New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home - New Trailer

I'm both interested and concerned with this. This movie looks really overstuffed to me, and although all the individual pieces look good I worry about their ability to combine well in the runtime of a single movie. Spider-verse and Sinister Six in one movie is asking a LOT.

Speaking of which, the animated Spider-verse film was just a couple years ago, did we really need that in a movie again already?

Ah well, I hope it's good, and I hope it's not the last of the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I'm both interested and concerned with this. This movie looks really overstuffed to me, and although all the individual pieces look good I worry about their ability to combine well in the runtime of a single movie. Spider-verse and Sinister Six in one movie is asking a LOT.

Speaking of which, the animated Spider-verse film was just a couple years ago, did we really need that in a movie again already?

Ah well, I hope it's good, and I hope it's not the last of the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies.
    That's just kinda how the MCU does things in general though. They're less "intricate and well laid plot lines" and more "let's just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks!" It works for them because they're not the type of movies you want to think too hard about.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    Dunno why everyone assumes MJ will be saved from the fall. Spiderman in comics and movies has a long history of being motivated by the death of a girlfriend via fall.

Haven't had a good fridging for hero motivation in positively weeks. Classic for the win.

I'm pretty sure I saw mysterio in some preview or another. It could've been a flashback or a memory or a dream or something, but otherwise, there's your sixth member of the sinister six without needing Venom of any variety.
    Gwen Stacy dies when she falls, MJ gets saved. It's like clockwork. Also, imagine the ****ing screeching that would ensue on the internet if they killed off Zendaya.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spider-verse and Sinister Six in one movie is asking a LOT.

Speaking of which, the animated Spider-verse film was just a couple years ago [...]?
    Wasn't that movie precisely Spider-verse and the Sinister Six (and also introduced Miles Morales)?
    Last edited by Clertar; 2021-11-19 at 04:44 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Just smells like a giant ball of fanservice. Pass.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Also, imagine the ****ing screeching that would ensue on the internet if they killed off Zendaya.
    I am abruptly wanting to see them kill her off, then bring her back as an evil supervillain from an alternate universe.

7. - Top - End - #37

This is a sentiment I've been seeing a lot, lately. Spider-verse doesn't really need to be the default state of Spider-Man media. Heck, the darn near obsession with it has even leaked into the Power Rangers comics, what with the whole Shattered Grid storyline. Too much of a good thing can get old.
    Last edited by Delicious Taffy; 2021-11-20 at 12:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    This is a sentiment I've been seeing a lot, lately. Spider-verse doesn't really need to be the default state of Spider-Man media. Heck, the darn near obsession with it has even leaked into the Power Rangers comics, what with the whole Shattered Grid storyline. Too much of a good thing can get old.
    I don't think you can reasonably blame Spider-Verse for that given that they did their ultimate every-team-ever crossover literally the same month the Spider-Verse comic started (and it was based on the Super Sentai 35th anniversary movie from 3 years before that).

9. - Top - End - #39
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

We won't hit peak Spiderverse until they give us a big screen portrayal of Japanese Spider-man (The Emissary From Hell!) and his giant mecha Leopardon...
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-11-20 at 10:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

I mean, "what if there was more than one Spiderman" is a story that's been around with different variations since the 70s at least. It's one of his more common recurring stories. Also there are way too many Spider people in comics as a result.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    We won't hit peak Spiderverse until they give us a big screen portrayal of Japanese Spider-man (The Emissary From Hell!) and his giant mecha Leopardon...
    While that would be cool, we'd probably just end up with a modern update of that character, which would just lead us back to Peni Parker
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    While that would be cool, we'd probably just end up with a modern update of that character, which would just lead us back to Peni Parker
    Peni is cool, don't get me wrong, but she's still no Takuya. Heck, I'd settle for a Spiderverse 2 cameo where someone makes an off-hand comment about Spiderpeople who were just too weird to recruit, even for a team that includes Peter Porker.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-11-21 at 10:57 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Spamalot in the Playground

Peni is cool, don't get me wrong, but she's still no Takuya.
    No argument here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    I don't think you can reasonably blame Spider-Verse for that given that they did their ultimate every-team-ever crossover literally the same month the Spider-Verse comic started (and it was based on the Super Sentai 35th anniversary movie from 3 years before that).
    We don't need to talk about the Super Megaforce "Legendary" War. It was a pale imitation of the Sentai version. But I wasn't really "blaming" anything on anything else.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wasn't Takuya and Leopardon already canon in the comics anyway?

Also, yeah, if we can possibly have the 35th anniversary SS as far away as possible from any PR discussion, that would be great.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2021-11-21 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

What about a cameo from Yuu Onomae, protagonist of Spider-Man: Fake Red? Short series where Spidey goes missing, and a Japanese-American guy with a similar build stumbles across his suit.

