New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XIX - Nobody Cares about that Stuff Anymore

Doesn't Substitute Domain mean we can't make any assumptions about what RC's Domains are based on the spells we see him cast then?
    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    Call me Hero,

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

I have a question about V's intelligence. It says they probably have a +4 headband because of being able to cast 4 level 6 spells at 11th level, except, how exactly does that make sense? The panel linked for that source is also them casting 2 7th level spells, which doesn't seem to be right also.

What I mean, is at 11th level, at base, they could cast 1 6th level spell, getting another for school specialization. From intelligence of 22, which is what the headband plus base 18 int seems to imply, they would get another 1 spell per day...

That adds up to 3 spells, where is the 4th coming from? If it isn't from a pearl of power, then V would need an int of 30. Does that mean V was level 12 at the time? Which is probably the much more reasonable answer than them having an additional 8 intelligence from somewhere. (level bonus (+1) (+1) at 4th and 8th, (+2) from a +6 headband rather than +4, and a book of int gain (+4) could explain that, but an increased level is also very viable.)

Edit: Reviewing the archives, I think I know what's going on. Firstly, the claim that they cast 4 level 6 spells at level 11 is just wrong. I read all between level 11 and 12, and the most they cast was two disintegrations. Disintegration, is a transmutation spell, so it can't be the specialization slot. Therefore V had a minimum *3* spell slots, 1 base, 1 specialization, 1 from int, which would match up with the claim of 22-24 int being made. So it was a typo, also referencing the incorrect page for that particular source.

Here is the correct link https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html
    Last edited by mehs; 2022-08-19 at 12:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Speaking of RC's Domains, isn't Unholy Blight an Evil Domain exclusive? Or at least not on the stock Cleric list.
    When did Redcloak cast Unholy Blight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

4. - Top - End - #124

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MultitudeMan View Post
    When did Redcloak cast Unholy Blight?
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1212.html

During the "negotiation" with Durkon.
    Call me Hero,

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1212.html

During the "negotiation" with Durkon.
    OK, so that confirms he's definitely used Substitute Domain at some point, as he's used 3 different spells which are domain-slot-only for Clerics (Hold Monster, Disintegrate, Unholy Blight). I suppose it does at least confirm that The Dark One can offer the Evil, Law, and Destruction domains.

Quote Originally Posted by mehs View Post
    I have a question about V's intelligence. It says they probably have a +4 headband because of being able to cast 4 level 6 spells at 11th level, except, how exactly does that make sense? The panel linked for that source is also them casting 2 7th level spells, which doesn't seem to be right also.

What I mean, is at 11th level, at base, they could cast 1 6th level spell, getting another for school specialization. From intelligence of 22, which is what the headband plus base 18 int seems to imply, they would get another 1 spell per day...

That adds up to 3 spells, where is the 4th coming from? If it isn't from a pearl of power, then V would need an int of 30. Does that mean V was level 12 at the time? Which is probably the much more reasonable answer than them having an additional 8 intelligence from somewhere. (level bonus (+1) (+1) at 4th and 8th, (+2) from a +6 headband rather than +4, and a book of int gain (+4) could explain that, but an increased level is also very viable.)

Edit: Reviewing the archives, I think I know what's going on. Firstly, the claim that they cast 4 level 6 spells at level 11 is just wrong. I read all between level 11 and 12, and the most they cast was two disintegrations. Disintegration, is a transmutation spell, so it can't be the specialization slot. Therefore V had a minimum *3* spell slots, 1 base, 1 specialization, 1 from int, which would match up with the claim of 22-24 int being made. So it was a typo, also referencing the incorrect page for that particular source.

Here is the correct link https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html
    I think you may be missing something here. In the last panel of #625, V casts Disintegrate at the imp, then casts it three more times in the next strip, but the error in the listing is that V was already level 13 by then, as demonstrated here, when V used Grasping Hand in the first panel, a 7th level spell.
    Last edited by MultitudeMan; 2022-08-21 at 01:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Is it just me or has traffic to this thread gone down significantly since its current title?

Added
    Shield
    Fire-starting tools; unlisted Haley's bag of holding
    Bounty paper
    Bleedingham papers (edit: oh right, he lost them in #793), sash outfit, and changed "no armor" to "no armor worn"
    Mind control spell (used on MITD), rock drawing spell
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2022-08-28 at 03:45 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

