New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default A Friendly Neighborhood Potluck

Words can hardly describe the complex beauty of the reef. Thousands of colors swirl together in complex patterns, reflected by thousands of tiny fish. Eels flit in and out of rocks while slow-moving sharks cast shadows as they drift overhead. The rocky coral-encrusted landscape is packed with biologically diverse species. Some are even sentient. While the coral is the main dweller in these waters, many species come from far and wide to visit the reef. The reef is a peaceful place. Its residents live in awe of its almost unnatural beauty. Maybe that is what keeps them in line.

Maryus sits waiting. After it was decided that the reef should branch out and try to connect with the other sentient species, things had gotten crazy. The reef was abuzz with talk. Some colonies were nervous that the outsiders would upset the balance of the reef while others thought that new outside interaction would make the reef thrive. Either way, people were excited. Maryus didn’t know what to think. Maryus didn't like talking to people but this would probably mean they have to. An invitation had been issued out to the other regions in the hopes of inviting them to get together so we can all get to know each other. Maryus had been put in charge of organizing… as usual. Now they sat at the edge of the open sandy plane which would act as the location for the party. So much Maryus had to do. Bioluminescent plankton needed to be convinced to direct guests but the plankton was often difficult to keep in one place and Maryus didn't want to deal with that. The next issue was decorating. It had to be perfect since guests from far and wide were coming. Right now the sandpit is just a big, flat, bed of sand sunken into the reef. It needed pazazz. Maryus would have to move rocks to make tables and seating areas and make sure there was enough space for all the food. So much to do. Better get started.

Maryus stretched their rocky legs. They were a special colony. Maryus’s polyps surrounded and held together a collection of rocks and bones to make a vaguely humanoid shape standing about 5ft tall. Instead of ahead, they had a third, arm-like appendage that leaned over to the left. Since Maryus had limbs that meant that they had to do all the hard work… also because they were too afraid to say no.

Two days had passed and it was the day of the big party. Maryus had just finished stringing together the lines of shiny, mother of pearl pendants so that they reflected the light in a variety of pretty colors all across the sandy floor. The floor was interspersed with stony tables and benches with some wide-open spaces where guests could play games. On the far end of the field, some thermal vents had been opened and a cooking station had been set up. Everything was ready.

Coral encrusted turtles, mini whales, and smaller humanoid coral shapes ran to and fro getting the last few things set. The smaller humanoid coral was less sophisticated so they were not given as hard tasks. They consisted of a somewhat round torso and two stubby rocky legs which they would use to run around on the ocean floor.

Maryus sat in a corner away from the crowd. Maryus hated crowds. Yet for some reason they were selected to greet all the newcomers. Maryus was terrified. They considered making a run for it but they knew that would never work. They would just have to suck it up.

The guests began to arrive, following the paths of bioluminescent plankton. If they had food they were directed to a table to place it and were prompted to fill out a small card with information about the dish. Maryus tried to greet people as they came but they brushed off their weak chemical signals and headed for the food or games. Eventually, Maryus decided to just leave a large welcome signal at the entrance and go sulk in the corner.

“Hello all. Welcome to the grand reef in our lovely Protected Statera. Help yourselves to food and games. If you need anything I guess you can come find me. I’m Maryus. You can just ask for me… or you could just ask someone else your question. They will probably know. We all look forward to getting to know you.”

The Party:

The party takes place in a large, roughly circular pit of sand sunken into the reef. It is colorfully decorated and divided into 3 main sections. Entering the party from the plankton path puts you in a moderately sized open area intended for greeting. To the left is a larger open area with game pieces set up for groups to use at their leisure. To the right, there is a line of thermal vents positioned under a large flat rock both for cooking and keeping food warm. There is also a section for food that doesn’t need to be kept warm. Guests can place their delicacies on the table and leave a small note explaining what their dish is and any other information about it they wish. Straight forward from the entrance is a large area full of benches and tables for guests to talk, eat, and interact.

There are three main games:

Kelphole: (Cornhole)
    Teams of one or two take turns throwing colorful rocks and trying to land them in a hole on a raised board placed on the ground. 3 points to land it in the hole, 2 for landing it on the board, and 1 for hitting the board.

Each round payers roll 3 1d8. On a 7 or 8, they land the rock in the hole. On a 6 or 5, they land the rock on the board. On a 4 the rock bounces off and on 3, 2, and 1 they miss. Players decide beforehand how many rounds they want to play.
    8-7: 3 points
    6-5: 2 points
    4: 1 point
    3-1: 0 points

Keep-up: (badminton)
    Teams of two compete to keep a rock with feathery plants growing off the ground. There is a line drawn in the sand that players can’t cross and if the rock lands on the ground, whichever side it hits loses 1 point. Teams start at 5 and first to 0 loses.

Players roll 1d8 to determine the outcome. Whenever a player loses a roll they lose one point. If players don't mind a bit more rolling and a chance for some epicness, when a player loses a roll they can roll a 1d4 and on a 4 they save it and don’t lose a point. (decided which rules you will play with beforehand)

Puffer Bowling: (Bowling)
    Players compete by rolling pufferfish down an ally at a group of tall rocks arranged in a triangle pattern. The fish will expand on contact with the rock so accuracy is key.

Players roll a 1d4 to determine if they hit the rocks. On a 1 they miss. On anything else, they roll a 1d10 and get that many points.

Food:

The dwellers of the reef have set out some popular local cuisine for their guests. The coral themselves don’t really have a wide variety of cuisine. The other dwellers of the reef however have gotten creative over the years.

The first delicacy is an appetizer made from a small brown sweet fruit that grows on a specific type of kelp which is stuffed with whale cheese and wrapped in Sea Pig bacon.

