New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: IC Keep on the Borderlands (5e) Dragonlance

Aria assessed the state of the place with a furrowed brow starting to really grasp what Royce had alluded to. Not the prettiest but it all armed functional at least.

She shouldn't help but smiled when Heart introduced her as her friend. She didn't quite share the girl's optimism, she likely at a pretty low bar for friendship, but it was nice to be thought of that way nonetheless.

"I'm Aria. I'll start with food as well maybe something sweet if you have it I've been craving a nice apple pie" she said the last part half to herself. I suspect we'll be staying here a while so I'm hoping you can make some accomodations for me. I'll need a room probably long term, with a window facing the street or with no window at all. Some type of cabinet with a lock if you have anything and a large tub for baths and laundry unless you provide laundry service that is? "

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Zara

Zara exchanged a sad smile with Royse. The two of them were indeed orphans of the knighthood. Still, who knew maybe they would hold commands again some day.

The lady knight had been lost in her thoughts so much she hadn't quite realised the group was in danger of leaving her behind. With a smooth clip she followed, trying to conceal her distaste at encountering a Kender - and the way her hand immediately moved over her money purse.

"I am Zara and I would like something similar to my companion Aria here, at least when it comes to rooms. For food however I believe I'd like something more filling than apple pie - though it sounds a pleasant desert."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Haverna’s Inn

“Oh, blessings of the Branchala aren’t you a polite and friendly young kitty-girl. Nordmaar… Nordmaar? Is that near Steelmotte? I spent a summer in Steelmotte when I was young and I have to say it stank a lot. All those forges, like a dwarf village. Well, it was a dwarf village, but it was like exactly what you’d expect a dwarf village to be instead of a nice village that happened to be full of dwarves.

She gives the dress a little twirl. “Thank you! I wish I could say I made it myself but I got a bit of arthritis setting in and the little tasks just aren’t as fun as they used to be. Have yourselves a seat. I’ll bring you some sausages.”

To Aria and Zara she says, her brows rising in surprise, “Long-term stay with turndown service and laundry? Fancy! Well, we do wash the linens after each visit, so for an additional fee I suppose we can throw clothing in the mix once a week if we have to. Don’t have a big stock of soap and food’s still coming from the south because nobody’s growing nothing locally yet, being as we all just got here and then the winter set in. But you’re in luck that I still have rooms available and regular income would be a welcome sight. Oh, hear that? Hahahah! I didn’t mean to sound clever. Windows you’ve got. Sorry the doors don’t lock: Locks are expensive. But adding a strongbox to each room is a wonderful idea! Bring your own locks, of course. I’ll have to write that down. JAYMEEEEE!!!! Write that down, love, that’s a good lad.

“But we have a bath back there behind the common room, with our own water pump and all, and the bailiff says it’ll be sure to work properly any day now. Though he’s been saying that for months.”

The cost, she says regretfully, is 1stl, 5sp per room per night, for Modest lifestyle accommodations.

Haverna’s shout gets plenty of attention, and customers look up from their meals and take you in for the first time. Some are obviously workers who just want a hot meal – perhaps the off-shift men the gnome had mentioned. Three men in particular stand out because of their dark, broad features, armor of pelts and leather, and obvious weapons. They look at you all with interest.

Spoiler: Royse and Aria (Insight)
    Show
    recognize brutes when they see them, and can tell by the tightness of their backs and set of their eyes that were they not engaged in a meal and if you didn’t outnumber them, they’d probably challenge you to some sort of contest or duel.

Spoiler: Zara (Perception)
    Show
    with a careful eye on surroundings and people, notes nothing of value – at least to her – but sees several other Kender working here as well as a few human women, who look drawn, a bit dirty, and threadbare.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

When the food is brought, Heart eagerly wolfs some of it down. "It's great! My compliments to the chef, she says, debating about asking for more, but deciding against it.

