New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 73: Holiday Rush

[Glass Lake Penitentiary]

"In which case I would have spilled the rice and you would have had no compulsion at all to count it. But you tensed up before I had a chance to spill it." Michalson's brain is working quickly but his words are measured. "Do you know of any other applications of rice?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Fenric's Quest]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Omiko's emotional state suddenly lurches from unearthly fear to perfectly fine, leaving the little voice at the back of her head baffled and grumbling ineffectually about magic.

Oh, well, now that she's not panicking, it's obvious how to deal with the ooze.
    She stretches to get her vulnerable metal arm up out of the monster's hug, subvocalizes code instructions to the other parts of her. "P-Armor Nov, N-Vacuum, S-Seal", and grits her teeth.
    At this, a sort of widening funnel made of shell pokes up out of the fur over her stomach and starts trying to slurp the ooze away into a blank white extradimensional space. An intelligent being would have several ways to escape from the vacuum technique, but the ooze would have to act quickly and give up its food(!) to get out of the way.
    However, it won't do anything to a bunch of non-contiguous little slimes that aren't even touching Omiko.
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Selekhael isn't super great at destroying large groups of enemies. Not without bringing the tunnel down around them, anyway. She releases instead a burst of temporal energy in an attempt to freeze the slimes in place while she thinks of a solution.
    The main ooze stubbornly hugs Omiko even as it is vacuumed away, utterly unwilling to relinquish a meal - food is so scarce down here! Omiko will have no trouble disposing of the bulk of the thing, only splitting off three little blobs that separate at the last moment.

Selekhael freezes the oozlet-swarm with no difficulty. They're almost cute in action figure form, and would probably sell well.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh damn, the elf noticed. Quick, distract him! "Yes. You cook it in a pot and eat it", "Hazel" snarks. "Or I guess you can chew it dry. Makes a nice, crunching sound. Or what did you have in mind?" In truth, it's mostly luck the rice didn't wither. The thing in Hazel's body, in addition to having a connection to Hazel's restless spirit wandering somewhere, has been in contact with various dead bodies and evil spirits in the past. Even she didn't know if she'd managed to shake off all those evil auras before Michalson poured the rice on his hand. She suspects Michalson spotted some trace of Hazel's ghost, using this method or some other, and that's why he's here now. Which is of course tremendously bad news for her, and she's tensing up again, trying to figure out how to mislead the good detective.
    Last edited by Vahnavoi; 2021-11-30 at 11:29 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Jim's Apartment

Jaahlyn sits down in the couch besides him and let's out a small sigh. "Coming up with hobbies is a lot harder than I thought it would be and even music is kind of my job isn't it? I performed for fey all the time for a while. The only thing I ever did while not working was- erm, I guess I should get a new hobby." She concedes.
    Jim's Apartment

Jim shrugs.
    "Well if nothing else you can sleep in from now on, right? Maybe you can make things. Join a band. Learn a sport. I dunno, you've got nothing but time, don't you?" he doesn't think that it's that pressing. What is when you're immortal?
    "You probably have a lot of books to read." he suggests.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Fenric's Quest]
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Selekhael isn't super great at destroying large groups of enemies. Not without bringing the tunnel down around them, anyway. She releases instead a burst of temporal energy in an attempt to freeze the slimes in place while she thinks of a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    The main ooze stubbornly hugs Omiko even as it is vacuumed away, utterly unwilling to relinquish a meal - food is so scarce down here! Omiko will have no trouble disposing of the bulk of the thing, only splitting off three little blobs that separate at the last moment.

Selekhael freezes the oozlet-swarm with no difficulty. They're almost cute in action figure form, and would probably sell well.
    The shell funnel swirls back away into Omiko's form, and her gun arm fires another destructive ray at one of the little blobs - the one nearest the wall. A fanged pseudopod sprouts from her hip and tries to bite a second. All of the rest of her is taking a moment to breathe, recover, appreciate not being covered in ooze, etc.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jim's Apartment

Jaahlyn shakes her head. "It's not really that simple, Jim. I've come to learn that time is what you perceive, what you remember. So it feels less like I have all the time in the world and more that I only have the time I remember." She didn't really feel satisfied with that explanation but she probably should dwell on it.

"...but hey, maybe I can follow you to work tomorrow? It's in Riverside right? Since I have some friends there I could hang out with."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim's Apartment

"But that doesn't mean you can't do things now. After all, if you do something brand new it'll be easier to remember, won't it?" he says with a nod.
    "But yeah, you can commute with me tomorrow. It's not like I do much on that front. It's mostly just a train ride." It tends to be a dull affair, if a colorful one thanks to Inside's crowd.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

8. - Top - End - #128

Jim's Apartment

That was probably a better way at looking at things.
    It was also a very pixie way of looking at things she suddenly realized. Perhaps those little buggers had more wisdom than she had given them credit for?

"Yeah, taken the train to Riverside a couple of times before myself. One of the benefits from working with MERC is that I can ride for free so it has been one of my few means of transportation actually." There's a longer pause as this topic of discussion already feels exhausted.

"But, uh, were you planning to anything special today?"

((We can probably assume this sort of questioning goes on for a little while as Jaahlyn seems almost allergic to there being any silence between them. We could even timeskip to the double-date scene with the next post.))
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-12-01 at 08:08 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129

[Abandoned Hospital]

Maybe if she had a half-hour or an hour, then Carmen could design a simple lust-to-electric converter that she could just turn on, but she doubts they will just let her sit around and draw one out.

Well, maybe she can think about it during downtimes. Maybe come up with a crude one that'll work in a pinch.

Pushing that to the back part of her mind, the half-succubus decides to carry it around anyway in case she gets random inspiration on what the conversion circuit should look like.

Carmen, with the unpowered saw, decides to leave the room and look into the next one.

[Verdant Depths]

"Anyone with a sword could do what I did," Harley says, downplaying the spatial slashes and the magnetic stuff and the fact that she did it all blindfolded...

She gets handed to the medics, and starts tapping on...whatever, to get a better picture of what's around.

"I'll be alright, you can go. Just a little anemic, I'm sure they'll let me go easily so they can focus on the more injured people."

So the monk can leave and go take care of whatever.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson looks at Hazel for a good long while, his mind working quickly once again. She's hiding something. But he can't really go through every item he has until he finds out what. There is one thing he could try... he picks up the phone to communicate with the outside of the interrogation room.

"Can you bring some of the accused's personal effects into the interrogation room?" he asks.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Said personal effects turn out to be a pile of mundane clothes: a black t-shirt, a pair of jeans, lace-up boots, some underwear. When seen by "Hazel", she looks at them as if she's critiquing her own taste. On the other hand, them being so unremarkable is a boon to her - she hasn't actually seen any of these items before, had they been something more exotic, her own surprise would've been even more revealing.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Leaving Trog's Tavern

Boada sets foot on the street and quickly walks away. She glances back several times to make sure she's not followed, before heading down an echo-y alleyway. She stops and starts several times, rather randomly, so if Yuvan isn't careful she might hear his footsteps echo. She's apparently paranoid enough to do this even if she doesn't think she's being followed, or else something else is going on.

Is Yuvan looking straight at Boada, or is he looking at her with his peripheral vision?
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Instead of asking questions, Michalson produces yet another device. It's a milky grey orb that he holds close to his eye as he examines both the clothes and Hazel. Its function is very simple - it reads auras. Not something the detective normally considers useful, but he has a reason for it now. The clothes should have a similar aura as the person who used them. If they don't... it means something is afoot. Something is affecting Hazel in some way.

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Leaving Trog's Tavern

Boada sets foot on the street and quickly walks away. She glances back several times to make sure she's not followed, before heading down an echo-y alleyway. She stops and starts several times, rather randomly, so if Yuvan isn't careful she might hear his footsteps echo. She's apparently paranoid enough to do this even if she doesn't think she's being followed, or else something else is going on.

Is Yuvan looking straight at Boada, or is he looking at her with his peripheral vision?
    [Leaving Trog's Tavern => Good and Gold]

Fortunately, Yuvan had the foresight to magically muffle his footsteps; heavy armor and stealth don't normally go together otherwise. He's in more danger of running into her directly when she stops than anything, but he gets the concept after the first couple of stops. Between that and the invisibility, he's mostly concealed from two senses... but only two. If Boada has any other way of percieving him, anything from a keen sense of smell to psychic abilities, then the game will be up. It's also a temporary measure; if he has to follow Boada for more than a minute or so, he'll have to cast those spells again, with all the flash and sound that comes with that.

But that's a minute away. For now, he's following Boada closely, about two or three strides behind her. And since he doesn't otherwise need to bother with concealing himself or appearing less suspicious, he's keeping a very close eye on her, not looking away for more than a second at a time.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Good and Gold (I like the implication Boada's good because Yuvan is an altmer and literally gold)

She does have other senses, but they aren't ones that I think Yuvan's likely to trigger. So Boada will continue down the alleyway until she arrives at a dead end, at which point she starts to shrink. It's quite rapid, she's getting quite a lot smaller very quickly. It'll take under thirty seconds for her to go from a hundred and twenty centimetres all the way down to just sixteen centimetres, at which point she'll walk to a lopsided gutter on the wall leading to the roof, aiming to reach it and clamber up the inside.

She's small now, and stood a bit too far away- her much shorter legs means she's moving a lot slower. Yuvan could probably catch her before she disappears up the gutter and is much harder to follow subtly.

16. - Top - End - #136

[Good and Gold]

That could be difficult to follow. Yuvan doesn't know any spells that would let him shrink to follow her... and even if he did, casting it would give away his presence. At the same time, he had little reason to detain the woman; she was acting suspicious, true, but so far she hadn't done anything wrong.

With that in mind, Yuvan climbs up onto a nearby windowsill and follows the gutter, climbing along until it opens out or leads into a building.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Good and Gold

The ring she bought with the faerie gold means it's hard to keep track of where she is in the pipe; she isn't making noise as she ascends. It takes her a while to get to the top, along the ladder hidden within the gutter, but it's to the top she's going. It might be a good idea for Yuvan to refresh his spells, if his mana has recovered.

Once she's on the roof, she'll walk along the gutter until she reaches the edge of the roof's slope, where she returns to her 'original' size of a hundred and twenty centimetres, and continues climbing up and over the roof. Then, she grips the peak of the roof and shuffles along without making much of a silhoutte- people on roofs, if spotted, tend to attract unwanted attention- to the next alleyway along, which has an old metal fire escape. She climbs down that, walks out of the alleyway and across the road, where she walks into another alleyway.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Fenric's Quest

Selekhael sweeps a ray of entropy from her pistol across the time-frozen slimes. Hopefully it won't cause them to split again. Or if it does, they'll be even smaller and hopefully easier to kill.
    But she doesn't have many other weapons that would have any effect on them.

Abandoned Hospital
    The door is, unfortunately, locked. However, one of the keys Carmen found will open it (I forget what it was labeled). Inside is a room full of files. Shelves upon shelves of manila folders in neat rows of cubbyholes, listed in by date. It looks like this is a record room.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

Instead of asking questions, Michalson produces yet another device. It's a milky grey orb that he holds close to his eye as he examines both the clothes and Hazel. Its function is very simple - it reads auras. Not something the detective normally considers useful, but he has a reason for it now. The clothes should have a similar aura as the person who used them. If they don't... it means something is afoot. Something is affecting Hazel in some way.
    Auras of clothes almost completely match with "Hazel's". Operative word being "almost". "Hazel's" aura has a light blue tinge that's absent from her personal effects.

For her part, "Hazel" wonders what the detective is doing. She hasn't seen an orb similar to this one abd so doesn't know what, exactly, it's for. She just follows Michalson's actions with a look of mild worry.