The next dish is composed of a slab of fish that has been blackened and wrapped up with some other seasonings.

The last dish is a sweet, thick paste that is made from ground seeds. It has a nutty taste somewhere between peanut butter and almond paste.

Who to talk to:

Maryus:
    *description soon*
    Biff:
    *description soon*
    Leo:
    *description soon*
    Marven the Mournful Manatee
    *description soon*
    Last edited by Ivor_The_Mad; 2022-04-03 at 09:39 AM.
    Come to the dark side; we have pop-tarts.
    "Is no fun. Is no Blinsky" "He is... FIZBOP THUNDERTOES!!!!!"

Spoiler: The Night of the Living Thread
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    We, as humans, have incisors. Those are made for tearing flesh and meat.
    Meat tastes good.
    If we aren't supposed to eat people, then why are they made of meat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: A Friendly Neighborhood Potluck

Ginidu, minor noble and senior scribe, arrived with his group. He wasn't sure what this would give, but he was trained as negotiator, even though he didn't have any powers at the moment. He could only listen and couldn't even make any promises except to tell the rulers back home. They were directed to a table where the cooks would set-up the food they had brought, some starfish with different seasonings.

As soon as they were getting well underway, Ginidu would move off to have a look at other things and talk to the other people present. His underlings, except a few who would stay with the food to talk to people that way, would do the same.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #3

Three mer swam serenely through the waters of the Protected Strata, seemingly unmoved by its beauty and grandeur. As they approached the site of the... what had the envoy called it? The pot-luck? Each of the three swam off in a different direction, single-minded but no less tranquil.

One, carrying the food, approached the table, setting up an arrangement of a kelp dish in long, thin strips with small seeds attached along the length of it. Lacking anything to indicate the provenance or contents of the dish, Marsuc Ilient lingered by the table, to provide the purest form of information: word of mouth. Not that he planned to let that stop him from enjoying some of the local cuisine. Eyes wide, he took the provided implements and sampled the fish. His eyes only went wider, enjoying the seasonings and the succulent taste of flesh, so rarely available at home outside of harvest season for the Reef. Swimming back from the gathered display, he nudged towards one of the lingering members of the hymenocera delegation.
    "My word! Have you tried this fish? Oh, you simply must, it's excellent."

Across the way, Tynor Limva went straight for the games, immediately moving in for a solo round of bowling. Initially buoyed by a run of beginner's luck, he rapidly found himself moving from reasonable hits to complete misses, but he remained cheerful, setting up for another round while keeping a watchful eye out for anyone who might want to join him.

Finally, Elal Tchemth approached the sad, solitary figure of Maryus, a sulk clear even on what amounted to quite a foreign body. She said nothing as she folded herself down into the corner alongside them, only deigning to speak once she had settled comfortably in.
    "I'm not really here by choice, I can't stand parties but apparently it's 'important' that I be here, so if you don't say anything to me, I'll return the favour."
    I go by them/they/their pronouns, but I'm comfortable with he/him/his or she/her/hers.

Spoiler: STUFFS
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Yes... continue ignoring me... exactly as planned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    'Kay! Ignoring a ninja never hurt anyone.

Being terrible at being a wolf since always.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The young scribe, on his first mission outside of his homelands, nodded at the mer.
    "Thank you, sir, I certainly will."

In the meantime Ginidu had located their host.
    "Thank you for organising this," he said, "it's a bit unorthodox, but nice nevertheless."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

From the boundless blue of the surrounding ocean, the silhouettes of a group of Mer emerged, moving in a rather orderly formation. At a closer look, they were accompanied by a number of silvery barracudas. These dumb, violent fishes weren't company in which a diplomatic mission should be seen; rather they were a travel necessity when the world was largely in a state of anarchy, such as today. The Deputy Secretary lightly motioned for the barracuda keepers to break camp well outside the pit and then continued along the plankton-lit path.

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    In the meantime Ginidu had located their host.
    "Thank you for organising this," he said, "it's a bit unorthodox, but nice nevertheless."
    Nearing the center, he slowed down slightly and glanced back, but the passenger holding onto a pearl-encrusted saddle shook her head. "Just a little closer, if you would." A few moments later, the Prime Minister of the Lojanese Republic released the grip of her tail and swam herself toward the crowds at an unhurried pace. She checked her dress once more - formal, yet elegant deep blue skin with shining white stars - and nodded her head contentedly. In spite of being a good seven inches tall, however, she couldn't spot anyone receiving the visitors over the heads of the crowd. "How unusual. Is this what the foreigners' culture is like?", she whispered partly to herself, partly to the Tobar bodyguard with a shiny helmet who just swam up to her. Naturally, the guard gave no response, and the Prime Minister, after a while of observing her surroundings, spied the Hymenocera envoy. "Excuse me. I am Shoeng Thnoet, the representative of Lojan - and you have arrived from the Hymenocera Expanse? We are very pleased to have you as neighbors. How are you finding this gathering? It was quite a perilous trip here, so I can only hope the event will be satisfactory!" Her lips curled up in a warm smile.

Meanwhile, the rest of the delegation concerned itself with arranging Lojanese cuisine on the designated rock. Many of the dishes are made from seaweeds, the staple food in Lojan, which is sweetened, salted, shredded, boiled, poached and so on to give each dish a distinctive taste and texture. The meat of fish - mostly smaller species - also frequently features on the Lojanese menu. However, the true specialty was presented in the form of large, mostly watertight boxes, made from shards of transparent minerals glued together. Entering the box through a hatch, one opens a sachet of especially pungent plants (or rather one's servant opens it) and inhales the infusion, as the Lojanese chef explains.