With the meal done for the moment, she carefully withdraws her flute from her carrying case, and looks for anything resembling a stage. If there is something, she'll move her chair there-if not, she'll find a good spot and blow a few practice notes. Once she's ready, she holds her charm a moment, for luck and Guidance, and begins to play. The tune starts off low (for a flute, at least) and slow, almost mournful, but picks up quickly into a jaunty, dancing melody.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+5)[7] for a Charisma (Flute) check. Same check if it's Dexterity.
    Adding (1d4)[3] from Guidance.

Heart, being a bit rusty with her musical skills, makes a few errors and is a little out of tune, but she's got a soft smile on her face, as much as she can while playing. She hopes to see some of the other patrons dance, or sing, or provide other instruments of their own; but is happy to perform alone if need-be.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-11-26 at 05:53 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Royse Mide, Paladin of Vengence
    The hug caught him by surprise. Who in the world just hugged a stranger like that? Heart was obviously the answer. It ended just as quickly and Royse was left in the street, still processing it. Another surprise awaited him on the interior of the inn. Kender.

He didn't have a problem have a problem with kender. Not really. They were an annoyance, however. That lack of the sense of personal space... It wasn't too surprising to see why Heart warm to the woman immediately. Normally, that would've been the end of it. He'd have paid for his room and had some sausages before they set to their task in earnest. But there were wolves in this establishment.
    He felt the dark eyes on himself and the others. Steel claws and ratty furs. His hand found its way down to Caution's guard and rested there as easily as someone hooking a thumb into a pocket. He could feel the sword's tension. An alerted dog. Ears up, but not growling; yet. Not until their numbers were whittled down. He stared at them directly. Not a threat, a promise. As Haverna finished speaking he broke his gaze and pulled his pouch from his belt with his other hand to lay thirty-two steel before her.

"Since I was the one to propose a joint venture it's only fitting I cover the first week of our stay here. Aria, am I correct that you still want to share a room with Heart?"

6. - Top - End - #36

NecromancerGuy

those accomodations are sufficient thanks . Aria made a mental note to buy a few locks for the door and the strong box. Surely there was somewhere in town to get them. She was a little disappointed by the lack of a bath but she'd lived with worse... While on the road at least.

Show

(1d20+5)[20] insight

Aria sized up the armed men determining if they were a threat or not. She flashed them a cocky grin almost daring them to challenge her.

Show
    (1d20)[10] charisma check

Then was surprised when Royce volunteered to pay for her way at the inn. She wasn't going to complain about that. It certainly kept her own purse heavier.

thanks Royce. I appreciate that. I'm good with it if she is. she really wouldn't mind being in a position where she could protect the girl. She had taken a long to get and heart was too innocent for her own good.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Haverna's Inn

The armed men glower and sneer in classic bully fashion, eating heartily and laughing in a language none of you knows. If you're still in the dining area when they leave, they are aggressive in the shoulder-bump "I have to look tough in front of my homies" sort of way but otherwise leave without any real violence.

OOC: At this point it is still mid-afternoon, so there won't be a dinner crowd in here for hours. Please converse and/or describe your actions/what you mean to accomplish yet today.

8. - Top - End - #38

BlackDragon

Zara

Zara looked disdainfully at the bully boy riff-raff, the type of flotsam she'd seen before (in Flotsam in fact.) More bark than bite. Frankly she was still more worried about the kenders running around.

"Thank you Royce, but I insist on paying my own way at least," Zara said in response to her fellow knight's offer. A smile conjured into being on her features. "If I can't earn back my steel soon enough I'm in the wrong line of work. Now, I think you suggested we tackle the wolves and hobgoblins first Aria? I agree; it will earn us some coin, build our reputation a little and allow us to experience the lay of the land."

9. - Top - End - #39

NecromancerGuy

Aria smiled at Zara's endorsement. "I just thought it was easy enough to start with and it will give us a chance to test our teamwork in combat. But I like you're like of thinking as well" She looked to the others to try to determine their thoughts on the matter. "Shall we head to the guildhall then?"
    Last edited by clash; 2021-11-29 at 08:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Heart packs her flute away after a few songs. She heads back to the table with her friends, and says "Guess it's the wrong time for music. We're off for the Guildhall, then?"

