A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fantastical Mecha (3.5 Mech Homebrew, DM Found)

Well the control isn't the problem, the only real problem would be being close enough to control them. And yes only having as many as you can control really solves problems.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Iíll probably up the battleship size to gargantuan just to be on the safe side, can always downsize for Arsenal if itís too big.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Does the weapon that the Android gets count as 'in-built'?

Spoiler: Integrated Weaponry
    Show
    The Android chooses a level I Combat Weapon from the Arsenal, which can be changed at each level up, that can be retrieved/put away as a free action, and cannot be disarmed/sundered. Its directly connected to the Android's own energy core and maintenance systems thus never runs out of ammo or energy. Volatile weapons that would be destroyed instead need 1d12 hours of repair. If the Android has Pilot levels and gains access to higher tiers of Arsenal, he may choose for its Integrated Weaponry to be one of any Arsenal tier currently available to it. However that weapon cannot be used while piloting the Mecha.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post
    For mecha-building purposes, it doesn't count as a weapon at all, right? It's just for when you're fighting outside of it.
    Nexus Character Pile

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

And how does that jive with Monado Maiden wherein the character is the mecha?

...a Monado Maiden counts as a Super Robot...
    Last edited by LairdMaon; 2021-12-07 at 08:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post

Spoiler: Integrated Weaponry
    Show
    The Android chooses a level I Combat Weapon from the Arsenal, which can be changed at each level up, that can be retrieved/put away as a free action, and cannot be disarmed/sundered. Its directly connected to the Android's own energy core and maintenance systems thus never runs out of ammo or energy. Volatile weapons that would be destroyed instead need 1d12 hours of repair. If the Android has Pilot levels and gains access to higher tiers of Arsenal, he may choose for its Integrated Weaponry to be one of any Arsenal tier currently available to it. However that weapon cannot be used while piloting the Mecha.
    Doesn't seem like it should, since in-built generally seems refer to specific weapons (for Super Robots, the ones they get in their base stats and from certain upgrades) and it's a weapon from the Arsenal list and normally weapons gained there don't count as in-built.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't say it's in-built as far as the text goes since you can switch it around together with Arsenal choices- that said, I can see how it could be considered in-built.

It doesn't help that some Super Robot upgrades mention 'your in-built weapon' and some 'the super robot's in-built weapon' as if there could be a difference (I figure that's just someone not foreseeing the potential conundrum).
    I won an argument with my GM -15/08/2017- (20:32 GMT +1)

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Do you want to see one being played? Dead of Winter Mafia is currently recruiting!

8. - Top - End - #128

"your in built weapons" and "super robot's in built" weapons is just the creator not using the same line every time. As if you have the ability to use upgrade points you have a super robot... Except maybe in the case of the feat that gives 1 upgrade point.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

As there seem to be a bunch more players than I can comfortably DM for I'll likely have to make some choices. I'm planning on doing that next week on Sunday (19th of December), so please have your sheets and background done by then! My goal is to have the IC thread up either the same day, or shortly afterwards (Monday or Tuesday).
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

10. - Top - End - #130

NecromancerGirl

Trying to think of what I have left to do... backstory, of course. Thankfully, I don't need to worry about equipment due to Child Soldier. I think mechanically, the only thing I have left is to stat up the last of my drones - and for that, I plan to have a trio of weaker drones whose sole purpose is to act as "spell missiles," delivering a spell before dying.

Also, since I forgot to address this earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    Couldn't we just need the drones real food or high calorie foods and fill them up that way?
    Unfortunately, the most nutritious foods for Einst are sentient beings, and they'll prioritize feeding on them first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

On that subject, I think Warm might be purrsuaded to invent a custom treat for the Einst. They don't mind eating parts of people other than the brain, right? Is there any reason for them to turn down, say, a three-ton vat of cloned human muscle tissue?

On the flip side, Fazmid theoretically had the means to take volunteers and turn them into new Einst Queens, assuming that they qualify as a monster class for We Can Rebuild Them purposes. I'm not sure how the mechanics and/or ethics shake out for using random NPCs as your Zerg overlords, though. That's probably just one more reason we're not working with that guy.
    Nexus Character Pile

12. - Top - End - #132

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    On that subject, I think Warm might be purrsuaded to invent a custom treat for the Einst. They don't mind eating parts of people other than the brain, right? Is there any reason for them to turn down, say, a three-ton vat of cloned human muscle tissue?
    Clever! That is up to DM interpretation, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work - although I'm also not sure why sentient beings are ten times as nutritious as other organic matter in the first place.
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Raven View Post
    Clever! That is up to DM interpretation, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work - although I'm also not sure why sentient beings are ten times as nutritious as other organic matter in the first place.
    Iirc, the einst nutrient thing specified 'sentient' not 'intelligent'. Not much difference between a pig and a human as far as your nutritional needs are concerned. I'll say that anything vat-grown counts as half their weight in the 'sentient' category (as it's never technically been sentient). Free range still adds something to the meat, you know :P

Though If warm wants to spend some downtime overcoming that limitation later on, that's fine with me of course.

14. - Top - End - #134

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Iirc, the einst nutrient thing specified 'sentient' not 'intelligent'. Not much difference between a pig and a human as far as your nutritional needs are concerned. I'll say that anything vat-grown counts as half their weight in the 'sentient' category (as it's never technically been sentient). Free range still adds something to the meat, you know :P
    I assume that's due to the author making the common mistake of confusing "sentient" with "sapient." However, I have no objections to this interpretation.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

2:1 seems like a good exchange rate to me! If the Einst can get that same rate from dense cubes of headless livestock, so much the better. From there, I could upgrade it by picking up the Artificial Birth feature later, representing further experimentation in the field of trash-eating cetacean chimeras.
    Nexus Character Pile

16. - Top - End - #136

Alright, I finished scrapping together Siren. Her drones still need to be done, but that's about it I think.

Back story is here and on the sheet along with other details.
    Spoiler: Backtsory
    Show
    The massive corporation known as LBTY LLC had begun work on a new project for a potent wartime weapon that demanded the modularity of dedicated combat androids while also providing supplimental firepower. Thus, they turned to the idea of mechanizing Einst Queens by taking advantage of their typically assimilation ability- of which they hypothesized could grant sentience if one that's already sentient is fed to them. Working of that theory, the science team on hte project came up with the idea of acquiring unactivated androids and making extensive use of modify memory to write in new memories for newborn born Einst Queens to become attached too and predispose them from birth to being cooperative if they were able to inherit memories from absorbed creatures.

With their hypothesis set and having developed proper protocol and measures for capturing and containing a (non-sentient)Einst Queen, they sent in a request for mercenaries to locate and bring back a queen capable of producing heirs. While the team toiled away in developing the chassis for the potential Einst Queens, the PMC spent their time locating and capturing the queen. After several years, the PMC finally returned with an Einst Queen in tow. Soon, they managed to get three princesses produced who abosrbed the tampered android bodies and acheived sentience. Soon began their training with some liberal uses of modify memory as need be to tamper with their personalities if they weere not going the way that they expected.

One year prior to the expeditions, the project team received news from the suits overseeing the projecting. A new expedition was being set out to distant stars and they wanted all the queens deployed as a way of evaluating their progress and to advertise the program to potential buyers and investors. With only a year, the entire team scrambled to get preperations underway. Due to disagreements on plans(especially as the queens were rapidly approaching maturity), the only agreement that could be made was to create three seperate teams that followed their own set of plans. Team 1 involving the eldest queen went with the philosiphy of wanting to minimize memory meddling and taking a more passive observer role to act as a control. Team 2 taking the second eldest would treat her as a soldier; to see how they would handle a more military styled life. Team 3 would take the youngest to the Oregon and have her live a life as an idol, to see how massive social exposure would affect them.

