New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Anyone remember "Powers of Ten"?

Once upon a time, many, many years ago, in the dim and distant past (aka 1977), IBM released an educational film Powers of Ten, by Charles and Ray Eames. Some of our older playgrounders may remember it.

Well, The BBC and the Open University have released How big is our Universe?, a "humble homage" to the original, updated with our current knowledge of the universe.

(Unfortunately it doesn't do the microscopic bit, but then, there's not a lot deeper they could have gone than the original).
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-11-11 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Don't really need the quotes round hyperlinks...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Anyone remember "Powers of Ten"?

NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day featured an interactive Scale of the Universe that went from the Plank scale (10-35m) to the scale of the visible universe (1027m). I used to have it bookmarked, but it ran on Flash, which is pretty much defunct now.

This was it: Scale of the Universe.

That's where I first learned about Sedna.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-11-11 at 09:34 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Anyone remember "Powers of Ten"?

I also remember Powers of Ten. At the time it reminded me of the Galaxy Song from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?