New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1248 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Too bad it's a scroll of passwall, not a scroll of passfloor.
    Well, the word "wall" has a meaning "a barrier, an impediment to a free movement".
    Also, the spell "wall of stone" can specifically create even bridges:
    "Unlike a wall of iron, you can create a wall of stone in almost any shape you desire. The wall created need not be vertical, nor rest upon any firm foundation; however, it must merge with and be solidly supported by existing stone. It can be used to bridge a chasm, for instance, or as a ramp"
    (yeah, I know you made a joke, I just wanted to get real for a second)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    I just hope the party doesn't stay split.

Hm, we have a stoned Durkon (no cure for him currently, unless Sunny's ray was just temporary or can be lifted), an unconscious Roy and a very eloquent Elan. If Durkon can't be rescued right now, I am seeing Elan persuading Sunny that he and Roy are the good guys, and they go and find Serini right in time as she has overwhelmed V, Haley and Belkar.
    Apart from Minrah people already mentioned above, Elan also has a Song of Freedom ability, and Durkon even already was freed from petrification with that ability before

2. - Top - End - #92
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatedArgh View Post
    Dear Pantheon! Have I been reading this strip for 18 years???
    3.5 came out in 2001/2002, a little while before the first strip dropped and the OotS converted.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    I just hope the party doesn't stay split.

Hm, we have a stoned Durkon (no cure for him currently, unless Sunny's ray was just temporary or can be lifted), an unconscious Roy and a very eloquent Elan. If Durkon can't be rescued right now, I am seeing Elan persuading Sunny that he and Roy are the good guys, and they go and find Serini right in time as she has overwhelmed V, Haley and Belkar.
    It's permanent / instantaneous, but Elan can break it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    3.5 came out in 2001/2002, a little while before the first strip dropped and the OotS converted.
    Specifically, comic number 2 came out on October 4th, 2003. It’s been a little over 18 years.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

I love me some end-game passwall!!
    @Patt

Spoiler: Bleep bloop!
    Show
    "People are ideas." :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling-wordpress-com

T_P_T

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

June/July 2003, actually.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaily12 View Post
    If that stone on the other side leads to Serini's secret hideout...

...why do I have this terrible sense of impending dread that this encounter is only going to end with Serini having all of her memories wiped out?
    It's only supposed to wipe memories of their time in the north, (and replace them with fake ones), not completely wipe all knowledge and memory from them.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    It's only supposed to wipe memories of their time in the north, (and replace them with fake ones), not completely wipe all knowledge and memory from them.
    But she has made a cauldron of it, so who knows what improper dosage could do to her.

Also, is there anything more old school DM {scrubbed}move than Killer Floor?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-11-17 at 08:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    But she has made a cauldron of it, so who knows what improper dosage could do to her.

Also, is there anything more old school DM {scrub the post, scrub the quote}move than Killer Floor?
    Killer Ceiling?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-11-17 at 08:26 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Probably nothing.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Also, is there anything more old school DM {scrubbed}move than Killer Floor?
    The list of such moves is long and distinguished.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

11. - Top - End - #101
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The most old school DM killer move is probably a pit trap where the top closes, something heavy slides onto the lid, and then the pit fills with water. I'm pretty sure Gygax used that one.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    The most old school DM killer move is probably a pit trap where the top closes, something heavy slides onto the lid, and then the pit fills with water. I'm pretty sure Gygax used that one.
    No spikes on the ceiling?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #103

Ah, the old days when the fun stuff (the pit filling with acid and acidborn sharks) wasn't available yet!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Personally I’ve never seen the appeal of rogue-likes and old-school dungeon crawlers like that where paranoia was a prereq and you got screwed over by the most arbitrary and unfair things the dungeon designer could think of.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #105

No spikes on the ceiling?
    I think it needs spikes on the floor too
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Spikes on the ceiling, spikes on the floor, spikes on the walls, spikes inside your armor, pack, and the slice of pie your mom sent you, I think?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Spikes on the ceiling, spikes on the floor, spikes on the walls, spikes inside your armor, pack, and the slice of pie your mom sent you, I think?
    Yes, and that's before you come to realise that ♪all in all you're just a-nother spike in the wall!