Across the way, Tynor Limva went straight for the games, immediately moving in for a solo round of bowling. Initially buoyed by a run of beginner's luck, he rapidly found himself moving from reasonable hits to complete misses, but he remained cheerful, setting up for another round while keeping a watchful eye out for anyone who might want to join him.
    While Lojanese nobility is the demographic that consumes the greatest number of infusions at social events, Leaj Dlaird's interests were different, to put it lightly. The young Mer, who looked no different from all the personnel in the delegation, save for a silver ring with a tumbled aragonite gem, could not bear to listen to the chef and the foreigners prattling about the nuances of various dishes any longer, and decided to swim off toward the puffer bowling stand. He unceremoniously grabbed a pufferfish, and hurled it toward the rocks with moderate success, then another. "Hah! Just one left!" He looked at Tynor Limva, as if he just noticed the other Mer. "Next I'm going to get all-" Making a throw without aiming proved to be a mistake, and just two rocks hit the seabed. "Well, this commoner game is all luck anyways. By the way, I'm Leaj Dlaird of Tleamthle Shbau'ead."
    Last edited by Corona; 2022-04-07 at 02:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post
    Meanwhile, the rest of the delegation concerned itself with arranging Lojanese cuisine on the designated rock. Many of the dishes are made from seaweeds, the staple food in Lojan, which is sweetened, salted, shredded, boiled, poached and so on to give each dish a distinctive taste and texture. The meat of fish - mostly smaller species - also frequently features on the Lojanese menu. However, the true specialty was presented in the form of large, mostly watertight boxes, made from shards of transparent minerals glued together. Entering the box through a hatch, one opens a sachet of especially pungent plants (or rather one's servant opens it) and inhales the infusion, as the Lojanese chef explains.
    The young scribe, on his first mission outside of his homelands, nodded at the mer.
    "Thank you, sir, I certainly will."
    Marsuc let out a short gasp as he watched the Lojanese delegation unload their selection. "Oh, we must try these. Come on!" Gripping the young scribe by a forward facing appendage, he moved to drag the poor crab over towards the boxes to experience the delights of the Lojanese infusions.

While Lojanese nobility is the demographic that consumes the greatest number of infusions at social events, Leaj Dlaird's interests were different, to put it lightly. The young Mer, who looked no different from all the personnel in the delegation, save for a silver ring with a tumbled aragonite gem, could not bear to listen to the chef and the foreigners prattling about the nuances of various dishes any longer, and decided to swim off toward the puffer bowling stand. He unceremoniously grabbed a pufferfish, and hurled it toward the rocks with moderate success, then another. "Hah! Just one left!" He looked at Tynor Limva, as if he just noticed the other Mer. "Next I'm going to get all-" Making a throw without aiming proved to be a mistake, and just two rocks hit the seabed. "Well, this commoner game is all luck anyways. By the way, I'm Leaj Dlaird of Tleamthle Shbau'ead."
    Turning to the newcomer, Tynor made a deferential bobbing gesture. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance. Tynor Limva, Priest-Ambassador Tenor of the Chorus. Now, you know, I can see where you'd think this is luck, but I'm sure there's a trick to it. If you just give it the right flick as you toss..." The puffer slammed into the rocks, leaving only one upright. "...then I'm sure with some practice, we could be making shots like that every time. But maybe you're right. I'm growing tired of this one anyway." He makes a gesture towards the kelphole boards. "Care to join me in trying that one out?"
    Last edited by Silent_Interim; 2022-04-07 at 05:48 PM.
    I go by them/they/their pronouns, but I'm comfortable with he/him/his or she/her/hers.

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The lumbering approach of the caravan crabs was impossible to miss as they entered the reef, two hills of bright purple and azure crawling forward on blue chitin legs. Circling them like a frenzy of sharks was a cadre of kucen warriors, clearly the worse for wear. Turtle-shell armor hung in tatters from many of them, the blades of their long spears chipped and broken. The light in their eyes warred between sullen anger and desperate relief to have finally arrived at their destination, warning the manifold inhabitants of the reef to give them a wide berth. Yet it was a warning made very difficult to heed, as the sea floor in their wake glittered with peacock green pearls that emerged in sparkling sprays from the lead crab.

Within her living palanquin, the Glistering Mistress Kirana sank her claws into the open shark-mouthed satchel, pulling forth its brightly-polished contents and flinging them angrily through the curtains of flowering sea grass that obscured her magnificence from the unworthy. The pearls, a Mistress' ransom, had been intended as a bribe for the barbarians who dared occupy the most direct route from Senja Bersinar to the Statera. A bribe the brutes had rejected out of hand once they'd located her caravan. That she had done grave insult to the tribes by not announcing her intentions before trespassing their territory would never sully Kirana's thoughts - their petty superstitions were of no concern when considered alongside the enormity of her mission here.

As the caravan crabs at last settled to a stop at the edge of the sandy festival ground, the infertile males that remained of Kirana's retinue swam to form a canopy of their spears before the pearlescent pavilion sheltering her from the commons. Their expectant silence was briefly infectious, and was enough for the Glistering Mistress to sweep aside her curtains in full glory. Scales of emerald green and viridian cascaded down her serpentine body, alight with patterns of turquoise light coruscating in time with her heartbeat. Bangles of whale ivory and woven white pearls trailed in the wake of her movements, mirrored black eyes reflecting back the assembled guests in subtly idealized forms, wide mouth open in a smile that revealed rows of white needled teeth. The Glistering Mistress spread her arms wide, and it was impossible to ignore the long claws of platinum fitted over the middle fingers on both hands, only slightly longer than the polished reach of her natural talons.

"A thousand lights shine on this first meeting, treasured neighbors. Behold, I am Kirana, Glistering Mistress of the Lambent Syndicate, and I come bearing gifts."

