New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Kingdom Death Monster

So I discovered Kingdom Death Monster during quarantine and its absolutely captivated me. A horror-survival game about growing a group of survivors in a nightmare land full of monsters where humans are at the bottom of the food chain? Sign me right up! Well KDM 1.6 is about to be shipped out soon with news on the Gambler's Chest and Black Friday sales coming up! And I'm lucky enough to be one of the people receiving it. So who else has played this? Any fun stories? Cool minis painted up? Tips or tricks without outright spoilers?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Kingdom Death Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    So I discovered Kingdom Death Monster during quarantine and its absolutely captivated me. A horror-survival game about growing a group of survivors in a nightmare land full of monsters where humans are at the bottom of the food chain? Sign me right up! Well KDM 1.6 is about to be shipped out soon with news on the Gambler's Chest and Black Friday sales coming up! And I'm lucky enough to be one of the people receiving it. So who else has played this? Any fun stories? Cool minis painted up? Tips or tricks without outright spoilers?
    Have you had a look through the board game geek forums? There used to be a lot of fun discussion and ideas on there although it has mostly gone quiet recently.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Kingdom Death Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Our board game group had one, but we never actually got very far... I know the guy who owns the box has finished a campaign or two solo and painted all the minis, but we never played more than three or four sessions. It gets very... management intensive, I'd say? So building it up and tearing it down got annoying.

You will either need a notebook or an excel sheet, is what I'm saying. Especially if you don't keep it permanently set up.

The actual hunts and fights are very cool, though.

Uhm, tips.... use your thrown rocks, they are very useful. Critical hits are where the winning is at. Pay a lot of attention to positioning and the targeting rules of the monsters, too. Use cover if there is any. There's no real ticking clock in combat, so fighting carefully and defensively can be useful. Sometimes your entire party will die because you didn't know what a monster would do the first time you face it, so don't send all your best guys on every hunt. Get armor soon.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-11-17 at 12:22 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist