New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Highest bonus to damage rolls?

As the title says I'm curious to know what the highest bonus to damage rolls is you can theoretically get this should just be pure damage. NO rolling dice or magic wepon bouns and 20 (+5) MAX for stats just to make it a little more feasible for example

Be a goblin or an Aasimar - Fury of the Small/Radiant Soul/Necrotic Shroud (+20)
    1 level warlock - get hex blades curse for your proficiency bonus (+6)
    19 levels death cleric - Touch of Death (+43) (19 x 2 + 5)
    +5 Str , +5 Cha (If Needed)
    GWM +10
    Total = +84 (+89 If Cha can be included)

Please let me know if there is anything higher you can theoretically get.
    Last edited by MercCpt; 2021-11-26 at 06:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Highest bonus to damage rolls?

Aasimar or Goblin can add their level to damage bonus, so +69 now. Nice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGirl

It'd be silly not to add +5 for a stat bonus, or +10 if you're using tomes to raise stats to 30.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A +3 weapon and GWM gets you an additional +13

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Lunali View Post
    It'd be silly not to add +5 for a stat bonus, or +10 if you're using tomes to raise stats to 30.
    Updated it it makes more sense now, thank you for the input.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by kaervaak View Post
    Aasimar or Goblin can add their level to damage bonus, so +69 now. Nice.
    Isn't aasimar half your level?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by MercCpt View Post
    Isn't aasimar half your level?
    Protector and scourge aasimar add their level radiant damage once per turn when they deal damage. Scourge also deals AOE equal to half. Fallen adds necrotic equal to their level once per turn.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So, if you're talking about bonus damage to a single attack, I think you have it maxed out. However, I do have two ideas:

---Highest Flat Damage Possible---

Race: Goblin and/or Aasimar for the flat bonus to damage

Classes: Tempest Cleric 2 / Order of Scribes Wizard 18

Make sure you take Prismatic Wall and Meteor Swarm for your 9th level spells. You can now change Meteor Swarm's Fire and Bludgeoning damage into pure Lightning damage. Tempest Cleric's Channel Divinity makes it so you maximize Lightning and Thunder damage instead of rolling. Meaning it technically becomes a flat damage bonus. Meteor Swarm deals 40d6 normally, that just becomes 40*6 for a max of 240 Lightning damage in three 80ft diameters. You can use Fury of the Small to boost that to a maximum of 260 on one creature within that area. Near as I can tell, there is no way to have more flat damage than that.

However, I'm not sure if I can count this since it is, technically, just changing rolling a dice to automatically taking the max.

---Making 2 attacks---

Race: Goblin - Fury of the Small (+20)

Death Cleric 8 - Touch of Death (+21)(5+[8*2])

Hexblade Warlock 12 - Maddening Hex (+5), Lifedrinker (+5), Hexblade's Curse (+6), Thirsting Blade (*2)

20 Charisma (+5)

Sharpshooter or GWM (+10)

You end up with:

20+21+5+2*(5+5+6+10) = 98 split between two attacks.

---Realizing that all my previous work was pointless and Eldritch Blast is the KING of flat damage---

Goblin - Fury of the Small (+20)

Hexblade Warlock 2 - Agonizing Blast (+5), Hexblade's Curse (+6)

Any Sorcerer 18 - Quick Spell

Charisma 20 (+5)

20+8*(5+6) = 108

EDIT: Forgot that the straight damage from Death Cleric only applies to melee attacks
    Last edited by sithlordnergal; 2021-11-16 at 05:34 PM.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lunali View Post
    Why do you think those stack when nothing else in 5e stacks with itself?

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Protector and scourge aasimar add their level radiant damage once per turn when they deal damage. Scourge also deals AOE equal to half. Fallen adds necrotic equal to their level once per turn.
    Oh so it is! No wonder why I was so cnofused silly me thanks for the info!

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    However, I'm not sure if I can count this since it is, technically, just changing rolling a dice to automatically taking the max.
    It's deffinatly not what I was looking for but super helpful either way so, thank you for the info!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

If you have Sharpshooter, Great Weapon Master, and Tavern Brawler, you can (arguably) use both SS and GWM on the same attack. Sharpshooter requires a ranged weapon, while GWM requires a heavy weapon, so if you whack someone in melee with a bow, it's both. Though using a ranged weapon in melee is an improvised weapon, and both feats require proficiency, which is where the Tavern Brawler comes in.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    If you have Sharpshooter, Great Weapon Master, and Tavern Brawler, you can (arguably) use both SS and GWM on the same attack. Sharpshooter requires a ranged weapon, while GWM requires a heavy weapon, so if you whack someone in melee with a bow, it's both. Though using a ranged weapon in melee is an improvised weapon, and both feats require proficiency, which is where the Tavern Brawler comes in.
    AS funny as this sounds I don't think it's legal although I would allow it once for the fun of it....