A soft clap of her hands, and eight of the remaining guards darted to the second of the caravan crabs. Resting on its shell was a howdah of far more utilitarian design than the Mistress' pavilion, and from its shadowed interior emerged to enormous clam shells, buoyed forward by four kucen each. Placing them on the sand to either side of Kirana, they withdrew as she descended with nearly reverent fear. In her wake followed three shadows, kucen that resembled her in profile if not magnificence, dead to the outside world save the movements of their mistress. Pressing down on the latches of the two clamshell chests, Kirana revealed a bounty of iridescent orange snail shells in one and a pile of smaller clams in the other.

"First, from the glittering reefs of my home, the leopard whelk."

The claws of the kucen siren moved with remarkable dexterity as she snared one of the languid snails. Raising the open end of its shell to her mouth, a sinuous black tongue darted out and curled into the snail's shell. With a powerful constricting motion, the whelk was drawn entirely into her mouth, trailing velvety mucus. What followed was the work of mere moments.

"They are best consumed fresh, and savored on the tongue. I guarantee you have never tasted their like. And after our repast, something to aid in digestion."

Those nimble claws darted once more to retrieve a shell, this one from the other chest. It seemed a miniature match for the larger coffer holding it, and indeed opened in much the same manner to reveal a bed of glowing ooze.

"Siren."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Marsuc let out a short gasp as he watched the Lojanese delegation unload their selection. "Oh, we must try these. Come on!" Gripping the young scribe by a forward facing appendage, he moved to drag the poor crab over towards the boxes to experience the delights of the Lojanese infusions.
    "Hey... what," the scribe said as he was dragged to another stall with some food. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't starfish either. He just hoped it wouldn't kill him.
    "Not bad," he said to his new... friend, acquaintance. "Not really my thing. Do you think there's some starfish around here somewhere?"

Nearing the center, he slowed down slightly and glanced back, but the passenger holding onto a pearl-encrusted saddle shook her head. "Just a little closer, if you would." A few moments later, the Prime Minister of the Lojanese Republic released the grip of her tail and swam herself toward the crowds at an unhurried pace. She checked her dress once more - formal, yet elegant deep blue skin with shining white stars - and nodded her head contentedly. In spite of being a good seven inches tall, however, she couldn't spot anyone receiving the visitors over the heads of the crowd. "How unusual. Is this what the foreigners' culture is like?", she whispered partly to herself, partly to the Tobar bodyguard with a shiny helmet who just swam up to her. Naturally, the guard gave no response, and the Prime Minister, after a while of observing her surroundings, spied the Hymenocera envoy. "Excuse me. I am Shoeng Thnoet, the representative of Lojan - and you have arrived from the Hymenocera Expanse? We are very pleased to have you as neighbors. How are you finding this gathering? It was quite a perilous trip here, so I can only hope the event will be satisfactory!" Her lips curled up in a warm smile.
    After speaking to the host, Ginidu turned to the delegation of the Lojanese Republic.
    "It was long, but not all that difficult," he said, "we only just arrived, so I hope so too. It seems there is at least some selection of food and we also brought some. And there seems to be some games. Not my thing really, but I'm sure my younger delegation members will enjoy themselves. Anything particular you're here for?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Astrid was stared at the entrance note in confusion. This was a way to greet guests after crossing most of the known world she supposed. No matter there were plenty of new blood here which was the important bit.

The young Mer was not here for the platitudes after all, no she had a business to run. And was it ever hard back home with processing taxes on distribution taxes on consumer taxes. This was great. No regulations to be seen, barely a content description in sight and plenty of people willing to try it all.

She headed to the right and placed three packages of seaweed on the rock, far from the thermal vents. Peeling away layers of seaweed a cold glow began to emanate from the dishes. Pausing for a moment she quickly scribbled down three notes “Lost Moonlight – half a shell” “Blossoming Moonlight – half a shell” “Mixed Moonlight – up to a shell” and stuck them in the seemingly identical jellies.

Done with her work she swirled over the sand where the fun seemed to be and picked up a pufferfish.

Spoiler: OOC-Note
    Show
    Delights of Moonlight/Dom/Moonlight/the glowy stuff is a powerful hallucinogen with varying levels of addictiveness. Over time the hallucinations also tend to involve more and more kelp but that’s not really relevant here.
    What is relevant is that moonlight will cause a reaction, most likely hallucinations but our biological roots are varied this game to say the least. Of note is that the Moonlight served is the good stuff i.e. it trends towards tender moments rather than heartbreak and so on.

Lost Moonlight: Visions of the dead, past romances, forgotten memories, etc.
    Blossoming Moonlight: Visions of the Flowering Everlight, feel free to ideaspawn with me.
    Mixed Moonlight: Everything goes, but generally uplifting noncoherent visions.
    Last edited by Torv; 2022-04-09 at 05:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Turning to the newcomer, Tynor made a deferential bobbing gesture. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance. Tynor Limva, Priest-Ambassador Tenor of the Chorus. Now, you know, I can see where you'd think this is luck, but I'm sure there's a trick to it. If you just give it the right flick as you toss..." The puffer slammed into the rocks, leaving only one upright. "...then I'm sure with some practice, we could be making shots like that every time. But maybe you're right. I'm growing tired of this one anyway." He makes a gesture towards the kelphole boards. "Care to join me in trying that one out?"
    "Sure. Though I'm a little disappointed that this isn't a real competition, they just left those games on the sea floor like that. What I mean is that it's too bad there aren't any prizes, isn't very interesting to play." Leaj held up two particularly colorful stones to his eye, assessing them, and made a pair of warmup throws. The second stone had landed quite squarely, boosting his confidence. "What about making a bet to keep it interesting? The loser has to, uh..." The rock that was almost completely covered by food drew the looks of many people, including Leaj. "The loser has to dive, literally, into those cakes. One round - three throws. Are you playing?" Leaj had alrealy picked his three stones, and he held out his other hand with another three in a challenge to Tynor.

