are looking to be released soon, I thought, if I showed her the ropes, she'd pick up after they left."

"But then she raised the possibility of getting a message to my wife. Yes, awkward, given what she was asking in return. Sort of sadistic, even."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Wandering the Streets

"Um, I didn't hear anything either." Not that anyone really asked Prumathe, but he's curious now and probably a bit cautious too. He didn't hear it, but he trusts Sekhmet.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Whisper on the Wind
    "Actually, I just wanted to see your reaction to the suggestion before deciding what to change." Lizzie cheekily replies. "You're really going to want a mirror after this one." Miranda didn't like the idea of being beautified, so that's what Lizzie will go with. Those clothes won't fit at all well anymore (and the tail is already causing problems) when she's done, but she doesn't have the presence in the physical world necessary to alter them.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

"Who are these friends? Have they been released already?" Michalson asks, focusing on this detail for some reason.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim’s Apartment

Jim blinks at the rat thing. He hadn't noticed any.
    ”Well, being allowed to have a bed is a nice thing. Do you know where you’re staying now?” Maybe with whoever broke her bonds? Jaahlyn seemed pretty hopeless about doing that so someone must have showed up with one heck of a solution.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2021-11-13 at 03:47 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, those are tough ones. "Hazel" did her best to scan the faces and name tags of people who interacted with the real Hazel, but they don't just roll of the tongue at a seconds notice. "Well there's Ellie, Jackie - she's the one hoping to be released - other Ellie... you know what? Just ask the cafeteria guards who I usually hang with. It's not like it matters, they had nothing to do with the whole thing." She smiles innocently at Michalson.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

That sets alarm bells ringing in Michalson's head. Are these friends even real?

"I'm afraid their relevance is for me to decide. Please give me a list and tell me whether or not I can still find them 'ere."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Jim’s Apartment

Jim blinks at the rat thing. He hadn't noticed any.
    ”Well, being allowed to have a bed is a nice thing. Do you know where you’re staying now?” Maybe with whoever broke her bonds? Jaahlyn seemed pretty hopeless about doing that so someone must have showed up with one heck of a solution.
    Jim’s Apartment

Rats are always where you least expect them to be.

"Ah, uhm, well I'm staying all over the place right now." Jaahlyn replies with an awkward, almost embarrassed chuckle. "I... need to collect some of my stuff and get an actual home. It will be soon too. Now that I can actually make money things can only look up for me, right? Imagine, actually getting paid in something other than favors." Her voice drops low as she suddenly seems more vulnerable than he's ever seen her before.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hazel" shrugs. "Well okay. To add to those before, there's also Mandy, Holly, Jiji and Nana. All safely behind bars. Then there's... what was her name... oh yeah, Agatha. Left a month ago or so. Does that suffice?"

For what it's worth, the people named are real, though "Hazel" is using nicknames for some of them - the two "Ellies" correspond to "Eleanor" and "Elizabeth", and "Mandy" is Amanda. Their alleged friendliness might not be. "Hazel" is banking on Reeverman reputation making them give answers suitable for her purposes, should they be questioned.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson writes down the names quickly and doesn't seem to consider for very long before he asks his next question.

"Did any of them meet the deceased before she died?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hazel" shrugs again. "Nana, Jiji and Mandy had lunch at the same time and had some table talk? Wouldn't really know beyond that. Didn't see this Bunny gal between lunch and exercise."

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Whisper on the Wind
    "Actually, I just wanted to see your reaction to the suggestion before deciding what to change." Lizzie cheekily replies. "You're really going to want a mirror after this one." Miranda didn't like the idea of being beautified, so that's what Lizzie will go with. Those clothes won't fit at all well anymore (and the tail is already causing problems) when she's done, but she doesn't have the presence in the physical world necessary to alter them.
    [Whisper on the Wind]

Miranda scowls as her clothing tightens conspicuously in a few choice areas, making it a little harder to keep running. Between her new hips and tail, she finds her current cut of cargo pants severely restrictive. She's going to have to make some alterations.

shrrrrrrip

...Make that removal.

Miranda tosses the ruined pants aside, at least able to get a little freedom of movement around her now-bare legs. Ugh. At least there isn't anyone around to see this.

For a moment, a she has a pang of minor guilt for littering with her ruined clothes, instinctually wanting to flush them in her Hotbox instead. But then she realizes it's better not to call a resource like that to Lizzie's attention and promptly goes on a brief mental tirade about how terrible today's ovens are.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Whisper on the Wind
    "Ah ha ha ha! A pity nobody's around to see that! They'd love to see what you've got! You look great now, a regular succubus! Ha ha ha ha!" Lizzie keeps laughing psychically. She's not worried about Miranda running off to become a hermit. Given enough time, she'll eventually take full control. But also, she knows that Miranda's friends, if they're true friends, will want to help her, even if, possibly especially if, she tries to push them away. If she mysteriously disappears, they'll probably come looking for her, and that suits Lizzie's purposes nicely.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #74

[Whisper on the Wind]

Miranda knows better.

Yes, Rose, Vlad, Klaus and Eun are her friends. Good friends, even. But they're also professionals. They know better than to come after her if she warns them to stay away. Lizzie won't be getting her mitts on any of them.

...Though Miranda wasn't so sure about her coworkers at GLoG. She's not as close to any of them, but they might still notice if she just stops showing up one day. Maybe they'll follow up on that. Maybe not. It's an uncertainty she's not too fond of.

As she runs, Miranda starts working on a new plan. Just running off somewhere and staying there, possibly killing herself in the process, wasn't a terribly practical option. It'd be something like burying nuclear waste in a random cave somewhere; she couldn't count on Lizzie not being a threat just because she's away from people for the moment. At some point, she's going to need to get her properly contained, and possibly disposed of.

She doesn't see any way to do that on her own. At some point, she'll have to draw someone else in. Without a reliable way to contain Lizzie, she'll need to make sure her volunteer both knows how to bind a demon and doesn't represent a "trade up" from Miranda herself; someone frail, more than likely, though she has a little leeway in that she's physically pretty hardy herself.

Unfortunately, she doesn't know anyone who is definitely like that. Maybe Doctor Geneva? That's a huge risk in of itself, though, given the existence of her kids. Maybe Miranda could set up some kind of notice at Trog's... without going in, or possibly even near the place.

She stops near the city limits, breathing heavily but still mostly fresh, leaning against a nearby building. Hopefully she's still alone; she doesn't want to screw someone else over accidentally. And she's still in her underwear and jacket, basically; not a good way to be found.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Whisper on the Wind
    Lizzie seems unconcerned with Miranda's plotting. She doesn't know these people or what they're capable of. But surely someone will notice the supernaturally beautified, not completely clothed woman with tail and horns if she tries to go back into town. That could cause some trouble.
    Last edited by bc56; 2021-11-14 at 03:38 PM.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Jim’s Apartment

Rats are always where you least expect them to be.

"Ah, uhm, well I'm staying all over the place right now." Jaahlyn replies with an awkward, almost embarrassed chuckle. "I... need to collect some of my stuff and get an actual home. It will be soon too. Now that I can actually make money things can only look up for me, right? Imagine, actually getting paid in something other than favors." Her voice drops low as she suddenly seems more vulnerable than he's ever seen her before.
    Jim's Apartment

"Well, if you need somewhere to stay for a while that's actually consistent my parents can hook you up for a bit. They rent out a couple of little places. This used to be one of them." he seems a little bit embarrassed, talking about his parent's money.
    "Of course, you're welcome here any time. It sounds like you're going to be doing pretty well for yourself."
    Jim wonders if she'll be able to put a sign up so that people know to save her stuff for her until her next body comes. Well, hopefully that won't be any time soon.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

More scribbling in the notebook.

"And how many people do you think witnessed the incident that led to her death?"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't rightly know. I had my own eyes closed when it happened. Tried to push the icky thing out of my mind. I guess anybody on the yeard could've seen it, but I don't know if they were paying attention."

19. - Top - End - #79

Whisper on the Wind
    Lizzie seems unconcerned with Miranda's plotting. She doesn't know these people or what they're capable of. But surely someone will notice the supernaturally beautified, not completely clothed woman with tail and horns if she tries to go back into town. That could cause some trouble.
    [Whisper on the Wind]

Lizzie might be more alarmed when Miranda finally decides what she's going to do; she's going to make her way back to GLoG. There's a powerful demoness there... a good one, though. The kind that would look out for children, and presumably other innocents. Maybe she could help Miranda out with her hitchhiker... if not deal with her directly, then at least give her more useful information so she can handle the situation herself.

It's a long way to GLoG, though. On foot, it's got to be a day, doesn't it? She'd better get walking.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson taps his notebook with his pencil. His mind is working quickly, but little of it shows on his face.

"Let's recap, then. The two of you met in the yard soon after she was admitted here. She offered to run errands for you in exchange for a kiss. When you kissed her, she passed out and died."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Late at Night, Deadwood Street Residential Zone- Interaction Wanted

There's a subdued flash of light and an old-fashioned van appears. It's a split-screen Bedford CA, painted duck-egg blue, with odd nodules mounted on the corners. It arrives a short distance above the road, and upside-down. It crashes to the boardwalk and lurches to a sudden stop. The left windscreen has shattered, though despite the apparent age of the vehicle, it seems to be modern tempered glass rather than the plate glass that would have originally been fitted. The doors are shut, though the driver manages to disengage their seatbelt and clamber into a position where they can push open the driver's side door, which is fitted on rollers not hinges. It slides back quite easily despite the awkward angle of being upside-down, and the driver gets out. They're a woman in their thirties, wearing a black jumpsuit with more strange nodules on it. A belt about her waist has a box with buttons on it, as well as a revolver and a large knife, plus other pouches. She has dark skin and black hair, though her eyes are green. She taps at a box on her waist, and suddenly she's not wearing a black jumpsuit, but a pair of denim jeans, a white blouse and a cowhide waistcoat, with a gunbelt at her waist for the revolver and knife. The box and other pouches are also disguised, as she looks around to get her bearings.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

[Glass Lake Penitentiary]]

"Hazel" frowns. "When she kissed me", she corrects, "other than that, yeah. Is that all?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Fenric's Quest]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Augh, biting this thing was a mistake; it looked deliciously smooth, but it's like a worse lemon instead! Awful. That mouth is for a moment busy spitting out specks of slime and melting teeth (quickly being replaced by new tooth, though).

Selekhael doesn't get an explanation, because Omiko is trying to get away from Selekhael, with her bones pulling one way and her skin pulling the other, and her claws extending themselves on reflex-
    The ooze tentacle should have no trouble wrapping her up. But she's just...not melting? Well, one of her metal arms is melting through on the bottom, and her clothing might dissolve, but the person herself is fine. Just a bit of tingling, like the agony-laced water.
    Hold on. These aren't normal feelings...
    Selekhael realizes that fear isn't the way to win here. She's losing a lot of flesh from being swarmed by these things. Quickly, she steps back out of reality and takes a brief fourth-dimensional jaunt over to near Omiko, just like any other normal barmaid could do (and definitely not an eldritch entity at all, nope) and, now that she's away from the slimes, takes a moment to heal her wounds, new flesh growing into the acid burns to replace what was destroyed. "Don't be frightened." She manages. Not quite a BE NOT AFRAID but hopefully it will calm Omiko down a little and help her get back in fighting shape.
    The ooze continues to hug Omiko - we did mention that "intelligence" is not one of it's better stats, right?

The moment Selekhael reappears, the little ones turn and swarm toward her.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-11-17 at 12:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

[Verdant Depths]

Considering how much has gone on, especially including all those attacks in the area, it is very likely that first responders are just now starting to show up. They might be busy with helping everyone else, but if Calm Reed wants to hand off the injured woman to someone, that's a very decent option.

"I suppose," the seriously-injured woman says. "I'll probably agree with you once the curse is gone."

She sighs audibly. Man, being carried out of that fight is definitely the most embarrassing way this could end.
    "Well, that was definitely the third-hardest fight I've been in. Luckily you were there, or it would've been second-hardest."

[Abandoned Hospital]

Out of all the trashlike parts, the buzzsaw seems like it might be possibly maybe useful, Carmen thinks. Buzzsaw seems like it might be capable of cutting through the robots.

And maybe the blueprint might be interesting too.
    Carmen goes to the buzzsaw and tries to figure out how portable/working it is. (It really is unfortunate that all the machines here in the Nexus run on electricity instead of lust energy. They're all so inconvenient.)

