New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 73: Holiday Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Jim's Apartment

"Well, if you need somewhere to stay for a while that's actually consistent my parents can hook you up for a bit. They rent out a couple of little places. This used to be one of them." he seems a little bit embarrassed, talking about his parent's money.
    "Of course, you're welcome here any time. It sounds like you're going to be doing pretty well for yourself."
    Jim wonders if she'll be able to put a sign up so that people know to save her stuff for her until her next body comes. Well, hopefully that won't be any time soon.
    Jim's Apartment

If Jim had started actually talking about her 'body' there would have been looks.

"I... shouldn't bother about stuff like that, Jim. You barely know me yet and-" Jaahlyn scratches herself behind the ear. "-have you told your parents about me?"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

[Glass Lake Penitentiary]

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    The yard is as it was when the suspected crime happened. Markers have been placed on and near the bench where Hazel was sitting when Bunny mysteriously passed away. No markers have been placed for other people who were present, but if he looks, he can deduce where people were standing based on their footprints. There might also be photos, if he asks.

There isn't all that much to be found here, unless Michalson has some paranormal trick up his sleeve. Mostly, he can tell Bunny got in the yard first, but didn't interact much with anyone else before Hazel arrived. The bench the two were on is not particularly prominently placed, but neither can it be called hidden - any number of people could've seen the event, but it doesn't seem like they were following Hazel or Bunny too closely before it happened. No plausible murder weapon or other out-of-place object is present on the scene. If this was indeed a murder, the means must still be on either Hazel's or Bunny's body.
    Everything seems to check out so far. Nothing Michalson can see here suggests Bunny didn't just fall off her bench right into the dead-book. Of course, bodies don't just do that (usually). Maybe Hazel didn't scrag her, but someone else might have. Unless there's another possibility that nothing points toward just yet.

The detective's next steps are to get the autopsy report. It ought to be finished by now and he can't proceed without knowing more.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim's Apartment

Jaahlyn had mentioned going through many selves over the years so Jim assumed that she reincarnates in some manner, though he doesn't know how it works (or that he's more or less correct).
    "I haven't told them, no. Should I have? They don't need to know everything about my life. But we help people who need it. That's the right thing to do. I know you enough to know you haven't been lying to me, so why can't we offer what we can?" Jim asks her, seemingly quite confused at her insistence he doesn't help.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

The autopsy report notes that the start of the procedure was delayed because resident forensic pathologist was not convinced the body was dead yet, and called in a doctor for second opinion. After confirming zero respiratory, cardiac and neurological activity, the procedure was continued. Apparently, the cause for the pathologist's reaction was near complete lack of normal signs of autolysis in the body - despite confirmed total lifelessness and apparent brain death, the body seemed to be in pristine condition, and autopsy further confirmed this. No clear cause of death was found - by all appearances, the deceased's vitals all just stopped in an instant. Further chemical analysis of the deceased's blood and internal tissues are still pending, but the pathologist is of the opinion that someone set this body up so that it could both be made lifeless and decay-proof on cue. What they have no idea of, is what said cue was.

There's a lot of additional information revealed by the autopsy, which isn't directly related to the case at hand, but might still catch Michalson's interest. Most notably, the autopsy found that Bunny had suffered and healed from many massive traumas, including lung and heart damage and severed limbs. Whoever she was before becoming a street criminal in Nexus, she must've had extremely skilled medical care to survive.

5. - Top - End - #95

Jim's Apartment

"Well if you-" Jaahlyn starts but then stops before really going anywhere.

Instead she closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. "...can I really stay here then? It might end up be a while." She gives him an apologetic smile.

Is there a couch? Since her gaze would be drawn to it.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

A body that just stopped functioning but exhibits no signs of decay? Something is afoot here. And it's entirely possible Hazel really has nothing to do with it - but if so, then who made Bunny drop "dead" like this and why is another question entirely. There's more information to wait for, so for now Michalson returns to the scene of her death. Once there, he rummages in one of his many pockets before retrieving a sealed bag of rice. He pours some of it on his hand and holds it out above the place where Bunny (possibly) died. If there are any lingering traces of dark magic, unquiet dead or similar effects or entitles, the rice will start to blacken and wither.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure enough, some rice grains wither - suggesting that, at minimum, the ghost of the deceased is not resting in peace. Typically, if a ghost is left behind by a tragic incident, whether dark magic is involved or not, said ghost lingers near the scene of death. But here, she or it is nowhere to be found, even if Michalson pulls out some device to scan the yard for spirits.