After speaking to the host, Ginidu turned to the delegation of the Lojanese Republic.
    "It was long, but not all that difficult," he said, "we only just arrived, so I hope so too. It seems there is at least some selection of food and we also brought some. And there seems to be some games. Not my thing really, but I'm sure my younger delegation members will enjoy themselves. Anything particular you're here for?"
    Shoeng smiled. "Yes and no. We are here to acquaint ourselves with other nations that reside in the ocean, and foster good relationships with them, like most other guests. But we did not come here with the intent to close any particular agreement." She tilted her head in thought. "Indeed, at the moment, I am afraid Lojan has little to offer you except friendship and perhaps the famous Gem Foam, if you care for it. However, I believe it would be good for our nations to stay in contact, and to explore our respective cultures. Let me invite you to come back with us to Lojan for a while. Not only will you see many beautiful places and people- but it will also enrich your career, I would venture. You would become the de facto ambassador to Lojan!" Leaning in conspiratorally, she continued in an amused tone. "Not to worry, we would send someone to the Expanse in exchange so that the headcount will not be off."
    Last edited by Corona; 2022-04-09 at 06:20 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

"Hey... what," the scribe said as he was dragged to another stall with some food. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't starfish either. He just hoped it wouldn't kill him.
    "Not bad," he said to his new... friend, acquaintance. "Not really my thing. Do you think there's some starfish around here somewhere?"
    "Starfish? Oh, I hope so. I haven't tried that." Marsuc paused for the first time since his whirlwind meeting with the young scribe. "You know, it's just occurred to me that I've been terribly rude- I haven't even introduced myself to you. I'm Marsuc Ilient, Priest-Ambassador Alto of the Chorus. And I never even stopped to ask your name! Oh! I've been terribly inconsiderate." Despite his loud proclamations of his rudeness, Marsuc does not seem particularly chagrined, and in his haste does not seem to have actually remembered to ask for his new culinary companion's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Torv View Post
    Astrid was stared at the entrance note in confusion. This was a way to greet guests after crossing most of the known world she supposed. No matter there were plenty of new blood here which was the important bit.

The young Mer was not here for the platitudes after all, no she had a business to run. And was it ever hard back home with processing taxes on distribution taxes on consumer taxes. This was great. No regulations to be seen, barely a content description in sight and plenty of people willing to try it all.

She headed to the right and placed three packages of seaweed on the rock, far from the thermal vents. Peeling away layers of seaweed a cold glow began to emanate from the dishes. Pausing for a moment she quickly scribbled down three notes “Lost Moonlight – half a shell” “Blossoming Moonlight – half a shell” “Mixed Moonlight – up to a shell” and stuck them in the seemingly identical jellies.

Done with her work she swirled over the sand where the fun seemed to be and picked up a pufferfish.

Spoiler: OOC-Note
    Show
    Delights of Moonlight/Dom/Moonlight/the glowy stuff is a powerful hallucinogen with varying levels of addictiveness. Over time the hallucinations also tend to involve more and more kelp but that’s not really relevant here.
    What is relevant is that moonlight will cause a reaction, most likely hallucinations but our biological roots are varied this game to say the least. Of note is that the Moonlight served is the good stuff i.e. it trends towards tender moments rather than heartbreak and so on.

Lost Moonlight: Visions of the dead, past romances, forgotten memories, etc.
    Blossoming Moonlight: Visions of the Flowering Everlight, feel free to ideaspawn with me.
    Mixed Moonlight: Everything goes, but generally uplifting noncoherent visions.
    After a while, even the anti-social Elal got bored of sitting in a corner, and hungry besides. She made her way over to the food displays, and after looking around disinterestedly, her eyes fell on the strange displays of jellies labeled as "Moonlight." Figuring the notes as recommendations for portion sizes, she found a nearby shell of what seemed an average size, and scooped out a portion of the Mixed Moonlight before swimming over to settle on an unoccupied rock and consume it.

The taste, she observed, was not great. Kind of bland, she thought, as the world began to fuzz out of focus. Chewy, she observed, as fractals like ribbons of blood marked the edges of her vision. Was that a normal effect of jellies? The light was very soothing. She lay back against the rock and started giggling.

"Sure. Though I'm a little disappointed that this isn't a real competition, they just left those games on the sea floor like that. What I mean is that it's too bad there aren't any prizes, isn't very interesting to play." Leaj held up two particularly colorful stones to his eye, assessing them, and made a pair of warmup throws. The second stone had landed quite squarely, boosting his confidence. "What about making a bet to keep it interesting? The loser has to, uh..." The rock that was almost completely covered by food drew the looks of many people, including Leaj. "The loser has to dive, literally, into those cakes. One round - three throws. Are you playing?" Leaj had alrealy picked his three stones, and he held out his other hand with another three in a challenge to Tynor.
    Tynor accepts the stones, weighing them in his hand. "Hm. Well, the party has been a bit dreadfully dull so far. Alright, you're on." Tynor moved over to take his throws. With three deft flicks of the wrist, he sank two stones immediately and left one just teetering on the edge. "Ha! Top that, if you can."

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Shoeng smiled. "Yes and no. We are here to acquaint ourselves with other nations that reside in the ocean, and foster good relationships with them, like most other guests. But we did not come here with the intent to close any particular agreement." She tilted her head in thought. "Indeed, at the moment, I am afraid Lojan has little to offer you except friendship and perhaps the famous Gem Foam, if you care for it. However, I believe it would be good for our nations to stay in contact, and to explore our respective cultures. Let me invite you to come back with us to Lojan for a while. Not only will you see many beautiful places and people- but it will also enrich your career, I would venture. You would become the de facto ambassador to Lojan!" Leaning in conspiratorally, she continued in an amused tone. "Not to worry, we would send someone to the Expanse in exchange so that the headcount will not be off."
    "I have no authority to decide that," Ginidu said, "but I can bring your proposal for ambassadorial exchanges to my superiors, who will then make a decision and decide who will become the ambassador. But I can and will speak highly in favour of your request when I talk to my superiors."

"Starfish? Oh, I hope so. I haven't tried that." Marsuc paused for the first time since his whirlwind meeting with the young scribe. "You know, it's just occurred to me that I've been terribly rude- I haven't even introduced myself to you. I'm Marsuc Ilient, Priest-Ambassador Alto of the Chorus. And I never even stopped to ask your name! Oh! I've been terribly inconsiderate." Despite his loud proclamations of his rudeness, Marsuc does not seem particularly chagrined, and in his haste does not seem to have actually remembered to ask for his new culinary companion's name.
    "I'm Jacku," the young scribe said, "Junior scribe third class. I'm one of the junior members of our team. And you should try starfish. They are delicious. So, what do you normally eat?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[COLOR="#0000FF"]Tynor accepts the stones, weighing them in his hand. "Hm. Well, the party has been a bit dreadfully dull so far. Alright, you're on." Tynor moved over to take his throws. With three deft flicks of the wrist, he sank two stones immediately and left one just teetering on the edge. "Ha! Top that, if you can."
    Leaj rubbed the stones in his hand nervously, letting out a little laugh. "What kind of priest is so good at throwing rocks?!" Perhaps he had already lost hope of victory, as he missed twice and barely hit the board the third time. He covered his face with his hand in embarrassment, cheeks reddening. "...I swear, I'm usually better than that..." As he met Tynor's eyes, Leaj moved his hand to brush nonexistent headfur from his face. "Well, I guess I'm going to do the thing. Please, don't spread any rumors about this." He swam up, looking for a free angle from which to assault the grand table surrounded by gourmets of all species. Finding one, he gulped, glancing once more at Tynor, and then shot forward, beelining for the softest dishes he could see. Managing not to hit any guest, he landed on an assortment of whale cheese appetizers and moonlight jellies with a satisfying juicy *SPLASH*. Less satisfying, however, was the cream that had gotten in his nostrils, and the horrified faces of food-SPLASHed diplomats all around.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    "They are best consumed fresh, and savored on the tongue. I guarantee you have never tasted their like. And after our repast, something to aid in digestion."

Those nimble claws darted once more to retrieve a shell, this one from the other chest. It seemed a miniature match for the larger coffer holding it, and indeed opened in much the same manner to reveal a bed of glowing ooze.

"Siren."
    The stout Mer handed off the ministerial saddle he had been wearing to an official of a far lesser rank, filling the role of a servant, and absentmindedly brushed his hand through his moustache of gray whiskers. He had lost the Prime Minister in the crowd, but he was far too dignified to chase after her; besides, he had never taken a liking to her new-fashioned diplomatic approaches. His attention was quickly drawn to something else. Standing by the entrance, he watched the Syndicate delegation approach.

"Let peace and the Plo'uogoar reign for a thousand years. May this old man have a taste of your delicacy?" Clearly a rhetorical question, as he picked out a mollusc without hesitation. Carefully. he peeled the shell piece by piece and consumed the body in two bites. "Yes... magnificent. The snail, as well as your arrival. There are so few people that understand the value of appearance and decorum here, I fear. Ah, I should not count myself among them, as it appears I have neglected to introduce myself. I am a Deputy Secretary of the Lojanese Republic, Gibyagau Shitragoruu." He bowed slightly. "I hope that there will be no obstacles to opening trade between our nations, so that we may truly become treasured neighbors, as you put it."
    Last edited by Corona; 2022-04-10 at 05:29 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

"I'm Jacku," the young scribe said, "Junior scribe third class. I'm one of the junior members of our team. And you should try starfish. They are delicious. So, what do you normally eat?"
    "Mmmmmf. This whale cheese is good, try some. Normally? Ah, well, you know. A lot of kelp, mostly. Sometimes meat, on feast-days, but I live a ways out from the Reef so I don't always get to those. You know, it's funny, I-" Marsuc's eyes went wide.

Leaj rubbed the stones in his hand nervously, letting out a little laugh. "What kind of priest is so good at throwing rocks?!" Perhaps he had already lost hope of victory, as he missed twice and barely hit the board the third time. He covered his face with his hand in embarrassment, cheeks reddening. "...I swear, I'm usually better than that..." As he met Tynor's eyes, Leaj moved his hand to brush nonexistent headfur from his face. "Well, I guess I'm going to do the thing. Please, don't spread any rumors about this." He swam up, looking for a free angle from which to assault the grand table surrounded by gourmets of all species. Finding one, he gulped, glancing once more at Tynor, and then shot forward, beelining for the softest dishes he could see. Managing not to hit any guest, he landed on an assortment of whale cheese appetizers and moonlight jellies with a satisfying juicy *SPLASH*. Less satisfying, however, was the cream that had gotten in his nostrils, and the horrified faces of food-SPLASHed diplomats all around.
    Marsuc seemed dumbfounded, covered in food. He stared blankly at the culinary carnage before him. He let out a faint whimper as it began to sink in. "I was... eating those..."

In the background, Tynor was bent double with laughter. His gills strained with the effort of his peals of barking laughter, slapping at his thighs, even as much of the party stopped to stare dumbfounded at the chaos.

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Jacku was surprised when someone fell on the food.
    "Apparently it is good if you see people literally dive in," he remarked to Marsuc, "but after that I'm going to pass, thank you very much."

