New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1248 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That sounds like overcooked egg yolk. Give me runny or give me death!
    My preference is for slightly thickened -- not fully cooked, but not completely raw. I'll tolerate hard-boiled eggs, but only if there's no other protein to be had.

2. - Top - End - #392

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    My preference is for slightly thickened -- not fully cooked, but not completely raw. I'll tolerate hard-boiled eggs, but only if there's no other protein to be had.
    If the yolk is rubbery and green it was boiled too long. About 13 or so minutes (if you put the eggs in from the fridge into already boiling water) should give you fluffy but cooked through yolks. Perfect for making egg salad or deviled eggs.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2021-11-27 at 09:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    If the yolk is rubbery and green it was boiled too long. About 13 or so minutes (if you put the eggs in from the fridge into already boiling water) should give you fluffy but cooked through yolks. Perfect for making egg salad or deviled eggs.
    My wife concurs with you, and has been lowering the boom on my technique - she wants repeatable results.

My somewhat unorthodox (Present) technique. I put the eggs in the water, then bring to a boil on medium heat, covered. As soon as it boils I leave it on the heat (electrical element) covered and let it finish for the next ten minutes or so. Pretty repeatable. She likes them while they are still warm. I'll try your approach and see if she prefers it.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #394

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    My wife concurs with you, and has been lowering the boom on my technique - she wants repeatable results.

My somewhat unorthodox (Present) technique. I put the eggs in the water, then bring to a boil on medium heat, covered. As soon as it boils I leave it on the heat (electrical element) covered and let it finish for the next ten minutes or so. Pretty repeatable. She likes them while they are still warm. I'll try your approach and see if she prefers it.
    I've also got electric. You might have to adjust a bit based on your elevation but unless you live on a mountain probably not. Also I misremembered and it's actually 14 minutes, oops.

With this method I like to go 7 and a half minutes sometimes too, results in eggs with the whites perfectly done and the yolks just barely starting to set.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Yes, i don't doubt there are some little things that are different. But do you agree that those little things are outweighed by the vast number of commonalities they share?
    Absolutely not. Differences in cooking are 10% big things and 90% little things. A large fraction of those little things are different and that adds up to a significant difference.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

6. - Top - End - #396

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post

For repeatability, you'd also want to be consistent with the amount of water in the pot. That heat reservoir / heat sink will affect how the eggs are heated. I think you're likely to get more consistency if you use eggs at a "standard" temperature (the fridge temperature) and water at a "standard" temperature (e.g. boiling) heated at a "standard" rate (e.g. medium on the stove). Then cooled in a "standard" way, e.g. plunged into a large volume of cold water.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Then cooled in a "standard" way, e.g. plunged into a large volume of cold water.
    My technique is to transfer them to a bowl, fill with water, and then cover with ice which will melt as they cool, the bowl being placed in the fridge. I have found that this usually makes the shells come off more easily.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society