New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XIX - Nobody Cares about that Stuff Anymore

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I mean scrolls and wands exist; in fact sorcerers probably use those even more than wizards.
    True enough, though I would suggest Qarr probably wasn't relying on a single-use item like a scroll. He was charming "dozens" of aquatic monsters for each attack, and presumably had to go underwater each time he wanted to gather the forces he needed.

The "cop drama" nature of those strips, and some of the dialogue between Lien and Hinjo, suggests to me that this sort of thing was becoming standard protocol after each regular attack (and presumably Qarr was acting in the same way each time).

Maybe he was relying on a wand or a ring, so would that be worth adding to his character sheet?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Outsiders do need to breathe, but you can hold your breath a long time and with teleport you don't have to waste any of that swimming around. TP to the place where the monsters are, charm them, TP up from time to time to get a new breath, lather rinse repeat.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post
    Outsiders do need to breathe, but you can hold your breath a long time and with teleport you don't have to waste any of that swimming around. TP to the place where the monsters are, charm them, TP up from time to time to get a new breath, lather rinse repeat.
    Well, if breathing is an issue, teleporting to and from deep underwater is just asking for decompression sickness (and compression sickness!)!

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Well, if breathing is an issue, teleporting to and from deep underwater is just asking for decompression sickness (and compression sickness!)!
    I don't believe there is any compression sickness as such.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I don't believe there is any compression sickness as such.
    I mean, I think that's my understanding as well, but if we're talking about real-world physics (plus teleportation, so we're not), then instantly appearing in a high-pressure environment would be all kinds of bad for you. Without time going down to equalize the internal and external pressure I think you'd probably be looking at a minimum of burst eardrums and water rapidly forcing its way into your lungs through your nose and mouth. Although I could be wrong about the eardrums, I'm not sure how much air there is as opposed to basically non-compressible liquid in your middle and inner ear.

Like any discussion of real-world physics, though, there's a case to be made (at least for the purposes of this thread) that if there's no RAW mechanics around it, then it simply doesn't work that way in a DnD setting...and in a world where the elemental planes are survivable environments if you can find a way to breathe, I'm prepared to accept that there's no such thing as water pressure changing at different depths.

*sets timer and waits for someone to educate me on a splatbook containing rules for deep-sea diving*

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    *sets timer and waits for someone to educate me on a splatbook containing rules for deep-sea diving*
    Stormwrack says the same thing the SRD does...
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Surroundings Weather & Environment, Environment, Water Dangers
    Very deep water is not only generally pitch black, posing a navigational hazard, but worse, it deals water pressure damage of 1d6 points per minute for every 100 feet the character is below the surface. A successful Fortitude save (DC 15, +1 for each previous check) means the diver takes no damage in that minute.
    ...with some reductions for creatures with the aquatic subtype.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    I don't think it is. Decompression sickness is a problem only if you spend enough time deep down. If you go down and up the surface very fast, like freedivers who want to dive to record depths, then you won't get decompression sickness. If Qarr teleports down to the depth and back up quickly and only spend as much time as he can hold his breath then I don't think he'll get decompression sickness, unless he does this repeatedly and spends most of his time underwater, teleporting up only to breathe.

But yes, he's also a Dungeons & Dragons fiend, so it's possible that some realistic human biology doesn't apply. Maybe his poison immunity negates decompression sickness.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2023-05-09 at 05:39 PM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Nitrogen narcosis is effectively "compression sickness" so yes that's absolutely a thing. Alternatively, it's possible it the term being used was just a gag at the fact that you'll just get squished and killed if you're instantly popping yourself somewhere very high-pressure without any precautionary measures.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a backup of the Shoulder pad guy icon since it might fall off imgur in a few days. Also Thanh , Niu , Isamu , Sangwaan , Kubota , Therkla , Windstriker , Daigo , Shojo's court wizard , Kazumi , Old Blind Pete , the Oracle of the Sunken Valley , Julio Scoundrél , the IFCC , Banjo , Giggles , Kaboom Redaxe , Shadowdancer , young adult Black Dragon , all from the smilies thread in case we ever want entries for them.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2023-05-13 at 03:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I reckon we're most likely to get new data for this thread in the next fight, which could very well be the Final Fight! Any guesses as to how many strips until then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MultitudeMan View Post
    I reckon we're most likely to get new data for this thread in the next fight, which could very well be the Final Fight! Any guesses as to how many strips until then?
    How many pages has it been since the end of the last book? I don't really track, but it seems to me like we have at least one more big plot twist to come--we need some sort of resolution of the arch-fiends plotline, plus the MitD reveal, as well as the resolution of whatever is going to pass between Durkon and Redcloak and their deities (plus of course, there's both the snarl and Xykon to deal with, although of course those two things might get solved at the same time).