Ginidu was standing a bit further and wasn't splattered. He was surprised that someone would do that, but he did know that there were all kinds and for all he knew that was something those people did.

16. - Top - End - #16

It seemed the guests were getting on well which made Maryus happy. Maybe this wont be so bad. Hesitantly they got up from their corner and began to head to the food section, greeting the guests awkwardly as they passed. He arrived at the food table and was just starting to read through some of the dishes when a culinary explosion went off next to them.

*SPLAT*

Maryus was stunned. Slowly the event started to sink in and so did the panic. This was a mess. What was Maryus going to do? That's when Maryus's vision started to go a bit fuzzy. The world started wobbling. As the world started to swim around them, they made their way over to the Mer called Astrid

"Hello there... Astrid is it? I'm terribly sorry to bother you but... what did you say this stuff is?" They gestured to a sizeable splotch of moonlight jelly that now coated a good chunk of their torso. "Mmmm whatever it is tastes kinda good...Heeeyyyyyy who are yooouuu? Move aside Mr. Spaghetti Turtle. I'm looking for Astrid." Maryus moved past Astrid and began their adventure in to the new world they were experiencing.

Lio raced around the grounds taking in all the new sights. This colony looked like a bowling ball with legs. Lio sort of waddled around from place to place just enjoying life. They were supposed to be serving the guests but there were plenty of colonies to do that already. After the incident with the food Leo ran up to the Mer called Marsuc.
    "Hello!! Sorry about the food. I still have a tray of whale cheese if you like! Its a shame to let such good food go to waste. They reached up their round head with a small tray held atop it.

We don't quite know what happened to Marven. He was supposed to be here.
    Come to the dark side; we have pop-tarts.
    "Is no fun. Is no Blinsky" "He is... FIZBOP THUNDERTOES!!!!!"

Spoiler: The Night of the Living Thread
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    We, as humans, have incisors. Those are made for tearing flesh and meat.
    Meat tastes good.
    If we aren't supposed to eat people, then why are they made of meat?

17. - Top - End - #17

The seafloor approach to the sandpit in which the potluck was being held was, like most places in the Statera, filled with corals of various shapes and sizes. While, for most, this was little issue - many could swim, and those that could not were usually able to pick their way through the complex reefs without great difficulty.

For Grandmaster-Smith Biruh shel-Hagai ban-Mekdem, a towering Arochzeroa that stood nearly three mer-lengths from chest to tail, covered in enough leather straps and metal plates to comfortably outfit a small mercenary company, it would turn out to be somewhat more problematic.

Their approach to the top of the ring surrounding the pit had been manageable, with the aid of their Attendants. In the process of trying to pick their way back down without placing any of their eight legs in the wrong place, and lacking the ability to use their massive forelimbs to support their weight, the Grandmaster placed altogether too much of their bulk on a single overextended coral shelf...

As the stony skeleton of the coral buckled and splintered under the strain, there was a flurry of activity as panicked Attendants and Probates buzzed about, uncertain how to respond with their limited experience. When it finally gives way entirely, splitting in half and beginning to tumble down the rest of the slope, the sound is both quite unpleasant and terribly loud. Grandmaster Biruh was, at least, able to catch themselves, splaying out and forcing their long pincer-arms into the flatter areas around them to avoid rolling down the hill themselves, doing their best not to avoid the precarity of their situation being more obvious than absolutely necessary.

A much shorter figure, notable for the immense disparity in size between their claws would pick their way down with much greater ease, following behind Grandmaster Biruh. They, too, wore straps and metal plates over much of their body, and as the group approached, it became clear that even the smaller Attendants seemed to wear heavy fabrics kept tight to their forms by the use of a great number of belts.

"...If you're certain, Grandmaster."

"Hrumphks. Yes I'm scalding well certain, Master Ghidewon. We made it this far, we can make it back just as well."

"As I said, Grandmaster. If you're certain."

Biruh glared at his companion out of the side of his six eyes, facial bristles waving sharply in annoyance, before shaking himself and stepping, finally, onto the secure and unbusied sands of the potluck grounds.

"Yoni! Debebe! Pull your tails out of the brine and get that food out already!" he barked, "Tsega! Go fetch the host! I don't want our mistake costing any more than my blasted dignity."

As their subordinates brought the Stewards' own offerings out - acid-fried limpet-stuffed tubeworms and an assortment of spiced jellies to slather on them with brine-crisped spongeleaf for a difference in texture - Master-Steward Ghidewon shel-Hagai ban-Ahemed took a few moments to peer at the diverse assortment of guests already present.
    "Shall we attempt to assemble the...upwellers, for our message, or simply approach each in turn?"

"Each in turn, I think. One vent at a time, Master Ghidewon, lest the iron break. And this is meant to be a party, besides. It'll stick in their shells better if we don't ruin the mood."
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

18. - Top - End - #18

"Apparently it is good if you see people literally dive in," he remarked to Marsuc, "but after that I'm going to pass, thank you very much."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivor_The_Mad View Post
    Lio raced around the grounds taking in all the new sights. This colony looked like a bowling ball with legs. Lio sort of waddled around from place to place just enjoying life. They were supposed to be serving the guests but there were plenty of colonies to do that already. After the incident with the food Leo ran up to the Mer called Marsuc.
    "Hello!! Sorry about the food. I still have a tray of whale cheese if you like! Its a shame to let such good food go to waste. They reached up their round head with a small tray held atop it.
    After his initial moment of shock passed, Marsuc shook himself clear of his stupor. "Aha, yes, well, a bit of excitement does the body good, eh?" He wiped the worst of the food detritus from his face. "I'm grateful for the offer, but I find my appetite somewhat diminished by this whole... affair." Marsuc hesitated. "Well, though, it'd be rude to decline, wouldn't it? Here, I'll take that tray off your... I'll take that tray, and if I might prevail upon you for a small favour, it would be so very helpful if you were to go and fetch me something to wipe myself down with. You're an absolute dear," he said, not waiting for a response before taking the tray in one hand and nibbling at a piece of cheese clutched in the other

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I have no authority to decide that," Ginidu said, "but I can bring your proposal for ambassadorial exchanges to my superiors, who will then make a decision and decide who will become the ambassador. But I can and will speak highly in favour of your request when I talk to my superiors."
    "I trust that you will - please do also relay my cordial greetings to your superiors. I hope to see you again soon." Shoeng nodded goodbye to Ginidu.