The finale of the 90s animated series had a multidimensional team of Spider-Men, one of whom turns out to be an actor from a universe similar to our own (imagine if they accidentally recruited Tom Holland, basically); he feels too useless to join their mission, but ends up saving the day at the last minute. If you really wanted, you could reference two past media at once by slotting Yuu into that role.

And then there's Yuu Komori, protagonist of the 70s Spider-Man manga, who spends a lot of time morbidly depressed and fantasising about murdering the people who annoy him.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Wasn't Takuya and Leopardon already canon in the comics anyway?

Also, yeah, if we can possibly have the 35th anniversary SS as far away as possible from any PR discussion, that would be great.
    Yeah, he did get to show up and help in the comics Spiderverse crossover.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    …gonna ask for clarification here. SS = Sinister Six?

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    …gonna ask for clarification here. SS = Sinister Six?
    Super Sentai, if I followed the discussion. The original Japanese costumed-hero series that Power Rangers is built on re-using footage from.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Colossus in the Playground

Too be fair, the difference here is these are all well established and known characters to the audience, making it a lot easier to toss them into a blender and hit frappe. That was the problem with toby and his third. You had harry osborn as the goblin, the venom suit then brock as venom AND you had the sandman all needing to have their origin story and motivation and such covered in a single film. This time we can just go "OMG ITS DOCK OCK!" Honestly, I wanted a spiderman franchise to live long enough for a sinister six film for a long time now.

This all sounds like it can be an easy justification for a reboot, after all, holland is on record as saying he doesnt want to be playing spiderman when he is 30. And a huge multiversal collision like this can easily have reboot effects. You could even literally bring in a new actor to play spiderman in THIS mcu and justify it through dimensional shenanigans. Plenty of angst as mj and may want nothing to do with this stranger, the new spiderman isnt familiar with anyone or anything here, etc.
    Last edited by Traab; 2021-11-21 at 06:00 PM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Too be fair, the difference here is these are all well established and known characters to the audience, making it a lot easier to toss them into a blender and hit frappe. That was the problem with toby and his third. You had harry osborn as the goblin, the venom suit then brock as venom AND you had the sandman all needing to have their origin story and motivation and such covered in a single film. This time we can just go "OMG ITS DOCK OCK!" Honestly, I wanted a spiderman franchise to live long enough for a sinister six film for a long time now.

This all sounds like it can be an easy justification for a reboot, after all, holland is on record as saying he doesnt want to be playing spiderman when he is 30. And a huge multiversal collision like this can easily have reboot effects. You could even literally bring in a new actor to play spiderman in THIS mcu and justify it through dimensional shenanigans. Plenty of angst as mj and may want nothing to do with this stranger, the new spiderman isnt familiar with anyone or anything here, etc.
    If they went with that route I'd imagine we'd get Miles instead of Peter as Spidey. Which...the MCU's Peter already steals a lot from Miles anyway, so it's not that big of a change.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    If they went with that route I'd imagine we'd get Miles instead of Peter as Spidey. Which...the MCU's Peter already steals a lot from Miles anyway, so it's not that big of a change.
    For all we know we might get ben reily.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Super Sentai, if I followed the discussion. The original Japanese costumed-hero series that Power Rangers is built on re-using footage from.
    Thank you!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Also, to MCU's credit, it has a track record of handling newly-introduced ensemble casts courtesy of James Gunn's GotG. So there's at least some kind of precedent or template, and the MCU loves its templated movies.

It's pretty wild how many mulligans Fox had in making a good ensemble movie, but missed on most of their attempts. Sony blew both of its live action ensemble Spider-Man movies, with Spiderverse at least bringing Sony's hitting record to at least a 1 of 3.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2021-11-22 at 01:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

25. - Top - End - #55

If we finally got some 2099 representation, I'd be very happy.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

I can't see them passing up a chance to put Miles in the MCU. It's not a matter of if he gets in, but when. With the huge push for representation and how good the MCU is about being inclusive, and the fact that Miles is probably the best of those legacy characters...It just makes sense.

Not saying it'll be as a result of this movie, but it won't be long.

27. - Top - End - #57

I can't see them passing up a chance to put Miles in the MCU. It's not a matter of if he gets in, but when. With the huge push for representation and how good the MCU is about being inclusive, and the fact that Miles is probably the best of those legacy characters...It just makes sense.

Speaking of representation, I havent heard anything about the jane as thor thing that was announced a long ways back. Is that still on?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of representation, I havent heard anything about the jane as thor thing that was announced a long ways back. Is that still on?
    Last I heard all of next year’s MCU slate has gotten pushed out a few months, including Thor 4.

29. - Top - End - #59

You say that... But they basically already did Miles' story.

They just made him white, called him "Peter Parker", called Ganke "Ned Leeds", and replaced the orignal Spider-Man with Iron Man.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    You say that... But they basically already did Miles' story.
    Also, Spider-verse. It’s got a sequel coming next year 2022.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2021-11-22 at 04:20 PM.