New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: David Eddings' Elenium and Tamuli series: amount of church knights

So, here's my thought:

The Elenes didn't know about magic. They knew Styrics did magic, but they didn't know how they did magic, just that they did. So, when they went to the Styrics and said "Teach us magic and we'll protect you from Otha (and the other Elenes)", the Styrics said ".... ok" and sort of figured the Elenes didn't know what they were asking.

So, the Styrics taught them magic-as-mechanics... say these words, wiggle these fingers, and that happens. The Styric gods were content to let this happen, because the Elenes were then obliged to protect their followers (somewhat).

When "all our magic is prayers to our gods" came out, the Elenes looked at each other and said "Well, ****, we might've coulda asked our gods", the Styrics were smug, and, IIRC, Dolmant immediately forbade anyone from trying it out on a whim.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

To be exact, when "other gods besides the Styric gods do offer their worshippers the ability to do magic", Patriarch Emban was the one who tried to forbid any experimenting, to those who'd just found out.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #33
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    To be exact, when "other gods besides the Styric gods do offer their worshippers the ability to do magic", Patriarch Emban was the one who tried to forbid any experimenting, to those who'd just found out.
    There we go. That was it.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.