To be entirely honest, there haven’t been a lot of relevations since.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    That's true. But we could consider "CALG XX - The Most Important Thread In The Universe" and see if participation skyrockets
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That's true. But we could consider "CALG XX - The Most Important Thread In The Universe" and see if participation skyrockets
    "We have cookies. And cats."
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Look at it this way - if traffic dies down to the point that nobodu posts for a 45 day stretch, you can try that theory out significantly sooner.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Is it just me or has traffic to this thread gone down significantly since its current title?
    Look at it this way: you've gotten nearly two-and-a-half times as many posts as the Index of the Giant's Comments has in the same timeframe, and we've had a baker's dozen revelations. So I ask, which kind of stuff would you guess is closer to "nobody cares about"?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #132
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    "We have cookies. And cats."
    Please tell me the cats are a lie! Because if they aren't, I'm so leaving.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have had exactly that thought many times. If you want to take this overly seriously (and, hello, what thread is this again? of course I do!), I think the mechanism here is that Rich has taken another step towards even less Dnd mechanics (and yes, maybe that should read "fewer") in the comic, then he noticed he'd done so, made a joke about it, and we picked up the joke as our thread title. So it's more that the thread title and the reduced opportunity to speculate about stats share a common cause, and less that one caused the other.

I suppose, in any case, given that the pace of introduction of new characters hasn't increased, that even if there were actual statblocks, you would expect that, over time, the rate at which we obtain new useful information ought to decrease as we would have already plucked all the low-hanging fruit of easily deduced stats...

Clearly, it's time for an extended meta-discussion of how this thread works or what we're doing here and why. Or maybe a renewed argument about Xyklon's level, Tarquin's arrow snatch, or the rules behind Familicide...

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    Clearly, it's time for an extended meta-discussion of how this thread works or what we're doing here and why. Or maybe a renewed argument about Xyklon's level, Tarquin's arrow snatch, or the rules behind Familicide...
    We could enjoy some time by block stating users' avatars. Metastachydium is apparently charismatic to me, but not much dexterous.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

15. - Top - End - #135

We could enjoy some time by block stating users' avatars. Metastachydium is apparently charismatic to me, but not much dexterous.
    I can't say why but it seems like you would have high Con.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    Or maybe a renewed argument about Xyklon's level
    I'm not sure Xyklon has (had?) class levels at all; I'm, in fact, ready to posit that most of that meat on him was likely a pile of outsider RHD instead.

Hey! I'm plenty dexterous! Come back tomorrow (or the day after) and you'll see that I've, um, slightly rotated this leaf along its longitudinal axis?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I can't say why but it seems like you would have high Con.
    And as for Mr. Lee himself, if the ability to cast Raise Thread is anything to go by, he's likely at least a mature adult with 25+ RHD and a pretty bad touch AC.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    bad touch AC.
    Do I at least have an Awakened Bloodhound Gang?

18. - Top - End - #138

[Identifies reference.]
    [Adds "terrible taste in music" to the statblock.]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Vaarsuvius
    Feats: nor Still Spell.
    Would 178 panel 1 act as a better reference for this - 161 merely shows they have none prepared where 178 indicates they cannot prepare spells without somantic components.

20. - Top - End - #140

[Identifies reference.]
    Sample size is important.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

[Identifies reference.]
    Sample size is important.
    Wait, you're not talking about the segment on 3-2-1 Contact?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Redcloak, pseudonym (SOD)
    Skills: Diplomacy (SOD), Knowledge: Chemistry, Knowledge: Nature (SOD), Speak Language: Goblin (racial), Spellcraft; no Draconic (NCPB).
    Should Redcloak have 'Knowledge: The planes' added.

Rational being that he knows at least some of the spell-like abilities of a Quinton (panel 6) along side some other information (such as modron contracts, cognitive abilities etc).

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

He also knows about periodic elementals, elementals are identified with that Knowledge right?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

He also knows about periodic elementals, elementals are identified with that Knowledge right?
    They are, but he has already been given 'Knowledge: Chemistry' to cover elementals.

Edit: A justification could be made that he only has Knowledge: Chemistry because he said he got passing grades, and didn't so much claim to know the abilities of the creatures he summoned.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2022-09-01 at 11:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Given that Knowledge (The Planes) is a standard knowledge skill while Chemistry is not, I would be in favor of replacing Chem with Planes.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-09-01 at 12:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Given that Knowledge (The Planes) is a standard knowledge skill while Chemistry is not, I would be in favor of replacong Chem with Planes.
    I also support this change.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Same here.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Given that Knowledge (The Planes) is a standard knowledge skill while Chemistry is not, I would be in favor of replacong Chem with Planes.
    I have no issue with that - or with Chemistry staying.

I think Knowledge: The planes should be added regardless.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Given that Knowledge (The Planes) is a standard knowledge skill while Chemistry is not, I would be in favor of replacing Chem with Planes.
    As long as you agree that I can play the clavichord, because I'm a decent typist and both of those use the Perform: Keyboard instruments skill check, as that's a standard skill while Perform: Typewriter isn't.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    As long as you agree that I can play the clavichord, because I'm a decent typist and both of those use the Perform: Keyboard instruments skill check, as that's a standard skill while Perform: Typewriter isn't.
    Typing isn't a form of performance.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.