8. - Top - End - #98

[Kingstreet Heist]

The kingstreet is a shoping street where the locals go shopping their daily needs like grocery or getting the domestic appliances. The last one seems to be the target of this hest. A shop know for the latest tech in terms of better living. You know those automatic clean robots, dish waschers and other high tech that makes live easy. Early in the morning, when the shop is just opened and the people working there pilgrimage to their first coffee of the day, a group of armed people rush out of the sidestreets and storm into the building. Many people might recognize them immediatly. They are the famouse henchman from AMEN. They shoot down any guard, and block the entrance befor part of them starts to harvest chips from the devices sold in the shop and the rest keeps an eye open for the police or heroes.

In a near flat sits another man related to the henchman he holds a sniper rifle in hand ready to shoot any hero in the back if they just focus on the store. This man also seems to be the one in charge as he gives calls to the henchman inide. It should be really hard to detect him until he shoots. The owner of the flat are on vacation so none will bother him for now.

Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting, but not surprising. It doesn't eliminate the possibility of some kind of poison, but if the autopsy doesn't produce something to point in that direction, he'll assume some kind of supernatural event. Since he has to wait for further analysis, he will instead ask the prison staff to arrange questioning of Elizabeth, Mandy and Jackie. Let's see if interviewing Hazel's friends will get him any results.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim's Apartment

The couch is large, cushy, and brown. It looks worn but was probably expensive at some point.
    "Of course, Jaahlyn. As long as you're as pleasant a roommate as you are a date." Jim says with a wink. Though his face becomes mildly more serious for a moment.
    "And if you were serious about the rats, please don't let any in here."

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

Interesting, but not surprising. It doesn't eliminate the possibility of some kind of poison, but if the autopsy doesn't produce something to point in that direction, he'll assume some kind of supernatural event. Since he has to wait for further analysis, he will instead ask the prison staff to arrange questioning of Elizabeth, Mandy and Jackie. Let's see if interviewing Hazel's friends will get him any results.

Before going in to interview any of them, Michalson will receive a brief rundown on the significance of each of those names.

Elizabeth (or just "Ellie") is the self-proclaimed "toughest gal in the pen"; her relationship with Hazel seems to be one of mutual antagonism with undercurrents of grudging respect. The two butt heads often but are seldom at each other's throats.

Jackie is one of Hazel's closest "friends"; the two have been known to bail each other out of trouble with both the guards and other inmates. Hazel's played a significant role in getting Jackie's sentence reduced for good behavior, as a character witness; she's set to be out on parole by the end of the week.

And Mandy seems to be on the other end of the scale from Jackie; someone from whom Hazel frequently demands favors/tribute of sorts, for relatively little in exchange. She'll be shaking uncontrollably when she's brought in for interview; regardless of how this goes, Hazel will probably think she squealed on her and she's not looking forward to that.

In the interest of saving time, the warden will temporarily lend Michalson the use of the Montage Chamber; a single interviewing room with multiple interiors, each existing in a different point in space-time. This way, Michalson will be able to interview all three at once, but they won't hear each other's answers, nor will they be aware of any conspicuous time gaps between questions (unless Michalson wants them to be). All three of them will also see Michalson as being in the same room as them, and won't see him make any moves to address the others (again, unless he wants them to).

After the inmates are secured to their respective tables, the attending guard gives Michalson the go-ahead signal. The interview may begin whenever he's ready.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-11-22 at 03:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Jim's Apartment

"I'll try." Jaahlyn remarks with a nervous smile. "But- uh, yeah. I was serious about the rats but I didn't bring any with me. They're all... elsewhere now. Rats really aren't bad though, they're cute. Cleanly too. It's just that stories give them a bad reputation. Did you hear about that rat invasion in Riverside? It was all created just to make people kill more rats. Awful stuff." However awful she might have been feeling a moment ago it all seems to disappear when the topic is changed to rats.

She certainly seem... passionate about them.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim's Apartment

Jim is kind of struck by the swiftness at which Jaahlyn's mood seems to have swung.
    "Uh, yeah. Well the problem is that this is a no-pets apartment complex. So that's why we can't have animals in here." he explains simply. Not that he's going to go bad-mouthing what are clearly Jaahlyn's favorite kind of critters.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson will prepare a list of questions to the prisoners and ask the same ones of each of them. He does his best to make sure to remove all bias from his approach and receive information based on their own reactions.

1. Did you see Hazel on the day of the event?

2. Have you ever met Bunny?

3. Did Hazel and Bunny interact before?

4. Have other people been friends with Hazel and done favors for her but have since left prison or otherwise stopped interacting with her?

5. Has Hazel ever exhibited supernatural powers?

6. Has Hazel ever shared any plans or ambitions she has?

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

Michalson will prepare a list of questions to the prisoners and ask the same ones of each of them. He does his best to make sure to remove all bias from his approach and receive information based on their own reactions.