18. - Top - End - #108

Personally I’ve never seen the appeal of rogue-likes and old-school dungeon crawlers like that where paranoia was a prereq and you got screwed over by the most arbitrary and unfair things the dungeon designer could think of.
    It fell especially out of favor when rolling up new characters became a more involved process, and you weren't just throwing characters whose stats meant they had no business adventuring into a meat grinder.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    I dunno, I can't help but question the logic of having a monster there at all. The lurker above slowed them down, yeah, but unless that trapper managed to kill all three of them all it would manage to do would be to mildly inconvenience one of them before they noticed the different stone anyway.
    In classic D&D, trappers were deadly if you didn't spot them. They'd catch some unsuspecting party members and smother them with dazzling speed. Even if the party sees it and kills it, its mass hides the secret door. If Belkar had not spotted the creature, it might have got them all. This creature is much larger than the lurker above that we saw. I enjoyed this comic quite a bit.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's skill/puzzle based challenge. For the rogue-likes, at least. The puzzle is to learn how to best manage the hostility of the environment so that you still get resources as necessary to proceed while minimizing the risk of catastrophe, and how to get the most use out of what resources you do come across. And then there is joy in the execution, seeing your overall strategy work successfully, seeing specific tactics work out, and being able to read situations and the environment and adapt to new things as you come across them.

It's a game that expects you to 'git gud' made for people who enjoy 'gitting gud'. If that's not your cup of tea -- or even if it is but you were going into the game expecting a completely different sort of experience -- then I can see why one would not find it appealing.

Of course, not all such games are well-written, and due to the increased penalty for failure, it's a far more painful experience when the game has problems on the unfair side (and I mean an actually unfair way, not in the "whoops I wasn't managing that risk" way). E.g. on the opposite side if this, RPG combat is usually pretty bad these days... but it's easier to overlook that issue because it's so gosh-darned easy that it doesn't get in the way if you're enjoying the plotline and visuals. Until it does at which point people complain about how awful the game is.
    Last edited by Hurkyl; 2021-11-17 at 11:14 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

I got burned on a rogue-like. Asked the creator on their Discord server and they said flat-out that it's not meant to be beaten by newcomers. I basically dropped it after that.

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #112

HalflingRogueGuy

Most important, who said V wasn't effective in this persecution? O:)

23. - Top - End - #113

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by BriarHobbit View Post
    If Belkar had not spotted the creature, it might have got them all.
    If Belkar had not attacked it, it would have done nothing. Just like Mimi didn't attack. His job is to conceal something, not to fight the party.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BriarHobbit View Post
    In classic D&D, trappers were deadly if you didn't spot them. They'd catch some unsuspecting party members and smother them with dazzling speed. Even if the party sees it and kills it, its mass hides the secret door. If Belkar had not spotted the creature, it might have got them all. This creature is much larger than the lurker above that we saw. I enjoyed this comic quite a bit.
    Actually, Belkar did not spot the creature. He made the assumption that there would be a floor based creature and stabbed the floor to test his assumption and just happened to be right.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Reminds me off:

Quote Originally Posted by AVGN
    "Couldn't there have been lava on top of the spikes, with fire-sharks swimming in it? Couldn't there be more spikes coming from the sides, ready to close in and squash me while stabbing at the same time? How 'bout some laser cannons and upside-down volcanoes?"
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

26. - Top - End - #116

And good work by both Belkar and V. Also, the stone inhibiting teleportation is an essential part of the dungeon; otherwise a Xykon could just pop into each tunnel and pop back out.
    Teleport requires that you know your destination. Even Greater Teleport requires that you have at least a "reliable" description of the destination.

No, paladins Lein and O-Chul. Soon died.
    [*snort*]

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    More credit to Belkar - not killing the floor monster.
    I noticed that too.

