New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 73: Holiday Rush

Good & Gold

A crimelord demanding protection money and then actually providing protection is still a crimelord. Just one who tries to keep the people they're extorting alive so the extortion can continue.

Boada sighs with relief as the mace is put away. "They mostly stay outta Inside these days. Anyone the Godfather's thugs catch dealing pixie dust, first time they're beaten up. Second time they're beaten up an' dumped outside the nearest Intersection station, usually by faerie rings. I'm not fae enough to get one to work, I've tried. Their production place... It's not in the city, it's Outside. Very secure, I'd not get close without bein' detected. I'm fae enough for their wards an' mystic alarms. I could take you there, but I'm no fighter. Don't even carry a knife. Iron don't shrink." Fae and iron don't get along. It protects from most forms of fae magic, though sufficiently powerful fae can ignore its effects- unless it's cold-forged iron, which is quite tricky to get. Boada's likely to have a slight allergic reaction most iron objects, as well.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Good & Gold]

Yuvan nods. Secure compound full of baddies. That was about as simple as this situation could possibly be, and no matter how he chooses to handle the Godfather, the pixie dust dealers would have to go. Eliminating them personally should give him a certain rapport with... well, all the fae involved and then some, really.

"Very well. Take me to their lair. You and I are going to wipe them out." Naturally, he's bringing Boada along. He wants her to witness this firsthand... and he wants her involved in the fighting. As they say, kill a man's enemies, he's safe for a day. Teach him to kill his enemies, he's safe for a lifetime.

Something like that.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

Good & Gold

Boada sighs, her shoulders slump, but she puts the ring back on and heads Outside, to the Pixie Grinder's Compound.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

[Glass Lake Penitentiary]

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    "Hazel" narrows her eyes skeptically. "You've completely lost me", she snarks, moving her hand close to the candle. "This better not be some weird excuse to torture me."
    "I would never use, nor be allowed to use, any object that isn't entirely harmless to the person being examined." A rather rote reply, but an accurate one.

As Hazel's hand nears the candle, the wick suddenly starts burning with a blue flame. It's cold and even if Hazel were to touch it, she would feel nothing.

"Interesting. Have you felt anything unusual since the incident?" Michalson asks, as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening. "Emotional or psychological?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hazel" raises an eyebrow at the candle flame. She presumes it's another trick to sense presence of undead or something. She also presumes it wouldn't have lit up if it wasn't detecting something. Since the flame is blue, she suspects it's reacting to her spiritual power, but she has no idea what that tells to the detective opposite to her.

"Well a person died on my lap for no real reason", she says dryly, putting her hand away from the candle. "In a saner world, it would be a shrink asking me that, offering me trauma counsel or something. Instead of an elf doing odd voodoo crap."

6. - Top - End - #156

[Outside Krentist Dental]

Arthfael winces and rubs his jaw, cursing his bad luck. He thought he'd never, ever have to end up here, since his healing factor was so all-encompassing. No cavities. No tooth decay in general. If something happened and he chipped or lost a tooth, it'd grow back on its own.

He wasn't really counting on being brought in because he got something lodged between them. That's got to be, like, the dumbest reason to get in touch with a tooth doctor. And yet there he'd been, with a splinter of rabbit bone digging into his gums, held in place by his teeth where they'd regrown over it. Ow.

Arthfael sighs and steps out of the office, still massaging the part of his jaw where they'd operated. They were supposed to have given him painkillers, but apparently they didn't work on strigoi. At least it healed quickly; now it's just uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-12-07 at 10:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Krentist Dental

To Arthfael's immediate right as he exits the dentist's is a table for a pastry shop, upon which perches a very familiar gold-copper dragon munching a pastry next to a reddish, bunny-like creature with a large, V-shaped pair of ears and stubby limbs.
    The dragon fixes its gaze on Arthfael and tilts his head.
    Perhaps it recognizes him? He might recognize it, from Khannie's birthday party.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

8. - Top - End - #158

Arthfael raises an eyebrow. A pastry shop right next to a dentist's office? He can't tell if that's genius or moronic. He'll probably go with "moronic" if asked, just to be safe.

Hold on.

That dragon does look familiar. It was at Khannie's party, right?

Arthfael's head whips around as the possibility that Khannie might also be here enters into his mind. Thankfully, he doesn't see her around.

"Um... hey, little guy." He volunteers, stopping near the table. "Whatcha got there?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Krentist Dental

The dragon looks up at Arthfael quizzically. He takes another bite of the chocolate pastry, daintily wiping his mouth with a wing. He blinks, tilting his head up like a dog looking cute.
    Of course, Arthfael might remember the various dragons at Khannie's party talking, including the small ones. So he would likely be able to gather that the dragon is mocking him.
    Unless of course he was so much of a skeptic that he would assume that Zebes and Maridia talking was an elaborate prank by Khannie's illusions to characterize her family pets.

10. - Top - End - #160

Arthfael watches the display, seeing it more as an amusing coincidence than anything. The dragon was reminding him of one of those "animals are hilarious" videos he'd seen on MagTube. He stifles a little chuckle and goes to sit down nearby, only to realize there's not a third chair at this table.

Well, he can fix that, right?

Arthfael feels for the stone in his pocket, confirming its presence before he attempts anything. Okay, chair, chair... what would he need for a chair? Materials and... and something. How did his teacher put it? "You've got to make it want it"? Great. How was he supposed to convince anything it wanted to be a chair? That was a dumb idea. He felt a little stupid for even considering it.

Arthfael stumbles as the sidewalk under him starts sagging, the part where Arthfael was standing sinking into the ground and letting him trip forward, landing face-first on the ground.

Ugh.

"Uuuuugh." Arthfael groans, sitting up. "At least Khannie's not here to see me make an ass of myself. That incident at the party was bad enough."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Krentist Dental

The two critters seem to find it deeply amusing as Arthfael fall over.
    "From the way she talks about you, it sounds like you do that around her all the time. Have you ever considered a kind of magic that doesn't make the universe hate you, kid?" asks the dragon in a voice that probably isn't as high-pitched as Arthfael might expect even if he thought the dragon could talk.

12. - Top - End - #162

Arthfael shoots up and looks around, mortified that someone might have actually seen that. But there aren't any people talking to him, so... was he hearing things?

Wait, no, the dragon's staring at him again.

Are dragons intelligent here? He can never remember.

"...Um... no?" He tries, watching the creature to see if his suspicions were correct.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Krentist Dental

The dragon tilts his head, as if raising an eyebrow.
    "Well. I mean I wasn't expecting an answer that flat. Maybe you should? Khannie figured out basic wizardry in a matter of weeks on top of her sorcery, which she's gotten to inventing her own spells in just a few years. And here you are, falling on your butt every time I catch a whiff of magic from you. It smells like someone tried taking a shortcut to me." The dragon gulps down the last bite of his pastry, staring down at the fallen strigoi.

14. - Top - End - #164

"Shortcut? What do you..." Arthfael goes to stand, but the sidewalk balloons out under him again, causing him to land flat on his face. "Oof!"

He then takes a different approach and just rolls over onto his back, looking up at the dragon that way.

"I'm not taking a shortcut." He insists. "B- my tutor tells me this is normal for this kind of magic. There's a long, slow period in the beginning where everything seems stupid hard and nothing makes sense and even trying blows up in your face. But with practice, it should all click eventually."

The ground wobbles slightly, but then freezes again, leaving a wavy patten in the concrete where Arthfael's magical mishap affected it, but otherwise going back to normal.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-12-07 at 02:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Krentist Dental

"B- you mean the creepy guy?" That guy did say he had students, and was also creepy, and the two of them showed up unannounced at Khannie's party.
    "You're telling me that you care about what my niece thinks of you, while taking lessons from literally one of the people she hates most in the entire Nexus?" Zebes asks incredulously. So far Braeg is basically the only person that incites Khannie to actual throwing-stuff violence on sight. She doesn't even do that for the school bullies.

"You could always you know, learn a magic that's a lot like everything you just said except the 'blows up in your face' part. There's a lot of those."

16. - Top - End - #166

"Well... yeah." Arthfael replies, rubbing at his arm nervously. "I mean, he's not so bad, really. I don't know what he said that ticked Khannie off so much, but he seems nice enough to me. And the stuff he can do with this kind of magic... I dunno if there's anything else around here that actually comes close. It seems like a waste to drop it just because I'm not doing so well at it right now." He looks down at the ripples on the sidewalk and sighs.

"Also? He's been a really good teacher. Supportive, encouraging, knowledgeable, honest, at least as far as I can tell." Arthfael adds. "So, really, I... think I'm good, thanks. Just please don't tell Khannie who I'm getting lessons from. She'll probably hate me if she ever finds out."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-12-08 at 12:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Krentist Dental

Zebes grimaces. "Well, I'm still cleaning the grease from my ears for listening to him for five minutes but hey, you know him better than me. Just don't end up like certain teenagers I know who lost their souls because they trusted the wrong smiling 'friend.' And no, I'm not being facetious: it happened." Zebes shrugs his wings. He's very good at hiding anxiety.
    "But buddy, I got bad news for you. Dude showed up at Khannie's party unannounced just to screw with her. I won't tell her, but there's nothing I can do to stop him if he feels like telling her.
    Also? I don't think she likes you very much. I saw her face when you walked in, buddy."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    "Hazel" raises an eyebrow at the candle flame. She presumes it's another trick to sense presence of undead or something. She also presumes it wouldn't have lit up if it wasn't detecting something. Since the flame is blue, she suspects it's reacting to her spiritual power, but she has no idea what that tells to the detective opposite to her.

