New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1248 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Clearly OotS is not a game, as you say. It's a story about a group of adventurers loosely (increasingly loosely) associated with 3.5 D&D characters and opposed by 3.5 D&D monsters.

However, in the context of a video game (not a TTRPG) OotS is more rogue-like. If they collectively die, the entire world ends, and someday a new group of adventurers will try to truly seal away the Snarl.
    But that's not what defines a roguelike. The randomly generated levels and elements do.

(In some modern roguelikes, the game world doesn't reset after a death, either, but has elements that can be unlocked or upgraded permanently.)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Interesting that V decided to have Passwall from a scroll when before they memorized it (#857)
    Though I suppose it's possible they didn't have time to write a scroll of it up until now

3. - Top - End - #153
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    With all these disguised wall/ceiling/floor monsters, I can’t help but recall the concept of the perfectly ordinary-looking room where literally everything in it is a well-disguised monster waiting to kill you.
    Also, the room itself is a monster that has already eaten you.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    But that's not what defines a roguelike. The randomly generated levels and elements do.

(In some modern roguelikes, the game world doesn't reset after a death, either, but has elements that can be unlocked or upgraded permanently.)
    I think those are called roguelites.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Interesting that V decided to have Passwall from a scroll when before they memorized it (#857)
    Though I suppose it's possible they didn't have time to write a scroll of it up until now
    I know V seems to prepare lots of counterintuitively chosen spells (I mean, Bigsby's Cat Retrieving Hand?), but I can't see why they should keep preparing them.

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I know V seems to prepare lots of counterintuitively chosen spells (I mean, Bigsby's Cat Retrieving Hand?), but I can't see why they should keep preparing them.
    Probably because he keeps needing it for some bizarre reason. Since he keeps needing it, using it on a scroll would cost him tons of XP, so he keeps preparing it, because despite its counterintuitiveness and rather niche usage, apparently he says it keeps coming up.
    Last edited by Fishman; 2021-11-18 at 12:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Probably because he keeps needing it for some bizarre reason.
    Heh. Fair. (Although we've only ever seen them use it once.)

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

I don’t think V was expecting combat that day, so they prepared a bunch of utility spells.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I don’t think V was expecting combat that day, so they prepared a bunch of utility spells.
    Disagreed. The Order was pretty sure that if they don't find the Linears at the Gate already, they won't be too far away.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Disagreed. The Order was pretty sure that if they don't find the Linears at the Gate already, they won't be too far away.
    But they weren't planning to go to the gate that day, just to get some information from Tarquin.

And, in any case, the actual Bigby's Hand line of spells are combat spells. We don't actually know what spell V is casting for Cat Retrieving hand, that's just what he calls it when using it to retrieve a cat.

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    But they weren't planning to go to the gate that day, just to get some information from Tarquin.

And, in any case, the actual Bigby's Hand line of spells are combat spells. We don't actually know what spell V is casting for Cat Retrieving hand, that's just what he calls it when using it to retrieve a cat.
    I'm talking about Passwall, though.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm talking about Passwall, though.
    Oh, well, carry on then. My mistake.

Having Passwall on a scroll for a combat day is fine. That's what you do with utility spells you may not need, put them on a scroll just in case.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Having Passwall on a scroll for a combat day is fine. That's what you do with utility spells you may not need, put them on a scroll just in case.
    Could you use Passwall to drop an ennemy in the room below? Because that sounds rather useful in combat.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Could you use Passwall to drop an ennemy in the room below? Because that sounds rather useful in combat.
    Especially if its into one of those rooms will with spikes covered in acid where also the air is tiny razor blades.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's a touch range spell, so you'd have to be in melee range to make it work. Also it only goes 5 feet +5 more per 3 levels you have above 9th, so the most you can get below epic is 20 feet. It won't be enough to hurt anyone with fall damage, let alone kill them, but you could trap a single melee combatant small enough to fit into an 8 foot opening out of range and pelt them with spells which might have some niche usage in combat. Outside of a cramped dungeon, you'd probably be better off just flying out of range of all of the melee only combatants though, and inside of one using passwall to bypass, well, walls is likely to be much more useful than banishing one single enemy to the next floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Probably because he keeps needing it for some bizarre reason. Since he keeps needing it, using it on a scroll would cost him tons of XP, so he keeps preparing it, because despite its counterintuitiveness and rather niche usage, apparently he says it keeps coming up.
    Scribing a scroll of passwall would cost 562 gold and 5 silver, 45 exp, and take two days. For a level 17+ wizard those are negligible costs.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2021-11-18 at 04:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    It's a touch range spell, so you'd have to be in melee range to make it work.
    So, you'd fall too? That's too bad. It'd be some desperate move then.
    Also it only goes 5 feet +5 more per 3 levels you have above 9th, so the most you can get below epic is 20 feet. It won't be enough to hurt anyone with fall damage, let alone kill them,
    That depends on what's below you, though. Doing it on The Mechane or on a balcony would get more results.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Spamalot in the Playground

This is especially true for spells that don/t really depend on caster level to be effective. Even at minimum CL, Passwall lasts a whopping 9 hours and makes a 10ft. deep hole, which will get your party around most doors built into stone.

Also, the material component is one of the "jokey" ones

That depends on what other buffs you might have running when the floor goes away
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-11-18 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drop them through the floor with passwall, dismiss the spell. Let them find their own way back

19. - Top - End - #169

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    Drop them through the floor with passwall, dismiss the spell. Let them find their own way back
    It takes a standard action to dismiss it, so the opponents probably have a round to get through.

