New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Wandering Inn

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Somebody needs to put Ryoka back on her meds so she at least doesn't have an excuse for her poor decision making anymore.
    Honestly she has improved so much by this point and I'll die on the hill here for this time.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Good Rabbiteater chapter. The series has a major point about the harshness of the leveling system, it requires a large number of people grind away to a small number o make a single high level character. Reminds me of Runelords, except the funnels isn't by intentionally funneling attributes but just throwing lives away.

Also the more times you do it the more the system is willing to accommodate you. Ceria earlier beating an adult creler 1v1 because she's killed one before and the game is rigged.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2022-03-17 at 11:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good Rabbiteater chapter. The series has a major point about the harshness of the leveling system, it requires a large number of people grind away to a small number o make a single high level character. Reminds me of Runelords, except the funnels isn't by intentionally funneling attributes but just throwing lives away.

Also the more times you do it the more the system is willing to accommodate you. Ceria earlier beating an adult creler 1v1 because she's killed one before and the game is rigged.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So yea in general I agree the harshness of what you need to overcome to level meaning that so few ever reach a real height sucks, but I'm not sure if I get the idea that Ceria was able to stall that creler only because she had beaten one before. It was more that she become stronger and wiser in how to use her power and her magic was actually kind of a good matchup once she realized how to better use it against something spell resistant. Also I think it was smaller. Rabbiteater continues to be the best and I want even more chapters from him at all times forever. Things are just going so damn well for him though and I keep waiting for a centipedes worth of shoes to start dropping.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So yea in general I agree the harshness of what you need to overcome to level meaning that so few ever reach a real height sucks, but I'm not sure if I get the idea that Ceria was able to stall that creler only because she had beaten one before. It was more that she become stronger and wiser in how to use her power and her magic was actually kind of a good matchup once she realized how to better use it against something spell resistant. Also I think it was smaller. Rabbiteater continues to be the best and I want even more chapters from him at all times forever. Things are just going so damn well for him though and I keep waiting for a centipedes worth of shoes to start dropping.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's illustrative that the characters repeatedly run into the same kinds of threats wherever they go. The Horns run into bandits, Crelers, and undead. Ryoka deals with immortals, Erin deals with dehumanized tribes, etc. I think the world not only is designed to level people, there's some sort of fate mechanic that repeats earlier encounters at a harder level.

The Horns seem to be being made into Named Adventurers that can ally with the Demons, they fight old threats like undead, Roshal, and Crelers and are internationally famous. Erin is helping to ally the Antium, Goblins and Gnolls for the fight against Sleepy, Ryoka is getting the immortals onboard and aware of the divine threat.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2022-03-17 at 02:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler: Eldavin
    Show
    I've begun to wonder how Eldavin (am I spelling that right?) could survive Teriarch waking, could he begin to level, how many levels would he need to be safe, would one be enough?

As a side-thought, if Eldavin can survive, how many previous Archmages heve been Teriarch's cast offs? Cognita's creator seems to be someone Teriarch didn't respect, is that one of his previous alter-egos that took flight?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Show
    I've begun to wonder how Eldavin (am I spelling that right?) could survive Teriarch waking, could he begin to level, how many levels would he need to be safe, would one be enough?

As a side-thought, if Eldavin can survive, how many previous Archmages heve been Teriarch's cast offs? Cognita's creator seems to be someone Teriarch didn't respect, is that one of his previous alter-egos that took flight?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like survival from him would require a very specific effort on his part to modify his body to be able to survive without Teri for support but even then I doubt he would be allowed levels or anything like that. I'm also fairly certain that this situation is probably pretty unique and that he hasn't ever done it before. Especially not with Zelkyr.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like survival from him would require a very specific effort on his part to modify his body to be able to survive without Teri for support but even then I doubt he would be allowed levels or anything like that. I'm also fairly certain that this situation is probably pretty unique and that he hasn't ever done it before. Especially not with Zelkyr.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Teriarch has been around for 10,000 tears, and we know he's had previous simulcra (he was confused about which one was current), if Eldavin can survive, which is still in doubt and may well be unlikely, then the chances must be that others have before.

The reason Eldavin doesn't currently have levels is because he is a dragon in disguise, if he became a half elf, who do get levels, it would be expectable that he would then be able to level up.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2022-03-18 at 05:05 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The reason Eldavin doesn't currently have levels is because he is a dragon in disguise
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure this is correct. I think the reason Eldavin doesn't have any levels is because he's a simulacrum, a spell effect. Breaking free from Teriarch wouldn't cause that to stop being the case, so it wouldn't enable him to start leveling.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    His plan was to use a ritual to turn himself into a real boy. Who know what might happen at that point.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure this is correct. I think the reason Eldavin doesn't have any levels is because he's a simulacrum, a spell effect. Breaking free from Teriarch wouldn't cause that to stop being the case, so it wouldn't enable him to start leveling.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm by no means saying that Eldavin must level, it seems to me it's possible, and it might be fun, think what he'd be like at level 1, or level 5, and given how powerful he is, how frighteningly fast he would gain levels, supposing that without Teriarch his mana wasn't totally crippled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Show
    His plan was to use a ritual to turn himself into a real boy. Who know what might happen at that point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, really? I missed that. Yeah, would he forget everything?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2022-03-18 at 05:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So someone on Reddit pointed out that Wyrmvr is based on Crelers. Which sets up Rhisveri saying that Creler's are based on Wyrms.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Fraerlings?

