New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Red Scholar & Red Knight, a variant take on Mystic Theurge and Focklucan Lyrist

Magic is everything

Red Scholar

Students of faith and the arcane, these mages travel the world in search of its secrets. They seek to understand everything the world has to offer. The path they walk requires that they understand the basic interactions of all magic and see the nature of the world for what it truly is, at least at a glimpse. They seek to gather and, preserve, and beyond all else, share the knowledge of history.

Requirements

Skills: Knowledge(Religion) 6 ranks, Knowledge(Arcane) 6 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks
    Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 2nd level Arcane and 2nd level Divine spells
    Feats & Special: Any one of Southern Magician, Alternate Source Spell, or Hermetic Magician*, or Access to the spell domain, or the ability to prepare divine spells from a prayer or spellbook.

Spoiler: New Feat: Hermetic Magician
    Show

Hermetic Magician
    Metamagic Feat

Prerequisites: Ability to cast 3rd level spells, ability to cast divine spells, ability to cast arcane spells

You can prepare or cast a spell using two spells slots gained from two classes. A spell prepared this way uses two spell slots of the same level, one from a arcane spellcasting class and one from a divine spellcasting class. A spell cast spontaneously with this metamagic uses an additional spell slot not holding a spell from a class with a different casting type, arcane or divine, the same level of the spell being cast. In either case the effected spell need not be a spell available to both classes but must be a spell available to one of them. A spell with this metamagic applied gains the following benefits.

The spell is cast at +2 CL. The spell save DC of the spell is increased by one half the spell level, rounded down. The spell counts as both arcane and divine wherever it would be beneficial, such as ignoring arcane spell failure. Creatures suffer a -6 penalty and spellcraft checks to identify the spell and to counterspell attempts. You gain a +4 bonus to rolls to overcome spell resistance with this casting of the spell.

Hit Die: 1d6
    Skill Points: 4 + int
    Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (all), Profession, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device, Fly(if using pathfinder fly rules)

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting
    1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Journey's Aid +1 level of one Divine spellcasting Class, +1 level of one Arcane spellcasting Class
    2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 — +1 level of one Divine spellcasting Class, +1 level of one Arcane spellcasting Class
    3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 — +1 level of one Divine spellcasting Class, +1 level of one Arcane spellcasting Class
    4th +2 +1 +1 +4 To the Seas +1 level of one Divine spellcasting Class, +1 level of one Arcane spellcasting Class
    5th +2 +1 +1 +4 — +1 level of one Divine spellcasting Class, +1 level of one Arcane spellcasting Class
    6th +3 +2 +2 +5 — +1 level of one Divine spellcasting Class, +1 level of one Arcane spellcasting Class
    7th +3 +2 +2 +5 Unseen Companion +1 level of one Divine spellcasting Class, +1 level of one Arcane spellcasting Class
    8th +4 +2 +2 +6 — +1 level of one Divine spellcasting Class, +1 level of one Arcane spellcasting Class
    9th +4 +3 +3 +6 — +1 level of one Divine spellcasting Class, +1 level of one Arcane spellcasting Class
    10th +5 +3 +3 +7 To the Skies +1 level of one Divine spellcasting Class, +1 level of one Arcane spellcasting Class

Spellcasting: Refer to table

Journey's Aid (SP): At 1st level you gain the ability to summon a mount to aid in your travels. You can summon a mount as the mount spell for a number of hours per day equal to twice your class level. You don't need to use all of these hours consecutively but must spend them in 2 hour increments. You can substitute any ride check made regarding this mount with a spellcraft check.

To the Seas(SU): At 4th level you gain the ability to command ships alone to aid on journeys. You can mentally control the rigging of any ship you're riding on. You count as a number of people equal to your highest caster level for the purposes of manning a ship. You can substitute any Profession (sailor) check you make with a spellcraft check.

Spoiler: Inspiration
    Show
    This class itself and especially the first two features are inspired by a pathfinder ACF for wizards called Polyhiera's Adherent. This may or may not exist just because i like that a lot,

Unseen Companion(SP): At 7th level you can cast the spell Unseen Servant, Mass at will as a spell like ability. Treat the caster level of this ability as your class level. The effect of this spell like ability ends early if you use it again.