"Mmmmmf. This whale cheese is good, try some. Normally? Ah, well, you know. A lot of kelp, mostly. Sometimes meat, on feast-days, but I live a ways out from the Reef so I don't always get to those. You know, it's funny, I-" Marsuc's eyes went wide.

Marsuc seemed dumbfounded, covered in food. He stared blankly at the culinary carnage before him. He let out a faint whimper as it began to sink in. "I was... eating those..."
    Leaj remembered his some of his aristocratic education, perhaps too late, as he coughed up jelly into an embroidered handkerchief. "Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, I have urgent business elsewhere." He stumbled toward the nearest edge of the table for a bit, mashing together a few more plates, before he recovered enough to swim up and away and try to hide himself in the thick of the crowd.

20. - Top - End - #20

Leaj remembered his some of his aristocratic education, perhaps too late, as he coughed up jelly into an embroidered handkerchief. "Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, I have urgent business elsewhere." He stumbled toward the nearest edge of the table for a bit, mashing together a few more plates, before he recovered enough to swim up and away and try to hide himself in the thick of the crowd.
    Tynor floated over, still not wholly recovered from his earlier laughing fit. Chortling, he tapped Leaj from behind. "Might want to clean up before you try and blend in." He let loose another guffaw. "That was some good stuff. I didn't think you were really going to follow through, but fair's fair, and you're good as your word. But I'd be a poor sport if I didn't help with your getaway. Come on, let's try and find something you can wipe off with, and I'll cover you if you need a distraction." He offered his hand and a dashing smile, marred only slightly by his inability to completely suppress his giggles.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Deputy Secretary Gibyagau Shitragoru

In the eyes of the Siren, the mer statesman saw himself reflected as a younger and more vital man, the ideal from a time long past when dreams seemed just a little closer at hand. The clawed hands of the kucen leader splayed out like the legs of a spider crab, as she rested fingertips gently to either side of Gibyahau's face while pressing forehead to forehead. She held him there a moment, only long enough for their heartbeats to intermingle in his ears, and then pulled away. In the wake of her touch, a vibrant turquoise glow lingered that would fade slowly over the course of hours.

"Many are the trials that shall no doubt face us in this new era, but it is heartening to learn that some civilization thrives beyond the borders of Senja Bersinar. Gracious minister, I say with confidence that no tide stands between the cooperation of our two peoples."

The three shadows form the Mistress' palanquin drifted closer, resolving into a trio of kucen of similar build if inferior magnificence. Three juvenile sirens of amber, chartreuse, and cerulean scales bowed their heads as Kirana deigned to acknowledge them.

"Yes, daughters, you may enjoy the festivities. But first, Cahya."

A single claw curled towards the Glistering Mistress, beckoning the amber siren closer, her ruby patterns properly subdued as she turned her back to Kirana. At the base of the younger siren's neck a gilded shell protruded oddly, and as Kirana reached towards it a segmented tendril emerged to meet her palm. Raising the flanged organ to her lips, the elder siren drew forth a clear and sparkling fluid from her "daughter," shivering with ecstasy as it passed her lips. Then the symbiote was released, and Cahya drifted away.

"It is a blessing, honored minister, to be attended by such obedient children. But come, you must tell me all of your Lojanese Republic and the manifold pleasures that no doubt await there."

Marsuc Ilient

The commotion around the explosion of hors d'oeuvres had easily masked the sinuous approach of one of the kucen delegation, the bright greens of her chartreuse scales well-complimented by descending whorls of nearly white blue. A swift talon ran a gentle course down Marsuc's chest, before raising the mélange of scattered delicacies to her waiting tongue.

"What a curious way of serving food. Is this display of your homeland, honored neighbor?"

Leaj Dlaird

Without warning, a brightly-painted rock rippled past the young noble of the mer, striking home in the central opening of the kelphole board. Behind Leaj floated a kucen siren whose bright cerulean scales glistened in the sunlight, her coral-colored inner light beaming with amusement.

"It does not seem so difficult a game."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2022-04-16 at 02:53 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Marsuc Ilient

The commotion around the explosion of hors d'oeuvres had easily masked the sinuous approach of one of the kucen delegation, the bright greens of her chartreuse scales well-complimented by descending whorls of nearly white blue. A swift talon ran a gentle course down Marsuc's chest, before raising the mélange of scattered delicacies to her waiting tongue.

"What a curious way of serving food. Is this display of your homeland, honored neighbor?"
    Marsuc hardly missed a beat, turning a cheerful grin on the Siren, seemingly unperturbed by her forward approach. "Ah, you've not caught me looking my best. No, this 'display' is of... where have they gotten off to? No matter. Some troublemaker. Not the sort one so enchanting as yourself ought concern herself with." He makes an attempt at a deferential bob, the effect somewhat dampened by the food covering him. "I am Marsuc Ilient, Priest-Ambassador Alto of the Chorus. My esteemed dining companion here is Jacku." Marsuc delivers a jovial and hearty and not a little over-familiar slap to the young scribe's back. "And who do I have the singular pleasure of addressing?"

Show