New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1248 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    It was an unlabeled cave. The Order can't be blamed for venturing in; there was absolutely no sign of sentient habitation that we saw. They were attacked on sight and attempted to flee before fighting back.

I guess they could have employed divination magic to find out if the cave was inhabited by sentient beings before venturing in, or tried to flee for longer before fighting back (although Elan seems to have become pinned by the dragon during the very first round of combat, so even that may not have been morally defensible), but aside from that, it's hard to see what else they could have done.
    V might have used a different means, rendering the dragon dead but hardly a pile of dust. But that's not the story that Rich wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    hard reach at young adult.
    Not buying it. (But thanks for going through the reasoning chain).

The ABD was engaging in hyperbole.

Spoiler: Mothers love their sons
    Show
    I am my mother's child. I will always be my mothers child. I've been on this planet for enough decades to be a grandpa, but her reaction to someone killing me and turning me into a pile of dust would likely be similar to ABD's response to her child (who is an adult/young adult) being to disposed of in that manner. My son is in his late 20's. I suspect that my wife's "she wolf" aspect would get dialed to about 11 were someone to do him like that.

It was narratively convenient to present the ABD's point of view, and I like the way Rich tried to add some depth to a two dimensional antagonist to the Order (well, to V) by have her respond as A Mother, and not just another dragon in a game.
    This puts V's response, as spouse and parent, into a well framed context as V destroyed the ABD.
    The extra step, familicide, was obviously a (giant) step too far but was narratively necessary for how Rich wanted to bridge book 4 into book 5. He also needed, mechanically, to keep V out of a variety of scenes since Wizards are OP, yadda yadda yadda.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-11-22 at 02:19 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This gets into questions of whether you consider a teenager to be a child that I'll avoid here. Suffice to say his mother referred to him that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post

The ABD was engaging in hyperbole.
    The younger black dragon being in the Young Adult age category was established fairly early:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0188.html

What the Young Adult age category means in-universe, is difficult to know for certain, other than that "capable of reproduction" is part of it (Draconomicon 3.5 establishes that, before the Young Adult age category, a dragon can't reproduce at all).

We also know that the younger dragon has not yet left home - they don't have a lair of their own, yet.

They're "old enough to guard the home" for a time though.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0628.html
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-11-22 at 02:59 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

What the Young Adult age category means in-universe, is difficult to know for certain,
    Yes, hence the various arguments for I don't know how many years.
    We also know that the younger dragon has not yet left home - they don't have a lair of their own, yet.
    Irrelevant, except to the ABD on the emotional side, a parent who was able to "keep their baby at home" longer.
    Spoiler: Yeah, I've seen this in spades
    Show
    My own wife's views and feelings on this - anguish at "her babies" leaving the nest - impact how I see this. I am far more "let them go forth and out into the world, we have prepared them to do that" and I learned that from my own parents ... I think that Rich successfully captured a powerful emotion that I've seen at play IRL

To put this in perspective: it's not uncommon for children to live at home into their 20's, well beyond legal adult, if they are going to university (and parents find the cost of dorms to be obscene) and university is near home. (Both of my children did that).

When we lived in Italy, our next door neighbors had their son, daughter in law (both in their late 20's) and grandson living in their house for a very practical reason: getting out on your own, and getting your own place, in Italy can be really expensive.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

4. - Top - End - #274

The relevant age categories run "Juvenile, Young Adult, Adult, Mature Adult".

So "Young Adult is between Adult and Juvenile" allows for an interpretation of them as "more like a 13 year old than an 18 year old".

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

Going going Rich's comments in the forums, I'm going to assume that anybody he puts in combat that isn't trying to run away is a real adult.

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    There are any number of "Sovereign Citizen fails" videos on YouTube, showing what happens when someone insists that definitions from Black's Law Dictionary overrule the statutes in their jurisdiction. "I'm not driving, I'm travelling, and I have a constitutional right to do that! It's only driving if I'm doing it for commercial purposes!" "This isn't a motor vehicle, it's personal property!" These generally don't end well.
    They also tend to use fantastically old editions of the legal dictionaries, under the belief that the law doesn't change. I guess also under the assumption that words don't change, se biþ na hu Angelcynn deþ!
    Last edited by Quizatzhaderac; 2021-11-22 at 05:26 PM.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    But behind that wall might be another maze of long tunnels, Serini can just go back while they think they are following her.
    Judging by the color/pattern on the floor, what's underneath is her sanctum, which appears to be a large box (Lien called it a "warehouse.")

Even if you're right though and she's able to elude them, getting into her quarters will probably yield useful insights of its own. You can tell a lot about someone by getting access to their bedroom, and not-coincidentally it's also a great place to ambush them. Even more importantly, they're highly likely to locate Lien and O-Chul if left alone to explore it.

(There's also the non-zero chance that she's still writing down critical plot info.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #277

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Going going Rich's comments in the forums, I'm going to assume that anybody he puts in combat that isn't trying to run away is a real adult.
    "Real adult" in the D&D sense, may differ a little from "Real adult" in the modern social sense.

The Giant put Julia and Hinjo in combat situations that didn't only involve running away, when both were 15 or so, after all. According to the PHB, 15 is "adulthood"- but, socially speaking, there's still an element of "being still a child".

In Races of the Dragon, 6, for a kobold, is the equivalent of 15 for a human. Since they also get the 12 dragon age categories, it's also "the start of the Young Adult age category".

So, "Teenage Black Dragon" is at least the equivalent of a 15 year old human then.

8. - Top - End - #278

There are no True Scotsmen in the OotS.