During the prep year, the youngest was "assigned" the name of Siren 'began' her career half a year prior and soon after boarding the Oregon. Since then, she has been consistant in her work and as a void engineer, broadcasting both to the ship and back to civilizations long a distance away. She openly proclaims herself to be an Einst Queen, however due to chassis and her very mechanical drones most believe her to be an an android or cyborg pretending to be an Einst Queen. Her 'management' team is actually the science team undercover with some extra hires. Only those on the Oregon itself have any hint otherwise. There are rare days where her peppy attitude almost seems fake- excused as her feeling under the weather, but those observant enough notice that she seems very bewildered at her surroundings; however, after visiting her physician she soon reappears some hours later as if nothing had happened.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Just posting a quick update on the tabke. Remember, I'd like to pick players sometime this Sunday (unless everyone really needs a bit more time), which means I'd ideally have a background and sheet for everyone
    Player Sheet Class Race Concept Background Sheet complete
    YuweaCurtis Magitech Pilot none yet not yet
    NineOfSpades 9-Sigma Module Pilot Klaxosaur Dragon mecha none yet not yet
    Volthawk "Levi", EFS-11 Real Pilot Android Purpose-Built Defender none yet not yet
    QuadraticGish Siren Einst Queen/Monado Maiden Cyborg Weaponised queen on sheet looks complete at first glance
    Dr. Gunsforhands Warm Support Pilot Musk Rat Nice cat scientist on sheet looks complete at first glance
    Valmark Nike Williams Techno Thief Human Ship thief none yet looks complete at first glance
    Dusk Raven Name TBD Einst Queen Human Friendly assimilating horror none yet looks complete at first glance(apart form a name)
    Deadguy Raya Ship Captain Android AI-controlled ship none yet not yet
    LairdMaon Chase Gruber Monado phalanx cyborg none yet not yet

Also, I apparently never answered volthawk's question about wingmates, but yes, you can use that ability from the real pilot class.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-12-17 at 11:11 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138

Pretty sure LairdMaon made another character in place of that one but I can't find a link.
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2021-12-17 at 07:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

My sheet now has some fluff, might add more if I can between now and deadline. Also just noticed I didn't do manuevers, shouldn't be hard to do though.

Quote Originally Posted by YuweaCurtis View Post
    Pretty sure LairdMaon made another character in place of that one but I can't find a link.
    Yeah, he's talked about his Monado Maiden as his most recent idea a fair amount (hence why it was in my table rather than Chase), but as far as I can tell we haven't had the new sheet yet.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    . Yeah, he's talked about his Monado Maiden as his most recent idea a fair amount (hence why it was in my table rather than Chase), but as far as I can tell we haven't had the new sheet yet.
    Sorry about that. There were too many issues that came up during my process of putting her together, so I'm going back to Chase.

21. - Top - End - #141

NecromancerGirl

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to finish my application. Despite the work I've done, I haven't been able to work up enough enthusiasm for my own character to write a backstory for her, and I think QuadraticGish has the better idea for an Einst Queen anyway. Besides, I'm not even sure I like the Einst Queen mechanics all that much. I do, however, intend to follow this campaign after it starts, to see how Super Robot Wars d20 works in action - I've got my own idea for a campaign, after all!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

So I found a fatal flaw with Monado Phalanx I'm that they cannot fly or pilot anything that can fly. That won't do for space combat unless someone throws him at a target.

Back to Anita Degroin, Monado Maiden. She may not have a great singing voice, but she can often be heard humming, whistling, or singing this song because she identifies with it so well.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Sheet should be ready- I fit the background in Character Traits (since it's somewhat redundant with Personality) and the Subpilots stats in Other Notes.

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Do you want to see one being played? Dead of Winter Mafia is currently recruiting!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

updated table:

Player Sheet Class Race Concept Background Sheet complete
    YuweaCurtis Magitech Pilot none yet not yet
    NineOfSpades 9-Sigma Module Pilot Klaxosaur Dragon mecha none yet not yet
    Volthawk "Levi", EFS-11 Real Pilot Android Purpose-Built Defender on sheet looks complete at first glance
    QuadraticGish Siren Einst Queen/Monado Maiden Cyborg Weaponised queen on sheet looks complete at first glance
    Dr. Gunsforhands Warm Support Pilot Musk Rat Nice cat scientist on sheet looks complete at first glance
    Valmark Nike Williams Techno Thief Human Ship thief on sheet looks complete at first glance
    Dusk Raven Name TBD Einst Queen Human Friendly assimilating horror none yet looks complete at first glance(apart form a name)
    Deadguy Raya Ship Captain Android AI-controlled ship none yet not yet
    LairdMaon Anita Degroin Monado Maiden Android none yet looks complete at first glance

@deadguy, I just realized you'd used flaws on your sheet, but I'm afraid I'm not using those (if anyone wants to take flaws I won't stop you, but you won't get bonus feats). Sorry for not making that more explicit. It seems you're the only one that took flaws though. I'll do selection sometime this evening, so in about 10 hours or so.

@Valmark, what kind of position would your brother fill on the admiralty board? Science or engineering he might have gotten on the board on raw genius alone, but if it's more of a military position age is a bit of an issue (age-wise he'd more likely be your father or uncle or something like that in that case).

@drgunsforhands, what kind of position would the rest of your family have on the expedition?
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-12-19 at 06:51 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

@Valmark, what kind of position would your brother fill on the admiralty board? Science or engineering he might have gotten on the board on raw genius alone, but if it's more of a military position age is a bit of an issue (age-wise he'd more likely be your father or uncle or something like that in that case).
    Mmm I see, in that case I'd make him a genius scientist. It's less redundant with the doctor (who I should really call an engeneer then) and I'm not thrilled by him having a military position.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Small change in plans, yuwaecurtis ahs indicated that they can get their character in just a little past the deadline I had initially set. as that deadline is already sometime in the evening for me, I'll instead pick characters and get everything started sometime tomorrow (probably about 14 hours or so from now).

27. - Top - End - #147

Kobold

I just want to wish everyone that ends up playing the game to have fun ! this is what I get for being generally inactive on the forums. the premise and setting are all very intriguing but it wouldn't be fair to jump in with mere moments before the deadline and (unlikely) cut someone off who showed interest for a long time now.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

@drgunsforhands, what kind of position would the rest of your family have on the expedition?
    They're all civilian magic users. Warm is the oldest of his siblings and the only one who went into mech-piloting.

Relationship Name Class
    Me! Warm Crevice Support Staff
    Mom Smoky Wind Magewright
    Dad Wet Evening Adept
    Bro Hot Oven Sorcerer-Chef
    Sis Mild Sun Cleric-Lawyer
    Sis Red Iron Wizard-Artificer
    Best Friend
    (Not aboard)
    Sharp [???] Mecha Thief
    Nexus Character Pile

29. - Top - End - #149

Sorry for the delay, Evan Reines reporting for duty along with the bleeding edge Crimson Knight. I just gotta finish the skills but those will be up shortly.

Spoiler: Basic Information
    Show
    Evan Reines is a young man whom was volunteered for a science program designed to help humans adopt better to hostile environments. Not only that, but they double downed using some enhancements meant for soldiers and when the time came to launch the fleet he was designated one of the chief defenders of it. This was entirely voluntary for both him (well as much as he could understand it at a young age) and his parents so there's no ill will. His parents are scientists and his younger sister is a botanist.

He is serious about his job, but he also enjoys his work and is extremely outgoing.
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2021-12-20 at 07:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

OOC thread here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...OOC&p=25309349
    players:
    Player Sheet Class Race Concept
    YuweaCurtis Evan Rein Magitech Pilot Numan Magitech knight
    Volthawk "Levi", EFS-11 Real Pilot Android Purpose-Built Defender
    QuadraticGish Siren Einst Queen/Monado Maiden Cyborg Weaponised queen
    Dr. Gunsforhands Warm Support Pilot Musk Rat Nice cat scientist
    Valmark Nike Williams Techno Thief Human Ship thief
    LairdMaon Anita Degroin Monado Maiden Android