To the Skies (SP): At 10th level you can cast the spell Overland flight once per day as a spell-like ability. When cast this way treat your caster level as your class level. Additionally you can target a number of other willing creatures equal to your class level to also be effected by the spell.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

2. - Top - End - #2

Chimera

Default Re: Red Scholar & Red Knight, a variant take on Mystic Theurge and Focklucan Lyrist

Maybe, but i can still stab you.

Red Knight

Not normally knights of any specific order, but a group of exceptional individuals. Each with their own goals and loyalties, and only a mutual respect for each other to connect them. They often work together for esoteric ends but just as often end up fighting for petty reasons. Joining their ranks is often a long and taxing processes that leaves one all the better for the struggle.

Requirements:

Skills: Diplomacy 7, Gather Information 7, Knowledge (any three) 7, Perform (any) 7, Speak Language (any 7)
    Spells: Ability to cast 3rd level Arcane and Divine spells
    BaB: +4
    Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (any), Quicken Spell
    Special: Must have either been given a Red Knight's Red Coat* or taken one from a defeated Red Knight in a duel.

Spoiler: The Red Coat
    Show

The Red Knights always wear a elaborate red cloak when in public unless in disguise. While these coats have no inherent magical value, at least usually, they are a sign of status worthy of great respect. While not required to be worn at all times, it would be considered a violation of roleplay not to wear one.

A Red Coat, authentic or not, costs 500 GP and bestows a +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidation checks to the wearer. Most Red Knights customize their coats to their style. They are always worn proudly over any armor. A damaged Red Coat should be replaced or repaired at the nearest opportunity.

While anyone can make a elaborate coat and call themselves a Red Knight, and many do, actual Red Knights always earn one, usually by training under or proving themselves to a existing Red Knight or Red Knights, or by defeating one in single combat and taking theirs as a reward. A Red Knight can always tell if a person has earned their coat or merely stole or fabricated one, in which case the false knight has a -7 to all charisma based skill checks relating to a true knight and the bonus granted by the coat is negated. A Red Knight is honor bound to not offer aid to a false knight, and usually enjoys mocking them.

Hit Dice: d8
    Skill Points: 6 + Int
    Class Skills: All skills the Red Knight had as class skills in any other class they have taken levels in.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting
    1st +1 +2 +0 +2 Arcane Edge, Divine Shield, Spell Fusion +1 arcane spellcasting class, +1 divine spellcasting class
    2nd +2 +3 +0 +3 — +1 arcane spellcasting class, +1 divine spellcasting class
    3rd +3 +3 +1 +3 Fusion Quicken +1 arcane spellcasting class, +1 divine spellcasting class
    4th +4 +4 +1 +4 — +1 arcane spellcasting class, +1 divine spellcasting class
    5th +5 +4 +1 +4 — +1 arcane spellcasting class, +1 divine spellcasting class
    6th +6 +5 +2 +5 — +1 arcane spellcasting class, +1 divine spellcasting class
    7th +7 +5 +2 +5 — +1 arcane spellcasting class, +1 divine spellcasting class
    8th +8 +6 +2 +6 — +1 arcane spellcasting class, +1 divine spellcasting class
    9th +9 +6 +3 +6 — +1 arcane spellcasting class, +1 divine spellcasting class
    10th +10 +7 +3 +7 — +1 arcane spellcasting class, +1 divine spellcasting class

Spellcasting: Refer to table.

Arcane Edge(SU): When casting a arcane spell that deals damage, you gain a bonus on weapon damage rolls until the end of your next turn equal to 1d6 + that spell's level. This bonus damage is of the type the spell dealt.

Divine Shield(SU): When you cast a divine spell you gain a bonus to your AC and all Saving Throws equal to that spell's level until the end of your next turn.

Spell Fusion(SU): A number of times per day equal to 3 + your your class level when you cast a arcane or divine spell, you can choose to cast that spell as a Fusion spell. Fusion spells gain a competence bonus to their caster level equal to your class level to a maximum of your character level. They also count as either or both Arcane or Divine wherever it would be beneficial, such as ignoring arcane spell failure or bypassing spell resistance to divine spells.