14. - Top - End - #14

Be a Goblin Dart Master. Darts are both thrown and ranged, opening up more flat damage bonuses:

Goblin Fury of the Small +20
    Sharpshooter: +10
    Dueling fighting style: +2
    Thrown weapon fighting style: +2
    Belt of Storm Giant Strength: +9
    Hexblade's Curse: +6
    +3 Dart: +3

That's +52 right there. I left out Death Cleric because many DM's limit that class to NPC's only.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

AS funny as this sounds I don't think it's legal although I would allow it once for the fun of it....
    Sadly its no longer legal. They made an errata to fix Sharpshooter to require a ranged weapon attack. However, if you just go with the non-errata version, it's 100% legal.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yakmala View Post
    Be a Goblin Dart Master. Darts are both thrown and ranged, opening up more flat damage bonuses:

That's +52 right there. I left out Death Cleric because many DM's limit that class to NPC's only.
    Get yourself 12 levels of Hexblade Bladepact and you can add your Charisma to the damage via Lifedrinker.

17. - Top - End - #17

Interesting but Dueling fighting style: +2 is for melee weps only also you use a magic item twice

18. - Top - End - #18

Get yourself 12 levels of Hexblade Bladepact and you can add your Charisma to the damage via Lifedrinker.
    Very interesting idea right there thank you for the info!

19. - Top - End - #19

I would count any dice additives like sneak attack. They are at least a +1 flat bonus.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Khrysaes View Post
    I would count any dice additives like sneak attack. They are at least a +1 flat bonus.
    I mean the point of this is not to roll dice... while sneak attack is great it defeats the entire purpose

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Speaking of, 7 levels of paladin (oathbreaker) lets you also add charisma to damage. An aasimar (with gwm) and magic weapon (upcast 4th) level 8 paladin/12 warlock can add +53 damage to their attacks every turn
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

22. - Top - End - #22

Interesting but Dueling fighting style: +2 is for melee weps only
    Dueling works with melee weapons. Thrown melee weapons are still melee weapons.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dueling works with melee weapons. Thrown melee weapons are still melee weapons.
    Technically true for most thrown weapons, but Darts are Ranged weapons. As a result no Dueling, but you do get Sharpshooter.

24. - Top - End - #24

I mean the point of this is not to roll dice... while sneak attack is great it defeats the entire purpose
    You could just take them as a +1, and not need to roll the dice, since 1 is the lowest a dice can go, it is still at minimum +1 per dice added.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Technically true for most thrown weapons, but Darts are Ranged weapons. As a result no Dueling, but you do get Sharpshooter.
    Spoiler: Dueling
    Show
    When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

Dueling specifies a melee weapon in one hand. Since dart is not a melee weapon as it is listed in the ranged weapon category.

Conversely, Archery says
    Spoiler
    Show
    You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.

"attack rolls" "with ranged weapons" not "ranged weapon attacks"
    meaning a melee attack with a weapon on the ranged weapon table would apply archery.

On this note,
    Sharpshooter, says
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack's damage

Which says "an attack with a ranged weapon" not "a ranged weapon attack"

meaning you can melee with a dart, which is a ranged weapon, probably as an improvised melee weapon, and apply sharpshooter, but as it is listed in the

Similarly GWM says
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack's damage

"melee attack" not "melee weapon"

Longbows are both "heavy" and "ranged"
    so if you melee with a longbow you can apply both GWM and Sharpshooter.
    You may need Tavern Brawler to be proficient with using a longbow as a melee weapon, unless you can swing that it is similar enough to a quarterstaff.

I remember someone mentioning that this longbow thing was fixed in the errata, but I can not find that in the errata.

Therefore,
    A 7 oathbreaker Paladin/12 Hexblade Warlock bashing people with a longbow(or heavy crossbow) in melee can apply "cha x3 +20" to damage at the cost of 8 to their hit chance if they have the archery fighting style.
    Last edited by Khrysaes; 2021-11-24 at 04:19 AM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

I would like to take a second look at this due to a few reasons mainly i'm trying to find the highest stactic you can add to damage therefore I would like to try and find out what I can out without using reasorces such as Channel Divinity, I again I would like NO rolling and NO magic items.

The challange is to add the highest dmg with NO resource burning anything that has a limit such as channel divinity is off limits side note 5 or more uses is accecptable.