New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Adventure Awaits! Team Fun Heart!

Spoiler: Linked Threads
    Show

Spoiler: Private Threads
    Show
    Please only read the thread for your own team. Exploration and discovery is a large part of this game, so please don't ruin it for yourself by getting OOC information for an IC advantage.

Team Fun Heart!
    Character Race/Class Player
    Olympia Byron Rhai'selog Cleric Nomad Hermit
    Aerilya Human Rajah Deadguy
    Aven Elf Rogue Thundercracker

Your team wanders out of the Adventurers' Guild and seems slightly at a loss for what to do until morning.

Perhaps some last minute gear purchases? Arranging lodging for those with nowhere to stay? Frittering away your last few coins on booze?

Or maybe you just mill about and time skip to morning. It's up to you!
    Last edited by Rizban; 2023-04-24 at 10:48 AM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure Awaits! Team Fun Heart!

Olympia turns to her companions and open a confident smile.

Do you already have lodging for the night? I suggest we go to a tavern, drink something and know each other more, as we'll be sharing a dangerous road tomorrow. That is, after you finish other business that you might have. My things are at my room, but I would like to take off the armor before heading to the tavern - I don't think we'll face any monsters tonight and I would prefer to wear something more comfortable while we're here. She laughs in a polite and gentle way - warming but not too loud.

OOC - what are the accomodation options in the town?
    Is parsley scarier than nutmeg?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilya signed the documents and then looked at the board of quests while waiting for the others. Once they were outside, the mention of food and drink caused her to smile.

"I think that is a fine idea. The armor chafes after too long."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Before leaving the guild hall, Aven joins serious and reads the three flyers on the quest board.

Afterwards:

“Getting to know one another, and getting a good night’s rest ahead of a delve, is a good idea,” Aven said, “we should secure a room first before they are all booked.”

She led the way to find lodging for the three of them.

Spoiler
    Show
    suggest having the tavern / talking scenes in spoilers, and do the main delve concurrently to start right away.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-04-21 at 06:33 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, it appears that the two private rooms at the local inn are already occupied, as is the entire open floor space of the common room.

You know that the hay loft in the adventurer's guild house is available for 1 silver per person per night.

You could also ask around to see if any of the locals have spare rooms or space in a barn that you could rent out, but that will require actually asking around, since how you approach the situation will give different results.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Unfortunately, it appears that the two private rooms at the local inn are already occupied, as is the entire open floor space of the common room.

You know that the hay loft in the adventurer's guild house is available for 1 silver per person per night.

You could also ask around to see if any of the locals have spare rooms or space in a barn that you could rent out, but that will require actually asking around, since how you approach the situation will give different results.
    Aven

"I am used to sleeping outdoors, so the hay loft is fine with me, anyone have objections?" Aven asked.
    Assuming nobody has any issues, she'll secure spots at the hay loft and then find a seat at the tavern for the three of them and order a drink, something light.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, what do y'all think, tavern swap stories in spoilers while we time skip to the delve?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-04-24 at 11:34 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

You arrive at the guild hall to discover that there are only four open slots remaining, so you quickly reserve three of them for the night, paying the cost of 3 silver. (I already adjusted the silver value on your sheet.) You are informed that the doors are locked promptly at 10pm, and no late arrivals will be admitted. No refunds. Disturbing the other adventurers will get you kicked out (and likely beaten up).
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #8

Spoiler
    Show
    I think that it's a great idea to swap and time skip

I ask if there is a safe lock to put our stuff in while we're at the tavern.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lenon3579 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think that it's a great idea to swap and time skip

I ask if there is a safe lock to put our stuff in while we're at the tavern.
    There is not.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #10

With a sigh, Olympia goes to a reserved part, takes out her armor, changes to a more daily clothing, and organizes her stuff in the backpack so she takes it with her.

After that, she returns to the common room and asks, What are the options for a bit of quality food and drink in this town?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilya removed her armor, placing it by her backpack and weapon. She hung the hammock across two beams and threw her blanket over it. With her items neatly tucked away, she was ready for a meal and drink at the tavern. Once the others were sorted with their gear, she accompanied them to the tavern and ordered herself a hearty meal and a mug of ale.