Show
    I'm good to just move on to the Guildhall-see what adventure we can get ourselves into! :)

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Guildhouse

With your passable sausages put away, you off back into the chill air to see the groups of workmen not busily at their jobs, laying cobblestones, tugging big blocks high onto the walls, building up the sides of the well, and tacking tar paper and slate shingles onto nearby rooves. Passersby are at a minimum, however, as most folk will still be busy at their respective trades for several more hours.

A large standalone building in the out bailey, the guildhouse actually has quite a nice sign indicating various trade goods around a wagon wheel and the words, “Wheelers Guild, Dargoth chapter.”

Inside is a cramped foyer, and an overhead bell introduces you to a clerk who, swiping aside a heavy curtain, appears with surprising speed. The fastidious young man, bespectacled but not unhandsome, sags noticeably upon seeing you, and speaks common with a thick Solamnic accent. “Good afternoon. Do you have an appointment? And you are not guild members… how can I be of service? Master Ruch is busy with clients at the moment. You may wait, if you must speak with him.”

There is a bench to either side of you and nothing else in this cramped space; not even lamps. All the light comes from the busy, fragrant room beyond the curtain.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"True, true," his own smile tugged at the corners of his mouth as Royse withdrew ten steel from the pile and passed the remainder to Haverna, "I have no doubt that you will."

With the matter of payment settled Royse took his sausages and sat down to eat. It was good and Heart's music didn't offend. The only thing that kept him from fully enjoying his meal were the wolves. His eyes were locked on them. Every sneer and jeer stoking a coal within him. He marked their faces and he knew that if they overstepped their bounds he'd cut them down like the dogs they were. Even as the final bumps came, Royse could feel that coal was about to burst into a fire... But he remained as steady as a rock and let the insult of it pass him by.
    During the walk he was quiet. In hindsight he'd let the ruffians get under his skin. The hindsight was always the easy part. Royse still had trouble, despite all his self-examination, putting up with that level of disrespect. So, the walk was quiet while he schooled himself on being a better person than that. It was a good thing too. The clerk’s apathy and clear dismissal of their arrival might have gotten a worse reaction.

"No appointments, but becoming a member is a possibility. In truth we are looking into some work that was posted on the job board. I assume that you can speak to us about those Mr. ..?"

Show
    Persuasion roll (just in case) [roll]1d20+4[roll]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Guildhouse - Wheelers Guild, Dargoth chapter

The young man nods. “Wintergreen. And Wheelers is a trade guild, sir knight. We deal in the shipping of goods and the creation and services rendered to do so. If you have goods to trade or services to render, yes, I would be happy to assist you. Items from the jobs board are a different matter, only … [something in Solamnic – tangential] … uh, related to it. What work are you interested in? And I should say we’ve taken to asking for names for adventuring troupes such as yours because otherwise we would quickly lose track. They seem particularly eager to seek out these rumors of hobgoblins along the road – there are already three groups patrolling that area for miles.”

Spoiler: Rosye (Insight)
    Show
    Wintergreen, by his tone, is not being disrespectful, but is weary, as if he’s had the same conversation many times recently.

14. - Top - End - #44

"Perhaps we could help with the milestones?" Heart asks. "That'd be something productive, whether or not it's dangerous."

There's a brief moment where Heart is silent, and then a realization is visible crossing her face. "Wait-wait. We get to name our own adventuring group? Oh gosh, this is a big ask! Um, um, uh... I was not prepared for this! We gotta make it something impressive... Something that'll get respect just on the words alone," she says, thinking hard. "You guys got any ideas? Um, Mr. Wintergreen, do we need to make a name now? Can we change it later, if we get a better name?"

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #45

NecromancerGuy

"Damn" aria cursed at being too late for the job she wanted. Nothing was going her way today. ya I suppose we could help with the milestones she wasn't really looking forward to manual labor today but she wouldn't shy away from it. "Like a team name" she pondered. "How about... The marauders? Or The Silver talons? Or what about the Shadows dagger?" they definitely needed a cool name, she decided. Having come from the immortal assassins she knew that marketing was half the battle.
    Last edited by clash; 2021-12-01 at 12:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

"Let's shoot for something more heroic than that! Marauders sounds like we're gonna pillage your village," Heart says. "I like the Silver Talons, though. Not sure I'm completely sold on it, but it's a good starting place..."