I get that it's part of the story, but I've yet to see more than hints that it connects with the rest.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Fraerlings?

I get that it's part of the story, but I've yet to see more than hints that it connects with the rest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the evidence suggests the Gnomes and Elves got eaten by the Gods. The Fraerlings are the connection between the Earthers and the bigger cosmological system.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, that was a bit confused. I'm not sure the whole thing isn't about to end.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, that was a bit confused. I'm not sure the whole thing isn't about to end.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So I had thought we were about two books from being done. After the last couple chapters I have revised that to about 5 or more if new problems pop up from there. Which part has been confusing for you BTW?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    So Teriarch was dead but now he isn't again? That's just bad, in my view.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So Teriarch was dead but now he isn't again? That's just bad, in my view.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He died briefly, but at that point with the auction being cancelled by Oberon it was really clear the scroll was going to be used for him.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

So book 8 is done, and it's planned to be a month before 9 starts.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm glad a lot of stuff has been resolved, kind of like what Belavier did to Plains Eye (which is bizzare, given who Belavier is). I doubt I have time for the rest if it's taken 8 years to get 1/3rd of the way in. I really don't have any patience for "the protagonist was told the entire plot but then forgot it" shenanigans.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

So book 8 is done, and it's planned to be a month before 9 starts.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm glad a lot of stuff has been resolved, kind of like what Belavier did to Plains Eye (which is bizzare, given who Belavier is). I doubt I have time for the rest if it's taken 8 years to get 1/3rd of the way in. I really don't have any patience for "the protagonist was told the entire plot but then forgot it" shenanigans.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, neither did the protagonist. It's why she refused to forget and literally broke the Grand Design to do it.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

I binged up until about 7 days ago (from Feb), still need to read the rest of Arc 8.
    Lots of stuff out of left field, like ghost general Sseryss who has never been a main character and super-awesome gnomes who fight, do magic, and build spaceships better than anyone else while also being nice, snarky (allegedly funny) and knowing everything. Too much brand new stuff introduced to solve problems for my taste.

Nothing's going to be able to top this arc/set of enemies, and it feels like after it's resolved it'll all be downhill denouement from there. Basically all of the big conflicts and battles that have been set up no longer matter.

Unless they actually get a portal to earth working. I'd rather the story end before that point. I hope there is an ending in mind.
    Last edited by J-H; 2022-05-07 at 11:02 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Nothing's going to be able to top this arc/set of enemies, and it feels like after it's resolved it'll all be downhill denouement from there.
    That may be, but I don't think these enemies are going to be resolved any time soon. At the end of volume 8 they're all at least temporarily out of the picture for one reason or another, and I get the sense that the next volume(s) will be about getting ready to deal with them when they return, with said return occurring at the actual end of the story. And the author's note at the end of volume 8 does say there's a definite end and some sort of plan as to how to get there.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    And the author's note at the end of volume 8 does say there's a definite end and some sort of plan as to how to get there.
    Yeah, but it also says that the story is somewhere between 1/3rd and 2/3rds done, which at a current time of 8 years, implies 4 to 16 years to go, the latter of which is a long time.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2022-05-07 at 11:36 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, I'll be happy if we go back to some smaller scope stuff. The continent-spanning disasters and wars haven't been as fun for me.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Yea I liked it as a big volume to really sell how drastically the end of volume 7 changed things and to pay off a lot of plot threads that came before but I wouldn't want it to be every book. Thankfully Pirate pulled it off and now we can transition back to even more people meeting people and other people.

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I binged up until about 7 days ago (from Feb), still need to read the rest of Arc 8.
    Lots of stuff out of left field, like ghost general Sseryss who has never been a main character and super-awesome gnomes who fight, do magic, and build spaceships better than anyone else while also being nice, snarky (allegedly funny) and knowing everything. Too much brand new stuff introduced to solve problems for my taste.
    Spoiler
    Show
    All of it was stuff introduced before though, we never saw Sseryss in the afterlife and never got confirmation he was eaten so it made sense he was somewhere doing something, and as a character who was talked about so much but seen so little it helped give closure to his and Zel's story. There are a lot of cool things he enables along the way as well but since you mentioned not being done I'll not go into detail. We also had several books now of buildup about how Gnomes were really damn smart and more advanced then anyone current could pretend to be. Of course they were going to show up at the big climax. Since you aren't done I will not go into to much detail here either but they really do get less done then you think.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, I'm caught up now. Yeah, they didn't do much, but a few references and some leave-behinds weren't a lot of buildup to me over the years.

Pirateaba could end the story here and I'd be fine with it. Most of the big main arcs are resolved enough, and the ones that remain are more side plots.

There's still plenty to cover, but little of it will directly focus around Erin or Liscor at this point. All of the big unresolved plot hooks are somewhere else.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Seemed sort of slow to me. I do like that there was a lot of text to it, short daily updates as some others do it can be a bit trying.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Yea the start is a bit slow, if you are worried about the updates being to short though I have some great news for you...

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Yea the start is a bit slow, if you are worried about the updates being to short though I have some great news for you...
    I was moaning about other webserials being short.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Teriarch and Rhisveri sort of fizzled?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

I think it ended exactly as it needed to. Ultimately, this was a matter if diplomacy and "face", not a fight to the death...even if Rhisveri really thought he wanted it to be one when he started it.