After dinner, with only one drink had, she recommended heading back and getting a good night rest to ensure early preparations for their dive into the dungeon.

Spoiler: Evening Stories
    Show
    "So... you both chose to risk life and limb for great adventure. I, myself, am seeking to grow stronger... Less for the fame and riches."

12. - Top - End - #12

Seeing what Aerilya was doing, Olympia turns to her and says

I don't think it's a good idea to leave your stuff unattended like that. Most people here will never be around this village again, leaving tomorrow morning to where they came from, or dying in the dungeon below, so you'd probably never see your things back again.

Spoiler: In The Tavern
    Show
    Heh, neither do I care for money or fame. Money my family already has, and fame is more a hindrance than a bliss. I thirst for knowledge of things past. I'm curious to what befell the former inhabitants of the dungeon, but my biggest hope is to find any clue about the origins of my people and the truth behind its myth.. or at least about where to find those clues.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilya paused in her steps and looked around suspiciously. "Brigands?"

She sighed and began packing her armor into the hammock. She could use the polearm as a pole to carry the whole thing over her shoulder to the tavern, where she placed it in a corner close to their table where she had a good view of it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Food and drink for the night costs each of you 5cp.

You awake the following morning refreshed, mostly undisturbed throughout the night despite the crowded conditions in the converted hay loft. (Don't forget to prepare magic if you do so.)

You arrive back at Margaux's estate. It turns out that her family is one of the wealthiest among the locals. Her parents (former nobles of the nearest kingdom) gladly have their kitchen staff prepare extra food for their eldest daughter's friends while her younger brother sulks that he's not old enough to delve the dungeon until his birthday next year.

You awake the following morning refreshed and prepare for the day. (Don't forget to prepare magic if you do so.)

As you approach the location of the dungeon, you an ancient stone structure built into the side of a particularly steep hill that has become partially hidden by overgrown foliage. The entrance is an arched doorway with a heavy stone door that appears to have been forced open multiple times.

As you draw closer, you see a group of adventurers gathered at the entrance listening to the Baroness Silverheart speak, a no-nonsense scowl marring her face.

As you approach and take your place with the other two groups delving this morning, the guildmistress turns her attention to all of you.

"Greetings, adventurers," she says in a commanding voice. "I hope you are prepared for the challenges ahead. If you failed to prepare, you have prepared to fail. It won't be only your life that you lose but that of your friends and allies as well."

She studies your group for a moment before continuing, "Inside, there are three paths. Each team will follow a separate path. Let's see... you lot," she says as she points to the group containing Aerilya and her allies, "will take the leftmost path. The rightmost path with be..." she seems to waffle for a moment between the two teams before pointing to the team including Margaux, "you three. And the last of you will take the middle path.

The original plan was to send parties in every hour, but after further investigation of the dungeon, that will prove to be too frequent. As such, entries will be spaced three hours apart. That's a minimum of three hours you'll need to wait for the next party to catch up to you if you get into trouble.

Remember, if you flee the dungeon, you'll be allowed to leave largely unmolested, but if you deviate from a direct exit, the dungeon will punish you for making light of its good graces. Once you decide to leave, do not tarry, do not explore, do not gather additional loot. Just leave. I can't repeat that enough for new delvers, since we always seem to lose at least a handful of teams to this foolishness.

Once you leave, it will be a few days before your turn to delve comes up again in rotation; however, you're free to buy a slot from another team, sell your own time slot, trade it or, or do whatever. It's your time slot to do with as you please.

But this being your only delve for the moment, make the best of it. Go as deep as you can, but don't get yourself killed. Be aware of your status and situations, push yourself to the limit but not beyond. And remember, if you do somehow manage to reach the boss chamber, do not enter it.

Now, if you are ready to proceed, then I bid you fair fortunes.
    "

With that, Baroness Sylera nods to the team of obviously high-level adventurers guarding the entrance. They step aside to allow you to pass.

The two teams of player characters are passingly familiar with each other due to their interactions yesterday.

The third team is not a group any of you recognize. It consists of four members, a tall human male wearing hide armor strapped over a threadbare robe adorned with the holy symbols of three different deities whose followers normally war with one another; two female half-elves similar enough to be related both dressed in varying shades of green, one clearly missing her right eye; and an armad warrior who seems imposing despite his small stature and missing left arm.