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #47

BlackDragon

Zara

Zara's mouth quirks into an roguish smile. "Having faced Silver Dragons in combat I'd sooner not the Silver Talons. Too much bad blood. Maybe the the Jade Talons instead? Makes us sound mysterious."

The lady knight seems highly amused by the discussion, but like Aria feels a good name is important.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Mide," Royse offered, his tension leaving in the same breath as the name. Perhaps neither one of them was at their best in this moment.

While it wasn't daring or exciting the milestone work would certainly give them a reputation for solid work and help with the supply situation. In the moment he couldn't ascertain how, but if a trade guild deemed it important enough to pay for then it was important. It also didn't completely void the possibility for the glory Aria craved. Speaking of, now it was his turn to weigh in on the name they'd go by. He knew his answer.
    "I must admit, Zara has the right of it I think. 'Jade Talons' grabs the imagination but doesn't conjure a ready image. Much like ourselves. Beyond that, Mr. Wintergreen, what are the terms of work and pay for the milestone job? While we're discussing that it might be beneficial to talk about the hobgoblin job as well. With three parties of hunters at the ready a tribe could be pushed to act in unexpected ways. If we have to deal with them as well we should know what their bounty is."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

“The former is simple enough – literally. We’ve been dropping some silver in the camp for some individuals with skills at stonework to carve the mileposts, and now we’ve an even ten ready to be lain along the road. This is day labor and the first strong backs to walk through the door will be hired for two silver each. It’s a seller’s market after all. One of us will have to go along to perform the measurements and make certain you remain on-task.

“But that certainly won’t require weapons. We are offering a bounty of two silver for each wolf ear, and one steel for each goblin ear.”

Spoiler: Zara, Aria (Insight)
    Show
    Something about Wintergreen’s tone at the end sounded … even more banal than the rest? As if he didn’t expect you to return with any at all – or maybe return at all.

20. - Top - End - #50

NecromancerGuy

"Jade talons. I like it" aria stated satisfied with the name.

She had to agree that her talents were wasted carrying stone and the goblins and wolves certainly paid better.

She shrugged ignoring the tone of his voice. She was more than capable and the knights looks like they could handle themselves. "I'm leaning towards the bounties again. If we get paid per creature then it might not matter that we're not the only ones Killin. We can still take the stones if you want, but I'd rather go hunting. Shall we?"

21. - Top - End - #51

Heart nods. "Wolves are always dangerous. Thinning the packs isn't a bad idea."

Spoiler: Insight DC 15
    Show
    She's very much not mentioning the goblins, and there's a reason for that. She doesn't seem to have personal experience with any goblinoids, but is hesitant to attack sentient creatures.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

The Jade Talons it is. Wintergreen takes note, adding your names (whichever names and information you choose to provide), physical descriptions, and tells you a copy will be provided to the bailiff.

OOC: Please make a definitive plan and enact it - however, also note again that it's midday and too late to start a day's work immediately (early darkness being an obstacle).

23. - Top - End - #53

NecromancerGuy

"Not much more to do today then, but we
    know where to start tomorrow. I need to make a few purchases"
    she informed the others thinking of the locks she wanted to buy. "Then I'll be heading back to my room at the inn. Relax a bit before the morning comes." Sounds like the bath was happening after all and maybe someone here would have a good book for sale. She wouldn't mind some reading while soaking.
    Last edited by clash; 2021-12-07 at 11:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Then I'll be here bright and early to accept the stones and begin the work."

After their records were taken and they left the office, Royse had to wonder at Aria's insistence on the bounty hunting. With so many hunters it just seemed less likely that they'd encounter their marks and more likely that they'd be wasting time. Though he kept those thoughts to himself. He didn't know for certain if that was the truth. Speaking of time, the dwindling day was not encouraging for checking in with all the job posts. The farmland would have to wait for another day, but there was something closer they could pursue. As Aria made her intention known to peruse the shops, Royse passed her ten steel for a lock of his own.
    "While you're shopping I'm going to pursue one more of those job notices. The royal surveyor shouldn't be too hard to find, considering that we have their apartment number. I'm going to question them about what they need and we'll meet up back at the inn later."