It's possible we will get this all in one big, long battle scene but if i had to bet, I'd say we have one more misdirect or at least further escalation to go rather than just one battle and a denouement.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Colossus in the Playground

108.5 pages. For comparison, in Book 6, the Order were just leaving Godsmoot at this point and setting off for the town of Firmament - fights still to come included the Frost Giants, and several different vampire-related fights.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #313

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    It's possible we will get this all in one big, long battle scene but if i had to bet, I'd say we have one more misdirect or at least further escalation to go rather than just one battle and a denouement.
    Would a fake finale count as a misdirect? Big set piece where the good guys wait for the bad guys to bring the fight to them, mirroring the climax of book one. Then, I dunno, things happen, and more story after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

14. - Top - End - #314

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    Would a fake finale count as a misdirect? Big set piece where the good guys wait for the bad guys to bring the fight to them, mirroring the climax of book one. Then, I dunno, things happen, and more story after that.
    Maybe. A fake finale in itself, definitely not. But it’s hard to imagine how that would even occur without some sort of major plot twist reveal happening at the same time to explain why it isn’t the real finale.

The only thing I can think of with no twist would be Xykon losing but escaping to his Astral fortress so the party has to pursue him. The Giant COULD do it, but that’d be disappointing. The party had already done the “wander empty fortress and deal with traps and spells”. That’s just be extending the right for the sake off extending it.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2023-06-18 at 07:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

If we're guessing (which is kind of off-topic, but hey, maybe we can talk about the stuff people still do care about)...I'd say it's also very possible that the snarl winds up released, but there's more to come. Possibly because Redcloak and/or Xykon have control of the snarl and our heroes have to defeat them and/or we learn the real story of the snarl.

Major threads still left hanging include the meaning of the glimpse that Blackwing got inside of Girard's rift, as well as the IFCC plot and the remaining time V owes them off the top of my head (probably a check in with the Azure City refugees and any redemption arc for V will be relegated to the epilogue/denouement, but it's possible given the paladin presence here that we'll see some further Sapphire guard involvement in the finale).

With the MiTD also still to be revealed, I assume we will get a fairly epic confrontation soon (although a stumbling block for one or both sides before that fight is certainly possible), so maybe that will just be the rest of the book but I dunno, I'd be on having two climaxes to come yet.

16. - Top - End - #316

ElfWarriorGuy

Ballpark, what would Belkar and Miko's Attack Bonuses be?
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

17. - Top - End - #317

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Ballpark, what would Belkar and Miko's Attack Bonuses be?
    A little less than 20 if you count levels, Str, a modestly enchanted weapon, and penalties for TWF. That's my recollection from when I did the math on both of these characters. Expertise made a big difference. ಠ_ಠ
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Do we think the creature that Serini gave the empathy pea to should be listed on the thread anywhere? What kind of creature is that anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

a) I don't think so; two or three strips appearance and no given name aren't enough.
    b) Probably some kind of dragonkin. Could be a landdrake, or a drake, or a wyrm, or a pack dragon, or anything else. I don't feel like diving into all the different dragon-type creatures that are around to guess further.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

MultitudeMan: I think they're metalic dragons that are older than most of the dragons that we see in the comic and so have fewer instances of half-dragon ancestry. Half-Dragon templates give successively more “elongated features, […] and exaggerated teeth and claws” to creatures. You can see these on almost all dragons that we've met, because they have so many dragons among their ancestors.

But no, they shouldn't be listed in this thread. They should be listed in the Wrecan thread.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2023-08-12 at 12:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Have this final panel already discussed ?

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0929.html

I was initially thinking of Cleave but I remembered that in 3.5, you need to kill the initial target to use cleave.

So any idea ?

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

There are a number of martial maneuvers that let you attack two or more targets IIRC, and Tarquin's almost certainly a swordsage, so it might be one of those.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #323

There are a number of martial maneuvers that let you attack two or more targets IIRC, and Tarquin's almost certainly a swordsage, so it might be one of those.
    Your ideas are intriguing to me. Is there a newsletter? I would like to know more.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

A what? Swordsage’s from a non-core rulebook, not homebrew, if that’s what you’re asking.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #325

A what? Swordsage’s from a non-core rulebook, not homebrew, if that’s what you’re asking.
    It was a Simpson's reference. I guess it's dated. I just want to know more without accidentally kicking the conversation into a debate. What swordsage-y things does Tarquin do?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    It was a Simpson's reference. I guess it's dated. I just want to know more without accidentally kicking the conversation into a debate. What swordsage-y things does Tarquin do?
    He feels like a martial adept; and if he is one, all the throwing people about he does implies he uses a lot of Setting Sun, a discipline only available to Swordsages. Or something like that.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Several of his other unusual attacks he does can also be attributed to Tiger Claw or Stone Dragon maneuvers, which are also available to Swordsages.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

And so, why nothing is written about that in Tarquin entry ?

