New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default 4e Lizardfolk PC Race

this page on the homebrewery

These are based on the 5e lizardfolk race, although to round out the feature's I've added a few more from some types of actual lizards, like climbing ability and the basilisk's running ability (the lizard, not the mythological creature).

Spoiler: Fluff
    Show
    Living beyond civilization, these emotionless warriors have but one goal: survive.

Lizardfolk live in the deep swamps and jungles, eking out a living where other races fear to dread. Wearing little more than straps when out of armor, the lizardfolk live with only what they need to survive.

Beyond their spartan lifestyle, lizardfolk have a mindset thoroughly alien to the "soft skins" around them, weighing options differently and lacking the typical emotions they are so familiar with.

Play a lizardfolk if you want. . .
    ♦ To keep only what is necessary.
    ♦ To disturb your allies with your pragmatism.
    ♦ To be difficult to read and unnerve others.
    ♦ To be a member of a race that favors the Battlemind, Druid, and Shaman classes.

Physical Properties
    If it were not for their bipedal gait, lizardfolk would be easily mistaken for lizards, although they do have large frills most lizards lack.

Lizarffolk typically live as long as humans, but continue growing larger their entire lives. This growth slows down heavily around age 20, which is the same point lizardfolk are typically declared adults. Other aspects of aging are alien or indistinguishable to other races, and most lizardfolk die of old age shortly after turning 100.

Playing a Lizardfolk
    Lizardfolk appear like man-sized lizards, standing on their rear legs. Faithful and skilled, they also think far more like lizards or dragons than like any of the "soft-skins." Indeed, lacking a sturdy coat of scales, other humanoids are likely to be viewed by friendly lizardfolk much like infants to be protected. Lacking the emotions of warm-blooded folk, lizardfolk significantly prefer things that make them safe and supplied. They do not feel fear or outrage, even when running away or stopping someone to have killed any ally. These actions may look like fright or anger, they are rather the actions that a lizardfolk considers to bring it the best chance of furture safety and satiation. Lizardfolk therefore typically take risks specifically when they believe these risks preserve or provide resources that will help them in the future. Actions and objects that allow a lizardfolk to treat more situations as benign rather than threatening are the most valued.

Lizardfolk Characteristics: Calculating, Cold, Efficient, Spartan, Utilitarian

Lizardfolk Names: Achuak (green), Aryte (war), Baeshra (animal), Darastrix (dragon), Garurt (axe), Irhtos (secret), Jhank (hammer), Kepesk (storm), Kethend (gem), Korth (danger), Kosj (small), Kothar (demon), Litrix (armor), Mirik (song), Othokent (smart), Sauriv (eye), Tharoden (many), Thurkear (night), Usk (iron), Valignat (burn), Vargach (battle), Verthica (mountain), Vutha (black), Vyth (steel)

Racial Traits
    Average Height: 5' 1"-6' 1"
    Average Weight: 130-160 lb.
    Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity or Wisdom
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 6 squares, swim 3 squares
    Vision: Normal
    Languages: Common, Draconic
    Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Nature
    Calculating Mind: You gain a +1 racial bonus to your Will defense
    In addition, you gain a +5 racial bonus to saving throws against fear effects
    Reptile: You are considered a reptile for the purpose of effects that relate to the reptile keyword
    Hold Breath: You can hold your breath for 15 minutes before needing to make checks to hold your breath. The check DC to hold your breath when you take damage is equal to the damage taken.
    Hungry Jaws: You can use hungry jaws as an encounter power.

Hungry Jaws Lizardfolk Racial Power
    You devour your enemies, gaining strength from their weakness
    Encounter ♦ Weapon
    Standard Action ♦ Melee 1
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity +2 vs. AC
    Hit: 1d6 + Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity modifier damage, and you gain temporary hit points equal to the damage dealt.
    Level 11: Increase to +4 bonus and 2d6 + Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity modifier damage.
    Level 21: Increase to +6 bonus and 3d6 + Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity modifier damage.

Lizardfolk Feats
    Lashing Tail
    Prerequisite: Lizardfolk

Benefit: Your long and sinuous tail is well built for striking other creatures with. You can attack with your tail, which is part of the unarmed weapon group, has the High Crit and Off-Hand properties, a +2 attack bonus and deals 1d4 damage. You do not need a free hand to attack with your tail.

River Runner
    When you make a charge or run, you can treat liquid surfaces as if they were solid for the duration of the action. If you end either action while on a liquid surface, you fall in.

Spear Striker
    Benefit: You can use any one handed spear with Sneak Attack or any rogue power that normally requires a light blade.