25. - Top - End - #55

"Want company for that?" Heart asks.

Show
    I'm all for just narrating past this, Gorgon. I think we're ready to start the meat.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Dargaard Keep Outer Bailey

Aria

It takes only a minute to get directions to the provisioner – the general store – but Aria is disappointed the moment she steps up to the window. A pale, lean, almost emaciated male elf stands from a stool and greets her warmly,, introducing himself as Derithar, but she sees the shelves behind him are quite bare. He regretfully states there’s been no call for locks in any number (generally being an expensive luxury) but he says he can place an order for delivery that should arrive in about two weeks. He asks for pay up front, of course.

Royse and Heart

The cartographer, Markus, is a middle-aged human man in sturdy traveling clothes. The gear in his surprisingly spacious apartment is packed in such a way as to suggest he’s ready to leave at a moment’s notice and has been agitating to do so for some time. Trying not to stare, he speaks in common, thinking he’s doing Heart a favor when in fact he’s helping Royse. “It is a pleasure to meet you both. I’ve been waiting for weeks, but rumors from the countryside and in the camp assure me I’m not prepared for whatever I may face in the wilds. I’m sorry to say it, but surveying is typically a more sedate job. I’ve … never had to face completely uncharted territory before. I’m not military, you see, I work in the Gaardlund Interior office. Lord Christofson refuses to provide an escort but is more than happy to pay for mercenaries, and they all appear to think this work is beneath them. Such a strange situation. So, will you be my escort? When are we leaving?”

27. - Top - End - #57

Heart looks Markus in the eyes, and smiles, trying to reassure him with her body language that all is well. "My friends and I have just come into camp-we were planning on taking a night to rest at the inn, but we can leave bright and early tomorrow, if that works for you. We were also going to see about putting some milestones down-is that compatible with your work, or should we focus on one task at a time?" she asks.

"And, also," she adds, "when you say 'not military', how equipped are you in a fight? I don't think any of us expect you to charge in with a sword or anything like that, but are you composed enough to get cover and keep your wits about you?"

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #58

NecromancerGuy

Aria paid 20 steel pieces for the 2 locks she wanted and Royce's 10 for a lock for him. She would sleep sounder one those had arrived and couple be put to use. After putting in the order for those, having no impulse purchases available to her she headed back to the inn and went to soak in the tub for the rest of the afternoon. Her muscles were stiff and sore from the days on the road. Aside from being relaxing, and helping with the smell, the bath would loosen up her muscles allowing her to be quick and nimble when faced with combat.

29. - Top - End - #59

BlackDragon

Zara

"I too want to make a few investigations but I'll see you this evening," Zara said to Aria, Heart and Royse.

While the others had moved off Zara had decided to see if the Keep had any wizards or other such magical practitioners around. The ex-knight had only a limited grasp of magic as yet, but she was interested in exploring the mystical arts further and that meant trading notes with those of an arcane bent. Besides they might have some insight into the local area that might have escaped more mundane minds and eyes.

The young woman asked around for directions or even just rumours that could help her.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Zara

Zara asks random strangers in the street, mostly workers and more of those rough-looking warrior types. None admit to knowing any magic users personally, let along know of any here at the keep or in the camp. Your mind is distracted by possibly conflicting missions come the morning. (OOC - This should have been a Charisma check on your part. I rolled on your behalf - really low.)

Royse and Heart

Markus stares at Heart, his wonder and curiosity turning into open-mouthed confusion and fear. "Wha-what do you mean? I know there are wolves and maybe bears in the woods... you make it sound as if I might be in real danger at every moment. Sir, tell me that isn't the case. I am a professional with a job to do, but I have no experience with violence. Who would possibly want to harm me? What is out there? Can the two of you truly keep me safe? And are you prepared for travel - a proper survey will require hiking quite a few miles, finding high ground and setting up my equipment at a number of locations. I presume it will take several days..." He's now's lost his confidence and is fairly unnerved by the unknown dangers he may face.