And, meanwhile, she glances at the blueprint, too, to see what it's about.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting that she puts such emphasis on who initiated the kiss. It might prove important. Or it might not. But Michalson hasn't got to where he is by not making note of such details.

"That will be all for now, yes. Thank you for your cooperation. Unless there's anything else you'd like me to know?"

[Verdant Depths]

"I have fought more formidable foes. But with more allies by my side. Though I must say your actions were both fearless and ingenious," the monk says as she hands Harley off to the medics. "I need to see if another Vigil member is still here. Will you be alright?"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hazel" looks pensive for a moment, then shakes her head. "Nah, can't think of anything." She looks around, in anticipation of someone coming to unshackle her from the table. "Have a nice day, Mister police elf."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm. Likewise." Assuming someone does arrive to uncuff Hazel and lead her back, Michalson will head to the yard next. He needs to see the place there the possible killing occurred.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Fenric's Quest]
    Selekhael realizes that fear isn't the way to win here. She's losing a lot of flesh from being swarmed by these things. Quickly, she steps back out of reality and takes a brief fourth-dimensional jaunt over to near Omiko, just like any other normal barmaid could do (and definitely not an eldritch entity at all, nope) and, now that she's away from the slimes, takes a moment to heal her wounds, new flesh growing into the acid burns to replace what was destroyed. "Don't be frightened." She manages. Not quite a BE NOT AFRAID but hopefully it will calm Omiko down a little and help her get back in fighting shape.

Whisper on the Wind
    Oh yes, this is perfect. Lizzie latches onto that unfulfilled desire and tries to exacerbate it. Miranda's never told him how she feels, has she? And she's constructed him into this perfect idol of a man in her mind. It's easy to sow doubt between those two ideas. If Miranda didn't already feel unworthy of him, she might now. And Lizzie won't offer to make her worthy. Not yet. But she's keeping that in her back pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    The ooze continues to hug Omiko - we did mention that "intelligence" is not one of it's better stats, right?

The moment Selekhael reappears, the little ones turn and swarm toward her.
    Omiko's emotional state suddenly lurches from unearthly fear to perfectly fine, leaving the little voice at the back of her head baffled and grumbling ineffectually about magic.

Oh, well, now that she's not panicking, it's obvious how to deal with the ooze.
    She stretches to get her vulnerable metal arm up out of the monster's hug, subvocalizes code instructions to the other parts of her. "P-Armor Nov, N-Vacuum, S-Seal", and grits her teeth.
    At this, a sort of widening funnel made of shell pokes up out of the fur over her stomach and starts trying to slurp the ooze away into a blank white extradimensional space. An intelligent being would have several ways to escape from the vacuum technique, but the ooze would have to act quickly and give up its food(!) to get out of the way.
    However, it won't do anything to a bunch of non-contiguous little slimes that aren't even touching Omiko.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-11-18 at 11:16 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Abandoned Hospital
    The buzzsaw seems to be in working order, but it needs a power source to run. Hopefully Carmen has one in mind, because, as noted, this does run on electricity, not lust.

Fenric's Quest
    Selekhael isn't super great at destroying large groups of enemies. Not without bringing the tunnel down around them, anyway. She releases instead a burst of temporal energy in an attempt to freeze the slimes in place while she thinks of a solution.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

"Hmm. Likewise." Assuming someone does arrive to uncuff Hazel and lead her back, Michalson will head to the yard next. He needs to see the place there the possible killing occurred.
    The yard is as it was when the suspected crime happened. Markers have been placed on and near the bench where Hazel was sitting when Bunny mysteriously passed away. No markers have been placed for other people who were present, but if he looks, he can deduce where people were standing based on their footprints. There might also be photos, if he asks.

There isn't all that much to be found here, unless Michalson has some paranormal trick up his sleeve. Mostly, he can tell Bunny got in the yard first, but didn't interact much with anyone else before Hazel arrived. The bench the two were on is not particularly prominently placed, but neither can it be called hidden - any number of people could've seen the event, but it doesn't seem like they were following Hazel or Bunny too closely before it happened. No plausible murder weapon or other out-of-place object is present on the scene. If this was indeed a murder, the means must still be on either Hazel's or Bunny's body.