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Good and Gold

The ring she bought with the faerie gold means it's hard to keep track of where she is in the pipe; she isn't making noise as she ascends. It takes her a while to get to the top, along the ladder hidden within the gutter, but it's to the top she's going. It might be a good idea for Yuvan to refresh his spells, if his mana has recovered.

Once she's on the roof, she'll walk along the gutter until she reaches the edge of the roof's slope, where she returns to her 'original' size of a hundred and twenty centimetres, and continues climbing up and over the roof. Then, she grips the peak of the roof and shuffles along without making much of a silhoutte- people on roofs, if spotted, tend to attract unwanted attention- to the next alleyway along, which has an old metal fire escape. She climbs down that, walks out of the alleyway and across the road, where she walks into another alleyway.
    [Good and Gold]

That's far enough. It's clear by now to Yuvan that Boada intended to get far away as quickly as she can. As such, he doesn't deem it likely that she'll stop any time soon, unless someone stops her. Fortunately, now that they're far enough away from Trog's and its associated adventurers, that someone can be him.

The Altmer slips on his helmet and stops at the entrance to the alleyway, inhaling sharply in preparation to shout.

"TIID!"

The word of power echoes throughout the alley as time slows to a crawl for the dragonborn, and he sets up for his confrontation with the would-be thief.

When it starts again, Boada is going to find herself standing mere feet away from fhe rather intimidating sight of a high elf in spiked black armor, wreathed in flame and with that cruelly-spiked mace in hand. Behind her, the alley's exit is blocked off by a thick wall of fire, in which a pair of Flame Atronachs, elemental embodiments of fire, dance wickedly, waiting for their summoner's signal to attack.

"Did you think I wouldn't know what you gave me?" Yuvan demands, his heavy breath reverberating in his helmet. "You've committed crime against me. What say you in your defense?"
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-12-04 at 01:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Good and Gold

"I'd say I paid you fair an' square. You was more'n happy to take my gold. It weren't even enough to meet half-price, it was more quarter price. You took it, all of it, willingly. You accepted my price. There's no crime, not from me. You knew something was up when you took the money." Despite her words, Boada's actually quite scared. Fire behind her, a warrior before her... And she's unarmed, besides her magic- which works best when she's not the centre of attention, or when there's other distractions. He's followed her, so she knows she's got two sizes- and it is, unfortunately, only two sizes; she can't get bigger than this or stop halfway through growing/shrinking to get a midway size.

"What, you want the ring back? Fine. Take it. But I'll take my pouch back, and my name, too. You aren't keeping it." She pulls the ring off her finger and holds it out to Yuvan; if he takes it, even if he keeps the bag of what is probably now leaves, her name will disappear from his mind. He'll know she gave it to him, but he won't be able to remember it- and if someone else tells him her name, things will conspire to distract him at the right moment for him to not hear it. Someone will drop a glass, or a police car will go past with its siren blaring, or even he'll get distracted by something and tune out.

22. - Top - End - #142

[Good and Gold]

"...Fortunately for you, I am more curious than I am vindictive." Yuvan says, closing Boada's fingers back around the ring. He's not taking it back; he has a dozen more, and the means to make hundreds, so despite its nominal value, he's not exactly heartbroken about "losing money" over it. "You knew you were buying from a master enchanter. You can not possibly have believed I would not see through your ruse. Yet you took the risk anyway. And acquiring currency of this sort is disproportionately difficult, compared to stealing or earning an equivalent amount of conventional currency." He turns out the bag of leaves, letting them skitter off in the wind. "Quite a bit of trouble to go to, just to cheat someone. And quite a poor target you chose. These are the actions of the unintelligent or the desperate. So I must ask, which are you?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Good and Gold

"I knew I was buyin' from a geezer who said he was a master enchanter. There's a difference. I could claim to be Titania, Queen of the Faeries, won't make it true." She frowns as he claims finding fake gold like that was difficult. "You seriously think that? One of the local crime families are leprechauns. They can make that stuff last hours, I can only power it for minutes. There's a reason half the dives, fences, and hall-parlours in this city don't take gold. You know where to look, it's easy to get. That bag cost me three coppers, because I'm not about t' go around pullin' teeth from drunks." The Fairy Godfather usually deals in silver, for this reason, and most of the leprechauns working for his syndicate do too. They still make faerie gold, but usually sell it as such to people with the right contacts and heritage to use it.

