New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Shooting Serini

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Shooting Serini

In the latest comic, V chooses to use a Resilient Sphere instead of a fancy ray or something. While the Sphere is a viable choice disregarding a Dimension Door wand, V is now stuck on the floor in the maws of a mighty irrelevant beast.
    Given that they've been stocking up on non-somatic component spells, are there any ranged options they could plausibly have that could hit Serini, assuming she hasn't had multiple turns to flee?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shooting Serini

Bigsby's Halfling Catching Hand?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Dimensional Anchor would be nice at this point.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

We've seen V use Power Word: Stun. Serini probably doesn't have over 150 HP?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

As noted, Dimensional Anchor would be the most valuable now that they know she has a dim door wand.

V should also really be hitting the three pursuers with a Haste.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Haley has wands. Does any of them shoot something? V was helping her learn with a fire based wand on the airship.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-11-13 at 06:06 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Haley has wands. Does any of them shoot something? V was helping her learn with a fire based wand on the airship.
    She has a Magic Misiile wand that she tried to use on Crystal. Not sure that would help much, though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    She has a Magic Misiile wand that she tried to use on Crystal. Not sure that would help much, though.
    It wouldn't hurt, unless of course you were Serini. (Since my brain is all 5e at the moment, I am not sure how effective/lethal/scalable a magic missile wand is in 3.5). A wand of web, if it has/has the range, might catch Serini for a round or two ... since she currently can't see Haley casting at her ... (based on last panel 6 of strip 1247).
    I may be reaching here.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-11-15 at 02:40 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

It wouldn't hurt, unless of course you were Serini. (Since my brain is all 5e at the moment, I am not sure how effective/lethal/scalable a magic missile wand is in 3.5). A wand of web, if it has/has the range, might catch Serini for a round or two ... since she currently can't see Haley casting at her ... (based on last panel 6 of strip 1247).
    I may be reaching here.
    In 3.5, wands default to minimum caster level, which means magic missile would do a grand total of 1d4+1. Haley's wand looks to have a higher CL than that (5th) for a total of three missiles, however 3d4+3 is unlikely to faze a character of Serini's level even if she has no defenses against it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    In 3.5, wands default to minimum caster level, which means magic missile would do a grand total of 1d4+1. Haley's wand looks to have a higher CL than that (5th) for a total of three missiles, however 3d4+3 is unlikely to faze a character of Serini's level even if she has no defenses against it.
    Thank you, and now that strip 1248 is up my guess is shown to be off base.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I think Haley should have whipped out a tommy gun and gunned down Serini. The most obvious and chronologically sound decision to make.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Robots View Post
    I think Haley should have whipped out a tommy gun and gunned down Serini. The most obvious and chronologically sound decision to make.
    Genius! Then when she's injured and trying to get steady, Abraham Lincoln can come back with a machete.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Genius! Then when she's injured and trying to get steady, Abraham Lincoln can come back with a machete.
    Wait, Serini's a vampire?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Wait, Serini's a vampire?
    One doesn't simply dispatch a vampre with a machete, one also has to use a stake.
    Should I regret that I've not seen Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter? (I think that was a movie from a few years ago)

15. - Top - End - #15

One doesn't simply dispatch a vampre with a machete, one also has to use a stake.
    The only valid use for a well-done one! (Also, it's spelled steak.)

Should I regret that I've not seen Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter? (I think that was a movie from a few years ago)
    Can't be much worse than Cowboys & Aliens.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-11-24 at 08:46 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Which is more proof that all of the muses have left Hollywood for Bollywood. The only things to come out of Hollywood in the last few decades that didn't make me want to gouge out my eyes to avoid seeing it are the remakes of 1980 or older comic book stories.

Shooting Serini with anything that didn't leave her paralyzed wouldn't have worked anyway. D&D doesn't have any rule that allows wounding to disable a character. Even a called shot to her leg would only have inconvenienced her.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    D&D doesn't have any rule that allows wounding to disable a character.
    I'd argue that if dispensed liberally enough, nonlethal damage can do that.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Which is more proof that all of the muses have left Hollywood for Bollywood. The only things to come out of Hollywood in the last few decades that didn't make me want to gouge out my eyes to avoid seeing it are the remakes of 1980 or older comic book stories.
    Shame, seems like youve missed a lot of cinematic gold.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    But suddenly something caught his leg and he tripped
    General Tarquin took him out with his whip!
    Shh! I'm hiding.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Robots View Post
    But suddenly something caught his leg and he tripped
    General Tarquin took him out with his whip!
    And then Tarquin removes his own face and it turns out he was Indiana Jones(, but E-V-I-L) all along!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I may be reaching here.
    Web is usually a great spell because it entangles the target even if they make their saving throw, but Dimension Door still beats it. It needs to be a spell that inflicts a status on Serini herself.

Good options that you might plausibly put in a wand would be Glitterdust (blinds her so she can't find her escape route, also reveals invisibility), Confusion (about 50-50 chance that Serini does something other than teleport away), Suggestion (I suggest you stop running and try to talk this out), and Hold Person. Serini would still get saving throws and spell resistance (if she has an item), but it's your best bet.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegeus View Post
    Web is usually a great spell because it entangles the target even if they make their saving throw, but Dimension Door still beats it. It needs to be a spell that inflicts a status on Serini herself.

Good options that you might plausibly put in a wand would be Glitterdust (blinds her so she can't find her escape route, also reveals invisibility), Confusion (about 50-50 chance that Serini does something other than teleport away), Suggestion (I suggest you stop running and try to talk this out), and Hold Person. Serini would still get saving throws and spell resistance (if she has an item), but it's your best bet.
    Web is a great spell but very difficult to draw, so I can see why the Giant would avoid it.
    V has used enchantment spells so I would be surprised if Haley had wands that did that. She is better off with wands that buff her and her allies.