20. - Top - End - #170

That depends on what's below you, though. Doing it on The Mechane or on a balcony would get more results.
    "FOUL!"

"He's fallen out of the airship!"

21. - Top - End - #171

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    "FOUL!"

"He's fallen out of the airship!"
    Wow. That strip is 17 years old. Gah.

I absolutely LOVED FTL, and Into the Breach, and I'd add Haque, Cogmind, Heat Signature, Tangledeep, Streets of Rogue, Dungeons of Dredmore, Crypt of the Necrodancer and a few others to the list as well. For a slightly different take on it, UnReal World, Project Zomboid and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead are good too.

But people are probably talking more about the likes of NetHack, Angbad and Rogue, or games that draw heavily on them.
    Yeah, I spent a stunning amount of time playing Angband and Rogue variants. They were fun, but definitely not everyone's cup of tea and crushingly unforgiving. I have a screenshot of a character I was playing in... Hengband, I want to say (edit - I went and looked it up, it was Entroband), where I was going after the Chemist, a special, extra boss after the Serpent of Chaos. My character is almost totally out of healing potions, has like 8% health and is literally surrounded by powerful monsters. I titled it "I SURRENDER!" and then I suicided the character the next turn because there was no chance of survival or beating the Chemist and it'd have taken another game of playing to build the resources back up. Yet I remember it fondly.

Into the Breach, Slay the Spire and FTL were fantastic games (and FTL being so freaking hard only adds to its charm. I've only even gotten to the final sector a few times), and I also really enjoyed Hades. The production values and voice acting on that were way better than I expected. I've heard that Necrodancer is fun but I've never tried it.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2021-11-19 at 01:05 AM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You don't necessarily have to. You melee-spell-attack the enemy and open the Passwall aperture underneath and behind the foe, then let gravity do its thing while your character remains standing on the rim. Or otherwise give the target the "this is Sparta" treatment to tip them over the edge.

Doing it on the Mechane would also leave a hole in the hull and/or deck which would last until the spell was dismissed. But in terms of general falling distance and consequent damage, yes.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Wow. That strip is 17 years old. Gah.

Yeah, I spent a stunning amount of time playing Angband and Rogue variants. They were fun, but definitely not everyone's cup of tea and crushingly unforgiving. I have a screenshot of a character I was playing in... Hengband, I want to say (edit - I went and looked it up, it was Entroband), where I was going after the Chemist, a special, extra boss after the Serpent of Chaos. My character is almost totally out of healing potions, has like 8% health and is literally surrounded by powerful monsters. I titled it "I SURRENDER!" and then I suicided the character the next turn because there was no chance of survival or beating the Chemist and it'd have taken another game of playing to build the resources back up. Yet I remember it fondly.

Into the Breach, Slay the Spire and FTL were fantastic games (and FTL being so freaking hard only adds to its charm. I've only even gotten to the final sector a few times), and I also really enjoyed Hades. The production values and voice acting on that were way better than I expected. I've heard that Necrodancer is fun but I've never tried it.
    I have a similar memory of FTL, actually. I got to the flagship with only a hacking system, teleporter, fire bomb and a pike beam (the weakest one) and still managed to squeak a win out with clever use of those tools. Having a zoltan shield bypass helped, though.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is definitely on the light side though, unless you do all zone runs (or try to play as Aria, Bolt, Coda or Tempo). Fantastic fun either way and I highly recommend, however. The sound track alone is worth price of admission.

I've dabbled in NetHack and Slash'EM as well, think the farthest I ever got in either was a gnome archaeologist past the mall in the latter.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2021-11-19 at 05:12 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I played Nethack when I was maybe 15. I played on the difficulty where whenever you die, you can choose to be restored to full health.

Even despite that, I still failed maybe two dozen runs. Running out of resources, getting surrounded by enemies I can't hurt, or getting stuck by equipping a two-handed cursed weapon with no way out. The farthest run I ever got, I fought a vampire that drained levels until I went from 18 to 1. Haven't played since.

Props to anyone who can reach the end even with cheats, let alone when you can actually die. Anyone who does challenge runs or doesn't use the wiki would have to be insane.
    I like heated water, not heated arguments.

25. - Top - End - #175

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    Didn't Captain Jack Harkness do that?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

I’m surprised there aren’t magic traps that can do similar things already. Not custom magic traps, I mean in official material. Or at least something from the magazines.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #177

HalflingRogueGuy

Now I am thinking if that wall is the only wall between the dungeon and the place where the paladins are...

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Death Road to Canada is probably one of my favorite rougelike games, but I agree Crypt of the NecroDancer is great too.

Oh yeah, I should probably say something about the update too. Great update. I'm glad that Passwall scroll V mentioned offhandedly is coming into play.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

29. - Top - End - #179

Heh. Fair. (Although we've only ever seen them use it once.)
    Yes, but he told us explicitly it keeps coming up, regardless of whether we see it on screen, which explains his motivation for preparing it.

Scribing a scroll of passwall would cost 562 gold and 5 silver, 45 exp, and take two days. For a level 17+ wizard those are negligible costs.
    Yes, but I was talking about Cat-Retrieving Hand, which he has prepared rather than scrolled because he says the usage keeps coming up. So if he keeps needing it, that's why he actually prepares this spell rather than using it as a scroll, whereas Passwall is a bit more of a niche usage case.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Didn’t V use it twice? Once for Mr. Scruffy and once for Little Whiskers?

Extended sig here.