1. Did you see Hazel on the day of the event?

2. Have you ever met Bunny?

3. Did Hazel and Bunny interact before?

4. Have other people been friends with Hazel and done favors for her but have since left prison or otherwise stopped interacting with her?

5. Has Hazel ever exhibited supernatural powers?

6. Has Hazel ever shared any plans or ambitions she has?

Spoiler: Did you see Hazel on the day of the event?
    Show

"In passing, yeah. Think she was out in the yard at around the same time as me. Didn't see the actual kiss of death, though."

"Well, yeah. We had the same shower period. I kept a block clear for her, as per our usual. Always kind of surprised me she was so shy about that. Then again, she's got a wife, so... I dunno, maybe she just doesn't want the distractions. I never asked."

"Y-yeah. She stole some of my stuff that m-morning. Including my c-chocolate... I was saving that..."

Spoiler: Have you ever met Bunny?
    Show

"That the name of the lady who keeled over? No, not really. Saw her a few times that day, but I've never talked to her."

"Not properly, no. She sat with us at lunch, but that's about it. Didn't seem like anything special to me; just your standard tiny soon-to-be prison b-"

"We were cellmates. I think. She only showed up that morning. I, ah, offered her top bunk."

Spoiler: Did Hazel and Bunny interact before?
    Show

"I don't see how. Little runt arrived that morning, didn't she?"

"Not before that day. Hazel was giving her the welcome tour around lunch. Nice of her to take the little firecracker under her wing like that... even if she was probably going to end up another Mandy."

"I was with her all day before lunch. N-never actually saw her and H-Hazel together."

Spoiler: Have other people been friends with Hazel and done favors for her but have since left prison or otherwise stopped interacting with her?
    Show

"Stop doing favors for Reeverman? Ha! Tell me another one. You cross her, she messes with your clothes. And if you don't think that's bad, try going through a day with no underwear and some sandpaper trousers. It's not something anyone does twice."

"I'd be the first. I promised her I'd look into bailing her out once I left. I'm... not still sure I will. I knew she was nuts, but not snog-a-gal-to-death nuts."

"S-she never stops ask-king for favors, so I d-don't see h-how. I don't p-pay too much attention... she gets m-mad if I do."

Spoiler: Has Hazel ever exhibited supernatural powers?
    Show

"What are ya, stupid? Of course she didn't. You don't get tossed in Glass Lake if you have powers. You're a cop, you've seen some of the [curtained]-up [poop] supers get up to. You want to mix that with regular people? Yeah, I didn't think so."

"Not unless you count her ability to clean. No wonder she got assigned to laundry detail; even the guards have better linens these days."

"N-NO!

...S-sorry. I just... that's a scary thought, someone like her with magic powers. She's scary enough as an ordinary human person."

Spoiler: Has Hazel ever shared any plans or ambitions she has?
    Show

"Not to me. From what I hear, she wanted the same thing as most of us; get back out into the world and keep doing as she does. She was in for kidnapping, right? Girl must get some kind of thrill out of it."

"She's mentioned it to me a few times. She told me she works for some kind of government agency. I want to say it was RUM? Maybe BEER? Name was a drink of some kind. I sort of laughed it off. Crazy girl like her, no way she was a suit, and I don't think she'd be allowed to tell me if she was. Figured it was a euphemism and she didn't like being sober.

She also mentioned getting to see her wife. Her partner in crime, as it were. Never met the lady, but the way Hazel talks about her, she sounds like a treat. I never told her this, but I kinda hope she gets arrested... just to see what that couple actually looks like, you know?"

"N-no, not really... she seems pretty h-happy here, honestly. The girls here t-tended to do what she wanted. I think she might have t-trouble leaving. Hope she does, though... "
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Jim's Apartment

Jim is kind of struck by the swiftness at which Jaahlyn's mood seems to have swung.
    "Uh, yeah. Well the problem is that this is a no-pets apartment complex. So that's why we can't have animals in here." he explains simply. Not that he's going to go bad-mouthing what are clearly Jaahlyn's favorite kind of critters.
    Jim's Apartment

"Well, rats can find their way into those too, but usually not as pets." She remarks with a wink. "They're quite resourcful like that though few seems to appriciate it." She shakes her head as if dimissive of such thoughts.

The satyr then starts walking inside, curiously looking around in Jim's appartment. "But, ah, you got any rules if I'm to sleep here? It's a nice place. Shame to have me ruin it." That seems to have been a joke judging by her tone.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

No supernatural powers, but Bunny did somehow die after kissing her. Something doesn't add up here. Either Hazel possessed some powers that no one knew about, or it came from elsewhere. But if it did come from elsewhere, then it's still a security breach. He needs to wait for the full results of Bunny's autopsy and then properly examine Hazel. His personal tools might not be enough, but he'll try those first. But first he'll check back with the coroners to see if the analysis results are in.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Tissue analysis of the deceased is still pending and probably will for a while, but some new information has been gleaned from her blood samples. Based on some unusual chemicals in it, the analyzer expresses the opinion that it is artificial in origin - specifically made to stay good well after death and nearly universally donatable, at least as far as humans go. Again, very unusual for a random street criminal.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Whatever happened, it wasn't as simple as Hazel killing Bunny. Hazel just happening to kill a person whose body seems to have been carefully prepared? With supernatural powers no one knew she had? This is looking more and more like a setup, but by whom and for what purpose? Michalson calls his precinct and asks for his bag of tools to be brought over. He might not be able to handle this with what he has at hand. Once he receives it, he'll schedule another conversation with Hazel.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Later, after Michalson's equipment has arrived, the suspect finds herself face-to-face with the detective again, in the same room with the same set-up as before. "Hazel's" face shows a mix of confusion and worry. "What's this about?", she asks at first opportunity. "I know I don't have anything new to say."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Jim's Apartment

"Well, rats can find their way into those too, but usually not as pets." She remarks with a wink. "They're quite resourcful like that though few seems to appriciate it." She shakes her head as if dimissive of such thoughts.

The satyr then starts walking inside, curiously looking around in Jim's appartment. "But, ah, you got any rules if I'm to sleep here? It's a nice place. Shame to have me ruin it." That seems to have been a joke judging by her tone.
    Jim’s Apartment

”Well, if you keep up your random schedule I’m going to need you to keep quiet late night. I work week-days after all. And I might need you to take turns doing dishes if you’re going to be adding to me dirtying them.” He adds a wink to that himself.
    The decor is pretty uniform throughout the place. Greens and browns with plants and a small amount of wall decorations. Barnabas clearly keeps the place swept and vacuumed.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm quite aware. But I have some... tests to run, in light of newly-obtained information."

Michalson produces a handful of the same bag of rice and carefully pours it out on his hand, which he holds out in front of Hazel. Once again, if it's in presence of unquiet dead or death magic, the rice will blacken and wither.

23. - Top - End - #113

Jim's Apartment

Jaahlyn stops in her tracks as Jim mentions jobs. "Erm, about that. I've actually quit most of my jobs and taken time off from the others. But I wasn't really hired in any official sense in most of them so quitting is essentially just not showing up there anymore." And she wouldn't even feel bad about it in most cases.

"So I can probably take care of all the dishes if you want me to. I've actually worked as a maid so I have some experience with, ah, housekeeping."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim's Apartment

"Jaahlyn." Jim gives her an odd look, somewhere between sympathy and confusion.
    "I think you've been doing what other people want for long enough. Do me a favor and help out as much as you feel comfortable with, okay?" he asks her, gently putting a hand on her shoulder.

25. - Top - End - #115

Jim's Apartment

Her shoulders slump and she looks away as he grabs them. "...right, yes. Of course. I should relax. That's why I did this in the first place." She relaxes for a moment and looks back at him. "It was just... when I tried to figure out what to do while you were away it was the only thing I could think of."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hazel" tenses when Michalson pours out the rice. She stares at it intensely, frowning. When nothing happens in a while, she visibly deflates. The rice stays as it was this time. "Hazel" gives Michalson a look. "A test? What kind of a test is this supposed to be? Am I supposed to count those?" She nods at the rice. "I'm not a vampire, you know?"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim's Apartment

Jim tries to guide Jaahlyn over to the couch to sit down with him.
    "But isn't this what you wanted to be freed for? You've got all the time in the world now. You only have to keep the jobs you like doing. And you can sit down and get hobbies instead of working yourself until you pass out." And frankly, Jim is making an assumption that she sleeps at some point. It's very possible she doesn't. Fey, after all.
    "You already play an instrument. That's one."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"Why would I assume you are?" Michalson asks, withdrawing his hand and disposing of the rice in another container. "I haven't mentioned what I'm testing you for."

29. - Top - End - #119

Jim's Apartment

Jaahlyn sits down in the couch besides him and let's out a small sigh. "Coming up with hobbies is a lot harder than I thought it would be and even music is kind of my job isn't it? I performed for fey all the time for a while. The only thing I ever did while not working was- erm, I guess I should get a new hobby." She concedes.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hazel" seems taken aback by the question. "Well I have no idea why you'd assume that", she says hastily, "but it's a common superstition that a vampire is compelled to count all spilled grains of rice. What else would you be testing with those?" Maybe true, but why would she have gotten so tense upon seeing the rice, if that's all she knows about it?