Staunch Stomach
    Benefit: When you are subject to a poison or disease from something you have eaten, you can immediately make a Constitution check against the disease or saving throw against the poison with a +2 bonus. Diseases and Poisons do not worsen if your fail this check or saving throw.

Lizardfolk Utility Powers
    Tree Dweller's Escape
    Some lizardfolk move into the trees, the better to see enemies approach and the easier to avoid their eye. Lizardfolk that have gotten used to these dwelling never truly lose the ability to return to the safety of the treetops.

Tree Dweller's Escape Lizardfolk Utility 2
    You lived in the trees once, and can return home with ease.
    Encounter
    Minor Action ♦ Personal
    Effect: You gain a climb speed equal to your movement speed until the start of your next turn.

Foliage Guard
    Lizardfolk commonly live in the deep swamps other races avoid, and have taken care to learn how best to remain unseen in their lush, muddy environment.

Foliage Guard Lizardfolk Utility 6
    In a moment you vanish into the foliage, your scales as leaves, your claws as twigs, and your tail a root.
    Encounter
    Free Action ♦ Personal
    Trigger: You would make a Stealth Check
    Effect: You make a Nature check in place of a Stealth Check

Inscrutable Visage
    Lacking the emotion of other creatures, lizardfolk lack the tells other creature provide when lying or understanding others.

Inscrutable Visage Lizardfolk Utility 10
    You have no emotion, and so creatures cannot read your emotions.
    At-Will
    No Action ♦ Personal
    Prerequisite: You make an Insight roll or Deception roll and dislike the result
    Effect: You can make another roll, and choose either total.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2021-11-13 at 05:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: 4e Lizardfolk PC Race

Always fun to see some 4E Homebrew!

The race's base chassis seems fine. +2 CON as primary and as the stat to hit with for the Bite is a bit annoying as it limits the race some (since only Battlemind and Warlock are CON Primary classes). That's not a total deal-breaker, mind: this is an awesome Battlemind race and a totally reasonable Ranger, Runepriest, Druid, and Rogue race. It is a bit surprising to see the race get no STR bonus, but what can you do? Lizardfolk for sure want to be Rangers, Druids, and Rogues, and those are all WIS or DEX classes. Calculating Mind is a real selling point - +1 to a NAD and a huge bonus to saves versus an annoying and common effect is excellent.

I think the big change to make is to that Hungry Jaws power - other races with a racial attack in 4E (Thri-keen, Dragonborn, Minotaur, etc.) all let you choose one of three attributes to determine the attack bonus (Thri-keen lets you pick any of the three abilities they can racially boost; Dragonborn and Minotaur let you pick any of the three physical abilities). Letting the Jaws work off of Dex, Wis, and/or Str would dramatically improve the efficacy of the race and match the design ethos of 4E better.

All of the utilities and feats seem like fine, harmless fun - I think an optimized player is unlikely to take any of them even if the standard houserule of "everyone gets free Improved Defenses and Expertise" is in play. The one that would need a close pass is that "Spear Striker" feat - my opti-fu is too old and too limited to recall if opening up Polearms for Rogues breaks anything in 4E. Top of head I don't think so, since it limits you to just Spears.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 4e Lizardfolk PC Race

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    I think the big change to make is to that Hungry Jaws power - other races with a racial attack in 4E (Thri-keen, Dragonborn, Minotaur, etc.) all let you choose one of three attributes to determine the attack bonus (Thri-keen lets you pick any of the three abilities they can racially boost; Dragonborn and Minotaur let you pick any of the three physical abilities). Letting the Jaws work off of Dex, Wis, and/or Str would dramatically improve the efficacy of the race and match the design ethos of 4E better.
    Done, and thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    All of the utilities and feats seem like fine, harmless fun - I think an optimized player is unlikely to take any of them even if the standard houserule of "everyone gets free Improved Defenses and Expertise" is in play. The one that would need a close pass is that "Spear Striker" feat - my opti-fu is too old and too limited to recall if opening up Polearms for Rogues breaks anything in 4E. Top of head I don't think so, since it limits you to just Spears.
    About what I was expecting. Inscrutable Visage is a bit stronger than similar utility powers, since it lets you reroll two skills, but in exchange they are Cha skills on a race that doesn't get a Cha bonus, so I think its fair.

I have a similar concern about spear striker, but I wanted something that would make the race mechanically interesting for people, so I left it in. I think it only actually unlocks use of the spear, but there might be some cross-class powers that require a polearm elsewhere that it might make it useful.