The four of them eye your parties warily before giving you firm nods of acknowledgment. They seem to be waiting for one of your teams to enter the dungeon first, unwilling to be the first into that looming darkness.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilya drew the polearm, holding it at the ready and stepping forward.

"I'll take the lead. Once we secure the entrance, Aven, you'll be on point for traps until we encounter another room or enemies."

With that short plan in place, she aligned herself to her ancestors. She set the stone that shone like a torch into orbit around her head and stepped into the darkness.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Release Ioun Torch into orbit
    Assume Spoils of War stance (1 essence assigned): successful attacks heal allies by 4 hp

Spoiler: Night Stories
    Show

"Oh... a creation myth. Those are always profound. What is yours?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Aven

"Very well," Aven said as she assumed point and led the way into the dungeon, keeping her senses tuned for any traps.

Tavern:
    Spoiler
    Show

Aven listened intently as the others spoke.
    "I, too, am looking into the past. I suspect this dungeon holds some clues about the history of this region, and I am curious. That, and the obvious, of course," Aven said.

Riz: Was there anything of note on the adventurer's board? The three flyers?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-04-26 at 08:09 AM.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Quest Board
    Show
    You approach the quest board to find three posted quests.

Collect 10 Minor Medicinal Herbs
    The influx of visitors has caused Fizzlewick, the local healer, to run low on supplies of minor medicinal herbs that he uses to treat common illnesses and injuries.
    Location: The herbs grow in the nearby forest but can be difficult to find for the untrained. However, the herbs have also been identified as spawning on the first floor of the dungeon.
    Rewards: Fizzlewick will reward the quest with coin or supplies, with a bonus for herbs in excellent condition.
    Additional Information: The Minor Medicinal Herb is a small, unremarkable plant that grows in the shade of the forest canopy. It can be identified by its heart-shaped leaves, delicate purple flowers, and dark purple berries. The plant is not poisonous, but it can be easily mistaken for the similar-looking but highly dangerous Deadly Nightshade. Exercise caution when collecting the herbs and take care not to confuse them with the Nightshade.
    This quest can be repeated any number of times, as long as the shortage remains.

Collect 5 Monster Pelts
    The local tanner has requested the help of adventurers in collecting five monster pelts to be used in his leatherworking.
    Location: Monster pelts can be found in the local dungeon. Pelts from nearby wandering monsters are also acceptable.
    Rewards: Up to 5 silver per pelt, depending on the quality. Pelts from deeper dungeon levels will receive higher reward, to be negotiated.
    Additional Information: Pelts must be intact and free from holes or major blemishes. Damaged pelts will not receive full payment due to having less usable material.
    This quest can be repeated any number of times, as long as the tanner has insufficient leather stock.

Collect Delectable Ingredients
    Chef Galen is a renowned chef always looking for fresh, interesting ingredients to use in his dishes. He's heard of the new dungeon and wants samples of any new or unique edible ingredients found within with a focus on herbs and spices but fruits, vegetables, and even meats are acceptable.
    Rewards:
    • Each already known ingredient reported to exist in the dungeon will receive a payment of 1 gold coin on first report.
    • Each newly discovered unknown ingredient will receive a reward of 10 gold.
    • Any unknown ingredient which sparks creative inspiration will receive an appropriate bonus.
    Additional Information: There is no set list of required items for this quest; however, Chef Galen will not pay for the same item twice. He is interested only in the new and undiscovered and will be keeping a detailed catalog of all discovered ingredients.
    This quest will remain open until Chef Galen determines that the dungeon potential for interesting ingredients has been exhausted.

You step through the entrance and feel an instant of dysphoria as the nature of reality seems to shift around you for the briefest of moments.

You are shocked to find that the rather small, grassy hill which houses the dungeon entrance also appears to hold a massive cave within. Large openings into the world "outside(?)" reveals vast jungles that have intruded open the cave and nearly swallowed the rumbling ruins of an ancient civilization.

Spoiler: The Cave
    Show

Three paths with clearly worn trails open before you.

To the left, a short flight of stairs leads deeper into the ruins. Stone temples, decrepit stone houses, palaces, and large open spaces between them can be seen in the distance.

To the right yawns the open mouth of the cave, the path passes through it and into the deeper jungle before becoming lost in the overgrown undergrowth.

Straight ahead is a darkened tunnel leading down deeper into a network of dank, damp caverns. This is the only path which does not appear to have ample ambient lighting.

You head off to the left, passing through an archway carved with the faded gylphs of an ancient language, too worn to be read as anything but a scattering of unconnected symbols and cracked, flaking gaps where words once might have been.

You pass through a short, dark tunnel 10 feet wide and tall and step out into nearly blinding sunlight as it filters down through the jungle canopy above. The air is hot and humid, and the sounds of jungle creatures fill the air. You hear the buzzing of insects, the chirping of birds, and the rustling of leaves as animals move through the jungle.

As your eyes adjust, you find that you have entered into a large, open courtyard surrounded by crumbling stone walls and the remains of ancient buildings. The air is dry and dusty, and the sun beats down mercilessly from above. The courtyard is strewn with debris, broken pottery, and tangles of vines and weeds that have grown up through the cracks in the stone, making the floor treacherous and difficult terrain.

The courtyard is about 40 feet wide and 60 feet long, with two lines of stone columns rising along each side, some of which have toppled to the ground. Looking around, you realize that there are no gaps between the buildings, and any doors or windows appear to be only shallow depressions in the stone giving the appears of openings. The only other exit is a large tunnel on the exact opposite of the courtyard from the one you entered through.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilya paused and looked around the courtyard.

"This appears to be a fine place for a trap or ambush... Aven, if you'd check and I'll keep you covered in case it's the latter."

Her eyes glowed in a red orange manner, as she prepared to unless the Sun's gleam at a target, should one present itself.

Show

None.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Aven moved to the left most portion of the courtyard, thinking to move across along the wall. She kept her senses peeled for any traps or animals planning an ambush.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

As you make your way into the courtyard, you spot movement near the top of the pile of rubble remnants of a fallen column. It's a goblin!

The goblin notices you at the same time and immediately lets out a trilling shout, a second later, an identical shout in the distance calls out in response!

Initiative!
    Aven - (1d20+2)[18]
    Aerilya - (1d20)[18]
    Goblin - (1d20+6)[13]
    Olympia - (1d20-1)[11]

Spoiler: Notes
    Show
    The goblin is at the top of a pile of rubble that is approximately 10 feet high. Two sides are completely vertical while the other two have about 15 feet of "ramp" leading up to its position. The location provides good visibility of the surroundings but does not offer the goblin any sort of cover unless it drops prone.

The floor is Difficult Terrain, requiring double movement and preventing any sort of charge. The "ramps" leading up will require a successful Acrobatics check to balance or Athletics check to climb.

Aerilya and Aven are against the left wall about 10 feet into the room. Olivia is still near the entrance.

The goblin is about halfway across the room from the entrance.

Here's a map of basically what you're facing.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

You can post in any order, and I'll resolve actions in initiative order as possible and do my best to make adjustments if the situation changes before your actual turn to keep the spirit of your posted actions as closely as possible.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2023-04-26 at 01:57 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

21. - Top - End - #21

Olympia ate her breakfast as normal, but decided not to fill herself with faith, so she could focus her powers on the dungeon ahead. If the exploring end up taking more than one day she would deal with sustenance when necessity comes.

She has been in silence since the team arrived at the entrance, just observing the surroundings. As Aven was about to check for traps she silently gestures for her to wait a bit, and casts an orison over her. May the Truth guide you.

After that she murmurs something and scans the caverns and ruins around, carefully.

Show

Guidance on Aven,
    then Detec Magic

Spoiler: Tavern
    Show
    I think that maybe the tale of our people is familiar to you. A long long time ago our ancestors defended a god that was being attacked by another deity, but couldn't save it. So they just bathed on its blood and performed some rituals. That way we are forever cursed to rely on "eating" divine energy to survive. Kinda like vampires, but instead of blood, we suck faith. I don't know how much truth that ancient story holds, but I do know that the results are very concrete, as I do need to consume a certain amount of divine power everyday to survive. I'm searching for the cause to see if it's possible to undo that curse.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing the threat, Aerilya moves over the rubble toward the center of room. She hoped that those coming would rush to her, leaving Aven in a position to flank them.

