Dwarf in the Playground

Default Earth Naga

Edited to correct the tag...

Earth Naga
    Large Aberration
    Hit Dice: 9d8+ 36 (77 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), Burrow 40 ft, Earth Glide 15 ft
    Armor Class: 20, touch 11, flat-footed 18 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +9 natural)
    Base Attack/Grapple: 6/11
    Attack: bite +11 (1d8+4)
    Full Attack: bite +11 (1d8+4)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spells, Spit
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Tremor sense 60 ft,
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 16
    Skills: Bluff +12, Concentration +16, Intimidate +15, Listen +18, Spellcraft +14, Survival +16
    Feats: Alertness, Combat Casting, Eschew MaterialsB, Lightning Reflexes, Track
    Environment: Temperate Desert or Underground
    Organization: Solitary or nest (2–4)
    Challenge Rating: 8
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
    Advancement: 10–13 HD (Large); 14–26 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment:

Earth naga speak Common and Terran.

Earth Glide (Ex): An earth naga can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing earth naga flings the naga back 30 feet, stun stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.

Spells: Earth nagas cast spells as 7th-level sorcerers, and can also cast spells from the cleric spell list and from the Cavern and Hunt domains. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a spirit naga, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them. Typical Spells Known (6/7/7/5; save DC 13 + spell level): 0—cure minor wounds, daze, dancing lights, inflict minor wounds, mage hand, open/close, read magic; 1st— endure elements, expeditious retreat, hide from animals, magic missile, ray of enfeeblement; 2nd—cat’s grace, invisibility, acid arrow; 3rd— snare, invisibility purge.

Spit: In place of the poison possessed by other naga, earth naga have the ability to spit a petrification fluid up to 30 feet as a standard action. This is a ranged touch attack with no range increment. Opponents hit by this attack must succeed a DC 18 Fort Save or suffer the affects of the Flesh to Stone Spell.
    Last edited by Ranged Ranger; 2021-11-11 at 11:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Earth Naga

Not a bad start at all. It needs a little tweaking.

Sandswim isn't a standard movement; it should be burrow speed. Creatures that burrow don't suffocate while burrowing. You could just lose Sandswim altogether and just add all the description under Earth Glide.

Base Attack and Grapple are both missing + signs. For creatures with only one attack it uses 1 and 1/2 Str bonus on attacks. BAB +6 plus -1 size penalty plus 1 and 1/2 Str modifier 6 = 11. Attack is +11 not +9.
    Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d8+4)
    Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d8+4)

The B in Eschew Materials feat should be superscript i.e. B

Advancement should be 10-13 HD (Large); 14-26 HD (Huge). Creatures normally gain a size when they double their HD.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2021-11-10 at 03:35 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranged Ranger View Post
    Earth Glide (Ex): An earth naga can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing earth elemental flings the elemental back 30 feet, stun stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.
    You might want to purge those references to elementals.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Not a bad start at all. It needs a little tweaking.

Sandswim isn't a standard movement; it should be burrow speed. Creatures that burrow don't suffocate while burrowing. You could just lose Sandswim altogether and just add all the description under Earth Glide.

Base Attack and Grapple are both missing + signs. For creatures with only one attack it uses 1 and 1/2 Str bonus on attacks. BAB +6 plus -1 size penalty plus 1 and 1/2 Str modifier 6 = 11. Attack is +11 not +9.
    Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d8+4)
    Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d8+4)

The B in Eschew Materials feat should be superscript i.e. B

Advancement should be 10-13 HD (Large); 14-26 HD (Huge). Creatures normally gain a size when they double their HD.
    Thanks for the corrections... I thought for sure that the book used subscripts, but I didn't bother to check....
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    You might want to purge those references to elementals.
    Fixed. Thanks.

The way, does the CR seem reasonable?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranged Ranger View Post
    The way, does the CR seem reasonable?
    I use this for calculating CR:
    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    When you are trying to figure out CR, Vorpal Tribble's CR Estimator is what I recommend. It's not an exact science but it can give you a rough estimate.

#1. Divide creature's average HP by 4.5 to 6.5.
    4.5 for 5 HD or lower, 5 for 6-10 HD, 5.5 for 11-15 HD, 6 for 16-20 HD., 6.5 for 20-25 HD.

#2. Add 1 for each five points above 10 its AC is, subtracting 1 for every 5 below.

#3. Add 1 for each special attack (+2 to +5 or more if it has a decent number of spells in its spell-like abilities).

#4. Add 1 for each quality unless you deem it worthy of more. Add 1 for each resistance and 10 points of DR it has, and 2 for each immunity. Subtract 1 for each vulnerability.

#5. Add 1 for every two bonus feats it has.

#6. Divide total by 3. This should be its rough CR.
    By my calculations, this would give you an 8.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

You gave that thread the D&D 3.X class tag.
    This creature is not a class because it is missing a non _ level adjustment.
    I suggest you either give it a level adjustment or change the tag of the thread.
    (any creature with a level adjustment that is not _ is a class thanks to savage species.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

What's the point of both Earth Glide and Sand Swim? They seem duplicative. unless you mean that they get to move full speed in packed earth regardless of armor/encumbrance, but they slow way down in sand?

why would they put "Meld into Stone" in their high level spell slot? They get better than that just from Earth Glide.

I would add a "once you save vs the petrification spit once, you don't have to save again for a day" language to the spit attack or they will just spam spit at people until they fail their save.
    Last edited by Wintermoot; 2021-11-11 at 03:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I would probably pump up the CR to 9. It can surprise a party fairly easily with invisibility + earth glide and can get off spits without really being attacked and can harass the party very easily with it's spellcasting and stone spit. A level 6-8 party is very unlikely to have the ability to recover a PC turned to stone and it's effectively like giving a CR 8 monster a 6th level spell at will (With some drawbacks but still). CR 9 seems more appropriate IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.