"Real adult" in the D&D sense, may differ a little from "Real adult" in the modern social sense.
    So, "Teenage Black Dragon" is at least the equivalent of a 15 year old human then.
    Equivalent in what sense?

I don't think it's fruitful to argue semantics like this. The reason people are talking about things like "real adults" or "children" or whatever here, is because they mean to imply something, but I don't think it's really an effective way to communicate here, since there are so many different ways to adapt the words to the topic of discussion. It especially confuses things since they are actually technical terms in this context whose technical meaning is mostly unrelated to what people are discussing.

It would be better to just say what is meant.

I also sort of think there's a high risk of disguising non sequiturs: argue that the analogy is apt in one sense, and thus it must be apt in a completely different sense.
    Last edited by Hurkyl; 2021-11-23 at 03:19 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

You know, characters that are parents(and whether or not said characters are good at it) have been showing up a lot for the past three books or so. Eugene, the ABD, Vaarsuvius, Ian, Tarquin, Malack, Sigdi, Serini… get what I mean? Heck, even Laurin mentioned a daughter in passing.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Parenthood is probbably the most common institution in all of history, yet in D&D is usually relegated solely to the realms of "pc backstory sob-fodder"
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionReplay View Post
    Why does D&D have no Gollum? Why it does. You just can't see him. He is wearing his precious at the moment.
    There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Malack
    Malack, the loving father who gave birth to his own little brother!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Halfling in the Playground

So, talking is a free action. What kind of action is making a dramatic pause? Swift, move, standard or maybe even full-round for extra drama?

I really don't like putting anything in signatures, but Shoreward's comic deserves it.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Elemental View Post
    Parenthood is probbably the most common institution in all of history, yet in D&D is usually relegated solely to the realms of "pc backstory sob-fodder"
    This is actually part of the reason why I try to avoid doing family angst for my characters, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is literally why Rich is making the families of the “PCs” relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Eh, even ignoring the vampirism aspect I always saw that more as the spawn being closer to adoptive children.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Wrangler View Post
    So, talking is a free action. What kind of action is making a dramatic pause? Swift, move, standard or maybe even full-round for extra drama?
    I mean, time doesn’t actually stop during someone’s turn unless they use a spell for that. If it’s less than 6 seconds it’s probably a free action as well.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #284

HalflingRogueGuy

Precisely the problem with killing a not-adult being even if it is atracking you is that it is not mature enough to know the real consecuences of its acts.
    Kids do lots of stupid things, that doesn't make them evil.

V killing the young dragon was wrong, maybe not straight evil, but wrong.
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2021-11-23 at 05:47 AM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

I’d say it’s mostly about how - in cold blood, while unable to fight. Granted, the Suggestion would have worn off soon, but V essentially used and discarded him like a used potion bottle. That’s pretty cold.

Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #286

Eh, even ignoring the vampirism aspect I always saw that more as the spawn being closer to adoptive children.
    That's not quite the case for Durkon/Greg.

I’d say it’s mostly about how - in cold blood
    Well, V was a lizard at the time.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

While Malack considered his first three spawns as his children, his little monologue here states he saw Durkon* as a younger brother.

Edit: Or at the minimum, that he hoped the realtionship would develop that way.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-11-23 at 06:04 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

I meant the first three.

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

The Giant put Julia and Hinjo in combat situations that didn't only involve running away, when both were 15 or so, after all. According to the PHB, 15 is "adulthood"- but, socially speaking, there's still an element of "being still a child".
    Depends on the cultural and social framework. Won't comment further.
    In Races of the Dragon, 6, for a kobold, is the equivalent of 15 for a human. Since they also get the 12 dragon age categories, it's also "the start of the Young Adult age category".

Thanks for the 3.5 detail.
    Likewise, and the children Nale killed I have as head canon were also vampire spawn.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-11-23 at 08:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    There are no True Scotsmen in the OotS.
    Excuse me, I do believe dwarves are a standard race.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    the children Nale killed I have as head canon were also vampire spawn.
    That's not headcanon, though, just plain old canon canon. Nale didn't so much as live when Malack was already a vampire for quite some time.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Excuse me, I do believe dwarves are a standard race.
    Not enough kilts, bagpipes, sheep, haggis, claymores, warpaint and slaying of the English(-equivalent) to count. Sorry.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

That's not headcanon, though, just plain old canon canon. Nale didn't so much as live when Malack was already a vampire for quite some time.
    I'm not sure if they were actual vampire spawn, or full fledged vampires that were sired by Mallach though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Not enough kilts, bagpipes, sheep, haggis, claymores, warpaint and slaying of the English(-equivalent) to count. Sorry.
    ...Who would be the British equivalents in this setting? Gnomes?

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Wrangler View Post
    Talking being a free action means you can do other things while talking. It doesn't mean it doesn't take time. So, if all you are doing is talking, then it is still taking up a round, or more, depending on how verbose you are. See https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html

25. - Top - End - #295

I'm not sure if they were actual vampire spawn, or full fledged vampires that were sired by Mallach though.
    Fair.

I wholeheartedly agree. Dwarves should kill more gnomes!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Probably trees.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would say the elves are much more British than gnomes.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I would say the elves are much more British than gnomes.
    Nah, elves are snotty Frenchfolk.

29. - Top - End - #299

Among all the other problems with that is that Malak was a reptile, not a mammal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Well, there are kilts at least: panel 4.

I imagine the flumphs as having upper class British accents.
    Last edited by Quizatzhaderac; 2021-11-23 at 11:23 AM.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

I imagine the frumps as having upper class British accents.
    I know, right? A snooty gnome with a monocle and top hat with a posh accent in the OotS artstyle comes to mind with no effort at all.

Extended sig here.