She sighs, though, at the question. "Mostly desperate. Y'know the leprechauns I mentioned? I owe the Fairy Godfather money or services, an' what he wants of me I ain't gonna do."

24. - Top - End - #144

[Good and Gold]

"Geezer"? Yuvan frowns, though it's barely perceptible under his helmet. He's in the prime of his life, thank you!

All the same, Boada's story confirmed what he suspected, even if his reasons for doing so were a little less sound than he would have hoped. She's in trouble. Big trouble. And as a seasoned adventurer, he knew exactly how to respond to that.

"Tell me more." He says calmly, as the flames around his body and the alley entrance die down.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

Good & Gold

Boada didn't say 'old geezer', so there's that. In the UK, it just means 'man'. "I gotta pay a bit o' money to keep him off me back. Not much, but enough t' make it tricky, wi' rent an' food. It's that or he wants me t' wipe out th' pixie dust producers. I know where they are, see. I tried tellin' him where they are, so's he can send in mercs, but he just sends in his thugs an' these guys are used to fightin' small guys. But I can't pay you t' do it for me, they're dangerous people. Especially to those like me. They won't care I'm not a pixie, nor that I'm only half sprite. All the same to them." Boada doesn't even carry a knife, so she's really not going to be very good at taking out a factory's worth of drug runners and producers. "If they're dealt with, an' I can claim credit, I don't gotta pay the Fairy Godfather a bean until summer. He really don't like anyone who deals with the stuff." Pixie dust, in this case, is produced from real pixies. Or sprites, faeries, or other small fae.

26. - Top - End - #146

[Good & Gold]

"...I see." Yuvan begins, a scowl working its way onto what little of his face was visible under his helmet. "And this... Fairy Godfather. For what service do you pay him? Lodging? Security? 'Protection'?" To him, it was starting to sound like this whole situation could be simply and effectively remedied with a careful assassination... or intimidation, at least. He doubts this "Fairy Godfather" could stand up to a warrior-mage like himself, the sort who had averted three separate world-ending plots within the span of a month. Not many people could.

Of course, the Altmer reputation for hubris is hardly unearned. It's possible he would get in over his head if he went after this man.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Good & Gold

"Mostly it's protection, yeah." Not rent, as she mentioned that separately. "But he works hard against the people working for the pixie dust producers. They don't come near Toytown any more, where I stay. Whole host of others stay there, too. It's the best place for smaller people to stay, regardless of what they are. Sprites, like me, rats, gnomes, pictsies, all sorts." So for someone hunting pixies to turn into drugs, probably a good hunting ground.

28. - Top - End - #148

[Good & Gold]

Okay, so maybe a touch more legitimate than Yuvan first thought. He'd have to see it firsthand to determine how he's going to respond. Either way, he knows what his immediate response will be.

"...Very well. Show me these... pixie hunters." He says, shifting his mace to his belt.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-12-05 at 09:35 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    Auras of clothes almost completely match with "Hazel's". Operative word being "almost". "Hazel's" aura has a light blue tinge that's absent from her personal effects.

For her part, "Hazel" wonders what the detective is doing. She hasn't seen an orb similar to this one abd so doesn't know what, exactly, it's for. She just follows Michalson's actions with a look of mild worry.
    Subtle, but there. It doesn't cross out this line of inquiry, at least.

"You'll have to forgive all this juggling," he remarks. "But my investigation requires my collection of... equipment. It's an eclectic one." He retrieves another item from the bag. This one is a large, blue candle. "Move your hand close to this candle, please. Carefully, of course."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hazel" narrows her eyes skeptically. "You've completely lost me", she snarks, moving her hand close to the candle. "This better not be some weird excuse to torture me."