Is it because it is only speculation and that a lot of things could explain what he does ?

For example, why is it not even written something like "improved grapple" for the aforementioned times when he grabs people and throw them ?

I don't know the martial adept but I've googled a little bit about it and I agree that a lot of things make him look like one of them.

So is there not a thing here about it sounds like a duck, it looks like a duck so it is almost certainly a duck ?

What I mean is that it seems to be a lot of thing that we see Tarquin doing which are unusual and it seems that a lot of those things could be explained by him having some levels in this Class. So why not writing it ?

29. - Top - End - #329

Okay, this is way unfinished, but trying to catch the moment.
    ---
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0756.html
    Wis to AC: He slips out of the way a lot. Here he’s possibly flat-footed. He wears armor. So Wis to AC, but not a monk. Swordsage?

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0722.html
    Charging Minotaur: Stone Dragon 1 Strike — Charge Haley, Bull Rush her out the window, doesn’t have to follow.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0750.html
    Fountain of Blood: Tiger Claw 4 Boost — Defeat foe, cause fear in enemies. This is sketchier than charcoal on paper, but I was feeling lenient.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0850.html
    Death From Above: Tiger Claw 4 Strike—Leap into the air (from the pteranodon), attack Roy from above, deal +4d6 damage. Just barely fits mechanically, but the image is strong.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0851.html
    Counter Charge: Setting Sun 1 Counter—Ruin Roy’s charge attack, force Roy to move away from him (and onto the stairs)
    Scorpion Parry: Setting Sun 6 Counter—Snatch Haley’s arrow, “Parry” it into Belkar. Cheeky to use it with snatch arrow, but it’s dramatic.
    Ballista Throw: Setting Sun 6 Strike—Grab Durkon, spin like a top, throw him like a bolt from a ballista.
    Soaring Throw is fluffed as throwing someone high in the air and watching them land, so not the same.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0852.html
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0861.html
    Disrupting Blow: Diamond Mind 5 Strike—Successful attack causes foe to be unable to act for 1 round.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0860.html
    Hearing the Air: Diamond Mind 5 Stance—Gain blindsense 30 ft., +5 bonus on Listen checks.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0934.html
    Assassin’s Stance: Shadow Hand 3 Stance—Gain sneak attack +2d6. He’s using an assassin’s grip on that dagger, why not?
    Hamstring Attack: Tiger Claw 7 Strike: Attack, do 1d8 dex damage. On a failed save and rolling an 8, it’s -4 to hit for Haley, which I can see Rich getting really creative to draw.

Sunders Elan’s rapier: So many strikes include a sunder, looking for the right one still.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0876.html
    Crushing Weight of the Mountain: Stone Dragon 3 Stance— Constrict for 2d6+1-1/2 times Str when grappling. Malack credits Tarquin for teaching him this maneuver. It would cost Malack two feats: Martial Study and Martial Stance. It gives Rich an excuse to show Malack constricting Durkon, fleshes out the relationship between Tarquin and Malack, and hints at Tarquin being a swordsage, if he is. But it doesn’t help Malack grapple, it just lets him apply damage.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0761.html
    Swordsages are fluffed as being familiar with many kinds of combat. Tome of Battle intends this to mean disciplines, I think, but straying into things like pun duels makes sense.

There’s a scene in BRitF where a clown pokes fun at Tome of Battle, but it also explains to the audience how Tome of Battle works and shows how Rich would draw someone in a martial stance if he wanted to. (It’s a null, he draws the clown just standing there in an ordinary fashion)

Spoiler: Equal Time: Stuff I didn’t try to explain (yet)
    Show
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0757.html
    soaks a hit

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0820.html
    Tosses a dagger

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0853.html
    gets sneak attacked

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0858.html
    Snatches an arrow

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0862.html
    Tosses a greataxe.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0913.html
    One shot kill on Nale, but Nale is already heavily wounded.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0925.html
    More arrow snatching

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0929.html
    Double attack on Elan and Roy

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0931.html
    Uses Greenhilt’s sword. (Uses a lot of weapons in general)

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0933.html
    Dodges a ballista bolt.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0936.html
    More arrow snatching.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Aren't the sundering maneuvers all from the Mountain Hammer line?

Extended sig here.