"Well a person died on my lap for no real reason", she says dryly, putting her hand away from the candle. "In a saner world, it would be a shrink asking me that, offering me trauma counsel or something. Instead of an elf doing odd voodoo crap."
    Some form of possession is happening here. Did someone or something hop from Bunny's body to Hazel's? Or is it something else? He might be able to find out, if he's clever about it.

"I have reason to suspect you might be under supernatural influence and I'm trying to narrow down some possibilities. It might or might not be relevant to the case. It might even be... something you caught from the incident that earned you your sentence here. Could you remind me how that went?"
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-12-08 at 06:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

[Abandoned Hospital]

It's rather fortunate that Carmen managed to keep the keys secure.

She enters the record room, and (if possible) locks the door from the inside: she doesn't need something intruding on her while she has a moment of rest.

She sets down the nonfunctional saw on the ground by the door – having both her hands free seems like a good idea, at least until she figures a way to 'hotwire' it to work on lust energy.

Carmen then (quietly! Her robo-stun attack hasn't had enough time to recharge yet) looks through the shelves and folders. She hopes on of them will happen to have a map or clues on how to get out, or a very convenient weakness, or the location of the robots' off switch, or. . .at the very least, maybe the most recently-dated file will tell her what happened here.

Even if there's nothing useful here, at the very least she hopes she can find a working pen and blank paper. Then she could use it to maybe figure out the right magic conversion circuit.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-12-08 at 07:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Well the detective isn't wrong. "Hazel" can't think of anything simple to throw him off the track. "Well I tried to kidnap a dude and failed. I don't see how that's relevant. Unless you're telling me they had supernatural powers or something. What does that even mean around these part? Supernatural, I mean. 'Cause you already checked I'm not a vampire."

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Outside Krentist Dental

Zebes grimaces. "Well, I'm still cleaning the grease from my ears for listening to him for five minutes but hey, you know him better than me. Just don't end up like certain teenagers I know who lost their souls because they trusted the wrong smiling 'friend.' And no, I'm not being facetious: it happened." Zebes shrugs his wings. He's very good at hiding anxiety.
    "But buddy, I got bad news for you. Dude showed up at Khannie's party unannounced just to screw with her. I won't tell her, but there's nothing I can do to stop him if he feels like telling her.
    Also? I don't think she likes you very much. I saw her face when you walked in, buddy."

Arthfael looks momentarily furious, but soon sinks into a resigned sigh. "...Yeah, I know." He says finally. "I saw it, too." Of course Khannie didn't like him. She's really super cool and he's... not.

"...You're around her when I'm not." Arthfael lifts his head again to look the dragon in the eye. "Does she ever talk about me? You know, like... I dunno, as someone she knows from GLoG or something?"

He's not sure which answer he's hoping for. A "no" means she doesn't much care about him, which would be awful. But a "yes" hardly precludes her talking about him in a bad way... and while apathy is bad, boldfaced contempt would be worse.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Krentist Dental

"Nope, she mostly talks about kids if they're friends or people she hates a lot." Zebes announces, trying to include that last part to cushion the blow.
    "Do you wanna know what I think, based on my cursory experience with the two of you being in the same room? You seem the type to try too hard. Khannie doesn't wear her heart on her sleeve, she wears a giant novelty shirt with it printed in sequins and waves it in your face if you don't notice the first time. She's not gonna take to what boys your age think is cool. But I mean like, she waved to you and stuff. It's not like she hates you or anything. Try being more open with her. She's not dumb but she's also not gonna get that you think she's rad if you don't tell her to her face."
    You can do it, Arthfael. Just go up and see something Khannie does and say THAT'S RAD.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

"Did the man you tried to kidnap look like an ordinary human, then?" Michalson asks. A simple question, but how Hazel answers will determine a lot.
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-12-10 at 03:44 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

24. - Top - End - #174

Outside Krentist Dental

"Nope, she mostly talks about kids if they're friends or people she hates a lot." Zebes announces, trying to include that last part to cushion the blow.
    "Do you wanna know what I think, based on my cursory experience with the two of you being in the same room? You seem the type to try too hard. Khannie doesn't wear her heart on her sleeve, she wears a giant novelty shirt with it printed in sequins and waves it in your face if you don't notice the first time. She's not gonna take to what boys your age think is cool. But I mean like, she waved to you and stuff. It's not like she hates you or anything. Try being more open with her. She's not dumb but she's also not gonna get that you think she's rad if you don't tell her to her face."
    You can do it, Arthfael. Just go up and see something Khannie does and say THAT'S RAD.

Again, Arthfael wasn't really sure what he was hoping to hear...

But that definitely wasn't it.

"Right. Tell her to her face that I... yeah, sure, that'll be easy. Why didn't I think of that." Arthfael snarks, resting against the table.

Why was that the only advice anyone ever had for him? "Just be more confident!" Yeah, like it's that simple. Braeg would tell him that, Kyrie would tell him that, now Zebes is telling him that, but it was just as vague and unhelpful every damn time.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Krentist Dental

Zebes steps off of the table, catching the mesh of its surface with his tail so he can hang directly in front of Arthfael's face.
    "See right there, that's the teenager talking. You're thinking that you can't just walk up and say a six word sentence to her face. That it's more complicated than that. You have to go around and be as subtle as possible because otherwise everything will explode in your face and she'll hate you forever. That's not how my niece works. That stuff annoys her.
    For my niece, your best option is literally to just walk up and be as blunt as possible. Take it from someone who accidentally pushed her towards making an absolutely terrible decision by not communicating properly.
    Just. Talk. To. Her."

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    [Kingstreet Heist]

The kingstreet is a shoping street where the locals go shopping their daily needs like grocery or getting the domestic appliances. The last one seems to be the target of this hest. A shop know for the latest tech in terms of better living. You know those automatic clean robots, dish waschers and other high tech that makes live easy. Early in the morning, when the shop is just opened and the people working there pilgrimage to their first coffee of the day, a group of armed people rush out of the sidestreets and storm into the building. Many people might recognize them immediatly. They are the famouse henchman from AMEN. They shoot down any guard, and block the entrance befor part of them starts to harvest chips from the devices sold in the shop and the rest keeps an eye open for the police or heroes.

In a near flat sits another man related to the henchman he holds a sniper rifle in hand ready to shoot any hero in the back if they just focus on the store. This man also seems to be the one in charge as he gives calls to the henchman inide. It should be really hard to detect him until he shoots. The owner of the flat are on vacation so none will bother him for now.

[Kingstreet Heist]

Without a hero or any bigger force to appear, the henchman seem to succed in their heist. The number of casualties was low, just a few ambitious policeman and security got shot by the henchman while they lost one. Loosing a henchman is really nothing to mention since they can clone them anyway. It only makes the transport of the chips a bit harder since there are 2 hands missing. The henchman escape the building and head for the prepared drill tanks which they parked in the sidestreet.

The sniper in the opposing building also prepares to leave. It seems like today was either lucky or maybe something else is going on that distracts others. Well the plan for some chaos goes on.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

27. - Top - End - #177

Outside Krentist Dental

Zebes steps off of the table, catching the mesh of its surface with his tail so he can hang directly in front of Arthfael's face.
    "See right there, that's the teenager talking. You're thinking that you can't just walk up and say a six word sentence to her face. That it's more complicated than that. You have to go around and be as subtle as possible because otherwise everything will explode in your face and she'll hate you forever. That's not how my niece works. That stuff annoys her.
    For my niece, your best option is literally to just walk up and be as blunt as possible. Take it from someone who accidentally pushed her towards making an absolutely terrible decision by not communicating properly.
    Just. Talk. To. Her."

Arthfael swallows nervously as the dragon literally gets up in his face and gives him a lecture about being forthright. In direct response to this, some of the muffins still on the table will make a break for it, "running" as far and fast from Zebes as they can... which isn't particularly impressive in either case.

"Okay, okay, I'll tell her! Geez!" Arthfael throws up his hands defensively, as though he expects Zebes to start biting him. He's not the slightest bit comfortable with this. He barely knows this guy and Khannie is something of an... awkward subject for him. Not bad, just... awkward.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Krentist Dental

The bunny on the table sighs and with a pop! is replaced by the familiar shape of Khannie's father, dressed in his usual casual clothes. The man bends down to pick up Zebes and place him firmly upon his shoulder.
    "You must forgive him. He's a telepath and that's prevented him from ever really developing a sense of boundaries. You need help getting up?" Jace asks, noting that Arthfael is still sitting down.

29. - Top - End - #179

J-J-JACE?!

Arthfael hurriedly pulls himself to his feet, stepping back again from the newly-unveiled... wizard? Khannie didn't go into detail, not that he remembered. And really, that doesn't mean nearly as much as the fact that he's still Khannie's father, and therefore likely the only person who could unnerve him in quite the same way Khannie did.

"I'm good, thanks." He mumbles quickly, stepping back to get a little breathing room. "I, erm... I should get going." He's trying to worm his way out of what would probably be an even more awkward conversation, but Jace might not necessarily put up with that. Or he might. Up to him, really.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Krentist Dental

Jace smiles but he does seem to roll his eyes just a bit.
    "I don't bite, kid. And I'm not going to judge you for stammering. Or enchanting everyone's muffins, though the store-owners might. I used to make glassware explode when I was upset at your age. Just take a deep breath and relax, okay?" He doesn't approach Arthfael, though he does stand up from the table before his weight breaks it.