I wonder if Passwall will work on the dimensional stone? It's not teleportation after all.
    I think that the idea is that Serini ran to a location that had non-dimensional stone between areas, so she could teleport through that specific barrier. Passwall should allow the good guys to get through that same barrier. (EDIT: That is, she just went down a level.)

Do we know for sure if she's using a Teleport wand, vs. Dimension Door or some other effect? V uses the word "teleport" but also says that the spell has "middling range". Teleport has a range of 100 miles per caster level, while DimDoor gives 400 ft. + 40 ft./level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    With all these disguised wall/ceiling/floor monsters, I can’t help but recall the concept of the perfectly ordinary-looking room where literally everything in it is a well-disguised monster waiting to kill you.
    Ah, the Castle!

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Ah, the old days when the fun stuff (the pit filling with acid and acidborn sharks) wasn't available yet!
    Mutant, acid-resistant flying piranhas!
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2021-11-17 at 12:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

NinjaGuy

I got burned on a rogue-like. Asked the creator on their Discord server and they said flat-out that it's not meant to be beaten by newcomers. I basically dropped it after that.
    Curious, how do you feel about difficult game bosses were killing them on your first try is incredibly rare?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

We had a lot of fun with them for a lot of years. The environment was a hazard, the world was dangerous, and death lurked around every corner. Only the brave, the bold, and the foolish were adventurers. Glorious fun indeed. We used our wits and imagination to try and bypass hazards. (And 11 foot poles ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Yes, and that's before you come to realise that ♪all in all you're just a-nother spike in the wall!
    That too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    It's skill/puzzle based challenge. For the rogue-likes, at least. The puzzle is to learn how to best manage the hostility of the environment so that you still get resources as necessary to proceed while minimizing the risk of catastrophe, and how to get the most use out of what resources you do come across. And then there is joy in the execution, seeing your overall strategy work successfully, seeing specific tactics work out, and being able to read situations and the environment and adapt to new things as you come across them.
    yes, and the brainstorming by a group of focused, immersed players was part of the fun. "What if we pour some oil on the floor and see which way is down hill?" ...
    It's a game that expects you to 'git gud' made for people who enjoy 'gitting gud'. If that's not your cup of tea -- or even if it is but you were going into the game expecting a completely different sort of experience -- then I can see why one would not find it appealing.
    Player skill is a thing in most games. Heck, GiTP optimization discussions are all about player skill, or at least player skill at 'building' ...
    Of course, not all such games are well-written
    Understatement of the week.
    First time I ran into the Butcher in Diablo, on level 2, he killed my warrior. It took me some trial and error to find ways to beat him. That's a part of the fun of rogue-likes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncun View Post
    Actually, Belkar did not spot the creature. He made the assumption that there would be a floor based creature and stabbed the floor to test his assumption and just happened to be right.
    Hooray for the scientific method!
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I think that the idea is that Serini ran to a location that had non-dimensional stone between areas, so she could teleport through that specific barrier. Passwall should allow the good guys to get through that same barrier. (EDIT: That is, she just went down a level.)
    I'm aware of that I was musing whether that stone stops the spell more generally, not for the specific use case of chasing down Serini. Passwall works by physically altering the material rather than any kind of planar or phasic attempt to bypass it.

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Do we know for sure if she's using a Teleport wand, vs. Dimension Door or some other effect? V uses the word "teleport" but also says that the spell has "middling range". Teleport has a range of 100 miles per caster level, while DimDoor gives 400 ft. + 40 ft./level.
    It's definitely Dimension Door, Teleport is too high to be put on a wand. (It could also potentially put her off target by a factor of miles, whereas dimension door is much more precise.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #120

I'm aware of that I was musing whether that stone stops the spell more generally, not for the specific use case of chasing down Serini. Passwall works by physically altering the material rather than any kind of planar or phasic attempt to bypass it.
    Passwall certainly works on multidimensional stone. it's just that no self respecting sorcerer like Xykon would possibly waste a precious spell known slot on such a suboptimal spell.

I assume V's came from a random grab-bag booster pack.