Her eyes burned red as they shot out a bolt of akashic energy at the goblin. When it struck, it left residual energy in the space that the goblin was occupying. The energy crackled and began to condense, making it obvious that the area should be avoided in a short time.

Show

Move Action: 15 ft toward center.
    Standard Action: Silver Strike using Sun's Gleam as weapon.
    Ranged Touch Attack (better of 2): (1d20+5)[25] / (1d20+5)[13]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[8]

Free Action: Memory activated. Any creature in the goblin's space at beginning of my next turn will take 2d6 damage
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2023-04-26 at 02:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Seeing her companion's good work on the goblin, Olympia grins and then reaches out with her conscience to try to detect how many other sencient creatures are about, while walking to position herself near Aerilya.

Show

Detect Thoughts
    Movement toward the center of the room (tile 9F)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Aven spots the goblin atop the column and quickly looses a pair of arrows, one right after the other.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack: (2d20)[5][6](11)
    Damage: (2d6)[2][1](3)

They’re two separate attacks , I just didn’t want to type out the codes twice from my phone:

If the goblin is already dead before Aven attacks, Perception to determine where the second one is: (1d20+5)[9]
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Aven spins and looses two arrows into the air which zip right past the goblin with narrow misses.

Aerilya steps closer and unleashes an akashic strike, which grievously wounds the goblin.

Dropping to one knee while holding its stomach in pain, the goblin manages to overcome the pain long enough to shoot back at the one that caused it to suffer.

short bow - (1d20+4)[23](1d4)[3]

The goblin's arrow pierces deep into Aerilya's shoulder with a meaty thunk!

Olympia begins attempting to locate any other hidden creatures but does not immediately find any in the room.

Noticing that the goblin doesn't move from its perch, Aven and Aerilya delay in the following round. The memory of Aerilya's attack deals just barely enough damage to the goblin to render it unconscious.

Olympia continues to search the room, finding that there are no other goblins that she can detect with her spell.

One of Aven's two arrows can be recovered while the other has broken.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2023-04-27 at 11:20 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilya grunted in surprise at taking a shot from the vile creature. Calling on the blessings of her forefathers, she hardened the skin on her shoulder, preventing it from piercing. She moved forward still, to be in the center width-wise of the room and even with the pillar length wise.

"You're a bit more agile than I. Would you do the honor of searching that little brute and taking up an overwatch position before I advance?" She called out to Aven.

Show

Immediate: Bolster counter - reduce attack by 3 damage
    Movement to central area even with pillar.
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2023-04-27 at 12:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Olympia continues walking towards the center of the room. She asks to Areilya Are you ok? How hurt are you? while maintaing concentration and shifting the focus of her mind to out of the chamber, to see if she can detect any minds out there.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not dangerously. The gifts of my ancestors protected me from any damage it could have dealt."
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2023-04-27 at 12:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    Aerilya grunted in surprise at taking a shot from the vile creature. Calling on the blessings of her forefathers, she hardened the skin on her shoulder, preventing it from piercing. She moved forward still, to be in the center width-wise of the room and even with the pillar length wise.

"You're a bit more agile than I. Would you do the honor of searching that little brute and taking up an overwatch position before I advance?" She called out to Aven.

Show

Immediate: Bolster counter - reduce attack by 3 damage
    Movement to central area even with pillar.
    Aven nods and clambers up the ramp to the outlook where the goblin was.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lenon3579 View Post
    Olympia continues walking towards the center of the room. She asks to Areilya Are you ok? How hurt are you? while maintaing concentration and shifting the focus of her mind to out of the chamber, to see if she can detect any minds out there.
    You note no other minds in the room, not even of animal or lesser intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Aven nods and clambers up the ramp to the outlook where the goblin was.
    skill check - (1d20+2)[4]
    Results from Discord roller: 7, 21.

On the third attempt, you manage to climb up to the location of the goblin, who is quite thoroughly dead.

As you approach the goblin with the intent to search it for loot, the body and its equipment dissolves into dust which quickly vanishes into nothingness. Left behind is a neatly stacked pile containing 18 copper coins.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2023-04-28 at 02:54 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List