Quick Fusion(SU): At 3rd level you can expend a spell slot or prepared spell of 4th level or higher as well as use a second use of your Spell Fusion ability to apply the quicken spell metamagic to a Fusion Spell.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2021-11-15 at 01:35 AM.

I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.

3. - Top - End - #3

Chimera

Default Re: Red Scholar & Red Knight, a variant take on Mystic Theurge and Focklucan Lyrist

Reserved 2 electric boogaloo. Also, what do you think?

4. - Top - End - #4

ClericGuy

A couple notes:

Regarding the Red Scholar, I'm noting a number of "Command" abilities, such as "To the seas." However, I don't normally associate scholars with having a chain of command, whereas a knight would have a chain of command. Is there a reason why you are placing these "Command" abilities on the Scholar and not on the Knight? This is especially relevant as the Knights don't really have any abilities after level 3.

In fact, I might even take the Spell Fusion ability from the Red Knight and give it to the Red Scholar, while the Red Scholar should give the "To the Seas" and "Journey's Aid" ability to the Red Knight.

Which leads me to another point, though: The Red Knight requires 3rd level Arcane and Divine spellcasting, while the Red Scholar only requires 2nd level spells. Is this intentional?

The application of the full dual spellcasting on the Red Knight along with full BAB might be too powerful, though. I'd at least kick it down to 2/3 BAB instead of full.

Hope this helps!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In a mountain after a cave-in.

MY STATS OFF THE ELITE ARRAY:
    Str: 14 Dex: 8 Con: 12 Int: 15 Wis: 10 Cha: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    I wish I had you for a DM...
    Please critique my 5e Beguiler Wizard subclass!

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...izard-Subclass

5. - Top - End - #5

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by GreyBlack View Post
    A couple notes:

Regarding the Red Scholar, I'm noting a number of "Command" abilities, such as "To the seas." However, I don't normally associate scholars with having a chain of command, whereas a knight would have a chain of command. Is there a reason why you are placing these "Command" abilities on the Scholar and not on the Knight? This is especially relevant as the Knights don't really have any abilities after level 3.

In fact, I might even take the Spell Fusion ability from the Red Knight and give it to the Red Scholar, while the Red Scholar should give the "To the Seas" and "Journey's Aid" ability to the Red Knight.

Which leads me to another point, though: The Red Knight requires 3rd level Arcane and Divine spellcasting, while the Red Scholar only requires 2nd level spells. Is this intentional?

The application of the full dual spellcasting on the Red Knight along with full BAB might be too powerful, though. I'd at least kick it down to 2/3 BAB instead of full.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the feedback. The logic for Red Scholar being like this is because I thought Mystic Theurge is boring if very practically powerful assuming early entry. So I wanted it to be mostly fluff abilities. The first two are basically adaptations of a pathfinder wizard ACF thing that I liked the flavor of. A traveling scholar that gets abilities to help travel, a horse, the ability to run a ship alone, etc. The last two are just abilities I thought fit the theme.

As for Red Knight. It’s meant to be a later game PrC that you get into after jumping through a lot of hoops. The 7 skill req is something I should change, realistically you aren’t getting in until 9 at least so the skill ranks should be 11. I made that one for a homebrew setting I made a while back where it’s basically a Focklucan Lyrist style class. Though honestly I think a better idea would be knocking it down to 3/4th BAB like you said and giving it more class features. I thought about giving it some fighter feats to support the exotic weapon stuff but honestly that’s a bit much. Rebalancing this is gonna be a headache.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Skills: Knowledge(Religion) 6 ranks, Knowledge(Arcane) 6 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks
    Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 2nd level Arcane and 2nd level Divine spells
    Feats & Special: Any one of Southern Magician, Alternate Source Spell, or Hermetic Magician*, or Access to the spell domain, or the ability to prepare divine spells from a prayer or spellbook.
    So the first class is a theurgy class that assumes early access?
    You can benefit from it as early as level 4. (3 levels in wizard, 1 level in archivist and alternate source spell then that prc)
    Then the second class seems to be a follow up for the first one.
    Earliest entry for red knight is level 6 spell domain cleric but it is a pretty poor entry for that class because you do not have two classes to progress.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-11-15 at 10:21 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Hermetic Magician seems cool but seems a little overpowered as is. But I like the idea of both these PrCs and the rest seems well done.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors